First Installment

The Adventures of Sunyoung and Soojung

                  “So, is Friday still on?” Soojung asks, leaning against the adjacent locker of the older girl, waiting for an answer. Sunyoung hums for a few moments, grabbing her math textbook and handing it to Soojung who takes it obediently.

                  “I don’t know, babe. My friend’s going out of town that day and she wants me to go over and take care of her cat while she’s gone.” Soojung groans loudly, pressing her cheeks up against the cool metal locker and pouts.

                  “But we were going to game together! I stole my cousin’s Super Smash Bros 4 just for this occasion. We have to hurry and unlock all the characters and stages before he notices!” Sunyoung rolls her eyes and hands Soojung another textbook.

                  “You’re so mean to your cousin." Then after a moment of contemplation, she says.  "Actually, if you want, you could bring the console over to my friend's place. Play it there.”

                  “Yeah, but it'd be so weird getting it on at some stranger’s house— Ow!” Soojung rubs the spot where Sunyoung had smacked her and gives her a sheepish grin. “What? I can't be the only one here who thinks we aren't going to just game all night.” Sunyoung’s cheeks redden and she quickly shuts her locker with a loud clang. “Yes, you are. Game, eat, watch 50 First Dates, and cuddle. That was the agenda. I'm not sure about what you were expecting to get done Friday night.”

                  “The same things as you! I just think we should… add to it, that's all.” They begin walking to Sunyoung’s class.

                  “You know,” Sunyoung starts, biting her lower lip, grabbing the attention of the younger almost instantaneously, “My friend’s couch is really something else, you know? Tempurpedic, almost. I wouldn’t mind laying there for hours.” Soojung’s eyes widen into saucers upon the shorter girl’s unusual remarks, but she recovers quickly. She slings an arm around her and pulls the older girl closer to her body.  

                  “Stop being a tease.” Soojung’s breath is warm against Sunyoung’s ear. Though the pair joked about it now, they actually hadn't gotten around to doing that just yet. Sunyoung was content with the pace their relationship was moving and Soojung tried to be respectful of her, but everytime Sunyoung said stuff like that, Soojung could feel her resolve crumbling bit by bit, like a burning building. “You know, you haven't been over at my house in awhile.”

                  “That’s because whenever I do, I become a distraction.”

                  “Good. Come and distract me.” They reach Sunyoung’s math class. Soojung hands the older girl her books.

                  “How about this? I'll let you take me out on a date Saturday night and then we' can both be distractions to each other. Okay?” Soojung smiles widely, not believing her ears. 

                Soojung knew that she was giving her girlfriend unnecessary flak for not being able to spend as much time together as she'd like. Unlike Soojung, who set aside way too much time to complete schoolwork plus the extra hour or so she dedicated to just being alone in her room, Sunyoung was the epitome of the word busy. She never stopped moving. The older girl is always knee deep in... something. Whatever that may be, Soojung can't help but feel grateful for the fact that despite Sunyoung's engagement in other things, Soojung never once felt that she was being pushed away. She knows she should be convincing her girlfriend to get some much needed rest, but just this once, Soojung wanted to be selfish. She misses the older girl so much that frankly it hurt.

               "Okay." 

They stare at each other for a few moments, their eyes glowing brightly. Sunyoung is the first to break the silence.

                   “You should get to class.” Soojung nods wordlessly and leans down to give her a chaste kiss on the lips before shoving her hands into her pockets and disappearing down the hallway. Soojung had class all the way on the other side of the school, which worried Sunyoung, but the younger always assured her that she was on time everyday. Soojung was one grade level below Sunyoung. The only class they had in common was English,  a compulsory course for all students and the only foreign langauge taught at their school. Soojung grew up in San Francisco, so she had no trouble keeping up with the coursework, and sounded much better than their teacher in Sunyoung’s opinion. After class, Sunyoung exits the room to find Soojung already outside, waiting for her. Sunyoung fights the smile that threatens to break out across her face at the sight of her stone faced girlfriend who was trying hard to conceal her breathlessness, but Sunyoung could clearly see the rising and falling of her chest even if her face muscles denied it.

                  “I thought a Jung ran for no one?”1 Sunyoung asks when she reaches her. Soojung looks down at her, perplexed.

                  “Who said you were no one?”

At the end of the day. Soojung invites Sunyoung over to her house for a mini date which Sunyoung accepts only for the fact that Soojung promised that they'd study also.

Sprawling her notes and textbooks across the floor, Sunyoung settles down onto her stomach to work. Soojung had given her a blanket to put underneath her to make her more comfortable as well as a bowl of sliced fruit. Soojung had set aside a bag of lobster flavored chips for herself.

                  “Soojung-ah, come sit next to me,” Sunyoung calls, not looking up from her work. Upon getting no response, Sunyoung looks up and her eyes widen and parts in surprise at the sight in front of her. A few feet away, the younger girl can be seen perched on top of her hands and feet, her cat like eyes gazing deeply into her own. Sunyoung swallows nervously and drops her pencil on top of her notebook which lands with a dull thud. Soojung looks down at the pencil for a moment then locks her eyes back onto the older girl with a smirk. Sunyoung’s breathing hitches. She had always found Soojung’s blank stares to be alluring all on its own, but something about the way the girl looked in that moment made her seem so… dominant. Sunyoung quite liked it.

                  “S-Soojung?” She murmurs softly. The younger begins to move slowly across the living room floor, circling around her a few times before pausing to her left. Sunyoung could feel her cheeks grow warm at the incessant eye contact they were having and even more so at the looks of desire being thrown her way. Finally, after what seemed like hours, Soojung pounces on top of the older girl’s back, eliciting a yelp from the latter.

