Chapter 4: His Songs

My Overprotective Brother TOP
Please log in to read the full chapter

Now Playing: Stay With Me - Taeyang (ft. G-Dragon)

It was a rare day without a schedule, so I decided to make good on Bommie eonni's date before she blows up at me, too. I peeked through the door of the dance studio that 2NE1 always use; but to my surprise, it wasn't a group of girls that I saw through the glass. Hanbin was cheerfully beating the groove out of team B's Yunhyeong in typical Hanbin fashion; and by the looks of it, Yunhyeong didn't look too pleased.

 

I tried the next studio, but it was empty. I turned the corner to the recording studios, but to no avail.

 

Instead, I saw a familiar figure hunched over the table in one recording room. I in a breath as I watched him, with his forehead on one arm and his other hand spinning a pencil listlessly between his fingers, as his song played inside the small room. His album is due to come out, but he still looks stressed. What's wrong? I furrowed my brow in confusion.

 

I debated whether to go in and ask if he's okay, or to just walk away. I bit my lip, going for the latter option, when suddenly he looked up and spun his chair around.

 

Of course, he had to set his sight on me lurking by the door.

Great, I muttered. He smiled and gestured for me to come in. I smiled sheepishly and turned the knob.

 

He turned the volume down as I walked closer. "Hey, Sihyun. Checking up on me?" Youngbae-oppa grinned playfully. I shook my head violently, willing my face to stay passive enough.

 

"I was looking for 2NE1-eonnis. And then I saw you." I paused. "You okay?" I added in a small voice. I darted a glance at him and looked back down at my shoes.

 

"Well." he paused. "It's nothing. I feel better now." I could hear the smile in his tone. "Because Sihyunnie came by."

 

I blushed uncontrollably at his words. I readjusted my cap so that my face would be covered in shadow and looked furtively at him. He was grinning widely, then spun his chair around again.

 

"Take a seat. Let me play you something." he said, pointing to the black leather couch in the room. He grabbed a can of iced coffee and chips on the table next to the sound booth and handed them to me. "So that you don't run away."

 

I was dumbfounded with the way he's cheekily teasing me. We've known each other a long time, but our interactions were mostly with his group, or when he'd occasionally pop in the training rooms with Seungri. Mostly he'd be nice and ask about my work, but the longest conversation we'd held with only the two of us was that one time we went to Daesung's church.

I hate knowing that I'm the only one not comfortable in here, and he has no clue.

 

He had his back to me now, and was muttering to himself. Then, music softly poured out of the huge speakers, going louder and louder as he adjusted the volume.

 

I watched his face breaking out slowly in a growing smile, which made me smile. The song was completely his style, and his voice totally suited the catchy rhythm.

"It sounds very...you." I said without thinking. I clapped a hand over my mouth and he chuckled. "Does it? Then I guess I succeeded."

 

We listened until the second chorus, then he flipped over to the next song. "This one, I wrote with GD."

 

Another song poured out of the speakers, interwoven with his voice and Jiyong-oppa's rap. I bopped my head along the music, completely oblivious that he was looking. I paused when I realized that his eyes were on me, and he grinned as he mimicked my actions, encouraging me to go with the music again.

 

We bobbed our heads sideways rhythmically, and I giggled as he swayed his arms and started dancing in his seat. He seemed to get more encouraged by that, so he waved his hands around wider, making us both laugh.

 

He stood up from the swivel chair as the song ended and plopped down on the couch next to me. He took the still unopened can of coffee from my hand and snapped the top open before handing it back to me.

Please log in to read the full chapter