At the Right Angel

12 days of Christmas with Seventeen

Seungcheol lies alone in the snowy bank by the side of the road, watching the lonely flakes drift down from the wide, white expanse of sky above. It is eerily quiet, the sounds of the city muffled by the heavy snowfall that fell in droves overnight, blanketing all it touched in a shroud of silence. Few cars are on the road today due to its abrupt nature, and today’s schedule has been cancelled due to lack of transportation.

He closes his eyes to enjoy the quiet, and when they next open, an angel is hovering over him.

The weak sunlight reflecting off the snow gives Jihoon’s washed out hair an ethereal glow. The pink has long faded, leaving him with ashy blond locks once more. Seungcheol grins up at the grumpy man staring down at him: for once, the shortie towered over him.

“Hyung, did you get hit by a car?”

“I can’t afford that! No, I’m having some fun. Come join me,” says Seungcheol with a chuckle. He pats the freshly fallen snow next to him, his glove leaving a hand-shaped indentation.

Jihoon regards him with a serious expression, before carefully sitting down in the snow.

“Now lie down.” Seungcheol tsks as Jihoon just flops onto his back, and grabs his hand.

“With hands outstretched, like this. Now swipe your legs from side to side.”

The susurrus of snow sandwiching from their movements fills the air. Then Seungcheol offers Jihoon a mittened hand up, and they step back to assess their work. The mess on the right is enormous and slightly chubby, consequences of Seungcheol’s puffy winter jacket and his messing around to look at Jihoon. On the left, however, is a picture of perfection: one small, perfectly formed angel in the snow. Jihoon’s attempts to brush the snow out of his bangs has even made a halo around its head. The short and the tall angel have their hands linked, and Jihoon suddenly realizes his hand is still cradled within Seungcheol’s. His face flushes, as if his body wasn’t cold enough already.

“You make a beautiful angel,” says Seungcheol matter-of-factly, his face wreathed with smiles and cheeks bright with the cold and if Jihoon doesn’t get away from this naïve gorgeous flirt, he’s going to cook right there in his winter coat.

He turns away so Seungcheol can’t see the blush creeping up past his collar and replies with a curt “Let’s get back inside.” He doesn’t let go of Seungcheol’s hand as he stomps away though, and they walk back towards the company building through the falling snow, hands linked and thoughts of each other swirling through their minds like the snowflakes around them.