Chapter 1

A Perfect Reality? Or is This All a Dream?

   (Crying) My heart dropped at the sight of them kissing. It was stabbing me in the heart, ripping it, tearing it apart, and then getting it stepped on. I was shaking and furious. I couldn't believe what I just saw, right in front of my own eyes! Did that really just happen or I'm hallucinating?! I was denying what just happened. I didn't understand why this happened. What the heck is he doing? Did he really just cheat on me? We just dated and now this happened! Wow, right when he comes to Korea he found another girlfriend! Am I really not good enough for you?! What did I do to make you cheat on me? Why do I deserve this! After all we been through! What I'm going to tell me parents? We're supposed to get engaged because of that stupid cooperation thing! Too many thoughts were going through my mind that I thought my head was going to explode. I hated myself for bringing this on to me. I hated that he was doing this to me! Why can't I have a normal life without discomfort, or just a part of my life where it doesn't involved the past! I was standing there with tears looking at that couple while they don't even notice me. What, I'm that invisible to you?! I was so mad and was in too much pain. I felt like I was going to collapse. My legs are shaking to the moment that I don't even think I can stand any longer. I hated this feeling. I hated this painful feeling! But what can I do when it already happened. I can't turn back time and forget about this. I wish but its life and nothing is perfect in this world. At that time, a group of boys was packing up to leave but they noticed a girl standing in tears. They couldn't help but to stop and wondered what they should do. Should they go ask her what's wrong and is she okay or just ignored her. However, I just couldn't stand it anymore and I went straight up to my boyfriend.

 

Me: How could you! I thought we're dating?! I guess I was wrong, wasn't I? Wow look how pretty she is, isn't she just too pretty?

Boyfriend: What do you want?!

Me: What do I want?! To ask you, why are you cheating behind my back once you stepped in another country?! Do you think I wouldn't notice anything? I'm not that dumb as you are!

His girlfriend: Sweetie, who is this girl? Do you know her?! What does she want from us?!

Boyfriend: It's no one. Don't worry about it!

His girlfriend: Don't worry about it?! You’re freaking cheating on me too! We're over! (Let's go of his arm and walked away.)

Boyfriend: But darling wait! Don't leave!

Me: Ha, too bad she already did like how I'm going to do to you.

Boyfriend: Go away! You have nothing to do with this! It's none of your business! Stop butting into my life! I don't need you, why would I need a girl like you! Get out of my face and I don't want to see you ever again!

Me: Do you really mean it? You don't need me? I'm the one who doesn't need you! You're such a b... and an idiot. You know I don't usually swear so that indicates that I truly mean it. I hate you so much for ruining my life but then it's already ruined, you just made it worse! Let me just say that we are officially over!

Boyfriend: Ha, see if I care! Like I wanted to be your boyfriend! I deserve so much better than you!

Me: Oh, did you forget about the compromise between our parents, little boy? Ha, looks like you're in trouble now. Bye, Marcus. I hope I'll never see you again and get over this quickly.

Boyfriend: Wait what! Compromise? NO, she didn't just... Wait! Laurette, I'm sorry. I really am, I didn't mean it. I wasn't thinking, please come back. Forgive me.


   I started to walked away from my boyfriend that turned into my ex's. Tears just kept flowing down my face and everything was so blurry. I couldn't see anything. I heard my ex-boyfriend calling out to me but I didn't stop. I kept walking even faster. My feet stepped down onto the road and I walked. The moment I did...beep...beep. I turned around to see lights flashing in front of my eyes, bright lights that were coming towards me and were not stopping. I froze. I didn't know what's going to happen next but it's going to happen. My ex-boyfriend just stood there watching the whole scene and didn't say a single word. As the car was getting nearer, an arm wrapped around my waist and pulled me into his. Zoom... These arms, this warmth felt different. It wasn't Marcus's but someone else's. Who was it? Who saved me and why? But before I knew it, I was down hard cold.

 

***Few Months Earlier***

   I stood there looking at myself through the mirror asking, I'm going to make it today?  I'm I going to survive? Can I endure it once again? Why is my life like this? What did I do to deserve this? Ugh! Whatever, let's just live with it. I crossed the street to board the bus which took me to school. I never once liked school; let's just say I hated it. I hated the idea of studying and taking exams. It stresses me out especially when your parents nag you about getting good grades. There is only one thing I liked about school and that is the fact that I get to see my friends almost everyday. My friends are my everything, I don't know where I would be without them. If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't even be here right now, at this moment. I love my friends they're always there by my side. When I'm with them, I forget everything that had happened and enjoy the times we spend together. But after that one day my whole life started to change. I was scared and I couldn't tell anyone. It was not because it was embarrassing, it's just that I'm scared about the future and I don't want the people I care to get hurt. My friends only knew that I was in the hospital that day and they never knew why. Till this day I would remember small images of what happened but never fully detailed ones. I remember the doctor telling me that I have short term memory loss and that I will soon remember the horrors of those days, but I don't mind not remembering. I'm not brave enough yet to learn about the truth and face it. The thing that makes me sad the most is that my parents don't even care, they don't understand me and never gave me a chance to explain; instead they go right into conclusion. I dislike them for ruining my life but I know they are just trying to make my life "perfect" as it can be.


   So now I'm stand here waiting for my manager, Dan to pick me up. My schedule is always jammed packed with things I dislike, thanks to my dad. I wish I could do things that I want not what my parents want. They practically ruled my life and it's like a road map where you just follow the course.

Dan: Hi. Lauretta.
Me: Hi, Dan.
Dan: How was your day at school?
Me: Fine.
Dan: Good, your father wanted me to inform you that you have an important meeting today so dress up in your most fancy clothing.
Me: Yes.
Dan: I'll take you home so that you can get ready and pick you up in about two hours, that should be enough right?
Me: Yes, thank you. Can I ask you what this meeting is about?
Dan: I'm actually not sure, I'm sorry.
Me: No, it's fine. You may go ahead now.

   I walked into my house gloomy looking. I didn't care about the meeting, I just wanted to relax like a normal teenager but I can't. I don't understand why I have to go to his stupid meetings, what is it about anyway that it's so important and is necessary for me to dress up! Huhhh let's just go with the flow. After showering, I put on a dress, did my hair, put on some make-up which was a little not a whole lot, and wore some high heels. High heels were always uncomfortable to me but I honestly don't mind it. I grabbed my purse and got into the car. The driver stopped at this fancy restaurant with red carpets and with at least a hundred waiters and waitresses. I asked where my dad was and they directed me to this big room. I opened the door and my mouth literally just dropped opened. I didn't expect to see him here. When did his parents meet my? What is going on? I'm like glad to see him but this feels like a trap. Maybe I should get out of here before something happens, but then I want to see what my father is planning. Don't tell me it's an arrange marriage. I hate those! This might be something else though. It could be just a formal meeting, let's just hope that it is. Well, here it goes.

 

Me: (Bowing) Hello.
My Father: Oh, there she is. Here is my daughter, Lauretta.
Me: Hi, nice to meet you.
His Mother: Awww, nice to meet you darling. You look so beautiful, I never imagined you to be this gorgeous.
Me: Oh why thank you, Madame.
His Mother: My pleasure dear and this is my son, Marcus.
Marcus: Hi, nice to meet you.
Me: Nice to meet you too.

   I already know you idiot, do you not recognize me or something. Even though we go to different schools I see you a lot outside with your good looking friends... Those thoughts were currently going through my mind and I couldn't believe my first crush is in front of me! I never imagine being introduced formally to my first crush! Did my dad read my mind that I liked him? That's kinda scary but I'm thankful. I now have a chance with him.

   Marcus is a really good looking guy, he's athletic, he's popular, and every girl's dream to be his girlfriend. And now look I have a chance to be closer with him. But then this might be just some business deal or partnering contact thing. Why is life so difficult? Why can't he just like me for who I'm? Well I technically don't know yet, so stop worrying he might not like you.

My Father: Now that the greetings are over let's start the arrangement.
His Parents: Yes, let's continue.
My Father: So we are going to have our kids meet with each other to know more about one another, and then get them married. Is that correct?
His Father: Yes. I believe the kids should know more about each other before marriage is arrange. Then, our cooperation with your company will be conducted.
My Father: Very well then, after a few months let's continue this topic.
His Parents: Yes. Well, it was a pleasure meeting you dear.
Me: Yes, me too.
My Father: Well have a good day now.
His Parents: Marcus why don't you go spend some time with Lauretta today?
Marcus: Why of course, Mother.
His Mother: Good. Remember to act like a gentlemen, son.

   My father came up to me and said "You better behave well or else you're going to be in deep trouble, young lady!" After all our parents went out, we stood there silent without a single word being exchange.

Marcus: Ummm, you look familiar. Do I know you from somewhere?
Me: I've seen you around a lot outside of school with your friends.
Marcus: Ohhh, you're that girl! I remember you! You're still pretty as ever.
Me: Thank you, you're not too bad yourself.

    Marcus and I had a good time together, we got closer in a matter of minutes. We really bonded well and had great connections. It was getting late and we figure it was time to go home. He walked me to my house and we said our good-byes. I was still shock that my first crush spent the whole afternoon with me. I stepped into my house and greeted my parents. They asked how it went with Marcus and I said "It was fun, I enjoyed it". My parents were glad to see Marcus and I were getting along since our parents were going to be future business partners. So then, I went upstairs to get ready for bed and planned my outfit for tomorrow.

   I woke up feeling great, it was the first time waking up feeling this happy. I got up and went to the bathroom to wash up before school started. When I walked into school I told my friends what happened, I was in such a good mood that everyone was surprise. My friends were happy for me and wished me luck. Ha...ha...ha I will need it.

_________



   Two months had gone by now and it's almost summer vacation, which I wish it can come a lot faster but you can't fast forward time. This is the part of the year I hated the most. It's where all the final exams are and it stresses me out so much that I have to keep studying for those in order to pass. But I couldn't focus these days because I would think about Marcus. We've seen each other for the past two months now and we confessed that we liked each other about a month ago. I'm still smiling about how he confessed to me, he really knows how to make a girl's heart flutter. Whenever we walked together I would hear "awww look at that beautiful couple, aren't they the cutest thing?" I would smile so bright when I heard that.

   I was walking towards the track where practice is usually at when I see the principal there too. I wondered what he was doing there and why would he come outside standing there like a tree. The principal is tall no very tall and is pretty nice, I guess but not always he can be a real devil sometimes. I bowed when I reached to him standing next to my coach.

Me: Hello, Mr. Evans.
Mr. Evans: Hello, Lauretta. How are you?
Me: I'm doing fine, how about you?
Mr. Evans: I'm good, thank you.
Me: Ummm... is there a reason why you're out here?
Mr. Evans: Why yes, I wanted to talk to you about something important. Would you like to discuss it right now?
Me: That would be fine by me.
Mr. Evans: Well I wanted to know if you would like to go to South Korea to compete in a meet. I really hope you could attend it to represent our school. The school would provide all your needs and money so you don't have to worry about that. If you do decide to go then you will leave in a few days. Sorry for the late notice. Oh, and I'm not sure when you'll come back because of the schedule so that will be determined later on. Do you have any questions?
Me: So if I do go then I leave in a few days? Who would be going with me? Do I stay in an apartment or at an hotel? Can you give me all the information on paper please? Also, can you contact my parents about this too?
Mr. Evans: Don't worry I already contacted them and they said it will be fine for you to go. It's now up to you and where you will being staying and etc is all determined. You would just need to go home and pack.
Me: Well, I think this would be a lovely opportunity for me, thank you so much!
Mr. Evans: My pleasure Laurette. Here are the papers on everything you would need to know, I figured you wanted everything on paper ahead of time so I made copies. See I can predict the future haha. Also, your coach and manager will be coming with you, to make you feel at ease.
Me: Ok, thank you very much Mr. Evans!
Mr. Evans: I wish you good luck and I hope you will do your very best.

   Mr. Evans and my Coach talked to each other after I left to go home. I called my friends to inform them about event and they wished me the best of luck. I'm gonna miss them since I don't know how long I'm staying there. Wait, hold on what about my boyfriend! While I was walking home thoughts about me not seeing my boyfriend for who knows how long went by. Ugh, how I'm going to tell him it's all planned out already. Great. But this is also a good thing, I get to stay away from my family for at least a few weeks! Yes! I'm happy about that part haha I'm such a nice daughter.

   I got home and the first thing I did was calling Marcus. I wanted to tell him about the news as soon as possible before he finds out. I told him all the details and where I would be going. Marcus was happy for me and wished me luck. I thought to myself "that's it, no complaining, no whining, I guess he's the kind of person that wants his girlfriend to be happy. I asked him if he could come watch me at the meet and he said he would try. Marcus and I talked all night as I was packing all my things because Mr. Evans called me telling me I would be leaving the next day. As I finished packing I double checked if I had everything and got in the car. I board the plane and settled down. After about two hours I remembered about something. Flashbacks about that terrorizing day come back to me suddenly. I forgot the main reason why I didn't race after that day, huhhh I wish I would forget it but I can it's a scar that will remain for the rest of my life. I began to feel scared and I didn't know how to overcome my fear.

   I was currently on my next flight when I got a phone call from one of my friends, Juliana. She sounded awfully nervous and mumbled something but I couldn't hear it.

Juliana: Hey, Lauretta. How are you?
Me: Good, how about you?
Juliana: Great. Umm I have to tell you something but I'm afraid you won't believe me though.
Me: You can tell me, I'll try my best.
Juliana: Ok. Please listen to the whole story before saying anything, promise? Please trust me.
Me: Okay, I promise.
Juliana: I just saw your boyfriend holding hands with another girl just now. I was walking in the mall when I see Marcus holding hands with some girl like a couple would do. I'm just assuming it's another girlfriend but I'm not positively sure so I can't really make any judgments. I supposed I called you right away to inform this little mishap but I'm only suspecting that he has another girlfriend.
Me: Wow, I totally didn't expect that. I don't what's going on but it's true you might be wrong than we don't know. However, thank you for notifying me; you're such a nice friend.
Juliana: Hey, what are friends for. I will report to you if I see any more misfortune events.
Me: Thank you!
Juliana: You're welcome, bye.
Me: Bye.

   I can't believe what I just heard. We hardly dated for two months and now he cheated on me! What is this?! I don't understand! This makes no sense! Ugh, what do I do now! I hope I don't start crying or else Coach or Dan will notice something is wrong. What luck I'm having today!