They Call Me Jaebum But You Can Call Me Tonight

Overwrite Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Jinyoung refuses to admit that he’s dealing with his break up with Mark negatively. It’s not like it’s easy to forget someone you have been with for a year. Of course, he still wakes up thinking about how he’s going to spend the day with Mark only to realize they had already called it quits. Jinyoung still plans his calendar, out of a habit, with the older guy in mind. It has been roughly two months since then, but there's a part of him which still refuses to accept the fact that they are indeed over.

 

He cried on the night before their break up, after Mark had canceled their date on the usual coffee shop only to see his boyfriend was with someone else. Jinyoung would have fooled himself that Mark was with a friend, but the latter’s hand possessively holding the person’s nape as he kissed him tells him otherwise. He wasn’t expecting it to come sooner, but just as he finally calmed down from his crying, Mark sent him an SMS, ‘can you meet me at GOT Coffee tomorrow after class, I’m gonna tell you something important.’

 

The next moment he finds himself in the coffee shop, the same guy, his boyfriend was with yesterday, is also there in front of him. He looked foreign and according to Mark, when he was still able to take in what the guy was talking about before anger had deafened him out, his name is Jackson and he’s from Hong Kong, he’s also his childhood friend.

 

“I know this is too much to ask, but I hope I can remain friends with you.” Mark says right after Jinyoung shedded a tear and it almost made him laugh, if Professor Fletcher from Whiplash were there, he would have been called a single teared . Jinyoung, out of his love for Mark, nods and sees the most genuine smile Mark has ever shown him. “Me too, I hope I can be friends with you.” Jackson mumbles with a sheepish smile.

 

Jinyoung hates how he can never say no to Mark; the latter, despite being quieter, had always been the braver one, always trying out new things. He, on the other hand, had always been a play safe, hiding inside his cocoon of comfort. The first time was when Mark went to his dormitory with a bruising hickey on his neck, “It’s nothing, Jin, I was just curious about how a girl gives a hickey” he said as an explanation, as he hugged him from behind, but with the way he smelled Jinyoung knew it was more than just a curiosity.

 

Seeing Mark with other girls or guys had been something constant in their relationship, but Mark always tells him, “you’re the only person I love.” Despite hurting, Jinyoung takes that and even though Mark never apologized, Jinyoung always forgives him. Because Mark is just like that, he’s a person who refuses to be bound by any rules and standards and does whatever he wants.

 

Jinyoung knew very well that if he were to ask Mark to stop doing those things, that would mean asking the older guy to change himself for him. He learned to love Mark because of his spontaneity, his free spiritedness, his persistence, and his bravery, wouldn’t it be stupid to hate him for that as well? Jinyoung endured him throughout their relationship, but he never expected him to break it off with him.

 

 

 

“Hey, the library’s closing, shouldn’t you leave by now?” Jinyoung hears from his left, there standing beside him dressed in a basketball jersey is their school’s basketball star, Im Jaebum. Jinyoung wants to ask why  Jaebum is there in the library looking like he had just finished practicing with sweat and all, but that’s none of his business. “You’ve been there looking at the same page for the last fifteen minutes. Are you even reading?” he sais again as he snickers.

 

“I’m sorry.” Jinyoung mumbles, putting his book inside his bag, readying himself to leave. Jaebum snickers again then he hears another voice, coming from the student assistant, if he remembered it right, the guy’s name is Youngjae. Jaebum then leaves his side and goes towards the counter where the student assistant is. Youngje is talking about where he wants to eat with his Jaebum hyung as payment for something. When he turned to them, he saw Jaebum pinching Youngjae’s cheek, saying words like, ‘if you do aegyo for hyung, I will buy you pizzas.’

 

He felt like he’s intruding an intimate scene, so he leaves as quiet as possible. He left with a bittersweet smile; Mark never did that to him, they were always quiet when they are together. He doesn’t hate it, though, he thought that it was actually special; they don’t need words to communicate. Just lying side by side and eyes on each other. It’s not like he doesn’t have anything to tell the older, Mark is just a really quiet person and he doesn’t want to change that.

 

 


The next time Jinyoung sees Jaebum, it's during intramurals, the guy is on the court owning the game like a pro. Jinyoung is there to cover the event as he is a writer of their school publication; he’s with Yugyeom, a photojournalist apprentice. He found out that the student assistant he thought was Jaebum's boyfriend is actually Yugyeom's when the latter introduced Youngjae to him.

 

Jackson is also there on the court, he’s in the opposite team where Jaebum plays. The game is Engineering department versus Arts department and Jinyoung cheers for the latter, not because it’s the opposing team of his ex's boyfriend, but because he’s in that department, he believes in that.

