Chapter 01 : For those who Knock

The Runaway Boys.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 01:

For those who knock.

 

Neither of them could go to sleep. Youngjae lay on his pillow; eyes wide open; staring into the faint bulb of the street light across their street. It flickered once in a while and Youngjae counted six. Daehyun slept in the other corner, and he too; had his eyes opened into the ceiling. The other kids of the orphanage were asleep; and some of them were snoring. It helped keep awake.

 

Daehyun jerked when the alarm under his pillow went off and shut it out by pulling out the batteries after the first ring. It was twelve PM and it was time to leave. Youngjae too sat up on his bed, and he saw Daehyun do the same. The two boys slid down from their thin blankets and wrapped them around their neck; turning themselves into a sort of stuffed pillows. They had both talked out their plans exactly; and Youngjae produced a torch from under his pillow. They didn’t turn it on; however. Daehyun opened the door and they closed it as quietly as they could. It squeaked, but that wasn’t going to hold them back.

 

Daehyun lead the way down through the stairs, and as expected, everyone was asleep. They tip-toed past the main-hall to the kitchen, where there was a door in which they key had got stuck form the inside. It was the only door to the outside that they could unlock and was their only chance. They had kept their bags hidden underneath their chairs of the dining room; and Youngjae went ahead to go get them. They had packed the few clothes they had; and few other valuables – like a packet of candles; match boxes, a knife – and as Daehyun insisted; they stole a chunk of bread and that was in the other bag. A bottle of Jam was inside Youngjaes and at the end their bags had both turned out to be quite heavy. Daehyun was waiting by the door and Youngjae gave his bag over. Daehyun breathed in sharply; puffing his chest.

 

He opened the door, and slid out.

 

“I am going.” Daehyun said. Youngjae thought he was speaking to the orphanage; the mean cook or perhaps the heartless headmaster. But he was talking to Youngjae.

 

“I’ve never been a good kid, but you are; Youngjae. You’re good with your books and you’re nice to me.” He said. “Are you sure you want to come with me?” He asked, a hand over the gap they opened from the door; so that Youngjae cannot step out unless he had answered Daehyun.

 

“Yes.” Youngjae replied shortly. “And you’re a good kid.” He added, pushing Daehyuns hand and stepping out to the backyard. He closed the door behind him and caught Daehyuns hand. “You’re nice to me too.” He whispered; and Daehyun smiled, tightening his fingers on Youngjaes.

 

Fifteen years old and full of energy; they managed to get past the orphanage grounds by half an hour. The walk to the town was scary; surrounded by darkness – and Daehyun said not to waste the torch. The moonlight was fair and they could see their way; and the streetlights were present from what felt like mile after mile. They knew that they couldn’t stay in the town and be discovered; so they had arranged a little plan beforehand.

 

Once every weekend they’re allowed to go outside and Youngjae had made friends with the son of the man who ran the stables of their village. His name was Yongguk. Bang Yongguk. He was eighteen; and the two boys had always looked up to him. He was calm and mature and he always knew what he was doing. He claimed he wasn’t smart with his books but Daehyun and Youngjae thought that he was the most quick-headed person they had ever known. He handled his horses the best; kind and loving and commanding at the same time. His black hair was buzz-cut and was out of his way by all means. It stood up when he got sweaty and the few freckles on his cheeks and his bright smile that showed off all his gums; together created a perfect image of a person they both wanted to grow up to. His sharp eyes and deep voice would set someone off if not for the warmth Yongguk shared with every one he knew. There wasn't a mean bone in his body and he was kind to everyone. Youngjae looked up to Yongguk-hyung a lot.

 

They picked a small stone from Yongguks yard and threw one on the window; creating a small cling. It opened, and Yongguk put his head out.

 

“It’s us.” Youngjae whispered; and Yongguk heard. The night was as quiet as a fight.

 

It didn’t take long for Yongguk to come out. He opened the door of their back and led the two boys upstairs to his room. He closed the door; and Daehyun and Youngjae sat down on his bed. Yongguk pointed at a large suitcase. “I got that for you. Some sheets and food and things I thought would help.” He said. He opened a drawer and produced two train tickets to Busan.

 

Daehyun turned his one over to find that the time of departure was four fifty AM. Right now; it must be around two O’ clock. They both looked up at Yongguk.

 

The eldest got himself seated on the floor facing the two boys and grimaced. “So you two are finally doing it huh?” He asked, and Youngjae couldn’t help a bright smile.

 

“Won’t you get in trouble for helping us?” Daehyun asked; and Yongguk shook his head. “I’ll be fine, don’t worry. I don’t know about you two, though.”

Youngjae bit his lip. “We’ll be Okay.” He promised, and Daehyun nodded. “We can manage.”

 

“Call me when you settle down somehow.” Yongguk said, and the two boys nodded.

 

“You can stay here until the time is right. I’ll drive you two to the station.” He said. The two boys nodded, again. Yongguk watched them for a while, and laughed. “It’s okay to be scared.”

 

“We’re not!” The two called back. Yongguk only smiled. He tore the silence in a while; speaking up.

 

“You know; few years later, you might wonder why I helped you run away.” He started. “Like it or not; between us; I’m the adult – and maybe later; if something happens to you two; it’s my fault.” He said.

“No, it’s not. We’re doing this on our own.” Youngjae said; but Yongguk shook his head.

 

“But I am helping you.” He said, and Daehyun couldn’t disagree.

 

“So when in doubt…” Yongguk continued. “Just know that I am only doing what feels right. None of you deserve to be treated like how you are in that crazy witch house.” He said. “I bet you two doesn’t know about Himchan; but he was my age when I made friends with him.” He went on. “He caught a seasonal flu.”

“I visited him once and it wasn’t so bad. It’s 2008 and people don’t die from flu, god dammit.” He cursed. “But he did. Those crazy witches didn’t put him in a hospital because they didn’t have enough funds, what the .” He scoffed, rolling his eyes.

 

“If you want to go then I am going to help you if it costs me an arm and a leg.” He stated; and crossed his arms. “In case things go badly; I’ll come and find you so tell me, okay?” He said.

 

Daehyun and Youngjae nodded. They had never heard that a boy had died in their orphanage. How can that be?

 

“Say, Yongguk-hyung.” Daehyun started.

“Will you help everyone in the orphanage to run away?” He asked, and Yongguk wasn’t fazed by the question. He smiled as if the answer was obvious. “Of course.” He said. “But I can’t open the door unless they knock, you know?”

 

It didn’t take too long for the two boys to understand.

Chances are only given to those who want them.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

When they arrived in Busan, the train station was empty to a point it looked deserted. Only few old men were dragging behind trashcans and the two boys were confused in and out of their minds. They were glad to have the counters automated and the person in a security uniform was on his smartphone, sliding through it – and was completely oblivious to the two boys as they passed through.

 

Daehyun thought up of something to say in case they were questioned as they passed the exit of the station; and stood by the road, undecided which way to go. Obviously; they wanted out of people’s eyes for the time being and Youngjae took the lead, dragging behind him the large suitcase Yongguk packed for the two. Daehyun asked to carry it for a while, and they kept walking, avoiding flashy buildings.

 

The more they avoided the buildings, the less turns they had in their walking. Neither of them had a watch; but as the sun came up; the roads started to fill with people and cars and that slowed down the two.

 

Youngjae pointed at an underground passageway; and Daehyun soon followed. People were still many in number inside who were crossing the road – but no-one paid attention to them anymore. Daehyun found a door ju

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter