Orange Juice

Mr. Chagrin

"Woah!"

The three boys looked at Jieun's house in awe as they entered without saying another word. Their mouths were gaped wide open, surprised to see such a simple and empty house. Jieun followed right behind them, while Jungkook quietly lagged behind.

"It's so white!" Changshik exclaimed.

"It's so plain!" Wonshik added.

"It's so small!" Kyungsoo added. He turned to Jieun, who looked quite surprised at Kyungsoo's word. "Changmin lets us live in one of those big exclusive apartments."

"Well, welcome to my house," she murmured.

"Wait, wait, wait," Wonshik said, stopping anyone from going further into the room. He gave Jieun a quick look. "Was Jiho here before?"

Jieun thought about his question for a moment. It took her a while to realize that no one else but Kiha and Jungkook had ever entered her house. She shook her head at his question. Wonshik grinned and took out his phone.

"Quick, quick! Selfie!" Wonshik exclaimed, dragging everyone into the photo. They took a quick group photo before the group parted. He started to snicker. "Jiho is going to be so jealous."

"Did you send it?" Kyungsoo asked.

"Yeah, I just did," Wonshik told him. In seconds, there was a reply. The boy opened the message, then snorted. "Guess what Jiho said?"

"What'd he say?" Changshik asked.

"'Get out,'" Wonshik answered. He started laughing, and the two other idiots joined him. 

Jieun let out a nostalgic smile while Jungkook gave them a "what-the-hell-is-going-on" expression. She continued to smile and looked at Jungkook.

"Oh, you're probably not used to this, right?" she asked him.

"They're stupid," Jungkook murmured.

"Hey, hey! Jieun, do you mind if we explore the house? We're going to take a picture at every room and send them to Jiho," Kyungsoo said.

"Drive yourself crazy," she said, still smiling. The three boys cheered and stared to explore the house on their own. She turned to Jungkook. "Aren't you going to join them?"

"I have better things to do than hanging out with immature bodyguards," Jungkook said.

"Well, then do you want to help me at the kitchen?" she asked, leading him to her kitchen.

When Jungkook stepped inside the kitchen, he noticed how small and simple it was. The house was a lot more clean than his own home, but it felt empty and lonely. He watched her open the cabinet and pull out some glass mugs. She turned and smiled at him.

Ba-thump.

He quickly threw a fist against his chest to keep himself in control.

"I got a few more cups a few days ago in case I had guests come over," she said. "I'm so glad that I have guests over today because now I can finally use them!" She opened the fridge. "I'm sorry, but I only have orange juice. I don't have much to offer right now."

"T-That's fi—"

"Orange juice sounds great!" Wonshik blurted, butting in. The three boys barged into the kitchen and sat on the floor.

Jungkook shot the three men a cruel glare. He stopped glaring when Jieun turned to give the boys their drinks. 

"Sorry that I don't have enough chairs," Jieun said, glancing at the only chair she had in her kitchen. "I keep telling myself to get new chairs, but I keep on forgetting when I actually go to the stores."

"You need chairs? We can get Changmin to send some to you for free," Kyungsoo said. "He has a separate furniture branch."

"Well, it's not like you need chairs. The floor is good, too," Changshik said.

"Hey, doesn't this remind you of the time when we lived at Jiyong's house? We sat on the floor, too!" Wonshik exclaimed.

"Oh, right! We even drank orange juice when Changmin came for the first time!" Kyungsoo exclaimed.

"Who would've thought that it would be the start of King Kwon leaving us?" Changshik said, letting out a small sigh.

"Good thing we see him often," Wonshik said. "All hail King Kwon!"

"King Kwon!" the two others shouted, clinking their glasses.

Idiots, Jungkook thought, rolling his eyes. He glanced at Jieun, only to see that she had a tense expression on her face. She seemed a little pale, but more heart-broken.

"H-How is Jiyong?" she asked in a shaky tone.

"King Kwon? He's doing good," Wonshik said. He paused. "Oh, right. You haven't seen King Kwon since he left you five years ago."

"Jiho and Minah tried seeing him before, but it didn't work out too well," Changshik added.

"Yeah, but King Kwon is a busy guy. He doesn't have time for people who won't help his business," Kyungsoo added.

"Is there any way for me to see Jiyong?" Jieun asked desperately.

The three boys looked at each other with a small frown. Then, they turned back and shook their head.

"I'm sorry, but King Kwon is really busy," said Kyungsoo. "It's even difficult for us to see him."

"We would love to bring you to King Kwon, but he simply doesn't have the time for meeting up just to talk about the past," Wonshik stated.

"Plus, our job is under Changmin's company. We only get to see King Kwon when we go to him or when he comes to us," Changshik said.

For the past few minutes, Jungkook had been quietly observing Jieun's expression. He noticed the painful expression she had displayed. Every time her lips inched upward, he knew that she was lying to herself. 

This Jiyong or King Kwon must've meant a lot to her, he thought. He was a little annoyed with that fact, but kept quiet.

"A-Anyway," Jieun said, attempting to change the subject, "why are you all here? Why is Changmin here?"

"He needs to talk to the old man," Changshik said. "It's business-related."

"Uncle Kiha isn't old," Jungkook snapped, glaring at Changshik.

"Is that his name? Kiha?" asked Wonshik. "He look old."

"He's not old!" Jungkook insisted.

"He's old, isn't he?" Kyungsoo asked Jieun.

"He's eleven years older than me," Jieun informed them.

All three boys scrunched their face as they made an "ew" expression. Jieun wasn't sure why, but she felt her cheeks get hot. Was she embarrassed? What was she supposed to be embarrassed up? It's not like she had any special connections with him that would cause her to feel dumb.

