Hello Kitty Cape

Mr. Chagrin

Six o'clock in the morning.

Jieun was waiting outside of her house, occasionally glancing up at the hill, then down at her watch. She swung her body back and forth, nervously clutching to her bag, which contained several necessary school supplies. She took a deep breath and paced back and forth, trying to calm herself for the first day of work.

"Holy shi—"

Jieun turned and looked up at the hill, where she saw Jungkook staring at her with wide eyes. He had his hand over his heart, as if he had gotten a heart attack from seeing her.

"Did I scare you?" Jieun asked, slightly frowning.

"Kind of," he said honestly, rubbing his chest. "It's just that I haven't seen anyone walk around these areas. We haven't had neighbors in such a long time, so it's a bit scary to see you around here."

Jieun slightly grimaced. "Well, I hope you get used to it soon."

Jungkook stared at her. "So what are you doing here? You know that the school is only, like, ten minutes away from here by bus, right?"

"That's the problem," she said nervously. "I forgot where the bus is around here…"

"Seriously? You must be joking."

"Unfortunately, I'm not. I was hoping that you'd lead me to the bus."

"What about your phone? GPS?"

"I forgot to charge it last night. Besides, I won't get internet until a few days later."

Jungkook groaned. "So I have to wake up every morning and walk you to the bus?" He looked away for a moment. "This is so going to mess up my reputation at school…"

"It's only for today. I promise," Jieun said. "You said 'we' when you were talking about not having neighbors, right? Maybe I can ask the other person you're living with for directions or something if I ever get lo—"

"Nope, no. That's not happening. I'll do it. I'll wake up every morning and walk you to the bus," he declared quickly. He quickly walked right by her. "Come on! You don't want to be late, right?"

"Um… Yeah," she said slowly. She followed him, but looked over her shoulder at the tip of the hill. "Are you hiding something from me in that house?"

Jungkook flinched. "Not…really. I just don't like it when people invade my privacy."

"Is that so?" she asked, not believing a single word coming out of his mouth.

"Yeah, it's true. Now, can you stop asking me questions? I feel like I committed a crime or something."

"Okay, okay! I'm sorry," Jieun muttered. After that, she followed him quietly, not daring to speak another word about his home again.

~ ~ ~

After twenty minutes, Jieun found herself standing in front of the school's administration office. She took a deep breath and walked inside the room, where there were several teachers getting ready for the morning plan. Hardly anyone looked up to notice her.

Everyone's so busy, she thought. She started squirming a bit on her spot. It's making me feel a little bit queasy in the inside.

"Ah! You must be the new teacher!" an optimistic voice exclaimed. Jieun turned around, only to find the principal standing behind her. He gave her a warm smile, to which she returned with a deep bow.

"Hello, Principal Yang," Jieun greeted him.

"I was waiting in my office for you, but I didn't see you come into the school. I came here in case you got lost," Principal Yang said.

"Um, well, the paper said to meet you in the administration off—"

"You already did a small tour with us, yes? Do you remember where you have to go?"

Jieun tried to smile. "Yes, I've memorized the classrooms."

"Good, good. If you need any help from the teachers, Mrs. Choi is a great person to ask. She's over there, sitting at the end of that desk. Do you see her?"

Jieun didn't even try to search for the teacher. She only nodded, pretending to see who the teacher was. She wasn't planning to make any friends here. This place was just a working facility. That was all it was going to be.

"Now, follow me. I'll show you to your first class, even though you already know where it is. I'd like to get to know you better, Miss Lee," Mr. Yang said.

"Of course," she answered, following him out the door. "Is there anything in particular that you would like to know about me?"

"Hm, none in particular. I've already went through all that detailed interview with you a few months ago," he muttered. He gave her a small smile. "The winter was cold, yes?"

Jieun's eyes softened. "Yes, it was very cold."

"Do you miss your family?"

Jieun paused on that question for a few minutes. She wasn't sure on how to answer such a question. Should she be honest and state that she was disowned by her parents back in high school? Or should she make something up and consider Minah and Jiho as her family?

"I don't know," she said, a bit too loudly.

"Hm, it makes sense. A young teacher like you would be more eager to start the job rather than think about the past, right?" the principal joked. Jieun didn't respond to his words. "It might be a little awkward coming in as a teacher after a month of school started, but I'm sure you'll fit in rather well."

"I hope so, too," Jieun muttered. She glanced at her watch, then searched for the nearest bathroom. "Principal Yang? May I use the washroom for a minute? I'd like to freshen up and be ready to step into my first class."

"Oh, of course. Go right ahead," the principal said, gesturing her to head to the bathroom at the corner. She nodded and went inside.

She slowly walked over to the sink and looked in the mirror. She inhaled through her nose, then exhaled loudly. She was trying to start anew, but why was it so hard? Her chest felt heavy and she didn't know why. Perhaps she did miss her friends. Maybe a small chat was what she needed.

I wonder how Jiyong got along being lonely, she wondered, taking out her phone. She pressed a single number and speed-dialed her friend. After a few rings, the person on the other end picked up.

