What Lies Inside

Mr. Chagrin

"Are you sure that you're going to be okay?"

"Yes, Jiho. I'll be fine."

"Did you finish unpacking? Maybe I should go and visit you early. Should I come tomorrow to help you pack?"

Jieun laughed as she switched her phone from one ear to the other. She bent down to open another box, then pulled out a frame. She displayed a gentle smile on her face and placed the photo of her and her two best friends on the counter.

"I'm fine, Jiho. I can unpack on my own. Besides, Minah needs you by your side, remember? Isn't she going on a tour around the country? It'd be terrible if her manager isn't with her during the time she's touring the country," Jieun pointed out.

"Well, she has two managers, so if I leave, I'm sure it won't matter."

"It matters to Minah, and you know that," Jieun said. "Don't you remember the look on her face when she found out that I wasn't going to by her side on tour?"

"Well, you wouldn't be permitted to go with us on tour. You don't work in the entertainment industry," Jiho said. There was a short pause. "Are you sure you don't need any help? I can send some workers to help you—"

"Hanging up would be a great help."

"I'm serious, Jieun."

"I'm serious, too, Jiho. If I want to finish packing, I should hang up."

"Okay, fine." There was another pause. "Will you call?"

"Of course." She ran her fingers across the frame's borders. "I'll call as often as I can."

"What—You promised that you'd call every day!" Jiho protested.

"I'm hanging up, Jiho!" Jieun exclaimed, ignoring him. Without waiting for his response, she ended the call and placed the phone next to the frame.

She glanced at the room, then heaved a loud sigh when her eyes met the stack of cardboard boxes scattered across the room. Still, she kept a small smile on her face while rolling up her sleeves. She stared at the boxes again, then gave herself a small nod.

A new life, a new start! she declared in her head. She opened another box, then paused when she saw a Rubik Cube in the box. She checked the box's label, then pressed her lips. Oh right. I was going to throw away this box. She paused, then looked around. When she found the closet, she opened it and tucked the box at the furthest corner. Let's not open this ever again.

She went to another box and began to unpack. In the midst of her packing, she'd glance at the box in the closet, tempted to open it. However, she kept shaking her head and dragged her feet elsewhere to finish the job.

This is my life now, she thought, resting for a moment. She looked out the evening window with a longing feeling of loneliness.

~ ~ ~

At around a quarter passed nine, Jieun was nearly done with unpacking. She pulled out a pack of ramen and tried to search for a pot, but failed to find one. She tried opening the rest of the boxes, hoping that she had misplaced the pot somewhere.

After an hour of searching, she groaned and tossed the pack on the table. She thought hard and long, trying to figure out where she had put the pot. Her stomach growled, craving for something to eat.

This isn't good, she thought, staring at the pack. I should just eat it would boiling it. She bit her bottom lip. No, but that's not good. I should eat something more fulfilling than that. What do I have in the fridge?

She opened the refrigerator, but stopped when she remembered that there was only three bottles of water in it. She smacked her head, remembering that Jiho and Minah had helped her clean out the fridge before she moved.

That's right. I have no food, and I have to do some shopping the first thing tomorrow, she remembered. She sighed. No pots, no food… Can I even go to the convenience store this late?

She glanced at the clock, noticing that it was almost midnight. Surely the store would be open, but she felt unsafe if she stepped out to walk outside. She could call the taxi, but wouldn't it be better if she saved money and waited until daylight came up?

She looked out the window. Her last option was to go to her neighbor's house, which was about a five to ten minute walk, depending on how fast she went up the hill. The only reason why she moved in this area was because there was hardly anyone in the area. When she found out that she had only one neighbor who barely came out of the house, she immediately took the deal and decided to move here. Of course, Jiho protested a lot, saying that it wasn't safe for a girl to live in such an isolated area. Minah didn't really say much that time. She only encouraged Jieun to take whatever path she wanted.

It won't be so awkward to ask them for a pot if I mention that I just moved earlier today, right? she thought. She took a deep breath, grabbed a thin jacket, then made her way out the door. She began to walk up the hill, but stopped when she realized that there was no street lights. She pulled out her phone from her jacket and the flashlight. Then, she began to make her way up the hill again, dragging her feet upwards.

