Epilogue

The Runaway Boys.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-

Epilogue

-

Junhong turned back one last time to the dormitory he had spent the past three years in, and then glanced back at the travelling bags he had kept in order. He counted five, and nodded his head, confirming everything.

“Ready?” The matron asked, standing with her arms crossed for the pale Korean boy to say good bye to his room. Junhong smiled at her, and nodded. “Done.” He confirmed. His luggage would be sent separately, so there was no need to worry about them any further. He put on his shoulder bag, and glanced around the room, following its blue walls, flat bed, empty table and vacant cupboards.

Time to go back, finally.

He checked for his passport and air-ticket one last time, and thanked the matron for taking care of him all this time, said his goodbye, and took slow steps down the hallway.

A part of him was sad to leave everything behind, but more of him was excited to go back. Jongup was completely hyper to have him back, and they had already planned a weeklong vacation in Korea over the internet, so going back meant party and Junhong couldn’t wait.

Of course,
He was now a pianist.

He can go back and get started in the industry he’s already a part of, and kick start his composing life, hopefully. Giddy about that too, he barely managed to say goodbye to everyone in the university grounds before he got into a taxi.

 

When he checked his mail in the taxi, he meant to write to his farther that he’s left the campus now. His farther is still not on viber and Junhong can’t really help it while being overseas.

But a different email made him raise both his brows. It was a recent one, only sent yesterday.

 

“Hello Junhong. :)
This is Daehyun.
Daehyun and Youngjae, basically.
I found the cheque you left us in our backpacks recently, and to admit, we never really took it out of the envelope. We don’t really know why. Anyway, I saw you had written your email address at the back and even if it might be a whole lot late, I thought might as well write to you anyway.

How old were we then?
Seventeen, right? You’re three years younger, and that makes you fourteen!
Can you believe we won that thing?

How have you been?
We never really heard from Jongup after the night you left.

Okay, I don’t know if this matters anymore but I know, knew, that you two were dating. He cried that night, but we’re fine. :) He has this punchline he picked up from you? ‘You don’t know because you don’t know.’
You’ve been a great friend, you know.
We got a job at a pub afterwards to sing, and moved out of the subway to a tiny place. We stayed there for nearly three years but, just yesterday night we decided to shift again. It’s singing again, at this restaurant with fair pay, so things are going quite alright.

Are you still overseas, or did you come back?
Maybe we can meet up again, sometime.”

 

“Hey Daehyun!
The last thing I expected on the day I’m finally coming back to Korea is a letter from you two! Jongup and I have planned this no-plan trip around the country, visit Jeju and Busan on public transportation and live in tents and things, because I miss Korea. It’s nothing but snow and pine in Switzerland, no fun at all.
It’d be great if you can join us, but I think your new job would get in the way :(
But we should definitely meet!

I’m really glad to know that you two are doing well.
Jongup is fine too, crazy as ever. He’s getting married, believe that! Won’t you like to meet her?

Send me your address!
I’ll visit you two first thing!”

 

-

Youngjae couldn’t quite still believe his eyes yet. Junhong had grown another half a tree upwards. He’s ridiculously tall for his age, and stands up like a tower among the rest of the guests in the restaurant. They picked to have dinner where Youngjae and Daehyun worked, and one Thursday evening, the two long lost friends did show up.

Jongup and Daehyun left to check out the dinner buffet desserts, and left Youngjae seated right opposite to Junhong, observing him from head to toe from the top again. Junhong chuckled, pushing back his blonde hair. “Still pretty, aren’t I?” He asked, his grimace turning somewhat cocky.

“Your height scares me.” Youngjae admitted in a chuckle.

Junhong thought that Youngjae had built some muscle and some healthy fat on his cheeks; so he was content. Youngjae and Daehyun really did look like they were having a good time now, dressed in proper clothing and carrying around hair that didn’t stick to their foreheads anymore.

They were clean and more human-like. Junhong was genuinely impressed, and happy for the two.

“How’re things going with Daehyun?” Junhong asked, first thing first.
Ever since he had to leave as abruptly as he had to, he always wondered if Youngjae ever confessed his feelings to Daehyun, or if they worked it out well, or if things weren’t that great for Youngjae. Even now, the two of them behaved like best friends since diapers and the least like lovers.

Youngjae let his shoulders lump somewhat, and met Junhongs eyes with a bittersweet smile on. He thought for a while, but a sigh passed his lips. “I don’t know, to be honest.” He admitted in a defeated tone.

Youngjae isn’t very sure how Junhong did it, but whenever he asked something, Youngjae couldn’t feel the slightest fiber in his body holding him back from pouring out his feelings and opening up. Junhong understood him without a filter and it was easy to talk to him.

Years before, the same thing happened.
Junhong was the first to notice, and when he asked, Youngjae spent five minutes looking at Junhong, wondering how he figured out; and let out the truth. He’s the first and only person Youngjae had admitted to that he was in love with Daehyun, all these years.
Youngjae doesn’t know why it’s like that, but that’s just how it is.

When Junhong asks, he just answers.

“As in?” Junhong asked, trying to get Youngjae to explain more.
Youngjae chuckled once, and shrugged.

“I confessed.” He said.

 

Junhong narrowed his brows. He was starting to worry because of the nonchalant tone of Youngjaes’ voice, as if it had turned out to be something that doesn’t matter. “And?” Junhong egged.

 

“Nothing.” Youngjae just sighed. Youngjae bit his lip and forced a laugh, trying to compose himself.
“He said it’s okay.”

“Huh?” Junhong flattened his face, completely unimpressed. “He said it’s okay?” He repeated in disbelief, and crossed his arms. “That’s it?”

“No, no. He didn’t mean it like that. He was … well; trying… I guess. I don’t know. I don’t know what we’re doing.”

Junhong let the situation sink in, and kept quiet, trying to understand.
Is it true then? Childhood friends.
Maybe they really can’t turn it around from that.

He felt sorry for Youngjae, and let out a long sigh. He left few pats on Youngjaes hands over the table, and smiled softly. “I’m sorry.”

Youngjae returned the smile faintly, and they kept silent. Junhong was wrecking his brain for ideas, but his lips were in a thin line. He’s not quite sure why he wants to help Youngjae so much, but Junhong tried not to look for the reason.
He’s afraid to realize it if that reason is love. It’s been a long time since he had realized that loving Youngjae would bring him to nowhere. Youngjae was Daehyuns’. It was elementary for anyone who knew the pair long enough.

Daehyun and Jongup returned without a dessert plate after all.
“Everything looks spot on. Didn’t expect we’d have dinner in this place.” Daehyun said, dragging back the chair next to Youngjae. Jongup nodded next to Junhong. “I think I’m going to love that mousse.” He said, and Junhong chuckled. Which mousse, you dork?

“S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter