Hate to Love

It's The Little Things
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

To say that Jaebum hates Jinyoung is the understatement of Jaebum's existence. Jaebum doesn't hate Jinyoung because he loathes him with full passion. It's not just a simple hate, it's an abomination, aversion, repugnance, and other synonyms that mean extreme hate. It's not just hate, it's extreme hate.

 

No, Jinyoung didn't do anything directly to him. He just happened to be Youngjae's crush that happened to be Jaebum’s all-time crush. You see, Youngjae is this wonderful sunshine that lights up Jaebum's world. Unfortunately, he's on the different section from him. Youngjae is on the pilot section while, he, on the other hand, is not.

 

In Jaebum's perspective, he's not someone you can categorize stupid. He's just, as he claims himself to be, a genius by birth, lazy by choice. And also, according to him, he's not ugly. Sure he has small eyes, but that's his charm, along with his moles and prominent jawline. Have you seen him how he looks at his fangirls and fanboys? They say he's hot.

 

According to him, he's above average, way above average people. He's got broad shoulders and wide hips which are proportioned at its finest. His legs are also to die for and his abs, have you seen his abs? What more, he's the team captain of their high school basketball team. He's a guy you can categorize as a jock, but he's not that mean.

 

"If looks can kill, you've already murdered that guy not less than a million times." Yugyeom says, dribbling the ball, they're on their practice. The presence of his sunshine along with his archenemy frustrates him to no end. "I wish it could." Jaebum replies before stealing the ball from Yugyeom and shooting it. It earns screams from his fangirls and fanboys which made Youngjae and Jinyoung look at him.

 

Knowing that Youngjae's now watching, Jaebum shows off his skills more, but it doesn't seem like he gives the same effect to him. "If you're so jealous over that guy, you should just confess. You’re the basketball team’s captain yet you forgot to grow some balls." Jackson says before running towards the other side of the court. Of course, Jaebum wouldn't let anyone step on his pride so he runs after him and made him stay to clean up.

 

"Go and confess your century old feelings." Yugyeom jokingly says after finding out that Jaebum finally decides to confess. Jaebum walks and ignores Yugyeom's comment; he can always beat him up later anyway. And just as he was about to call him, he sees Youngjae running to Jinyoung's arms.

 

That's really it, he really hates Jinyoung. So he leaves them without saying anything. It is too noisy to hear what Youngjae is telling Jinyoung anyway. Jackson might be a little right because even after graduation, Jaebum didn't get to confess to Youngjae.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A year after.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jaebum's now a sophomore at Seoul National University and he's taking up Film. He chose that school because he found out that Youngjae was gonna go there, but it turned out he went back to Mokpo. So in the end, there is really no chance for him and Youngjae. At least, he gets into one of the top universities in Korea and he's taking up a major he genuinely likes.

 

His first year passed by in a blur, let's just say it's because he's brokenhearted. He joined the university's basketball team and his program's main org; he's pretty much very busy. He felt a little too tired after his first year, but it surely helped him heal his heart.

 

"Good morning class." The professor greets them; Jaebum is just silent at the back of the room. He doesn't hate mornings, but he kind of fell asleep last night way too late. "For your finals, I'm going to get you into groups, by twos and you're going to work on your projects together." Despite hearing that it's about their finals, Jaebum just keeps calm, trying his best to stay awake.

 

The teacher then continues roll calling all the partners for his project. "Im Jaebum and Park Jinyoung." With the mention of his name, Jaebum's head snaps up as it came with a familiar name. Then, as he tries to scan the room for his partner, he sees the same Jinyoung, his archenemy, shyly walking to him.

 

"Hi." He says, taking the seat beside him. If Jaebum were to be honest, he wants to punch Jinyoung's smiling lips and maybe spit on his face too. But no, he can't possibly do that, they are partners for a freaking project. And no matter how much he wants to get his revenge, he can't afford to get a failing grade.

 

"Hello." Jaebum replies, offering his hand. Jinyoung takes it and Jaebum has to admit that it's the softest hand he has ever held. The latter couldn't help but thank that Jinyoung doesn't try to strike a conversation. He stays quiet beside him, listening and writing down about the details of their project.

 

"So, when are we going to start and where are we going to do it?" Jinyoung asks as soon as the professor leaves the class. "We still have two weeks for the first draft." He continues, placing his stuff in his bag. "This weekend? At my apartment?" Jaebum replies, moving extra slow, to avoid walking out of the room with his new partner.

 

"Oh. Okay then." Jinyoung replies, moving to place his bag on his back. "Yeah, but let me have your number so I can send you my address." Jaebum says handing his phone to Jinyoung who immediately widens his eyes as soon as he sees his iPhone 6. By the looks of it, Jinyoung's also not used to type with such a humongous phone.

 

He also hands it back to Jinyoung with utter carefulness. "I'm gonna call you right now so you can save my number." Says Jaebum. Then he sees him pull out an old version of Samsung phone, the one without a camera. "I got it." Jinyoung says as he types and the keypad produces a loud typing noise.

 

"I'll see you around then." Jinyoung tells him before going out of the room, carefully putting his phone back to his pocket.  He couldn't help, but grimace at the sight of Jinyoung's old converse shoes. The sole's are too worn out and his backpack has a lot of patches to it too. Jaebum's speechless, he knows it's not good to judge, but doesn't really expect Jinyoung to be that type of person.

 

They went to an expensive high school and he face-palms after realizing that his school has a lot of scholars. Even SNU too, he suddenly feels bad for Jinyoung. But no, he's not gonna get swayed, he still going to get his revenge.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"You read the book already, right?" Jinyoung asks as Jaebum welcomes him inside his apartment. Their project is a textual analysis of Gone Girl, the book by Gillian Flynn. Well, what can you expect it's a Literature subject. "Yeah, I read it few years ago, but I read it again as a refresher." Jaebum replies, motioning Jinyoung to sit on his couch.

