Chapter 5 : Turning Point

Promises (A SasuHina)

The constant beeping from the monitor finally awakened her from her dreamless sleep.

No nightmares, no dreams, and no hopes.

No more tears.

She had no more tears for her baby.

Sasuke had took them all from her.

Her head slowly turned to the door, he could hear the sound of talking, slightly muffled but she recognized it to be Sasuke's soothing voice somehow more irritated and angry than it used to be.

There were so many things that weren't the same anymore and she could count them off the top of her head if she wanted to.

With trembling fingers she managed to pull herself up, the bed shifting slightly and she could feel the sting of the IV in her arm compared to when she first awoke.

She was in the hospital.

The sterile smell of medication was making her nauseous beyond word although she knew she was more emotionally numb to everything around her now.

The muffled words had stopped as if they had realized that she was awake now.

The door slowly creaked open and her eyes could catch the faint outline of Sasuke's face.

The worry was evident on her face, almost remorseful when he saw her.

"Hinata, how are you feeling?" came his hesitant voice as if he was walking on egg shells around her afraid she would go berserk on him.

"How am I doing? You dare to ask me how I am doing?" she bellowed out, no longer that soft spoken wife he was so used to, she was only left with all this bitterness and hate now because of him.

He was stunned speechless, eyes staring at her with a confused and lost look as he took in her crazed and angered expression.

"I've lost the baby Sasuke, I've lost the baby because of you!" she screamed into his face, slim fingers grabbing onto his dress shirt and holding on, trying to shake him but with his build and height she was unable to.

The line of the IV trembled as his fingers caught her own, steadying her.

"There is no baby, Hinata," he replied calmly as she laughed outright into his face, barking laughter as tears streamed down her cheeks, a complete contrast to her humorous laugh.

"That's because I've los---"

"Hinata, there was no baby, there never was a baby." he replied adamantly, almost firmly while watching the bewildered look on her face finally change to surprise and then recognition.

"Why?" she whispered out, brows dipped in restraint, tears dripping down her chin and wetting the hospital gown.

"Why must everything that you tell me be a lie now? I thought what we had was better than this?" the agony was settled deep into her voice, eyes void of emotion as they stared at him, soulless and so very lost.

"Why Sasuke? Why?" She shouted hysterically, fingers curling, nails biting into the flesh of her palms but she can't relent. She won't relent.

"Hinata. Hinata!" he called her name, hoping to awaken her from this nightmare that she was currently trapped in, his heart shattering at seeing her like this.

God, what could he do? How can he save her?

"We can have a baby if you want, Hinata. We'll wait until you get better and we can plan to ha---" he started softly, smoothing out the tone of his voice calmly when her harsh glare came to his face.

It hurt him, almost like a slap to the face at seeing a look of so much hatred and spite on his innocent Hinata's beautiful features.

What has he done.

"We can't." she laughed out, tears dried upon her cheeks as she pulled her hand off of his shirt, knuckles white from the pressure.

"What are you saying?" he breathed out, his face almost like a lost babe's as he stared at her and somehow she could fear her heart twinge in regret.

"I'm not going back with you Sasuke." The finality in her voice made the statement even more true when she heard the words come out of .

She was doing something he thought she was incapable of... and that was leaving him.

It's over. It's really over now.

"Why not, Hinata? What's going on?" his bewildered gaze met her own as she swallowed down the rest of her tears, the will to point out his short comings was too great.

"Do you know why I lost the baby Sasuke?" she asked, waiting for him to be truthful at least once in their crumbling relationship.

"You don't understand, Hinata." he tried to explain, trying his hardest not to anger her anymore than he already has, calloused fingers the fallen tears from her cold cheeks.

"You don't understand! I know, Sasuke! I know every single damned thing that you have done!" she screamed, stepping back and throwing his hand off of her.

He disgusted her, she never wanted to feel his touch on her skin, especially after he has touched that woman with the same vile hands that have touched her.

"I'm tired of being left in the dark. Tired of waiting for you to return from your escapades. I know, Sasuke. I've known for a long time," the last words came out softly, lost and tired as her tearful gaze met his.

"It's too late, Sasuke. The moment when I lost my baby I promised that that was the last time I would watch your back as you left me. No more chances, Sasuke." her voice trembled at the end, tears stinging her eyes the longer she stared at him.

It was her conviction, her final verdict that scared him.

He swallowed before catching her fingers, watching her chest rise and fall in her rage when the doctor finally stepped closer to the couple.

The chaos and pandemonium was suffocating him and he didn't know what to do anymore.

Sasuke nodded to the doctor, resigned about the situation that was clearly out of hand now.

"Mrs. Uchiha, there was no baby. You were never pregnant."

.

.

.

A/N: So who saw that one coming?