Chapter 4

When Life is Beautiful

I ran and ran to get to the front of the school where Luhan’s car would be parked. It was exhausting to push myself so much, I honestly wasn't accustomed to doing much exercise.Like most young people, I always relied on fast metabolism to keep my body in check. The situation called for me to run because having noticed the stern unpleased look on Luhan’s face, I knew it wouldn't be good for me  if I  took my time. Besides, I didn't like seeing luhan with such a cold expression, it wasn't like him. He was always very animated,very  positive, one of the few people able to deal with my crazy antics without complaining. I mean, the man got annoyed, he was human, but he was always willing to step up and pick up the pieces, he was just always there. He would   question my sanity, like any other normal person, but I always knew he wasn't serious, he liked that about me. He wholeheartedly understood me and stuck with me through thick and thin. He accepted my world and everyone in it.  I loved him and appreciated him for that. I didn't want to admit it, but It worried me he wasn't smiling and making a joke out of the situation as usual. I mean c'mon, the last time this happened, he came out of the headmasters office cackling like an old hag, I even questioned his sanity for a second there. That time, as we walked to the car parked out in front, I remember bumping into my homie G dragon by the gate, surprise surprise, trying to sneak in and Luhan was delighted to meet him, he even enthusiastically took his hands in his  and shook them. Luhan even insisted he drop the formalities and just call him Luhan and even offered him his card if he ever found himself in “trouble”.     

I stopped in my tracks when I caught sight of Luhan leaning on the side of the car’s passenger door. He was busying himself with his phone on one hand,  the other  coolly placed inside the pocket of his slacks. He looked  classy,  cool, I ever saw this side of him. I wondered if he was like this because he was mad at me, or there was  a side of Luhan I never saw. Regardless, it was interesting.    

I walked up closer to where he was at, making sure to take slow, smooth quiet steps careful not to disturb this cool luhan I've never seen.    

“Luhan!” I caught his attention when I was close enough and snapped a picture of him looking up from his phone. He only looked up for less than a second, but it was enough to catch him with a cool,elegant gaze.         

“What are you doing, Alex”    

“Look you look so cool here! I'm going to keep this picture, I never see you look  this cool and serious  Luhan”        

“ oh, Alex  I wonder why I would look like that” His mood didn't seem to be improving, it was getting worse. He should've been happy I called him cool, it was a compliment to him, he was always called cute.     

“ What’s wrong, the picture looks great”    

“What’s wrong, you know what’s wrong Alex!  This is still  all just a joke to you isn't it?”        “Luhan..”    

“You think i'll always be there to get you out of trouble. That you'll always get lucky and slide by everything? I don't mean anything to you do I , you think you can just use me whenever as if I don't have other important things to do or people to see”    

No, no , it wasn't like that. He was the one always watching over me, never leaving me. He was always there to protect me. It's just, I always assumed he'd be ready and happy to help me whenever I needed him like he had my whole life. But Luhan had his own life, his own responsibilities. I was selfish. I never considered how my actions would affect him. It had to be hard, I always made things hard for him. “ luhan, it's not like that”    

“ and what's worse, I thought from seeing you look so depressed and remorseful at that headmasters office you were finally starting to learn , take some responsibility, but NO, you're still fooling around, with those same people that will only get you nowhere, only  in trouble!”    

“Luhan stop! I know you're mad at me but don't talk about my friends that way”    

“Get in the car alex”         

“but Luhan-”    

“I SAID GET IN THE CAR” Luhan exclaimed. My body jolted in response .I did as I was told, opening the passenger door of the car and slipping inside.    

He walked around the car to get to the driver's seat. After he was seated in the vehicle he slammed the door closed. He started the engine and smoothly drove out of the institution.    

The car ride was painfully silent. Being how I was, I wasn't accustomed to too many silences. There were few moments of silence I could manage. One of those was those moments between Luhan and I, having known each other for so long, I could manage having silence between us, words weren't needed, those moments were comfortable and as natural as breathing. This however, was not a comfortable silence. He seemed deeply immersed in thought, I wondered what he was thinking. Why did I have to be like this? Oh, Luhan, you don't even know I'm the one who's trouble here.     

“What are you thinking about?”    

Silence.    

“Luhan, I'm sorry” I blurted out.    

I was. I'm so sorry for making you feel like this. I so sorry for being like this, it always gets you in trouble.    

More silence.    

“ I really don't get you sometimes Alex.  You know i've always cared for you like a sister, but even I get frustrated sometimes. I know it looks like I  never get mad at you, but  I just always have hope and think, maybe this time she'll learn, even if she laughs about it,hopefully somewhere deep in her heart she knows what she did wrong and because I can't stand the thought of you hating me”    

“Luhan I could never”    

I was cut off, “Let me talk alex. But I think I've been wrong this whole time Alex. I've always wanted to be like an older brother to you and watch over you. But I think I've been doing the opposite by not pointing out when you are wrong. I promised your mom that I would protect in her stead, but Im not, im doing the opposite. I'm actually more mad at myself than I am at you. It's all my fault, I ed up”    

“ No you didn't Luhan!  You were always there for me protecting me, you taught me everything I know. Besides it's not your responsibility to watch over me, it's someone else’s. And besides your not to blame, it's my fault, I'm the one who ed up, it's my fault I know luhan”    

“you just say that now because you feel bad”        

“No luhan I mean it”    

“prove it then,  stay out of trouble Alex, promise me”    

“ You know I can't make false promises luhan, not to you”    

“Well you gonna have to in try your best won't ya Alex. I dont know whats gonna happen next time, I don't think I'll be alex to help you”    

“But luhan!”    

“I've been thinking of something”    

“Oh what Luhan”    

“ There's a new high school addition to the university.if you get into major trouble one more time Alex, you're transferring there”    

“ What to that uptight prestigious place! I can't luhan. my friends are here!”    

“Don't make it seem like a better idea than it already is Alex”     

“Why are you being like this!”    

“ Sorry, I gotta get you to react, I would love to take your word that you didn't even try giving me, but it's not that reliable anyway. You probably regret it now, but I think you won't next time you decide to shove your tongue in some guy or girls mouth”    

I pounded my fist on the arm rest.    

He laughed.     

“Man, I can't stay serious too long, it's not like me. I wonder where you got that from”    

“An . A manipulating lying ”    

“ Aw c'mon Alex, if I weren't good at that what kind of lawyer would I be?”    

“You ! You lied to me, I thought you were actually sad, that you actually felt bead you planned this the whole time. You made me feel bad and force me to keep your in promise, your the worst!”    

“I know I am ALex, but being the worst makes me the best. I did feel bad, but man Alex, like I said I gotta get you to react. I meant that part”    

I was done with him, I had nothing more to say at that point.    

“ Besides, consider it payback for making me miss my date. I won that date my placing top student of the semester, it wasn't easy. oh, and you're right, that was a great picture, send it to me”    

“ Well I do hate you right now Luhan”    

“Aw man that hurts so much, don't worry, it'll pass Hey, let's go grab a bite, I'm starving.. I really don't want to explain what happened to your mom right now either.”