"Well, all I know is that there's something going on and Changmin needs Kiha's help," Changshik said.

"Kiha's help? But Kiha is just a writer," Jieun said.

"That's what he wants everyone to think," Kyungsoo said, pursing his lips, "but in reality, we discovered that Kiha is a lot more than that."

"He's a freaking genius," Wonshik quickly added. "A couple of years back, the Jang Cooperation was in a huge slump. The only reason why it's doing well is all because of Kiha. He's the true genius in the company."

"But Uncle Kiha hates that," Jungkook stated bitterly. "He doesn't want to be involved in any business-related activities. Tell your Changmin guy or whatever to go back! You're only bothering Uncle Kiha by barging in like this."

"Wait, then what does your father do, Jungkook?" Jieun asked. "I thought he was the head of the Jang Cooperation?"

"He is, but he's only there to maintain the stability," Jungkook murmured. "My father isn't as special as Uncle Kiha."

"So you don't know anything about why Changmin is here?" she asked the three. "You just know that it's for 'business-related' reasons?"

"Yeah, basically," said Wonshik, who only shrugged his shoulders.

"Like I said, take Changmin away and don't come back!" Jungkook repeated, glaring at the three men.

Changshik clicked his tongue. "You know who this guy reminds me of?" He snapped his fingers. "Jiho."

The other two men mumbled in agreement. Jungkook stared at them while Jieun giggled.

"What? Who's Jiho? Why are you all laughing?" Jungkook asked, clearly confused.

"Oh, he's a friend who had a crush on Jieun," Wonshik said.

"Correction: still has a crush on Jieun," Kyungsoo stated.

Jieun let out a small smile. "Guys, come on. Don't do this to me."

"What? It's true. Jiho still likes you," Changshik said. "I'm surprised that you didn't choose him over Jiyong. I mean, you see Jiho sometimes, but you don't see Jiyong at all. Yet you still decide to hang onto Jiyong and not Jiho? You don't really make any sense, Jieun."

Jieun pressed her lips. She stared down at her hands and pondered on his question for a moment.

"You're right," she said softly. "Why didn't I fall in love with Jiho? Why didn't I…"

"Why do you have to?" Everyone looked up and noticed Changmin, Kyuhyun, and Kiha standing at the door. Kiha blew a small whistle as he studied the wall and ceilings. "Looks like you added more stuff here."

"H-How long were you standing there?" Jieun asked, shocked.

"Not very long," Kiha said. "Anyway, I came down to tell you that we're done talking. This idiot will bother us no more."

"Wow, how nice," Changmin said sarcastically, rolling his eyes. He turned to his bodyguards. "Come on, guys. Let's go."

"Yes, sir!" the three shouted in unison. They got up from the ground, finished their orange juice, and placed the glass in the sink.

"Nice meeting you, Jieun!" Changshik exclaimed.

"Let's meet up soon, okay?" Wonshik added.

"See you next time!" Kyungsoo chirped. The three boys started to walk outside, leading Changmin and Kyuhyun to the limousine.

Kiha, Jungkook, and Jieun stood back, but watched the car go through the window pane. Kiha stared out the window for a moment, but glanced down to see how Jieun was doing. She had an empty look on her face, as if she was staring at nothing but space. Without thinking, he gently placed his large hand on her thin shoulder. She jolted a bit, and her quick movement caught Jungkook's attention. 

"Are you okay?" Kiha asked her.

"M-Me? Um, yes?" she replied, unsure of what he was trying to say.

He paused, then only smiled at her. "Well, if you say so…"

He turned and left the room. He called for Jungkook, who scurried after him after briefly looking at Jieun. Jieun watched the two men leave the house, but in particular, she looked at Kiha. She stared at Kiha's large back and watched him walk up the hill with Jungkook lagging behind. She pressed her lips and continued to look until the boys disappeared at the top of the hill. 

Kiha's so strange, she thought, slightly shaking her head. Her eyes rolled up to the sky. Now I'm curious.

~ ~ ~

That night, when Jungkook had gone to bed and Chanyeol left for his other part-time job, Kiha was finishing up the last panel for his cartoon. He groaned and rubbed his eyes. For a moment, he took of his glasses and placed them aside. He pursed his lips, staring at the computer screen for as long as he could.

This story is going nowhere, he realized. It's only popular because it's following a cliché plot line…

His phone started to vibrate. He glanced at the number, noticing that it was an unfamiliar number. He stared at it, then answered the phone.

"Hello?… Oh, Chanyeol! Are you using the street phone again?… Oh, no. I'm not that busy. I'm just finishing up the last panel. Why?…What? Seriously?…When?…The next chapter? Seriously?" Kiha shot up from his seat and smiled. "Chanyeol this is huge! I've got to tell Jungkook—" He stopped when he remembered that his nephew was sleeping. He bit his bottom lip. "Actually, let's talk in the morning okay?…Yeah, sorry… Good night to you, too, Chanyeol…Okay, thanks. Bye."

He hung up the phone and stared at the screen once more. Then, a small smirk slipped out of the corner of his lips.

"My webtoon is turning into a drama," he whispered. He looked up at the ceiling in awe, trying to take in the sudden news. He gently closed his eyes for a moment.

The webtoon about Jieun and Jungkook is turning into a drama, he realized. He quickly opened his eyes. "Wait, then that would mean that the directors are expected the character's romantic relationship to progress…"

He started to make his way out the door and headed straight to Jungkook's room.

"Jungkook! Jungkook, I just ran into an emergency and we need to talk about this in the morning…!"