                  “What are you doing?” Sunyoung couldn’t help but laugh at the absurdity of the situation. A moment later, she feels a slight pressure on her left shoulder and looks taken aback for a moment. “Did you just bite me?” Soojung releases her and shoves her face into the older girl’s neck.

                  “Buy me bread.”

                  Sunyoung blinks for a few seconds then rolls her eyes in exasperation. Of course those looks of yearning weren’t directed at her.

                  “Go buy it yourself.” She mutters, picking up her pencil and resuming her forgotten assignment until all of a sudden she feels Soojung's limbs try to worm their way beneath her until they're fully wrapped around her midsection, There was virtually zero space between them now, so when Soojung shifts her body to rest higher on her back, Sunyoung feels all of it. She resists the urge to moan when Soojung leans in close to her ear to whisper in a low, sultry voice,

                  “Please, baby? I’m dying here.”

                  “No, I’m dying here. Would you get off of me?”

                  “Buy me bread first.”

                  “You couldn’t have said something while we passed the supermarket on the way here?” Sunyoung asks, clearly agitated.          

                  “Sorry, I didn’t want to bother you.” Clearly acknowledging the hole in her reasoning, she lays her head down on her shoulder and presses her nose up against the older girl's hair, remaining quiet. Sunyoung looks back and sees the dejected expression on the younger girl's face and sighs.

                  “Aish, the things I do for you. Fine, let’s go.” Soojung perks up instantly.

                  “Really? You’ll buy me bread?”

                  “Yes, I’ll buy you your stupid bread, now get off me. You’re heavy,” She breathes a sigh of relief as Soojung quickly does as she’s told and climbs off her back. Sunyoung dusts off her skirt and looks upon the sight of Soojung bouncing on the balls of her heels in amusement. “If I didn’t know any better, I would think you were having an affair with the damned thing.” Soojung just grins and shrugs in a cute manner. Sunyoung shakes her head with a smile and retrieves her keys from off the kitchen table.

Once they’re on the road, Soojung pipes up from the seat next to her,

                  “You know, even if I do decide one day that human relationships just don’t cut it for me anymore, I don’t see how it could work.”

                  “What do you mean?” Sunyoung takes her eyes off the road for a second to glance at her strangely.

                  “Well, you said “damned thing”. Which in any case would refer to one single object, but if we’re talking about bread than it isn’t just one single thing, right? Because bread is plural.”

                  “Hm. Yeah, I guess. What's your point?”

                  “I’m just trying to wrap my head around how I would be able to maintain an affair with every loaf of bread on the planet.”

                  “Please don’t.”

                  “And slightly off topic, but I have to ask. How would you react to seeing the very food that took me away from you every time you walked into a grocery store? You’d go crazy, right?”

                  “I’d go so crazy that I'd start a campaign to put bread into extinction, so I’d never have to see it again.” Sunyoung states distractedly, pulling into the parking lot of the supermarket. She said it to humor the younger girl, but judging by the way she remains quiet for the remainder of the time it takes Sunyoung to park the car, it was definitely not recieved that way.

                  “What would you name it?”

                  “What?”

                  “The campaign.”

                  “Oh. Um…" She thinks for a moment. "The Justice for Sunyoung Alliance or JSA for short. In protest of my girlfriend who left me for bread. My mascot would be burnt toast.”

                  “I don’t know if I could continue a relationship with you if that campaign pulled through, though.”

                  “Not if, when it pulls through. See, I'm not having any of that uncertainty because I’m sure as hell not losing to bread, babe. I’m going to whoop its .”

                  “You mean its asses. Plural, remember?”   

                  “I change my mind. I’m going to whoop your for making me have a conversation about this in the first place."

                  “Oh, come on,” Soojung says, unbuckling her seatbelt and getting out of the car, “It’s good that we’re having this conversation now.” Drops of rain start falling from the sky and Soojung pulls her hood up over her head.

                  “Yeah, and why’s that?” Sunyoung deadpans.

                  “Because now I know how far you’d go to win me back. You must really love me, huh?”

                  “Sure, I love you so much that I’m willing to stand here and listen to you babble on about a hypothetical situation where you leave me for yeast, water, and three cups of flour.”

                  “Exactly.” Soojung stops walking and in doing so, stops Sunyoung whose hand was clasped in the younger girl’s.

                  “What’s wrong?” Sunyoung looks up at her, confused. “Why’d we stop?”

                  “I love you.”

                  “I love you, too, but we should really get out of this rain,” Sunyoung says and resumes walking only to be gently tugged back.

                  “No, I really…really love you.” Soojung reiterates, staring at her earnestly. Sunyoung is left dazed at the sudden shift of mood but says nothing. “I love you for being able to put up with my weirdness and my attempts at getting you into bed with me and my bread cravings. I’ll never leave you for anyone or anything else. I love you.”

Sunyoung is slightly taken aback by the sudden declaration but smiles softly, her eyes crinkling into crescent moons.

                 "I love you, too," She says in a way more focused and acute than before and leans up on her tiptoes to bring the younger girl into a tender kiss. They stay like that in the middle of the parking lot with rain pouring down on their heads, soaking through their jackets until it collides with the skin beneath them, oblivious of the cars honking and the drivers screaming profanity. 

 


 

1.  I once saw this phrase being used in reference to Sooyeon, and it was just so perfect with the image that I wanted Soojung to have in this story that I just had to use it haha. 

 Please don't be a silent reader! Commenting and subscribing does wonders, you know. 

A/N:  After reading this over, I can't help but to change some things I felt dissatisfied with. Hopefully, it isn't too noticeable lol!