2nd Installment (Part II)

The Adventures of Sunyoung and Soojung

 

The next day, Sunyoung is determined to be as calm and collected as possible. She's not sure that those words have ever been used to talk about her personality, but she was definitely not going to make a fool out of herself again. She walks into English class--- her third class of the day--- and plops down into her seat, scanning the room. Just as she thought. It was a ghost town in here, with only a few kids managing to get there before her. Her phone vibrates, signaling that she's just received a text.

Jinki [10:53 A.M.] Hey stopped by ur locker after second

Sunyoung [10:53 A.M.]  Sorry I went to class early today

Jinki [10:55 A.M.] That's okay, why tho?

Sunyoung [10:55 A.M] No reason

Jinki [10:55 A.M.] You wanted to see ur secret ad mirror, huh

Jinki [10:55 A.M.] *admirer

Sunyoung [10:56 A.M.] No lol stop bringing her up

Jinki [10:56 A.M.] No way she's the most exciting thing to happen to us all year

Sunyoung: [10:57 A.M.] If we're making a list then i'm pretty sure the time you passed out in the hallway due to s takes the cake

Jinki: [10:58 A.M.] Dunno if I would call that exciting

Sunyoung: [10: 58 A.M.] Are you referring to the s or the passing out

Jinki: [10: 58 A.M.] The passing out

Sunyoung [11:00 A.M.] Lol sure

Jinki: [11:01 A.M.] There was no time to get “excited” my circulatory system reacted before I could even react myself

Sunyoung: [11:02 A.M.] Oh right, your circulatory system of course

Jinki: [11:04 A.M.] But seriously, I bring her up cuz I know ur already thinking about her

Sunyoung: [11:04 A.M.] I'm not though?

Jinki:[11:04 A.M.] Admit it, she's on your mind

Sunyoung: [11:04 A.M.] I don't think about her at all actually

Just as she hits send, she looks up and catches Soojung walk through the doorway. They briefly make eye contact before Sunyoung whips her head down and begins to type miscellaneously into her phone in an attempt to look busy. Out of the corner of her eye, she sees the younger girl sit down in her seat, moving to rest her chin in her hand; face as impassive as ever. Unlike the kids around her, she wasn't bustling to ready her supplies before the start of class, opting to kick the worn out backpack that she carried around with her as far as she could underneath her desk, away from reach. Sunyoung marvels at her carelessness and how at odds it was with her elegant looking face--- almost comically so.  

"Shall we get started now, class?" The teacher states more than asks, and just like that, Sunyoung's attention is successfully diverted away from the girl sitting across the room from her.

Jinki [11:05 A.M.] Yeah, we'll see how long that lasts

 


 

"Sunyoung, do you mind staying behind and rearranging the books for me, please?"

"Sure, Mr. Kwon!" She agrees wholeheartedly. Sunyoung's never been the type of person to be unenthusiastic about anything. She finishes packing up her belongings then gets up from her desk, moving over to the cabinet that houses the books they had just finished reading. She picks up the ones strewn arbitrarily across the countertop and stacks them neatly into piles before maneuvering them into the overhead cabinet, humming quietly underneath her breath. She was so concentrated in her task that she didn't notice someone coming towards her until they had set their book down on the countertop a few feet away, slowly sliding it in her direction. Sunyoung startles, eyes darting up to take in the "intruder".

"Sorry I didn't--- see you..." She trails off. It was Soojung. Her dark brown eyes stared down at her, blankly.  Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God.

"S'kay. Sorry, did I scare you?" She asks, eyebrows scrunched in concern. Sunyoung gapes at her for a few more seconds before rushing to reassure her.

"Uh, no! No, I get frazzled like--- pretty easily, so it's not your fault. You didn't scare me," Sunyoung reiterates, flashing her a nervous smile before leaning over to retrieve the book, but Soojung's hand that was resting on top of it doesn't move away.

"Yeah, I can tell. You get frazzled a lot, don't you?"

"Well, yeah, sort of. I'm not really sure why, though," Sunyoung answers distractedly. "Can I..."

"Yeah?" Soojung stares intently at the shorter girl making her shift uncomfortably in place. She points down uncertainly at the object situated between them.

"... erm, take that book now?" Soojung follows her finger and looks down at her own hand covering the book as if she had only just realized that it existed. Sunyoung could've sworn that the younger girl's expression had turned sheepish after her question, but she had no time to analyze it before all of a sudden said book is being shoved into her hand--- and none too gently. She looks down at where the cover had been gravely bent in Soojung's haste then back up at her in bewilderment.

"Oh , sorry, here you go. Sorry about that," Soojung rambles. She reaches for the book but stops herself midway before finally letting her hand fall limply to her side. She clears awkwardly. "I, uh, I think your frazzle-ness is rubbing off on me, or something," She mutters seriously as if she were in the process of telling her about a deadly disease she’d just recently contracted.

Sunyoung raises an eyebrow, lips quirking up in amusement. "Yeah," She stretches out the syllable, firmly unconvinced, "Must be."

Soojung quickly backtracks, "I'm, uh... I'm Soojung, by the way. And I didn't mean what I said about---"

"It's fine. And I know who you are. I'm Sunyoung, it's nice to officially meet you," She smiles at her warmly.

"Definitely," Soojung's eyes widen, "I mean, yeah, nice to meet you, too. Officially." A beat of silence passes between them where neither of them have any clue what to say next. "I, uh... I like your sweatshirt," Soojung ventures, motioning at the garment with her chin. "I have the same one."

"Oh," Sunyoung regards the forest green sweatshirt she was wearing with renewed interest then smiles up at the other girl. "Thanks! And that's cool."

"Yeah. Too bad I decided not to wear it today or we'd be matching right now," Soojung remarks cooly.

Sunyoung laughs nervously, not sure how to respond. "Right! What a bummer." 

"Sunyoung!" A voice calls from out of nowhere. They turn and see Minho standing in the middle of the doorway, smiling widely at Sunyoung.

"Hey, Minho," Sunyoung waves. She realizes that she’s still holding onto the book and sets it carefully down on the countertop.

"Hey, what're you still doing in here? We've all been waiting for you. Oh, and uh, hi Soojung," Minho says, walking over to the two girls.

"Catch you guys later." Soojung says calmly, and gives Sunyoung one last look before disappearing from the room.

Minho is the first to speak after her departure. "So... what was that all about?"

Sunyoung isn't completely sure, either, so she busies herself with putting away the last book rather than give him an answer. "We were just talking about... stuff," She finally says, "It was kind of a weird conversation, actually."

"What do you mean?"

Sunyoung thinks carefully for a few moments. "She kept jumping back and forth between being forward and being nervous. Like she couldn't decide or something."

"Huh. That does sound weird,” Minho says.

"Yeah," She breathes out a laugh. "Anyway, forget about it, let's just head to lunch. "

As the pair walk down to the cafeteria, Sunyoung couldn't help but be distracted from her conversation with Minho. Maybe Amber, Key, and Jinki could help her make sense of the situation, but for some reason, she didn't want to tell them about what had happened at the end of third period. They'd probably try to convince her that Soojung was into her or something and she didn't want to hear their endless teasing. Or maybe she just didn't want to get her hopes up. Even though it's only been five minutes after their first conversation, she wouldn't mind having another one with Soojung sometime in the very immediate future. Maybe even right now. And she doesn't know why she feels this way, all of a sudden; she just does. Maybe Sunyoung just wants someone to talk to and hang out with outside of her normal, bizarre group of friends. And out of the hundreds of kids that attended her school, Sunyoung definitely wouldn't mind that someone being Soojung. No, she couldn't find it in herself to mind one bit.  

 


 

hi guys, so i'm not really sure how well this actually fits in with the last chapter, but i wanted to put something out there even if its something really short. i was feeling inspired today and wrote this in a few hours, so if it , you know why haha. anyway, hope you enjoy!