 

Jaebum turns to Jinyoung when the latter doesn't move. He sees him with an incredulous look on his face. "What?" Jaebum asks, sitting down on the other couch, turning his laptop on. "I just- You read- I'm sorry, I didn't mean to judge you, but you don't look like someone who reads books, especially this type." Jinyoung says laughing a little.

 

Jaebum snickers; it's not his first time to get that comment. He can really fool anyone with this, but really, he's one of the biggest bookworms you'll ever meet. "I know." he replies as Jinyoung finally sits down. "I didn't know we entered the same university." Jinyoung says as he takes his old laptop out from his bag.

 

"Yeah, me too." Jaebum then watches Jinyoung fumble with his laptop and bag. "Can I?" Jinyoung asks, showing the plug of his laptop. "The battery is broken, so I have to plug it in to use it." he explains after Jaebum points out the socket to him. Jaebum then forgets to control his expression when he hears the loud and broken sound of the laptop's opening sound.

 

"I'm sorry, it's a bit old." Jinyoung says bashfully, covering the speakers of his laptop. "No. It's okay." Jaebum replies, but he stands up from his seat and goes to his room. Jinyoung watches him for a while before turning back to his laptop, opening a word file he typed last night. Then he sees Jaebum coming back from the corner of his eyes. "Um, I started out my analysis already, so please read it." he says.

 

Jaebum places another laptop, on the table, beside Jinyoung's. Then he peeks on Jinyoung's laptop and sees broken lines on the screen. "Use this one instead." He says turning on the other laptop, but Jinyoung made no effort to move. "My laptop may not be as good as yours, but it still functions well." Jinyoung says and Jaebum could hear how stern it is.

 

"I'm not implying whatever you're thinking." Jaebum says and moves back to his spot. "I'm asking you to use a different laptop because I'm afraid that whatever you did can go to waste with a single stupid move." Jinyoung's still not moving from his spot, but he's scowling now. "Come on. What if we accidentally nudge the plug? Whatever you’re writing will go to waste." Jaebum tries reasoning out.

 

"The file automatically saves and it has its recovery capabilities anyway." Jinyoung says stubbornly which makes Jaebum roll his eyes. "Okay. Okay. Whatever floats your boat. But the laptop's still available, okay?" Jaebum gives up and opens his file as well. "I'll read yours and you read mine." he says and motions Jinyoung to move.

 

Albeit still scowling, Jinyoung moves to sit on Jaebum's spot and starts reading his analysis. Eventually, his expression softens which, Jaebum doesn't know why, made him a little happy. "Your points are really good." Jinyoung says while glancing at him as he finishes the last paragraph. "I didn't focus on that, but your points are clear and logical. Your references as well, are really good."

 

Jaebum tries hard to hold back his creeping smile. He's just a guy who likes getting his ego boosted. 'Of course, what do you think of me? Brainless up?' he tells himself. "I must admit, yours too are great, but before we celebrate, I think we have to think of ways on how to merge our points. We have to merge it without making it look like scattered thoughts compiled on pieces of papers."

 

Jinyoung nods at him then he stands up to go back to his laptop, but accidentally trips on the cord of his charger. "." Jaebum says, as soon as the screen of Jinyoung's laptop blacks out. Jinyoung plugs it back, but it didn't turn on anymore. "It's not turning back on." Jaebum says as he presses the power button of the laptop. It turned out the wire of the laptop broke.

 

"It can't be." Jinyoung whispers to himself as he takes the charger to his hands, trying to fix the broken wires with his hands. He tries plugging it back, but Jaebum pulls him back. "What the hell? Are you trying to get yourself electrocuted?" He says and takes the charger from Jinyoung's hands. And Jinyoung grimaces and sighs loudly.

 

"Uuuuugghh. Why did you have to break today?" he says, hiding his face on his hands. Jaebum should be happy seeing Jinyoung miserable like this, but he can't even bring himself to smile at it. "Ugh. Why am I so clumsy?" he hears Jinyoung say. "I told you, you can use the spare laptop." Jaebum says and Jinyoung hastily turns to look at him.

 

He closes his laptop and places it back in his bag, whilst pouting. "Are you gonna restart what you did?" Jaebum asks, albeit sulking, Jinyoung shakes his head. "I saved it in my flash drive." He replies as he plugs the small plastic into the laptop. Jaebum sighs realizing that Jinyoung doesn't have to write all over again.

 

Soon after they start working on their project, Jinyoung relaxes more and goes back to how he was before Jaebum urged him to use his spare laptop. "It's a research so we still have to make the other parts such as objectives, results and discussion, and other parts we missed." Says Jinyoung, as he saves the merged file.

 

Jaebum nods and looks at his laptop's clock and sees it's already nine in the evening. "I guess, let's call it a day?" Jinyoung says, stretching a little. "Yeah, but do you want to eat first?" Jaebum offers as he heads to the kitchen. "No, I'll just eat at my dorm." Jaebum expects that already, Jinyoung's a bit sensitive with regards to these matters.

 

"Come on, it's sad eating alone." Jaebum doesn't know why he said that, but it's true anyway. "Okay, but, I'm gonna cook it." Jinyoung replies, walking towards him. And they both laugh when Jaebum hands Jinyoung a pack of instant ramen. "Let's just put some eggs, I usually have a lot of food stock here, but I forgot to do grocery last week." Jaebum explains, preparing the casserole.

 

Jinyoung steals it and says, "I said, I'm gonna cook it." Jaebum lets him and move towards his fridge, looking for other food they could eat. A little later, he hears him singing

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter