Chapter 6: It's Not All Fun

My Overprotective Brother TOP
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

Playing: Ain't No Fun - Big Bang (2012)

 

 

 

 

“Cheers!”

 

The small neighbourhood barbeque pub was full and noisy once our entire staff and crew sat down for dinner, and because the older cast as well as the PDs were in the mood for celebration, they ordered beer and soju for all of us.

 

I wasn’t much of a drinker, even though Oppa takes me drinking sometimes. He was the first to teach me to drink, but he has strictly kept it to beer (my first alcohol), champagne and wine (once I debuted), and mixed drinks (the only time I was ever allowed to go to a bar – on his watch).

 

Someone snapped a glass filled with beer in front of me – my eyes widened.

 

“It’s somaek. Are you alright to drink that?” A voice to my left spoke up gently.

 

I looked up at Park Bogum, my co-actor. He gave me a huge smile.

 

I grinned back sheepishly. “I’ve never had somaek before. And...I’m not really sure if I can drink this...”

 

“Is it your oppa again?” One of the older actors laughed. Obviously, his strictness was like a legend.

 

“I was in a drama with Seunghyun before. Why don’t you call him up and let’s ask his permission?”

 

My face flushed up in embarrassment at such a huge deal over a small thing, before nodding in agreement, and the table seemed to quiet down as I dialled up his number.

 

“Put him on speakerphone,” the actor suggested.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Oppa, I’ll put you on speakerphone.” I swiped the button for that and handed the phone to my senior.

 

“Oh, does this have a video feature?” He clicked some buttons and suddenly he was holding the phone up for his face to show.

 

“Seunghyun-ah, we’re on a staff dinner. I heard Sihyunnie hasn’t had somaek before.” He spun the phone so that the front camera aimed at me, and I waved. Beside me, Bogum and D.O. who sat at my right, bowed and waved also.

 

“Yah, what type of brother are you that you didn’t teach her to drink this?” our senior scolded him as our side of the table chuckled. I can hear my brother’s soft sheepish laugh behind the screen.

 

“I was about to do that, but we both got so busy.”

 

“Well, will you let her drink that with us, just for tonight?”

 

“I’m not really sure...she's not really a strong drinker and I don’t want her to be drunk and be a nuisance to you all...”

 

 “We’ll take good care of her,” Taeran-sunbae assured him, but he doesn’t look very convinced as his gaze focused on me.

 

“But if you’re not comfortable with it, we’ll make sure she doesn’t drink much, or at all,” Bogum spoke up.

 

I side-eyed him a bit at that. ”Mwoya...that’s a bit much...” I whispered hastily, to which he returned a huge joking smile and a shrug. I could feel D.O. almost collapsing in suppressed laughter beside me.

 

“No, she can drink,” my brother amended. “But maybe next time for somaek. Thank you for taking good care of her.” He managed a small bow and my cast mates gave him small claps.

 

I reddened as my senior handed me back my phone. I turned the video feature and speakerphone off and cupped my hand to the speaker to speak to him normally.

 

“Do you see what fuss I have to go through because of you??” I chided him irritably in a low voice, and he responded with a loud laugh.

 

“What? At least they have the decency to ask me if that’s okay. See what sort of good things my constant care is doing for you?”

 

I seethed, not really knowing how to reply. So I settled for the simplest one.

 

“Whatever, it’s still embarrassing! I feel like a child!”

 

“You kind of are,” he shot back. “Don’t you dare drink more than one glass of that beer. And no somaek.” He paused.

 

“By the way, why are those guys sitting beside you? Go over to Lee Taeran-sunbae’s side.”

 

“I’m going!” I snipped back, and swiped the call to end, not really wanting to move. He’s not going to pester me anyway if he can’t see.

 

D.O. noticed that I ended the call, so he turned to me, “How many glasses?”

 

I frowned, miffed. “One. And beer only, please.”

 

He chuckled as he poured me a glass and set it carefully before me.

 

“Your brother is cool,” Bogum commented. “I’d never be able to make other people have to ask my permission for anything,” he chuckled.

 

"That's 'cause you're too nice," D.O. said, earning him a slap on the back from the former.

 

"Seriously, your brother is great. Hope I get to work with him," Bogum wiggled his eyebrows playfully.

 

"What, were you just kissing up then when you offered to watch over me?" I jokingly narrowed my eyes. He let out a laugh.

Please log in to read the full chapter