Hakyeon, Trailer 6, Resident 1

The Trailer Park

Cha Hakyeon is the oldest resident of the trailer park. Not in terms of years on this earth, but years spent in the trailer park. From what he's been told he was born in the trailer park, mother not even bothering with the trip to a hospital, and up until a few months ago, he intended to die in the trailer park.

 

He's read about Seoul, how life is in the big city. Taekwoon and Jaehwan talk about what they think Seoul will be like, but their views are so different that Hakyeon can't imagine either is really what it's like.

 

Wonsik told him he went for a school trip once, but he doesn't remember much about it except lights. A lot of lights.

 

He loves hearing Wonsik talk about things.

 

When Wonsik and his mother first moved into the trailer park, there was a rumor that his mother was going to try to evict the two boys at the dead end. But once Hakyeon welcomed Wonsik's mother into their single wide he knew had her won over.

 

And then he met Wonsik. He came up to their trailer muttering his apologies about his mother. The younger boy looked so pitiful on Hakyeon's porch. The poor boy had a tear in his jacket and his hair well grown over his eyes.

 

His voice was so low that along with his muttering, Hakyeon could barely hear the apology outright. He stopped Wonsik midway through the apology and motioned for him to step inside.

 

That night Hakyeon patched Wonsik's coat and gave him a quick trim. While Hakyeon worked, Wonsik talked. The who time Hakyeon felt his heart melting at Wonsik's deep, rich voice. Whenever the younger boy trailed off Hakyeon would ask about another aspect of his life, just to hear his voice again.

 

“Hyung, did you find your ID card?” Wonsik asks while he pokes lightly at Hakyeon's bag sitting next to the front door, packed and ready.

 

“I did, but you don't get to see it.”

 

“Why not!?” Wonsik whines, standing to face Hakyeon, “I'll show you mine if you show me yours.” Hakyeon knows he's talking about their ID cards, but Wonsik's eyes gesture differently.

 

Hakyeon tries to shake away his blush, “yah, stop that. It's been years since this picture was taken. Go into the kitchen and wash up, Hongbin and Sanghyuk are coming over.”

 

Wonsik freezes at the mention of the younger boys.

 

“Why are they coming over?”

 

“We need to tell them that we're leaving.” Hakyeon's eyes are trained on Wonsik. He knew Wonsik, the one behind the whole plan to move, hadn't told the younger two.

 

“What if they want to come with us?”

 

“They can't, Sanghyuk has school to finish and Hongbin needs to grow up a little more.” Hakyeon and Taekwoon have talked about this. They're both certain that Hongbin will insist on joining, but it's going to be up to Wonsik to say no. Sanghyuk only has a few months until he graduates high school, his grades more than high enough to land him a scholarship to a school in the city. But Hongbin... He's waiting for a way out.

 

And Hakyeon knows that Hongbin thinks this is his way out.

 

Jaehwan told Taekwoon who told Hakyeon that Sanghyuk told Jaehwan that Hongbin told Sanghyuk that Wonsik told Hongbin he was moving to the city.

 

“If you didn't want him to go, then why did you tell him?” Hakyeon asks, stirring the pot a little.

 

“Hyung!” Wonsik finishes washing his hands and joins Hakyeon at the kitchen table, “he's always at my place. Always. How can I hide that I'm packing from someone that I practically live with?!”

 

“Well, what did you say to him?”

 

“That I'm moving to the city.”

 

“Did you tell him that Jaehwan is moving to the city?”

 

“...No...”

 

“And what about Taekwoon?”

 

“Well, no that didn't come up....”

 

“Well what about me? Did you tell him I was moving to the city?”

 

Hakyeon already knows the answer to all of his questions is no. If Hakyeon were being honest, Wonsik has some growing up to do as well. Jaehwan undoubtedly has his together, and Hakyeon isn't worried about Taekwoon. As for Hakyeon, well, enough said.

 

“Hakyeon, I was just waiting until the right time to say something.”

 

“That I'm moving to the city, too, or that I'm moving to the city to be with you?”

 

“Well, when you put it that way...”

 

“Wonsikkie, look I know it's hard to let someone down, but the longer you lead him on the more it's going to hurt.”

 

“I'm not leading him on.”

 

“You're muttering again.”

 

“I'm not leading him on.”

 

When Jaehwan told Hakyeon about Hongbin's crush he was reluctant to continue talking to Wonsik. But as time went on it became clear that Wonsik was completely clueless. He still would be if it weren't for Taekwoon.

 

Hakyeon struggled with it for days, weeks, even. He'd hear Wonsik tapping at his window, pretending to be sleeping so the younger boy would leave. Nights went on until the tapping finally stopped. It was easy to avoid Wonsik at the park, Hakyeon hardly ever leaves his own trailer and when he does it's early in the morning, at an hour he doubts Wonsik has seen in over a decade.

 

It was Sanghyuk that convinced Hakyeon to put his feelings first.

 

And it was Hakyeon to tap on Wonsik's window that night, afraid that he might wake up Hongbin as well, but excited to see Wonsik again.

 

“Listen, I promise I'll tell Hongbin tonight.”

 

“Tell me what?”

 

Hakyeon and Wonsik turn to see Hongbin and Sanghyuk walking through the door. Hakyeon can see two shadows in the garage, Jaehwan must be here, too.

 

“Hongbin, Sanghyuk, have a seat, I'll go get Taekwoon and Jaehwan. Wonsik has something he needs to say.”