Jaehwan, Trailer 5 (or 4 depending on who you ask)

The Trailer Park

Lee Jahewan hates that the single wide trailer he and his father live in is labeled Trailer 4 even though they live on Lot 5. This is because when Mrs. Kim and her son Wonsik moved in they moved their double wide onto lots 3 and 4. Jaehwan's father begged Mrs. Kim to keep the trailer numbers the same, but she refused. As a small act of rebellion, Jaehwan and his father kept their mailing address Trailer 5.

 

Taekwoon and Hakyeon had no issues changing their Trailer number, neither did Hongbin's parents or the rest of the trailer park tenants. Sanghyuk's trailer is lucky enough to be before the change, so there was no trouble there either. Only Jaehwan and his father had the issue, but for as long as he can remember, it's been only Jaehwan and his father against the world.

 

Until they moved into Trailer 5 and he met Hakyeon and Taekwoon.

 

The walk to Jaehwan's community college wasn't bad. There was still a little light left in the day and not as much of a chill in the air. The whole walk there Jaehwan talked Taekwoon's ear off. Telling him about the course he had that night and how much fun Taekwoon would have if he sat in with him.

 

The taller boy had been apprehensive at first, but Jaehwan's pout had eventually won him over. It was a lot of fun for Jaehwan to have someone in the class he knew. Especially Taekwoon. Had it been Hakyeon he probably would have gotten in trouble for talking during the lecture. If it were Hongbin or Wonsik there's not doubt they would have been kicked out of class for some type of mischief. Sanghyuk would never agree to go, he already has courses of his own. Technically Hongbin does, too, but Jahewan isn't sure if he ever goes to them.

 

Jaehwan loves school. He loves the smell of new textbooks, the way the hard plastic cover feels so glossy and clean, almost wet. When he told his father he wanted to enroll at the community college his father already had the application started for him. His father loved education, too. He's more of a hands-on learner than Jaehwan, though. That explains why Jaehwan's father went to a technical college, became a master plumber and a journeyman in the electrical field.

 

Whenever Jaehwan would glance at Taekwoon to see if he was actually enjoying the lecture those cat eyes would be staring right back at him. He'd receive a finger pointing towards the front of the class, his hyung's silent way of telling him to pay attention.

 

He asked Taekwoon once if he ever thought about enrolling in classes. Taekwoon simply shook his head and continued working under the hood of a car in his and Hakyeon's garage. When he mentioned technical college like his father had done he could see the older boy pause in his work. Jaehwan thinks Taekwoon is a lot like his father. Quiet, strong, good with his hands. While Jaehwan isn't weak, he's not the strongest guy in the park, most definitely not the quietest. Since the first time Jaehwan mentioned technical college to Taekwoon he's tried to drop other bits of information about the school. Until one day Taekwoon stopped working abruptly after Jaehwan presented him a brochure to the technical college that shares the same campus as his community college. Taekwoon actually turned off the light in the garage and walked out, leaving Jaehwan alone. After that, Jaehwan hasn't it brought it up since.

 

“Thanks for walking with me, hyung.” Jaehwan hooks his thumbs through the loops on his backpack. He sneaks a glance at Taekwoon, holding his flashlight loosely in his right hand.

 

“It's dangerous walking by yourself.” Whenever the headlights of a car come into view Taekwoon will lift the flashlight and turn it on, notifying the car of their presence.

 

“It's not that dangerous,” Jaehwan tries to downplay Taekwoon's concern.

 

There's headlights from a car, but both boys can hear it before they see it. Jaehwan notices Taekwoon flashes his light a little longer for this car. The car still doesn't seem to notice the walkers, or it doesn't care. Jaehwan feels a strong shove that almost knocks him down, but a hold just as strong keeps him standing. Taekwoon has them off the road completely. Normally, cars will veer to the other side of the road as long as there aren't any passing cars. If anything, they'll slow, making sure both driver and walkers feel safe.

 

Taekwoon's arm is wrapped around Jaehwan, shielding the younger boy from the road as if something bad were happening on the pavement. Jaehwan can see Taekwoon flipping the bird with the hand he holds the flashlight in.

 

“Hyung, I'm fine,” Jaehwan whines slightly and tries to wiggle from his grasp.

 

“Sorry.” Taekwoon looks more shook up than Jaehwan thinks he should be. It had just been a careless car, they had plenty of time to get out of the way.

 

The two walk in silence again, but Jaehwan can hear that Taekwoon's breathing still hasn't calmed. His breaths come out ragged, like he had just ran five miles. Jaehwan also notices that the flashlight is now on during their full walk, rather than just when they see a car.

 

“Taekwoonie, are you okay?” He's worried that he's upset the older boy when he broke contact.

 

“I was just worried you were going to get hurt.”

 

Jaehwan's hand finds Taekwoon's free one in the dark. He feels Taekwoon's hand give a little squeeze. A deep breath is exhaled and the two walk back to the park in silence.