"Hello?" a voice answered.

"Minah! It's me, Jieun!" Jieun exclaimed, smiling. She heard snickers in the background.

"See that, Jiho. She called me first," Minah said to Jiho, who grumbled something inaudible to Jieun's ears. "Anyway, what's up, Jieun? School hasn't started yet, right?"

"It hasn't," she said, nodding her head. "I just wanted a voice of assurance. I think I'm feeling a bit lonely."

"Aww, Jieun! Don't feel lonely! You're always welcomed to come back," Minah said.

Jieun giggled. "I wish, but I have a job to do. How's the tour? Where are you guys?"

"We just finished our concert first concert in Seoul. We're heading to Busan next."

"Must be fun. Wish I could be there."

"Yep! Jiho definitely misses you. He says that we should've changed the date, but the company wouldn't listen to him."

Jieun kept quiet for a few seconds, then blurted, "Jiyong would be so proud of you…"

There was an awkward silence at the other end. She waited for a few moments, checking to see if something was just wrong with her phone or if Minah was keeping quiet. Afterwards, Jieun let out a small sigh and shook her head.

"You know what? Forget it. I don't even know why I said something stupid like that," she muttered, looking at herself in the mirror.

"It… doesn't matter," Minah said, struggling to find the right words. "I hope you just forget about that guy soon. He doesn't deserve to be mentioned."

"Mhm, yeah. Well, I should go. I'll talk to you later?"

"Sure! If I don't pick up, then it's probably Jiho who's going to pick up the phone for me."

"Alright. Bye, Minah," Jieun said. After they exchanged their goodbyes, Jieun hung up and let out another sigh.

Enough, she told herself. Didn't you want to forget about him? Why are you bringing him up like this? You're only going to make it worse for yourself. You've got to move on. You've got to forget. You've got to throw everything away.

She took a deep breath, then made her way out to the door. As she turned at the corner, she spotted the principal talking to some hidden figure. She waited for a moment, wondering if it would be okay to intrude their conversation. The principal, however, took notice of her and smiled.

"Ah! Miss Lee! Come, I'd like you to meet the janitor! He's one of the kindest and best man I've ever hired!" Principal Yang exclaimed.

Jieun only nodded. She took another deep breath, then looked down to straighten her skirt as she made her way towards the two. When she looked up, she was surprised to see only the principal.

Where did the other guy go? she wondered.

"Miss Lee, I'd like you to meet Janitor—" The principal paused and looked behind him. He tried to search for the janitor, but he was nowhere to be seen. He let out an awkward laugh and sheepishly rubbed the back of his bald head. "I guess the janitor is too busy to be introduced today. He's normally not shy. I'm sure you'll see him around. He's one of the best in the campus. Did you manage to see how he looked?"

"Yes, I did," Jieun lied. She had no clue about the man's face. All she remembered was that he was tall and oddly resembled someone she knew. It doesn't matter, though. I don't need to know him.

"Well, let's just get going to your first class," the principal said, leading her to her first class.

When they finally arrived, the first bell had rung. The principal mentioned something about "perfect timing" and opened the door for the teacher. Jieun forced a smile and stepped inside the room, where she awkwardly marched towards the center as the class settled down for homeroom.

"Sit down, everyone. I have a quick announcement to make," the principal stated, drawing attention from all the students. "This is your new homeroom and English teacher. I hope you treat her well. I won't be able to go and tell every class that she's the new English teacher, so I hope you spread the word for me."

"Yes, sir." The students answered in such a monotonous voice, Jieun almost felt chills running behind her spine. 

She scanned the room, trying to figure out who was who in the room. Just by appearance, she could already tell what type of student each person was. As she made her way to the corner of the room, she couldn't help but stare at one student in particular. He was sitting in the center of the room, garnering attention from every aspect of the room.

"Jungkook," she blurted subconsciously. The boy looked at his neighbors, then turned to an embarrassing shade of red.

"You know him?" Principal Yang asked. He smiled. "Jungkook is a good student, I heard. He's very popular."

"See, even the principal knows that you're the most popular kid in school," the boy sitting next to Jungkook whispered. Jungkook only gave him a silent nudge to stop speaking.

"He…" Jieun paused. Should she say that he's her neighbor, or just some kid who helped her find her way to the school? She studied the boy's expression, but he only averted her eyes. "He's just someone I heard of. Indeed, he seems very popular in the school."

"Of course!" The principal beamed. "He's one of the most athletic and smart student. You definitely won't be disappointed."

"I hope so," she said, forcing a tight smile. She turned her attention to the entire class. "Alright, Class 3-1, let's do our best today, okay?"

~ ~ ~

That night, when Jieun returned and came home from school, she plunged into her bed and buried her face in her pillow. She let out a small groan, exhausted. 

School was never her favorite place to be in the world. It was a place full of foul memories she wanted to forget. She started to wonder why she took up a foreign language as her major and why she wanted to teach. Her eyes started to soften as she flexed her fingers. Wondering something as stupid as why she took up the desire to become a teacher was easy: Jiyong had influenced her decision.

School was hardly any fun until Jiyong came and became her substitute teacher. Even though all the girls had a crush on him, too, Jieun liked having him around at school. People bugged her less and he made learning fun. It was an experience that Jieun wanted to give to the future generation.

But then again, she thought, rolling around her bed, I'm doing this because Jiyong's still stuck in my mind."

She heaved a sigh. When she turned her body, she suddenly remembered about how she still had tho return the container of kimchi. 

I totally forgot to give it to him this morning, she realized. She slowly got up, then checked the clock. It was already eleven o'clock at night. There's no way that he can pick it up now. Is he home, or is he studying?

She pressed her lips together, then walked over to the fridge. She took out the box and grabbed a thin jacket before heading out. She didn't want to keep the dish in her fridge too long. It would be rude and impolite, especially since she promised to return it during the afternoon.

Jieun took a step outside, and inhaled the spring air. She smiled at herself, a bit happy that she had the chance to step outside. It wasn't so bad taking in the fresh crisp air. It kind of soothed her, especially since she was so stressed from unpacking and working. The walk up the hill might've been a bit tiring, but it wasn't so bad.

By the time she looked up from her feet, she noticed that she was standing in front of her neighbor's door. She looked around, wondering if she should press the doorbell.

A soft wind brushed past her, guiding her eyes to the door. She noticed that it was slightly opened. She looked around, trying to see any signs of Jungkook.

Did he leave the door opened? she wondered. She stepped inside the forbidden territory. Another breeze floated by her, except this time it was a lot stronger than the previous one. The door creaked open, as if something was welcoming her to cross the unknown threshold.

"Um, Jungkook?" she called. She waited for his response, but heard nothing. "I brought the kimchi container. You said you'd pick it up in the afternoon, but I think you forgot…"

She waited again. Hearing nothing, she slowly stepped into the house.

"I'm sorry for intruding," she mumbled, "but I'm coming in!"

When she stepped inside, she almost dropped her jaws. The house was a complete mess. Several clothes were scattered on the floor, not to mention that the dishes that piled up over the sink still had to be washed. As she walked deeper into the room, she noticed that there were several microwave food and water bottles on the floor.

What a mess, she thought. One boy can't possible do all this…right?

"Jungkook? Jungkook, are you around here?" she asked. She opened the fridge, then widened her eyes when she saw that there was hardly anything except for junk food. Geez… I should make him food someday.

She placed the container inside the fridge and closed it. She turned and attempted to wake out of the house until she heard a small moan from one of the rooms. She froze and turned around.

"Jung…kook?" she called slowly. Another moan responded to her calls. Her eyes widened. "Jungkook? Jungkook, are you okay?"

The moan turned to a groan. Jieun, worried, started to follow the voice. She kept calling his name, and the voice responded to every time she called his name. Was Jungkook sick? Was he hurt? Maybe someone snuck into his house and now he's trapped?

I better call the police, she thought, taking out her cell phone. Before she got the chance to touch the screen, she heard a door open behind her. 

"Jungkook? Where the hell are you…"

Jieun whirled around, only to see a black-eyed man wearing a large black-rimmed glasses. He had a large Hello Kitty blanket wrapped around his neck, causing Jieun to question his maturity. In his hands, she saw him carry an electronic pen and some sort of drawing tablet. The two stared at each other for a long time, trying to figure out the entire situation. After a few minutes, the man raised his hand, as if he wanted to speak first.

"Please excuse me for a moment," the man muttered in his scruffy voice.

"Eh, ah, um, please do…?" Jieun answered awkwardly, unsure of what she was supposed to say. He nodded his head, thanked her, and went back inside the room. 

Jieun blinked her eyes for a moment longer, staring at the door. Who was that man? Was he Jungkook's father? Wait, did she even have any position to excuse the man? What if he was a robber of some sort? Didn't she just let him escape by allowing him to excuse himself and go back into the room?

From her side, she heard a plastic bag with items fall to the ground. She looked up and saw Jungkook staring at her with wide eyes.

"Wha… What the hell are you doing in my house?" Jungkook asked, gritting his teeth.

"I-I just wanted to return your kimchi container," she stuttered. "I called your name, but you didn't seem to be around. The door was opened, too…"

"Did you meet anyone here?" he asked, glaring at her.

"Um, well…"

"AHHHHHHH!"

Jieun flinched at the sound of the man screaming behind the doors. Jungkook groaned and slapped his forehead with the palm of his hand.

"Oh boy," he muttered, sliding his hand down his face. Then, he shot another glare at Jieun before knocking on the door. "I need to calm him down. Can you go and put the plastic bag on the kitchen counter? Oh, and if you can, please boil enough water for two cups of ramen."

"H-H-Huh?" Jieun blinked her eyes, confused. However, when he gave her a menacing look, she only nodded and picked up the plastic bag that he had dropped. She walked over to the kitchen and did exactly as she was told to do.

What she didn't know was that this was the first step to her new life; her world was just beginning to pry itself open for her sake.