V

Parallels
Please log in to read the full chapter

Back at the dorm the air was tense and stuffy. Kira was lying on her bed face up and she had her arms wrapped around herself. She glanced sideways and watched Sehun's back as he evenly breathed.

 

She ed up this time, but it probably won't be the last time either.

 

"Do you know how many companies are active underground?" She jumped after hearing his voice and she turned fully to her side to face him.

 

"23?" She hesitantly replied after he never answered his supposedly rhetorical question.

 

"There are 116 companies altogether in this country alone." He paused to let it sink into her head. "I'm telling you this not for the heck of it. I want you to imagine how I felt when I found out you were out alone."

 

He quietly turned his body around so that he was facing her. "When you're working, I'll be out, and I know first-hand just how dangerous some of these people are. They're rich and they're powerful, and they're disgustingly merciless. Do you know just how worried I was, thinking you had to deal with these bastards?"

 

She saw his eyes glistening in the dark and she was sure that her eyes were just as glossy. "You're still young, Park Kira, and you still have a long life ahead of you. I don't want you to die pathetically in filthy hands. That would be such a pity. You're too precious for that. So, please, think of me before you do anything you shouldn't." And with that, her tears start falling.

 

“Also, be extra careful from now on. We still don’t know who helped you, so he’s a new threat, you hear me?” She heard him loud and clear. Well, this mysterious person is just another name in the already long list of potential threats.

 

---

 

She walked elegantly- posture straight, body perfectly aligned, her aura alone sending shivers down everyone's spines. The people in the cubicles stared hard at their monitors or keyboards as if making eye contact with her will bring them instant death. Kira never liked that she had that amount of power. She's a human too. Her father's money doesn't define her and her position in the company doesn't define her either. She wished they would all stop acting like she held such authority. But then again, who would dare to treat their future boss like a normal person?

 

"Miss Park, I need your signature for these documents in half an hour."

"Madam Yeo from the financial department has scheduled a meeting with you in 36 minutes."

"Miss Park, your father has reassigned you to be the head of international affairs. Would you like to choose your meeting date now?"

"Miss Park, someone below ground has been calling for the past twenty minutes. Do you want to answer the call?"

"Miss Park, your presence is needed imme-"

 

She silenced her personal assistant, Lee Bona, who was waddling behind her with her eyes glued to the tablet in her hands, her phone sandwiched in between her ear and her shoulder, eyes frazzled and hair messy. Kira felt pity creep up her heart just looking at her. Bona was twice her age, hired because of her experience, and has been working with Kira for two years now. “Email me my schedule for today. I’ll handle it on my own. Please go home and rest.”

 

The said girl widened her eyes, the phone slipping to the carpeted floor, hanging open.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter