Chapter 05: Where have we come to?

The Runaway Boys.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 05:

 

Where have we come to?

 

 

 

 

 

Youngjae turned over from his pan as Daehyun stepped in late. He had a plastic bag hanging on his fingers and it brought a scowl to Youngjaes lips.

 

“I told you not to take any of that stuff.” Youngjae hissed as Daehyun left the plastic containers filled with spicy side-dishes on their table.

“It’s free. Do you want them to throw it away?” Daehyun argued back, tired of having to go through this every night.

 

“I’d rather throw it away.” Youngjae grumbled, and push it aside as he placed a bowl of rice and two omelets on the table. Daehyun rolled his eyes and sat down, taking off his coat and dumping it on the chair next to his.

 

Daehyun sighed heavily as Youngjae continued to ignore him along the side dishes Daehyun brought in. It’s been a while since this had started to happen.

 

The pub owners’ daughter worked there as a cocktail waitress and she had been really friendly towards the two. Daehyun didn’t really see any harm in her as much as Youngjae did. She packed the left-over dishes at the bar that served as appetizers for Daehyun every night before they left; only trying to help.

 

Youngjae didn’t like her one bit, and Daehyun found it a bit hard to absorb. Usually Youngjae was the friendly one out of them. They’ve been at constant arguments for the past week; taken that Youngjae wanted to move out to another apartment that was five miles away from here, and Daehyun disagreeing taken that they hadn’t that much money to throw around.

 

As soon as dinner ended without a word exchanged, Youngjae started at it again.

 

 

 

“I’m telling you Daehyun we should move out. We’ve lived here for two years; you know we can be better than this.”

 

Daehyun put down his chopsticks, met eyes with Youngjae and sighed. He didn’t want to get into another argument, so he kept his lips silent. How come two years had made such a difference? Daehyun thought that they were happy here; living their dream, making their promises come true.

 

Were they too young then?

 

 

 

“Are you listening?!” Youngjae demanded; and Daehyun averted his gaze, standing up. He undressed, and pulled over a shirt. He put down the bed, and lied down. Youngjae wouldn’t stop. “I talked to the house-keeper there and she said the rent’s fifteen hundred thousand.” He went on.

Daehyun tried to shut out his voice.

 

“Why aren’t you even trying, Daehyun?” Youngjae too gave up, and dumped the ceramics onto the wash-basin.

“I told you when we started that I don’t want to be like them when we grow up. I told you when we started that—”

 

Daehyun cut him off with a loud groan. “Urgh, shut up Youngjae, just shut the up! I’m tired. I’ve been awake since six and its eleven in five minutes. I’m tired, okay? Drop it.” He took his pillow over his head and muffled his ears. Youngjae said nothing for the following five minutes; and their light switch went off.

 

Daehyun felt wary when Youngjae dragged backwards a chair and sat down instead of lying down on bed with Daehyun. “I’m tired too.” He mumbled, and Daehyun let the shaky uncertainty of Youngjaes’ tone sink in and become one with the darkness around him.

 

Daehyun couldn’t help but think back. Certainly; Youngjae had said that he wanted to live properly since the beginning, but wasn’t he the one to say that money is never worth but happiness is? Daehyun sighed in the dark.

 

What was happening to them?

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

Hiyejin took both her hands to her cheeks when Daehyun said that Youngjae wasn’t coming to sing with him today. “Omo, what’s wrong, Daehyun-ssi?” She asked, pushing backwards her hair, tucking a fistful behind her ear. Daehyun walked out early after slamming the door on Youngjae – and the pub wasn’t even open yet.

 

“Lots of things on my mind right now.” He confessed, and sat down in front of her, carefully lifting his guitar to the seat next. It’s been four years since Youngjae had brought it for him, and when he thought back; all their arguments felt silly and unworthy. But when Youngjae got started; he couldn’t make him stop.

 

Hiyejin smiled. She walked around the counter and left few pats on Daehyuns head in a small smile. “Must be hard on you.” She said; and Daehyun sighed away.

She was right.

 

He managed a feeble smile; and she replied him with a warmer one. “Shall I get you a drink? It’ll help you clear your mind off of things.” She offered, and Daehyun shook his head to turn her down. But she put a finger on his lips and chuckled. “It’s on the house.”

 

Daehyun was offered half a cup of beer, aware of the fact that he didn’t handle alcohol very well. Daehyun couldn’t help more than three gulps. He never really understood why people drink this anyway; so he gave up and set out to work, found his way to the back where they performed.

 

Ten minutes later; Hiyejin tuned over the sign board and people hustled in, filling up the place. Daehyun started to play the guitar, and sing whatever that crossed his mind. In a pub where everyone was drunk, no one clapped after a song. Daehyun was half expecting Youngjae to walk in; but he never did.

 

Hiyejin had saved him the remainder of his beer in the glass; and at the end of his day – Daehyun chucked it all down. Maybe now he can go back and avoid getting into another fight with Youngjae. Why were they fighting anyway? They can’t afford such a fancy place yet!

 

Had he started to blabber? Hiyejin was now seated next to him aside the counter, nodding and listening as Daehyun went on. Daehyun was vaguely awake and aware of the situation, but his mind was slow and he couldn’t really control his mouth. Some of what he was saying hardly made sense.

 

Hiyejin absorbed everything in a smile and an understanding nod.

 

When Daehyun realized that they were kissing; he could only wonder how it came to that. Her legs were in a tangle around Daehyuns waist and the only thing that was knocking sens

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter