Hongbin, Trailer 7

The Trailer Park

Lee Hongbin is the only male in his single wide. This wouldn't be an issue if his household were the same size as the other guys in the park. Wonsik is the only male in his trailer, Sanghyuk, too. But Hongbin is the only male in his trailer... among four women.

 

Two girls and two women, really. Although for Hongbin it feels like four little girls. His two sisters share one bedroom and his aunt and mother share the other. If Hongbin had an actual room, a space of his own, he thinks it wouldn't be so bad. Instead, his only space is on the fold out couch Hakyeon and Taekwoon had in their garage.

 

This is why he's over at Wonsik's trailer any chance he has. Which at this point, is all day every day. Unless Wonsik's mother finally comes home, then he sneaks out of Wonsik's window and walks over to Hyuk's trailer. If Sanghyuk isn't home, which is more often than not, then Hongbin will walk to Jaehwan's trailer. And finally, if all else fails, Hongbin will hang his head and walk straight into Hakyeon's kitchen. Never Taekwoon's garage. He hates getting his hands dirty.

 

Luckily for Hongbin, Sanghyuk's trailer is as far as he has to go until he finds someone to hang out with. A reason to not be in his own single wide trailer. Wonsik's mother slammed the door on her way into their trailer, unknowingly giving Hongbin plenty of time to slip out of the window before she even thinks to check in on Wonsik. Not that the two boys were doing anything wrong, but knowing his mother, she'll start charging Hongbin a boarding fee for spending the night in Wonsik's bed.

 

Sanghyuk's mother is a lot nicer than Wonsik's. Hongbin doesn't have to enter through Sanghyuk's window, but he feels safer that way. The only door Hongbin walks through willingly is Hakyeon and Taekwoon's door. Because at that point, why does it matter anymore, right?

 

Not that Hongbin dislikes Hakyeon or Taekwoon. They're the closest thing to normal parents he's ever had. Maybe that's why he dreads seeing the two sometimes. Hakyeon constantly reminds him that he should be thinking about his future and Taekwoon is constantly shoving food down his throat. It's not so bad when everyone is over at their place, but when it's just Hongbin it's burdensome. Everyone else almost welcomes the attention.

 

Sanghyuk's mother and sister aren't home, but the two boys still make it a point to sit outside. Normally Sangyuk would be in school at this hour, leaving Hongbin to rely on Jaehwan for company. He's thankful that Sanghyuk is just as happy to see Hongbin crawling through his window this morning.

 

“What do you mean you're moving to the city.” Sanghyuk is less than happy at the news Hongbin just gave him.

 

Hongbin is too busy trying to make it to the branch Sanghyuk is already sitting on. He's not as limber and his arms aren't as long as the younger boy.

 

“A little help here?”

 

“What do you mean you're moving to the city.” Sanghyuk tries again.

 

Hongbin's legs are starting to shake. He can hardly think straight when he's in danger of falling flat on his back and getting the wind knocked out of him.

 

Finally, Sanghyuk reaches down and offers Hongbin a hand.

 

Once he's safely on the branch he does a bounce test to make sure the branch will hold both boy's weight. He lets out a puff of air he's been holding and makes a mental note to start working out.

 

“Wonsik and I are moving to the city.”

 

“Wonsik...wait, what?” Sanghyuk sounds a lot angrier than Hongbin anticipated.

 

“You'll be there soon enough, Hyukkie. Everyone knows you're going to be a big Uni student.”

 

“Then why can't you just wait for me?”

 

“Chill out, I don't even know when we're leaving. You're months away from graduation.” Sanghyuk is rocking on the branch, making Hongbin worry about the strength of the branch. “Hyuk, can you stop shaking the branch?”

 

“Hyung, what about your courses? Where are you going to live? How are you going to make money?”

 

More rocking on the branch.

 

“I'm failing anyway. I don't know all the details yet, I'll probably just find a job waiting tables or something, that's still a thing in the city, right? Hyuk, the branch...”

 

Hongbin reaches up to grab hold of a branch just slightly above their heads. He wants to stand, but he's afraid the branch will finally surrender.

 

“This is so... sudden. Are you sure this is a good idea? You haven't even known Wonsik hyung that long. What's his plan? He doesn't seem like one to have a plan...” Hongbin can see the gears working in Sanghyuk's head.

 

More rocking on the branch.

 

“I've known him long enough for him to want me to go to the city with him.” For some reason, Hongbin feels the need to stick up for Wonsik, “and of course he has a plan. Why else would he want to go to the city?”

 

Does Hongbin hear the branch cracking? Or is that just in his head?

 

He's about to beg Sanghyuk to stop his rocking on the branch when the branch stills.

 

“Hyung,” there's something in Sanghyuk's voice that wasn't there before, “who is all moving to the city?”

 

“Just Wonsik and I.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

Hongbin feels the branch start rocking again. “Of course I'm sure, who else would be going?”

 

“Hyung, did Wonsik really ask you to go or did he just tell you he's leaving and you asked to go with him.” Hongbin notices Sanghyuk is gripping onto the higher branch, too.

 

“What does it matter?”

 

“What does what matter? What really happened?” When did this kid get to snarky?

 

The branch isn't just rocking at this point, it's shaking.

 

“Listen, he told me he's planning to move to the city, that's all I got. I just thought it was assumed I'd be going with him. Why else would he tell me he's leaving? It's to let me know to start packing, to get ready to leave when he leaves.”

 

“You're delusional.”

 

“Yah, is that any way to talk to your elder?”

 

“He doesn't want you to go with him.”

 

“You're just jealous because you don't want me to leave.”

 

“So?”

 

“So what?”

 

“I don't want you to leave.”

 

The branch is still shaking.

 

“I'm sorry, Hyukkie, you'll be there soon enough.”

 

“You know he doesn't care, right? I love Wonsik hyung, but I love you too, hyung. I don't want you to get hurt.”

 

Hongbin snorts a laugh at how sincere Sanghyuk sounds. Like this kid knows anything about anything. Why would Wonsik not care about Hongbin?

 

He tries to think of specific times that Wonsik has made it clear he cares about Hongbin. They share the same bed, he let's Hongbin take showers at at his trailer, they hang out practically all the time. Of course Wonsik cares about Hongbin.

 

Right?

 

But Hongbin still doesn't know what kind of errands Wonsik runs at night. He really has no idea where Wonsik is whenever he wakes up to an empty bed.

 

Hongbin definitely hears the branch cracking, now.

 

“Sanghyuk, can you stop rocking on the branch?”

 

“I'm not shaking the branch, hyung.” Sanghyuk's voice is far away. Hongbin doesn't realize the younger boy is back on the ground.