When she arrived at the house, she saw that there was no lights on. She did see a dim light through the window with transparent curtains, but she thought it to be a night light or something. She pressed her lips, unsure of what to do.

Do I knock? she wondered. Should I ring the door bell? Ah, but I don't want to wake them up.

She stopped when she noticed a high school boy trudging up the hill. She recognized his uniform: a white collar shirt with a black blazer over it, along with a set of beige trousers. On the left of the blazer, there was a name tag that displayed the student's name, year, and class. Below the tag was a fancy design that represented the school's logo. He also had a recognizable gold and red tie wrapped loosely over his neck.

The two met eyes for a brief moment. Jieun flinched and looked away, while the boy continued to walk up, brushing his red hair to the side.

Wait a minute. Wasn't I hear to ask for a favor? she reminded herself. She cleared , then turned to meet eyes with the boy. By now, the boy was about to enter his house.

"Um, kid!" Jieun called.

The handsome young boy look up at her. "Yes?"

"Hey, um, I'm your new neighbor," Jieun said, pointing at her house. The boy nodded his head in acknowledgement. "I accidentally forgot to pack some stuff, and one of them was a pot. Do you mind if I borrow a pot? I plan on cooking ramen, so it'll be really quick! I'll even wash it."

The boy paused, thinking over her question. "Actually, I don't think we have any clean pots right now."

Jieun frowned, suddenly taken aback. "E-Excuse me?"

"Do you mind if I give you cup ramen instead? I can boil the water and hand it over to you," the boy said.

"Um, sure?" Jieun said. The boy turned back to his house, ready to step inside. He suddenly stopped, then shot Jieun a sharp glare.

"No matter how long I take," he said seriously, "do not come inside our house. Do not ring on the bell and do not knock on the door. I promise that I will be back with your ramen, understand?"

Jieun wanted to inquire the young boy, but she only nodded. She was too hungry to argue with him. Moving and unpacking had drained her so much to the point where she just wanted to sleep on the floor.

She did as she was told. She waited for the student to come back without stepping into the boundary. She was curious to as why the boy told her not to step near his home, but she figured that he didn't completely trust her.

Which reminds me, she thought, remembering how he had told her that there were no clean pots in his house, is he living alone like me, or does he have a family? If he has one, then are they slobs?

"Here."

Jieun whirled her head, eyes wide. She stared at the boy who handed her the cup of ramen and a small container of cold kimchi. She took it, thanking him and promising to return the kimchi box tomorrow. Just as when he was about to go in, she stopped him once again.

"Um, kid!" she exclaimed. He stopped and turned. "What's your name?"

"Jung Jungkook, a third year attending Taeji High School," Jungkook answered. He paused. "Can I get yours?"

"I-I'm Lee Jieun! I just moved and I'm told that I'll be teaching English at your high school, too," she explained. She smiled. "Maybe I'll see you around?"

Jungkook glanced at his house, then at the teacher. He smiled at her.

"Maybe we will," he said, nodding his head. He was about to walk inside, but stopped. "Actually, keep that kimchi container."

She blinked her eyes. "Excuse me?"

"I'll come by and get it tomorrow in the afternoon. Is that okay with you?" Jungkook asked.

She nodded. "Is there a reason why I shouldn't just deliver this directly to your house?"

He looked back at the door, then back at her. "No big reason. I'll stop by tomorrow if that's okay with you."

"Um, sure," she muttered, nodding her head.

He bowed. "Well, good night!"

"G-Goodnight," Jieun murmured awkwardly. She watched him go inside the house in silence.

Figuring that her ramen would get cold soon, she began to walk down the hill and back to her house. Before she was unable to see the house, she glanced over her shoulder and stared at the building. There was something about the house that made her want to knock on the door and greet herself properly. It felt strange to greet the student outside with empty hands.

Maybe I should give them a gift or some sort when I go back, she thought to herself. She continued walking, but stopped to stare at the house again.

That was the first time she wondered what lied inside the border of the house, but it was also the last time where she would remain curious.


Author's Note: Slow start, I know, but it's going to get there. I've been busy with getting my college apps in, but I wanted to update something so I made a quick update for this story. I will be back soon, promise!