Mors Voluntaria

Mors Voluntaria
Please log in to read the full chapter
MORS VOLUNTARIA final  

Jonghyun goes to sleep around midnight. It has been a long day and he's completely exhausted. He doesn't greet his roommate and best friend Taemin goodnight when he finally snuggles into his sheets despite the other being in the living room playing on their play station. He's asleep shortly after.

He's woken up a few hours later though, his ring tone cutting through the comfortable silence. He grabs his phone from his nightstand and squints when the light hits his face.

It's 3 AM.

His phone keeps ringing in his hand, an unknown number. Jonghyun contemplates not taking it and just hanging up on the stranger that has obviously gotten the wrong number in the middle of the night and go back to sleep but ends up accepting the call anyway. He guesses he can just politely tell the other that they have gotten the wrong number and go back to sleep. It should probably only take 30 seconds.

"Hello," he mutters and wets his lips when he realizes they're extremely dry. He has closed his eyes in the darkness now that his phone is against his ear and he's about to drift back into sleep when the other starts talking.

"I'm scared," they whisper and Jonghyun cracks an eye open. He can only see the vague silhouettes in his room but something about the others voice gets to him. He's about to ask who he's talking to when the other voice talks again.

"Help me," it says and Jonghyun thinks he can hear the other cry as well. With a little rustle Jonghyun sits up in his bed with his back against the headboard and turns on his bedside lamp.

"Who am I talking to?" he asks but the other doesn't answer his question.

"I'm so scared," they say again and Jonghyun nods a little. He sort of understood that the first time. "I have the pills right in front of me. I just can't... I can't... What do I do?"

The other breaks down crying again and Jonghyun decides that a name is not important. He can always get a name later.

"I'm too cowardly to do it," the stranger cries and Jonghyun sits there and listens to the broken sobs on the other end. He doesn't know what to say exactly. He has always been bad at comforting people, Taemin has always told him that. He doesn't know what to say whenever someone is hurting but he can't hang up on this stranger. There's so much hurt and desperation in the others voice. Jonghyun swallows the lump in his throat and drags his sheets a little closer around him.

"Talk to me. Tell me everything."

That seems like a good approach to this. If only he can get the stranger to talk. There's a reason they called him, right? It may be the wrong number but Jonghyun can't let the other kill himself. Jonghyun thinks it's a pretty good plan just to get the other to talk.

"I don't want to live anymore but I'm so scared," the stranger says and sniffles. Jonghyun is pretty sure the other is still crying.

"Why don't you want to live anymore?"

It's a daring question and Jonghyun crosses his fingers silently that it won't be the wrong question.

"I'm sorry," the stranger says and Jonghyun hears the sound of tin foil being broken and a glass being opened. It scares him. It scares him a lot and it doesn't make his anxiety any smaller when there's absolute silence afterwards.

"Hey?" he says into his phone but he doesn't get an answer. "Hey, you there?" Panic is rising in Jonghyun and he even contemplates hanging up and calling the police or 119 but how is he supposed to save a stranger he doesn't know and can't direct the paramedics to?

"Hey!" he says again, panic present in his voice. He gets out of his bed and slips on his slippers. He's going to wake up Taemin. Taemin can help him. "I'm scared," the other suddenly whispers and Jonghyun sighs in relief.

"Tell me what happened." There's silence again for a few seconds. "Tell me what happened!"

Jonghyun wills himself to calm down when he hears the other gasp.

"Oh my god!"

Jonghyun stands in front of his bedroom door, hand on the handle.

"Oh my god, I called the wrong number," the voice whispers scandalized. "I'm so sorry!"

"No, it's okay! Please just tell me what happened. Did you take the pills?"

He bites his lower lip and waits for the other to answer.

"I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry."

And then he hears a click and the call disconnects and Jonghyun is left perplexed the next 10 seconds. He tries calling the number again but the other doesn't pick up and Jonghyun can feel panic rising in him again. He can't go back to sleep now. Not knowing that someone reached out in misery. So he hurries into Taemin's bedroom and shakes the other awake.

"Taemin!"

The younger groans and turns his back to Jonghyun in his sleep. It's 3.30 AM and he needs Taemin's help and he needs it now.

"Taemin!"

Jonghyun shakes him awake and the taller boy turns around t

Please log in to read the full chapter