 

He first met Jaebum when they were freshmen; he actually met him before Mark, at first, he thought they were going to be college buddies. They were classmates in a GE subject, but it turned out that the guy’s personality is so different from his. On their first week, Jaebum had already managed to befriend almost half of the school population while Jinyoung was still awkward with his classmates.  

 

They drifted apart a month after they met, Jinyoung found it suffocating to be around with Jaebum, who constantly has a lot of people around him. Then a semester after that, he finally met the quiet engineering major named Mark who eventually became his boyfriend. When the half time break came in, he saw Mark wiping Jackson’s sweats, giving him a bottle of water, and cheering him with a kiss. Jinyoung thinks that it has only been four months, he can't move on and get over his ex yet, so he looked away when he saw Jackson leaning towards Mark.

 

In the middle of the game, the referee called Jackson for a foul as he and Jaebum literally clashed against each other, making the latter topple and fall on his back badly. The whole gymnasium shouted at the scene, Jaebum’s teammates immediately went to his side and helps him stand up. He was then given a chance to do free throw and maybe it was just Jinyoung, but he felt that Jaebum turned to him before he threw the ball was able to shoot it perfectly. The game continued on and the Arts department won.

 

Jaebum’s team cheers and celebrates while on the other side of the room was Jackson’s team. And of course, Mark instantly goes to Jackson side, hugging him and kissing him. Jinyoung couldn’t help, but wonder why Mark never kissed him in front of other people before, they held hands, but they never kissed. “Jinyoung hyung!” he turns away from the scene between his ex and Jackson when Yugyeom called him, he had his DSLR in his hands and their department’s bandana tied on his wrist. The younger looks like the stereotype of their course.

 

“Hyung, it’s nice that our department won, I have a lot of shots of our MVP!” he happily announces as he fumbles with the device, showing him photos of Jaebum. The crowd’s already thinning out by then and that’s good since he still has to interview Jaebum. And when the fangirls and fanboys decreased significantly, Jinyoung goes to Jaebum’s side with Yugyeom in tow.

 

“I'm glad you watched my game.” Jaebum says, walking closer to Jinyoung, meeting him halfway, smiling to him. “uhh, I’m covering for the game.” Jinyoung replies, showing Jaebum his campus press ID. The MVP nods, “So, are you going to interview me? Or?” he asks Jinyoung as he glances towards the freshman taking photos like a paparazzi. “Yugyeom.” The writer calls the apprentice’s attention to which the kid mumbled an apology to him and Jaebum.

 

The interview with Jaebum went well, except for Yugyeom’s fanboying when the basketball player  mentioned that he has the same major as him. Despite Jaebum being considered as a basketball star in their university, he’s still humble and answers Jinyoung’s questions intelligently. “Um, you’re welcome? Not to sound like a jock, but it would be nice if I can take you out?” he replies after Jinyoung thanked him as a formality for the end of their interview.

 

“I mean, will you go out on a date with me?” Jaebum asked when Jinyoung gave him an incredulous look. The basketball player’s waiting for the writer’s reply with his teammates’ voice in the background talking about their after party. “Uhh. I guess that’s a no? But, if you change your mind,” he said again and quickly steals the pen and notebook from Jinyoung, scribbling something on the top page. “Here’s my number, you can call me or send me a message.” he hands it back to Jinyoung as he gives him a sincere smile.

 

“Please give it a thought.” He then reaches his hand to pat Jinyoung’s shoulder, “Please?” he says again, and when he didn’t get a reply, he smiles at him once more, leaves the writer, and goes back to his teammates. It’s not like he wants to say no, but going out on a date with someone while you’re still not over someone would be meaningless. It’s like trying out clothes in clothing shop but not buying anything, you're only tiring yourself.

 

 

Jinyoung decided to clean his dorm room, it was very rare for him to do it, not because he likes dirt and all, but because he thought it would make him feel better. But he was wrong; cleaning his room meant cleaning all his memories with Mark away. He can see him in every corner of his room, he can see him lying on his bed, he can see him on the pile of dirty clothes he has yet to wash.

 

He learned that it’s hard to move on when he is always in a constant battle between wanting to and not wanting to. So when he sees an old photograph of him and Mark he cries for a good hour before proceeding to finish cleaning whilst trying to stop himself from crying more. When he’s almost done, he sees his small notebook he uses when he interviews and gathers information when he’s covering for school events.

 

It’s already filled with notes; the last time he used that was two months a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter