That winter, the wind blows

Novelist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 3: That winter, the wind blows

“Ohh, wheein-ah!” Solar got up from her seat and waved vigorously.

“Solar unnie!” Wheein rushed to the table with enthusiasm. “Wheein-ah, look how pretty you are now!” She pinched wheein’s puffy cheeks, and showered her with lots of praises. However that adorable girl let out a sigh instead, and showed off her signature pout. "Unnie~" 

“Wae?” Solar replied back in a similar tone, while stirring in her sugar and milk. Was that writer too much for wheein to handle? 

Not realising solar’s smirk, Wheein puffed her cheeks. “Unnie, I have been gaining weight recently…” She clutched her own head with both hands. “Ahh, is that because you are in love?” Solar propped her chin in her palms, her eyes narrowed. There was a hint of playfulness in her smile. She watched as a slow flush flooded that princess cheeks.

“I’m not.” Wheein appeared conflicted as she shook her head in denial but blushed brighter. “Miss, here’s your drink.” The waiter backed away as soon as he placed a cup and saucer of latte on the table. "There's no way I'm falling in love with her." Wheein broke into hysterical laughter as she's simply trying to suppress her feelings.

"Moon Byulie, you’re such a flirt.” Solar smiled to herself as she knew the other person is probably that charming lady.

Wheein breathed in deeply and blew the air out, in an attempt to calm herself down. She picked up the cup and sipped the fresh-brewed coffee. At that very moment, she felt a strange fluttering feeling in her belly.  “That’s my cup.” The sound of byul's sweet voice lingered in her ears. Puuuu!!! She spat out her coffee, nearly choked.

Solar paused for a while before offering her some napkins. "Thinking of somebody?" A mischievous smiled crossed her face. "Are you a mind reader?" Wheein muttered under her breath. Solar gave a high-pitched giggle as she watches the kid rushing into the washroom.

“Ahh! It can’t be erased.” Wheein gritted her teeth. She scrubbed the stubborn stains , but they didn't come off. “Jagga nim!!!” She clenched her fist tightly, blaming that greasy girl. Just a simple sentence from moonbyul’s mouth, was enough to mess up her mind. However, her lips still parted in a dimpled smile. Moonbyul's words came to her mind again, "I'm gonna chase you." 

Achooo! The workaholic sneezed as she crumpled up another draft. “Who’s thinking of me?” She scratched her head lightly. “Back to work!” She raised her arms high above her head and stretched. Her body was as stiff as a log. She breathed deeply, filling her lungs before buring herself in her work again.

 “I’m back.” Wheein finally returned to her seat. “Solar unnie, why did you call me out today?” Wheein took small sips of the coffee, preventing herself from spitting again.

The editor pulled out a file from her bag, with her eyes sparkling. “Here’s the details of the upcoming writers festive.”  She handled over the invitation card addressed to moonbyul. It was a golden opportunity for her writer to get to know more people working in the same industry.

“Writers festive?”

 “A ball dedicated to young rising writers in korea.” Solar clasped her hands together, squeezing them with excitement . She said with a proud expression. "Our moonbyul have been acknowledged as a potential writer." Solar thought to herself happily, just like a mom.

“But will she?” Wheein asked in a worried voice. “That’s the problem!” Her finger pointed at wheein. She heaved out a heavy sigh.  “As her assistant, please force her to attend it. It’s really important.” Solar requested earnestly, knowing how insociable that introvert can be.

“Force?” Wheein gave an awkward smile. “Yes, force. By any means. Bring her to the ball, by hook or by crook. I want her alive.” She gave a cunning smile. “You sound like a kidnapper.” Wheein laughed wholeheartedly before finishing her line ; “But I like that idea.” She go with the flow, her lips formed a sly smile. Those two looked like partners in crime.

Achoo! Moonbyul sneezed again, in the middle of her sketching. She tried to concentrate but she felt distracted at times, feeling stuck with her progress she exclaimed; “Whoever you are, stop thinking of me! I’m a really shy girl!” She slapped her own cheeks. 

“Ohh yes, and this.” Solar handed over her phone to the assistant. “Yul-wonhi?” Wheein read out the title. “That’s moonbyul’s fan club name.” Solar explained.

“Ohh!” She clapped her hand over , as soon as she realised the meaning behind it. “Yeong-wonhi.”

Moonbyul’s pen name is called Yul.  Yul + Yeong-wonhi = Yul-wonhi

Yeong-wonhi: forever

“For the next two months, you will be in charge of managing her social media.” Solar shared the password with her. “As you know, moonbyul doesn’t have time to do it. And even if she have, she doesn’t know what to do about it.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter