06 -

Unknown Mate

s06 -

 

 

Indeed, just like Kris told him, in the news board of the dorm’s lobby was a publicity poster, quite simple in design, explaining briefly how to contact the small group of assistants that worked inside campus; one could tell by the low quality of the poster that the college branches weren’t as professional as the main company, but he didn’t exactly have options at that point so he called the first listed number late enough that he assumed the male wouldn’t be in a class, yet no one answered, the second was the same and so in his third try Kyungsoo was greeted by the heavenly voice of Cho Kyuhyun, a third year alpha, the guy was handsome and tall to boot, so the omega was pleased  when the guy knocked on his room the following week, ready to do his job, or non-job, considering he doesn’t get paid for it. Kris explained it once when he asked for further clarification, it’s a weird system and works more like a charity, omegas get their heat taken care of and college lads get laid, basically they just sign in for the service because they just want , not that one could complain in a semi-coherent state, plus it’s free so no one really cares.

 

But Kyungsoo only required that service once, because next thing he knows, Kris is texting him the time and adress where he is to meet his destined mate. The taller never did explain how exactly is he so sure that the guy is the one, he simply mentions is a coworker, his hobae in the company and not too close of a friend, simply one he gets along with.

 

As Kyungsoo currently waits for the man to arrive at the cafe he can’t help but check his appearance for the hundredth time, fidget and give himself a pep talk, trying to prepare himself mentally to meet the man he is genetically programmed to fall crazy in love with and viceversa.

 

Then he walks in and Kyungsoo just knows it's him: Tall, strong built yet not visibly muscular, black hair porpusfully messy, tan skin and lips so plump he can't help but bite his own when his eyes land on them.

 


Jongin was sweating bullets, torpedos maybe. He was so nervous you could see his hands shaking from a mile away.

 

 

He didn’t even need to see him, even though the boy stood up politely as he entered, he didn’t need to, with just a whiff of his scent Jongin already knew who it was, his mate.

 

 

He could always go on a rant about how perfect he looked, about those beautiful doe eyes, that pretty nose, that heart shaped smile, the milky white skin, the lush thighs, the narrow shoulders, the lean neck…

 

 

It was all making his mouth water.

 

 

“M-m-ma...mate” he stuttered dumbly once he stood in front of the petite omega, loving their height difference. The boy giggled and he winced at the pathetic first impression he was giving him, trying to reign his wolf in so he could form words “I’m Kai… I-I mean! Jongin! I’m Jongin!” he corrected, unable to contain the blush of embarrassment nor the hand that flew to his forehead in an instinctual facepalm at his idiocy.

 
 

“Want to seat down first?” the omega offered, sounding so unaffected and amused that he felt like crying “I’m Kyungsoo by the way” and that voice was so deep for a man his size yet so melodious he felt like melting, his erted mind conjuring up thoughts it shouldn’t about that velvet voice out his name while his kno- stop! Kim Jongin focus!

 

 

But Kim Jongin didn’t focus in time, landing on the hard café floor as he accidentally missed the chair.

 
 

He wanted to die right then and there, but then the most beautiful sound filled the space and he could only stare in admiration, moans all forgotten at the sound of that cool laughter, rich and uncontained.

 

 

He decided he could fall a hundred times over just to hear that laugh, watch those big owl eyes crinkled into adorable crescents, plush lips pulled up in the shape of a heart.

 

 

Everything about Kyungsoo was so precious. Even if he hadn’t been his destined mate, he would have still fallen crazy in love.

 

 

 
 

“No way! You gave him a !?”

 

 

“Well, the smell of your heat was all over his , what was I supposed to do!?” He tried to defend, fully realising how weak of an argument that was, cringing at the memory as he retold the happenings of their first indirect meeting, happy that his embarrassing behaviour could put such a wide smile on his mate’s luscious lips.

 

 

“Well, anything but that!” he laughed loudly until the waiter came to their table to ask them to mind the volume, this put a blush on his cheeks and made Jongin chuckle instead at his reaction to the reprimand.

 

 

Kyungsoo himself shared the story of how him and Kris came to be so close, igniting the tiniest flame of jealousy within Jongin. While he knew Kris very well, and was sure Kyungsoo wasn’t his type and their relationship would never escalate to anything of romantic nature, despite the amicable closeness and ual compatibility, it was precisely those two things that he envied most, the fact that they knew each other so well and spoke about the other so fondly. Kris was one year ahead of him in getting to know Kyungsoo and bonding with him, and that made his chest hurt. He wanted to be the only with access to all those intimate memories, the only one who knew all the little things.


 

If there is one thing Kai will always hate about his job is the few occasions when he gets called in by a newbie, those who don't know any better and have a very small (borderline non-existent) grasp of the meaning of heat assistance, those idiots who think that just because the was good, then they must be soul mates. It is annoying beyond measure and bad for the business because those clients have to be blacklisted, for the safety of the employees, but that doesn't always work. Kai himself has had his handful of clients fall in love with him and several have stalked him when they were denied service.

 

Having a stalker is always an adventure, albeit not of the fun kind.

 

If only they would just spy you from the shadows, steal your underwear and to the smell of it; you know, those disgusting things erts do.

 

Most do, some harass him in the office or even his apartment, send him things, call him, nothing deadly. He tries his best to not encourage them until they get the message and stop.

 

If only it were always that simple, if only their obsession would stop there.

 

Amongst wolves, attachment issues are much more common, triggered by the usual childhood experiences with abandonment, harsh break ups  and such, just like humans, but more severe due to their nature; they’re pack animals and long for the feeling of belonging.

 

In modern times, however, wolves have adapted to living amongst humans, they had fought against humans for recognition and equality, freedom to roam the land but the humans were too many and their technology and weoponary much more advanced. The war came to an end and both parts compromised, many lives were lost but at their cost, the survivors gained acceptance and the chance to live freely alongside the human race, which remained a vast majority and as the humble minority, werewolves were forced to change their ways of living to fit into society.

 

The first and probably worst was no more packs: they live with their families and partners, but packs of wolves were to never be formed, because an organized group of them posed a threat to humanity, or so they thought, fearing a second war of the races for the throne of the leading species.

 

And as a result of this abrupt change, many became mentally unstable after the breaking of pack bonds and the killing of some rebellious head alphas. Omegas, those with a greater need for group warmth and a stable sense of protection, had it worse. A constant state of panic and regular anxiety attacks were the most obvious symptoms, depression and denutrition the most severe.

 

The war was many years ago, but with the long life expectancy of werewolves, especially the lower ranks, all that time wasn’t enough for all survivors to be dead. Some are still out there, living their lives in pain and sorrow, stubbornly refusing help, hiding their condition and with time it became better, but never left.

 

It is one of those ancient wolves, depraved and unstable, that currently follows the tall form of one Kim Jongin as the suit-clad wolf enters a fancy cafe, and the shadow glares at the small body that stands up at the sight of the male, big eyes filled with innocence, a mind corrupted by modern society but a soul that doesn't know of true evil, eyes that have never seen a drop of blood, lips that have never begged for mercy, plump rosy, heart-shaped, oh so pretty; small hands that couldn’t crash a rock; lean neck, milky white lined with the cutest of freckles.

 

It could break so easily, that neck.

 

They could make the most melodious cries, those smiling lips.

 

Those big owl eyes, lifeless as the tear up, no remnants of the joy that show as they become crescents to greet the alpha, her alpha.

 

His built looks so small as they stand facing each other, so small…