Until Next Time

Mr. Chagrin

Done.

Jieun let out a small sigh as she looked at all the boxes stacked all over the room. She counted the boxes, making sure that she was prepared to move the next day. She let out another sigh before looking out at the window. 

It's dark, she realized. She checked the time. Oh, wow. It's pretty late.

She opened the window, letting the cool night breeze slip in. She closed her eyes gently, soaking up the nice air before deciding to leave the room just to explore the neighborhood one last time. After all, she would be leaving tomorrow, and she wouldn't have a lot of time tomorrow to play around.

She grabbed a thin jacket and walked outside. The moment she stepped outside, her body automatically started to walk up the hill, where she saw Kiha doing squats in front of his house. Slightly amused, she walked over to him, wondering why he was out so late. He seemed equally surprised to see her outside, but he didn't say anything about it.

"A beautiful night, isn't it?" Kiha asked her.

"It is," she agreed. She looked at him. "Why are you out here? Shouldn't you be sleeping?"

"I'm taking a break from writing the last chapter to my webtoon," Kiha revealed. "I'll be posting it tomorrow."

"Is that the webtoon based on the drama Minah was in?"

"Correction: the drama is based on the webtoon," Kiha said. He smiled. "But yeah, you're right." He looked around. "It's dark, but want to walk around a bit? I have nothing better to do right now. Jungkook is sleeping so I don't have a walking buddy."

Jieun stared at him, but shrugged her shoulders and nodded. She walked besides Kiha in silence, unsure of what to say at this time of the night. The two walked for a few more minutes until they arrived at a park. Jieun was a little surprised, as she didn't know about the park's existence until today.

A pity, Jieun thought. This place would've been a nice hang-out.

"Ooh, look! Swings!" Kiha exclaimed, pointing at the swing sets. He ran over and took over a swing while Jieun walked and started to ride on the other swing.

The two swung themselves on the swings quietly. They didn't dare to say much since they figured that there wasn't much to say. Even if they had something they wanted to say, they didn't really want to say it. 

"When are you leaving?" Kiha asked her. "I heard that Jiho and Minah delayed their train trip just so that they could go back to Seoul with you."

Jieun grinned a little. "Yeah. I'm actually leaving tomorrow."

"Oh."

Silence enveloped their conversation. They remained quiet and awkward. Then, Jieun took a deep breath before looking ahead.

"You know, I'm really grateful to have met you," Jieun said earnestly. "You were really weird and kind of embarrassing, but I'm really glad that I met someone like you. A lot of people think you're kind of odd, but deep inside, you're really observant and know what's the best for people. I didn't understand why Jungkook admired you so much, but the more I interacted with you, the more I realized what made you so lovable to Jungkook. He might have a weird uncle, but he's certainly lucky to have you."

Kiha smiled a little as Jieun continued.

"When I first found out that you took Chanyeol in and practically raised him again, I thought you were crazy. You see, Chanyeol and I had a rough history in the past, but it wasn't always like that. He was so sweet and loved me so much to the point that he proposed to run away with me after our parents made it clear for us to break up. My parents didn't really like Chanyeol while his parents didn't really like me. We never figured out why they were so opposed to us, so we just ran away with the money we stole from our parents. When I saw Chanyeol change, I kind of a saw a little of his past-self in him. Maybe I'm just crazy, but I really felt like you changed him," Jieun explained.

"You're making me blush," Kiha said jokingly.

"I'm serious," Jieun said. "I'm really grateful to have met someone like you. You taught me that people can change and move on. I didn't know that I was capable of doing that until I learned from you." She beamed. "So thank you, Kiha. Thank you very much."

Kiha let out a weak chuckle. "You're saying all this, yet you're still planning to leave?"

Jieun looked at the starry night. "My dream is to teach students not just the foreign language, but also about life. I want to be a good teacher, something like what you were to me. I want them to grow, but I can't help them grow unless I grow myself. That's why I chose to go to Seoul. I'm going to go there and learn to embrace the past, but also to move forward."

"That's what I thought," Kiha said, nodding his head.

"Of course. You're the one who knows how to read me best," Jieun said.

Kiha nodded his head again. Then, with a heavy heart and a big smile, he got up and extended out his hand. She stared at it for a few minutes, but got up and straightened her posture.

"Well, Jieun," Kiha said, "Congratulations on your promotion. I wish you all the best in Seoul."

Jieun smiled and shook his hand. "Thank you, Kiha. I hope I do well, too."

The two ended their conversation there and started to head back to their home, marking the last time the two would probably ever meet.

• • •

The next day, Jieun found herself at the train station. Minah and Jiho were already waiting for with their luggages sprawled all over the floor. She was shocked to see how many luggages they had, but she figured that most of them were Minah and Jiho was in charge of carrying most of it.

"You're almost late," Minah said jokingly.

"I'm just in time," Jieun said, not catching the joke.

"Well, let's go," Jiho said. "We don't actually want to be late."

Jieun nodded her head. She was about to walk until she heard someone in the distance call her name. She turned around, trying to find the source of the voice until her eyes landed on Jungkook, who seemed to be searching for her. The moment their eyes met, Jungkook dashed straight towards her. By the time he arrived in front of her, he was out of breath and sweaty.

"Jungkook? What are you doing here?" Jieun asked, surprised.

He looked up at her with slightly teary eyes. "I…didn't…say anything…!"

"What?" Jieun asked.

"Look, kid. She needs to go," Jiho said, narrowing his eyes at Jungkook.

Jungkook glared back after catching his bread. "Shut up, old man!"

Jiho dropped his jaws. "Old ma—Jieun, did you hear him?"

"Let him say what he needs to say," Jieun told Jiho.

Jiho sulked while Jungkook smirked victoriously. However, his smile faded once he met Jieun's brown eyes. His throat tightened while he tried to hold back his tears. Then, with a deep breath, he leaned and bowed at her, surprising her.

"Thank you for being a great teacher!" Jungkook told her. And thank you for being my first love…

Jieun smiled. "Raise your head, Jungkook."

He did. Once he did, she opened her arms and gave him a gentle hug. Jungkook hitched his breath and froze in bliss. He was about to hug back, but Jiho forcefully broke them up by dragging Jieun away from him.

"Come on," Jiho said, "we need to go."

Minah blew a raspberry. "Aw, come on, Jiho. We're not that late."

"We are if we play around," Jiho said. He picked up the luggage. "Ready?"

"Ready," Minah said, nodding her head.

Jieun nodded her head, but her face said otherwise. She looked in the crowd, trying to find any familiar faces. Jungkook studied her expression before letting out a small, dejected sigh.

"Kiha isn't coming," Jungkook revealed.

She grimaced in pain. "Ah…I see."

How disappointing, she thought.

"He's working on his last chapter," Jungkook said. "Oh! He also said to check out the last author's note for the webtoon he's completing today. You should be able to see it when you're on the train."

Jieun sighed. "Thanks, Jungkook."

"Let's go, Jieun," Jiho said impatiently. Jieun nodded. She grabbed her belongings and started to follow Jiho and Minah. However, she stopped herself and turned around. She stared at Jungkook, who was already turning away, then scurried back to him. Jiho whirled around and stared at her with wide eyes. "Jieun? Jieun!"

"Jungkook!" Jieun called him. Jungkook stopped his tracks and turned around. He gave her a look of confusion while Jieun grabbed onto his sleeves. "Jungkook, I need you to pass Kiha an important message!" She leaned in and started to whisper Jungkook a message. Once she was done whispering, she gave him a firm look. "You must absolutely pass that message, okay?"

Jungkook nodded his head, feeling a sense of responsibility with the important message. She smiled and gave him one last hug before running back to the duo. Jiho frowned at her, disapproving what she had just done.

"What did you tell him?" Jiho asked.

Jieun looked up at the ceiling, then smiled. "Just a familiar phrase passed down by an amazing person."

• • •

In the middle of the train ride, Jiho and Minah fell asleep, leaving Jieun to entertain herself. She took out her tablet and began to type in the website to Kiha's webtoons. Although she had never read the story, she knew that he was releasing the last chapter today. She clicked on a couple of links, eventually arriving at his completed webtoon. Nodding her head in an impressed manner, she scrolled down, skimming through the text and glancing through the pictures.

At the very end of the webtoon, she noticed that there was another chapter that came after the last chapter for the story. She clicked on it, then discovered that it was the author's note.

Kiha told me to read this, right? Jieun remembered. As she read through the text, she slowly started to realize that he was talking about her. She read the note a few more times while a smile crept to her lips.

How embarrassing, she thought to herself. Then, hugging the tablet near her chest, and closed her eyes, ready to start a new beginning and hoping to return back to the area just to tell Kiha about her new adventure in Seoul.

To the woman who inspired me to write the female lead (A.K.A. Bang Minah's role):
I didn't go to see you off because I know that I will see you again.
After all, we're just going to make more memories when you visit, right?
Until next time!

P.S. Message received: "Thanks for the memories. I had fun."


Author's Note: Due to personal circumstances, I've decided to end Mr. Chagrin here. As much as I would've loved to explore the characters' personalities and pasts, I'm afraid that I'm not confident with balancing five stories when I get to college. Since the beginning of summer, my goal was to end Graphite on Paper , To Trouble Thee, and Mr. Chagrin before the end of August. Unfortunately, due to my ultimate procrastination skills, I ended up finishing MC only. I predict that GoP will end with 25 chapters (5 chapters more than I originally planned) and TTT will end with 60 chapters (as I planned originally). Remember the Rhododendrons is far from finishing, and I'm not sure how long that story will be. Pillars of Pawns just started, so that's not going anywhere.

Anyway, thank you for subscribing, commenting, upvoting, and reading this story! It really means a lot to me, and I hope you guys enjoyed it, even though the ending was really rushed and vague. You won't see me writing any IU stories soon, but I'm sure that other people will write more of her when her drama comes out—hopefully.

BTW HAVE YOU GUYS SEEN SCARLET RYEO LIKE I'M HAVING TROUBLE MEMORIZING THE PRINCES' NAMES BUT STILL ASKLJFGSGS;