Chapter 4

It Was Always You

The next morning, Jaebum woke up to that unfamiliar feeling of coldness. With Youngjae always wrapped around his arms, he had always felt warm. It was the best feeling in the world waking up to the feeling of warmth and comfort.

 

Getting out of bed and shutting off his alarm, he walked out of his room and was surprised by the sight he saw. Youngjae was awake. Youngjae never woke up this early.

They made brief eye-contact, but Youngjae timidly looked away, still embarrassed to face the elder.

 

“You’re awake,” Jaebum stated, his voice mixed with disbelief and confusion.

 

“Jinyoung woke me.”

 

And as if on cue, Jinyoung walked out of the bathroom, wet hair mixed with a familiar scent of his fruity shampoo he loved using. The smell of the steam from the shower and the shampoo was a mixture of masculinity and femininity, which described Jinyoung perfectly.

 

“It was easy, actually,” Jinyoung laughed, hearing everything they had said from the bathroom. He sat next to Youngjae and smirked. Suddenly, Youngjae’s face turned bright red. Jaebum thought it must be the sight of Jinyoung with just a towel wrapped around his waist.

 

This was nothing. Jaebum thought, trying not to scowl at Youngjae’s red cheeks. Youngjae and Jaebum had seen each other before, - and Jaebum had seen Jinyoung before. In fact, almost all of the members had seen each other before. So why was he blushing? Did he like Jinyoung now? Had he really moved on so easily?

 

Jinyoung looked at Jaebum with that same smirk, who was now standing in front of them. “You just gotta give him a peck,” Jinyoung’s finger met Youngjae’s lips, “and he wakes right up.”

 

“Hyung…” Youngjae whined. He was hoping that Jinyoung wouldn’t have told Jaebum about this mornings events.

 

Jinyoung had woken up, his face inches apart from Youngjae’s. And suddenly, he had an idea. He knew he probably shouldn’t do it, but he was too curious to see how Jaebum would react once he told him. Leaning in, Jinyoung kissed the younger boy, which automatically resulted in Youngjae’s eyes shooting open.

 

"Did you just kiss me?”

 

Jinyoung laughed. “Yeah. I wanted to see if it would wake you. Besides, you know I have the kiss bug.” Jinyoung partially lied. He really did have that kiss bug, but he thought Youngjae would sleep right through the kiss. He didn't expect him to wake.

 

Youngjae, wiping his lips, sat up and pouted. Jinyoung kissed the members all the time. And actually, no one seemed to mind his kisses. But that’s because they were straight, and to them, it meant nothing. But Youngjae, not being straight, did not want another man to kiss him. Not when it actually means something to him.

 

Jaebum was sure his face was a shade of red that he could no longer hide. His mind kept on imagining the scene in his head, like it was stuck on repeat. Jinyoung kissed Youngjae. Jinyoung kissed Youngjae. Jinyoung. Kissed. Youngjae. His hands automatically balled into fists, and he swear he might have punched Jinyoung if it weren’t for Youngjae speaking up all of the sudden.

 

“I didn’t like it,” Youngjae whispered honestly, which caused Jinyoung to pout.

 

“Why would you, though? You’re a guy,” Jinyoung brought up, a smile still on his face. He knew of Youngjae’s feelings towards Jaebum. He knew he wasn't straight. It was obvious. But he couldn't help but want to tease and get the younger flustered. Youngjae turned a deeper shade of red, if that was possible, and tried to slide away from Jinyoung on the couch when Jinyoung stopped him.

 

“I’m just joking. Right, Jaebum?” Jinyoung looked up at the boy standing in front of them, wanting to see his reaction for what he was about to do.

 

Jinyoung had wrapped his arm around Youngjae and pulled him closer to his bare body, eyes still on Jaebum. They were being touchy. Too touchy, if Jaebum was being honest. Had something else happened in that bed? God, he hoped nothing else happened. If something did, if Youngjae’s innocence was taken by Jinyoung, he wouldn’t know how he’d react. The only thing he knew was that Jinyoung would not be in perfect physical condition.

 

“I’m going to go wash up,” Jaebum announced, needing to escape all of the sudden.

 

“Actually, Hyung,” Youngjae suddenly spoke up, standing up quickly. “I was waiting for Jinyoung to get out so I could go in.”

 

Jaebum didn’t want to be left alone with Jinyoung right now. He was scared that if he was, he’d hurt him. “No,” Jaebum muttered, heading towards the shower.

 

But…” Youngjae’s thumbs were twiddling as he looked towards the floor. Jaebum sighed. Was Youngjae really this uncomfortable - this scared to talk to him?

 

Giving in once again, Jaebum walked away from the bathroom door and patted Youngjae’s back. “Go in. I’ll wait. In the meantime, put some clothes on, Jinyoung.”

 

As Youngjae walked in, Jinyoung left the room to put some clothes on - and Jaebum was both relieved and uncomfortable with the amount of silence that entered the room. The other’s boys alarms wouldn’t be going off for another 30 minutes.

 

“Jaebum…” Jinyoung mumbled, breaking the silence. Jaebum looked up from his hands and at Jinyoung, who was now fully clothed. “What happened between you two?”

 

Jaebum sighed. Jinyoung, for all the teasing he did, still had a soft heart. All of the anger he had towards the boy left his body.

 

He’d figured Jinyoung would know something was wrong. Youngjae had never slept with anyone else. He always found comfort in sleeping with Jaebum. Whenever one of the boys asked him if he wanted to sleep on the floor of one of their rooms, he would reject and say that he’s happy with his current situation. Which, unknowingly, always made Jaebum’s cheeks turn pink.

“I was an ,” Jaebum admitted as Jinyoung sat next to him. “He kissed me, it was nothing really. Just something to prove that he wasn’t as submissive as I said he was. And…” A pause. “When I thought he was sleeping, I kissed him back.”

 

Jinyoung couldn’t help it when the corners of his lips raised, forming a smile.

 

“But he probably woke up for that.”

 

“Yeah. And I guess...I’ve kind of been doing push and pull with him.”

 

“You confused him,” Jinyoung understood now, nodding his head. “You know he likes you, right?”

Jaebum nodded, looking down at his hands, feeling ashamed. “He told me. I rejected him. That’s why he doesn’t want to sleep with me anymore.”

 

Jinyoung sighed, although a smile still remained on his face. “You’re an idiot, you know. If you like him too…”

 

Jaebum’s eyes widened at the sudden accusation. “I don’t!”

 

Jinyoung, giving Jaebum one simple look, was able to shut Jaebum right up and tell the truth. Jinyoung knew him better than anyone. There was no use of trying to hide it.

 

"I just...I don’t know what I feel for him. I’m so ing confused.”

 

“When did all these weird feelings happen? After the kiss?”

 

Jaebum nodded, rubbing his forehead out of stress.

 

“You never could handle feelings well,” Jinyoung said, quiet enough so that no one would hear but loud enough that Jaebum would. No one knew that they had dated in the past.

After a long silence, Jaebum sighed. Suddenly he remembered that Jinyoung kissed Youngjae. “Why’d you have to kiss him…I really wish you would stop doing that. Kissing everyone. They’re going to get suspicious that you’re...you know.”

 

Jinyoung chuckled. “No one minds. With Youngjae however, I was doing it to prove a point. I wanted to see how you reacted so I could know for sure.”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“How do you think I know you like him? I was seeing if you got jealous. And guess what? You did. You should work harder to hide your facial expressions. You’re so obvious.”

 

Jaebum’s ears turned bright red, which caused Jinyoung to smile.

 

“I had suspected something for awhile now, actually. It’s the way you look at him. Like he’s the only thing that matters to you in this world. It’s how you used to look at me.”

 

Jaebum made eye-contact with Jinyoung, taking in his words. But before he could say anything, the noise of the running water stopped. Youngjae had finished showering. And as if on cue, the rest of the alarms in the dorm went off, marking the start of the day.

 

As Youngjae walked out of the bathroom, - unlike Jinyoung before, he was clothed. But not in his own clothes. He was wearing Jaebum’s sweatshirt and sweatpants. Since Jaebum was taller, they were a little big on him, making Youngjae look much more innocent than he was. Jaebum coughed on his own spit, shocked to see him wearing his clothing.

 

“I-Isn’t that mine?”

 

Youngjae, confused, looked down to see what we was wearing.

 

“Oh,” He nodded. “I ran out of sweats. I hope you don’t mind if I wear these today. It’s our free day, anyways.”

“They’re too big on you, stupid,” Jinyoung laughed, standing up and saving Jaebum from getting caught blushing. “Come on, I’ll do the laundry and we’ll get you into some clothes that actually fit you.”

 

As Jinyoung and Youngjae left the room, and the other boys walked towards the food closet to get whatever they could have to eat. Jaebum put his head in his hands, embarrassed.

 

Youngjae had worn Jaebum’s clothing before. Back then, Jaebum never got flustered. But now, now - it was different. He couldn’t stop thinking about how cute Youngjae looked in his clothes. How innocent, how untouched. He wanted to call the boy his. He wanted him to wear his clothing all the time. Jaebum, head still in hands, heard Youngjae’s voice in another room, loud as ever. And for some reason, the noise brought him peace. He hadn’t realized how much he loved hearing that voice.

 

“It was how you used to look at me.”

 

And Jaebum realized it then. He wished he hadn’t, because then his life would have been a lot more peaceful.


He was in love with Youngjae.