Chapter 1: Premieres

My Overprotective Brother TOP
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Playing: Lollipop - Big Bang feat. 2NE1

 

"The media conference for The Commitment went well, and many praised the entire cast for their hard work. The leads for the movie, Kim Yoojung and Choi Seunghyun, also known as Big Bang's TOP, showed their easy chemistry and playful banter in the event which made everyone adore the brother-sister tandem of this new movie."

 

I squinted at the tiny screen as he smiled and posed comically in front of the camera. He’s got that proud, I-honestly-did-really-well-there smug grin on his face, I mused.

 

They were nearing the end of the Q&A, and though he looked very happy, he also seemed so tired. I should probably ask him out to dinner tonight. To make up, as well, I added ruefully. I'm sure he's very annoyed with me right now.

 

I turned my attention again to the interview they were having. There were standard questions, questions that I myself have been asked before; and sure enough, there again was the question that brought fascination to the ones who followed our lives, almost like a curious fact.

 

“This is a movie where you do everything to protect your younger sister. In real life, you also have a little sister. Would you say that you would do the same as your character when it comes to her?”

“I think, as a brother, you can’t help but do so. I am thankful that I was able to work well with Yoojung-ssi, I was able to channel brotherly feelings to portray my character, almost as if she was my dongsaeng like Sihyun.”

“Towards what would you protect Choi Sihyun-ssi, when it comes to it?”

I watched as Oppa laughed. “Boys?” He had answered instantly. The entire audience laughed as well, and I could hear his Big Bang dongsaengs hooting in the background. I rolled my eyes.

“If you would introduce your younger sister to any of the Big Bang members as a possible boyfriend, who would that member be?”

 

Nobody, I thought, almost grudgingly.

“To Big Bang? No, not at all,” he had answered. “For the sake of the team, Big Bang, which is like my real family, I would not introduce her to them like that,” he paused. “Especially to Seungri-ssi.”

The entire hall, and even his co-stars, erupted in mirth at his stubbornness. I pouted in resignation, and let my mind wander.

 

I know how serious my brother was about this particular subject, though mostly, I could not understand it. He's protective to the core, even more than our father. He fussed over me dating like an old man, and reasoned out that he has seen how boys ogled and drooled after Dara-eonni and Bom-eonni, to know that if he lets up even just one time, I'd be violated in the worst possible way. I shuddered inwardly. I didn't think he was exactly right, and it was excessive.

 

Still, I appreciated the way he looked after me, especially since Dad fell sick and died two years ago. It was a heavy burden for a twenty-two year old then; but he stuck to his new role seriously. Too seriously, perhaps.

‘I’ll beat the lights out of any guy who thinks he can have his way around my little sister.’ He had said this to me before. I had rolled my eyes in annoyance then. But I have no doubt that on the day that I do actually break my heart because of a boy, he'd make good on this vow.

 

I'm just not very sure if that should be a good thing or a bad thing.

 

I hummed quietly as my manager rounded car to the corner of the street that led up to the 'office'. I absentmindedly grabbed my bag, though it was a good five blocks to the building entrance. As we got nearer and nearer, I thought I could already make out groups of people standing around in the cold near the parking entrance of YG Building.

 

'Sihyun-ah.' a voice broke me out of my wandering mind. 'Make sure to apologize to TOP-hyungnim for making you miss out on the premiere.' Jinseok-oppa glanced nervously at me through the rearview mirror. 'I really don't relish dealing with long-winded explanations.'

 

I burst out laughing. Patting his shoulder lightly, I tried my best to comfort him. 'Kwenchana. It's not like he can do anything about my changing schedules.'

 

'No, really. I don't mind him being annoyed with me, but he can get really persistent when it comes to you. It'll if he follows me around again, asking me to book his schedules in your calendar.' He rolled his eyes. Jinseok-oppa is one of the few people who can ever talk about Top-oppa like this to me, though he's younger than him. What's funny is that Top-oppa totally knows how annoyed he is with him sometimes, yet he allows it since Jinseok-oppa is a great manager and he likes annoying him anyway.

 

His ring glinted in the light pouring in from the windshield. It also helps that he's married young. Else, he probably won't even be my manager, or be speaking so casually to me like this.

 

'Eiih. You should just tell him off, when that happens, or send him to the 'principal's office. You don't have any leverage against him, do you?'

 

'Only his dating pictures.'

 

'That's not gonna work. You should get Seungri-oppa to help you.' I said as he pulled the van into the covered garage of YG. People poured in from the street but were promptly shooed back outside the gate by the guards. I slung my bag on my shoulder, slid the door open, not waiting for Jinseok-oppa to do it for me.

 

Immediately I heard people yelling towards me. “Sihyun-ssi!”

 

“Unni!!”

 

“Aaa, noona, please look this way!”

 

I smiled apologetically as I got out of my black van at the crowd waiting in front of YG building. I bowed to them slightly and hurried inside. I wanted to stay and chat for a while, but I knew there was someone waiting impatiently for me in there. I was still smiling when I entered the hall and was surprised when I became face to face with him.

 

“Oppa! You’re here,” I rushed towards him and greeted him. I gave him a playful nudge at the stomach. “Omo, is that belly fat?”

“Ya, dongsaeng! We’re at work, you know.” He rubbed his belly slightly. “Hey, that wasn’t fat. You naughty kid.”

I laughed. “Kidding, oppa. Did you just get here?”

“Nope,” He said, popping the ‘p’. “Hey. You said you were going to my premiere.” He waved a finger at me accusingly. “WHERE WERE YOU??”

 

I sighed. Of course, as expected, a trial is in order for my noticeable absence in his movie’s first showing. “I was out reading lines. Happy?” I rolled my eyes. He stared at me for a good minute before he decided that he believed me. 'Why does he even think that I'd bother lying to him?'

 

"Just checking. Where's Jinseok-ie?"

"Hiding from you. Stop pestering him. It wasn't his fault the schedule bumped up."

"I'm not going to. You should give me more credit," He pouted, the big man-child. "I was going to ask if he wanted to go eat out with us."

 

I brightened up. "I was thinking of going out for sushi with you! Y'know, to make up for my absence and all. But I'd love it if you pay." I teased. He grimaced. "Where's the part where you're trying to make up to me?"

 

"Aww, you earn much much more than I do," I clung with one arm on his bicep and wove my other arm around exaggeratedly. He poked my forehead with a finger. "You got more roles this year. Shouldn't you treat me if you have this new drama that you missed my premiere for?"

 

"I haven't been paid yet," I replied nonchalantly. I let go of his arm. "Wait for me here, oppa. I'll only get my purse and jacket that I left earlier in 2NE1's studio." I started to walk towards the elevator before I remembered something. "Dara-eonni was at the premiere. Shall I ask the eonnis to join us for sushi?" I raised an eyebrow, already knowing what the answer will be.

 

He looked away. "Nah. It's late, so probably they already ate." He glanced back at me and jutted h

Please log in to read the full chapter