Chapter Three

Sickeningly Sweet

Yoongi's eyes flit to Jin every few minutes out of worry, despite the fact that he's been sound asleep for four hours now. After Yoongi had rushed him back to their room, the nurses gave Jin a tranquilizer so he could sleep through the pain.

 

It was terrifying to watch Jin shatter like a glass. He looked so tiny, and Yoongi hated it.

 

Yoongi shifts his gaze back to his notebook, rereading the lyrics he had just written: the thick color of a rainy day in Seoul, the racing cars, the squirming umbrellas all over the place. It's cloudy and the air is clear.

 

Yoongi sighs, bringing his pen down to meet the near blank paper. He twirls the pen between his fingers to the slow movement of the melody in his head. Tongue swiping across his lips, he delicately forms a string of words on the paper. Beautifully melancholic, the lyrics cry out on the paper, everything he doesn't dare say.

 

With the light pitter pat of water trickling down the hospital window, Yoongi feels the rain blending into his melody in a perfect harmony.Perfection.

 

Yoongi immerses himself in the beat, inking his emotions with every flick of the wrist.

 

“Mm.” Seokjin whimpers in his sleep, gripping the pillow in his hands tightly.

 

Yoongi looks up immediately, song draining like bath water.

 

Seokjin nuzzles his face into the pillow, softly crying out again.

 

Yoongi’s heart drops. He needs to comfort him.

 

Placing his notebook and pen to the side, he slips out of his bed, sock-covered feet shuffling across the icy, white-tiled floor. Yoongi carefully scoots Seokjin’s body farther to the right, and slides under the covers. He throws a hand over Jin’s waist, pulling him flush against body.

 

Tufts of light brown hair tickle Yoongi’s chin and he smiles, the flyaway pieces into a calm rest. Yoongi leans in closer, dragging in a deep breath that smells like vanilla and cinnamon.

 

He presses his lips against Jin’s ears and whispers “shhhhhh” over and over again to soothe whatever storm is brewing in the vulnerable boy’s mind.

 

Seokjin sighs contentedly, arms wrapping around Yoongi’s thin waist as he snuggles his face closer to the strong chest before him. He mumbles something incoherent then falls silent again.

 

Yoongi stares out of the window, eyes following the mini rivers winding down the glass, puffs of warm air breathing fire into his heart. His heart speeds up a little at the realization of their position: bodies tangled together like lovers, hands laced in his hair, breath mingled. Maybe Seokjin isn't so bad after all.

______________________________________________________

 

Yoongi swallows nervously, body being funneled into an MRI machine. There’s a loud revolving noise coming from every side, which only adds to his fright. He starts to wiggle uncomfortably to distract himself.

 

Suddenly, a voice echoes through the machine. “Yoongi dear, we need you to hold still for just a few minutes. I know it is a bit claustrophobic in there. Just take some deep breaths and try to calm down.”

 

Yoongi starts to nod, but freezes in his path when remembering he needs to stay still. He closes his eyes, trying to think of something happy, like song lyrics. Rain. Rain. Falling down...streaming on the windowpane.

 

Chest rattling from an intake of air, he pushes the crappy lyrics from his head. The walls are pushing in on him. He can’t even think straight.

 

“Are you almost done?” Yoongi’s voice is high and strained.

 

“Just a few more shots.”

 

Yoongi’s tongue darts out to moisten his lips.

 

Before long, the bed is sliding out of the machine, and a wave of fresh air rolls over him. A nurse walks over, rubbing Yoongi’s shoulder. “You did very well.”

“Thanks, I guess.” Yoongi replies shyly, bright red painting his cheeks. The woman is remarkably pretty, and he hates that she saw him so scared.

 

“You’re welcome.” She bows respectfully, hair cascading down and hiding her face. The woman helps Yoongi up and into his wheelchair, hands brushing down his sides as she lets go.

 

Yoongi’s face lights up like a police siren, crimson red. “What’s your name?” He blurts out.

 

“Sojin.” She smiles, pushing him towards his shared room.

 

“Sojin noona. That’s a beautiful name.” Yoongi grins bashfully, head hanging low.

 

A light pink dusts Sojin’s cheeks at the word ‘noona’. “Thank you…”


 

Shortly after Yoongi is dropped off at his room, Dr. Sungkyu arrives with the results of the MRI.

 

Yoongi sits up in his bed, bowing politely in his presence. “Annyeonghaseyo.”

 

“Ne.” Dr. Sungkyu nods. “I have some news for you.”

 

Yoongi his lips in anticipation, eyes flitting over to Jin’s bed to make sure he is still asleep.

 

“It appears that you have Stage 2B Hodgkin lymphoma affecting the right side axillary and inguinal lymph glands. It is the start of the advanced stages of lymphoma.” Dr. Sungkyu points to the pictures taken of the lymph nodes beneath his armpits and on the inside of the pelvis.

 

“So what does that mean for my odds?” Fire burns behind Yoongi’s eyes.

 

A forced smile spreads across the doctor’s face, not reaching his eyes. “We caught it just in time. Your odds of survival are looking… decent right now.”

 

Waterfalls threaten to break the dam that is Yoongi’s eyes. “I feel... relieved.” He chuckles quietly, dryly, fingers running through his hair repeatedly.

 

“Before we start your treatment, I highly recommend receiving the flu and pneumonia vaccine. Your immune system is already compromised by the lymphoma, and the treatment only heightens your risks of disease further.” He pauses for a moment. “Of course I will need to have a private meeting with your mother for permission first.”

 

Yoongi nods, words caught in his throat.

 

“If there is anything we can get you, just call the nurses’ station. Nurse Sojin and Donghyun are on duty tonight.”


All Yoongi can do is nod once again before Dr. Sungkyu exits the room, numb tears streaming down his cheeks just like the silent rivers of rain he had watched only hours before on the windows.