22..

Black Notebook

Mir's deduction mechanism started to work as he walked down the hallway, without a destination in mind. His mind was spinning with thoughts and pieces of unsolved puzzles and he tried to match them up. America? Joon? GO? Gasping as a realization hit him hard, Mir frowned deeply.

"Joon hyung is GO hyung's brother?" Mir stopped for a moment before he shook his head slightly when he noticed the contradicting fact. "Ani... Even their surname is different. Jung and Lee..."

"Jung is my mother's surname and Lee is my father's." Mir yelped and jumped away at the voice, flattening himself against the wall. When did Joon get here? Joon gave out a small smile and beckoned Mir to walk with him.

Smoothing his palm on his chest to get over the shock, Mir walked next to Joon, stealing a few glances before he spoke out again. "So... You're really GO hyung's brother?"

Joon gave a nod. "After the divorce, my mom didn't want to keep my father's name on GO hyung." His voice was heavy with emotion. Joon slowed down his steps before he halted completely. He gave Mir a look. "How did you know GO hyung? You even call him hyung. Sound like you're kind of close with him." He raised his brow inquiringly. He hadn't talk to GO for three years, there must be a few new people in his older brother's life during that period he wasn't there for GO.

Mir stopped in his step just a few seconds later than Joon. He smiled nervously. "Oh yea? I didn't notice that. I heard about him from Sanghyun."

Joon observed Mir who was fidgeting under his gaze. He couldn't really tell if Mir was lying but there was no reason for the boy to lie anyway. Shrugging, Joon continued walking but as he realized Mir didn't follow him, he stopped again and turned to face the younger.

Mir looked down before he spoke in a small almost inaudible voice. "I'm sorry about your brother."

Joon felt sharp pain on his chest as he winced at that sentence before he looked down to his own foot. "Yea. Me too." He mumbled sadly. When he looked up again, Mir was still looking down, the corner of his lips tugged downward. It kind of touched him that Mir could look so sad for him eventhough they barely knew each other. So he decided to show Mir something. Something he never show anyone else. Something he kept as secret even after returning to Korea. Or rather... Someone. "This weekend... Do you have time?"

Mir tilted his head at the random question but still nodded his head.

"Would you come with me to visit someone?"

Mir nodded once again. "I don't mind but who and where?"

"Just pack a few things. We'll spend the weekend there. You'll know when we're there."

"But, Joon-" Mir tried to ask more but Joon had already turned his back on him and walked ahead. Mir scratched the back of his head. Why did it seem that everyone love to leave him with puzzles. Argh! This is annoying.

 

💞💞💞💞💞

 

his hair while walking back to the infirmary, Mir felt like his head might really exploded. Joon was GO's brother. GO needed to know that but of course that ghost went missing again. Maybe GO felt guilty for what happened?

Mir his chin. Hmm... That was a possibility. They still hadn't know what happened. Mir slowly held both his hands out in front of his face. He still remember clearly the frosting feeling that numb his senses when GO's hand became one with his. What was that?

And then, Sanghyuk suddenly came in and said all those things about GO. Could GO really hurt him? His one and only friend right at this moment?

How Mir wish he could talk to GO right now.

Mir inhaled deeply and cleared his throat once he reached the infirmary. He opened the door and smile immediately brightened up his face as he saw both Lizzy and Nicole sleeping on the same bed, hair in mess, limbs tangled.

"Why are you standing here?" Sanghyun asked as he walked closer to Mir from the hallway.

Mir simply gave a short glance at Sanghyun before puckering his lips towards the two figures in the room and on the bed. Both of them chuckled at the sight until Mir nudged Sanghyun's ribs, urging his friend to take a picture of those two girls and use it to tease them since Lizzy was sleeping with slightly opened mouth while Nicole was sleeping with her right eye slightly open. Oh dear...

Instead of taking a picture, Sanghyun decided to record the two girls and both of Mir and Sanghyun crept up quietly to the sleeping beauties. Counting quiet numbers using the fingers, both of them shouted "FIRE!" at the same time, startling awake the two girls.

"Fire! Ack!" Nicole screamed and jumped on Mir, curling his arms around Mir's neck and legs around Mir's waist. It was fortunate that Nicole was light or else both of them would be flat on floor already.

Lizzy woke up with a start as well. But unlike Nicole, she acted on the word fire, rolling off the bed at the same time grabbing the water bottle by the bedside, opening it and sprayed half of the content on Sanghyun.

Sanghyun went silent as the water drenched his face and his hair. His mouth gaping in disbelief and soon, laughter could be heard coming from Mir's and Nicole's direction.

Lizzy smirk. "Now had the fire gone down?" She said mockingly.

"You!" Sanghyun lunged on Lizzy and snatched away the still half filled water and dumped the rest on Lizzy who screeched and glared at Sanghyun. "Your mascara!" Sanghyun pointed rudely to Lizzy's now racoon eyes due to his wet mascara and laughed heartily.

The room was chaotic due to their loud laugh added with Lizzy's annoyed screech and she chased after Sanghyun around the room. Only after a few minutes did all the hectic die down as they decided to go home. It was late already after all.

As they went past the basketball court to the front gate, Mir caught dark shadow of someone sitting on the bench there alone. Squinting his eyes, he made out the blurry shadow as the familiar outline of GO's figure. So that was where GO went off to. Even with the distance, Mir could sense the dark aura around GO. He saw the slumped shoulder of GO's.

Worried, Mir told the rest to go home first, giving excuse that he left something at the infirmary. The others believed easily and went on first. Mir made sure they left before he his heels and made his way to the dim-litted court. The spotlight wasn't bright enough.

"Hey..." Mir called out in a small voice, didn't want to disturb the silence.

GO looked up to Mir before looking away again. His expression was rigid and was so unusual on him that it made Mir restless. The floor of the court seem more interesting. He didn't even answer Mir.

Mir frowned. "Hyung? Is there something wrong?" As he spoke, he stepped closer to GO. Again, there was only silence as answer. "Hyung. Look at me." Mir pleaded. He even bent down to find GO's eyes only to have the older closing his eyes in rejections. "Hyung-" Mir put his hand on GO's shoulder but as soon as his hand touched the cold form of the spirit, GO jolted away like he had been touched by current. He floated higher and away from Mir but he didn't leave. Not when he finally looked at Mir's sad eyes. Curse him for letting his eyes met Mir's. He knew he would submit once his eyes met Mir's. "Hyung..." Mir's voice wavered. Why did GO acted like he hated Mir? Did he do anything wrong?

"It's better for you not to be too close to me." GO finally voiced out. His face was unreadable.

"Hyung. If this is because of the thing that happened this evening, then you should forget about it. I'm sure it's nothing worth to worry over." Mir spoke gently.

GO shook his head. "You don't understand."

"Then make me."

They locked eyes for what seemed a long time but just only few seconds. GO let out a heavy sigh. "I hurt you."

Mir smiled. "No you didn't. I was probably just shocked that's why I fainted." Mir tried to reason.

"You were trembling. You're freezing. A shock won't cause that." GO retorted.

"I... But it's nothing serious." Mir gave out lame excuses which he knew didn't work on GO at all and in all honesty, it didn't work for him too. He was freezing. He fainted. He felt his whole body numb of senses. It was just that... Bad.

"You don't understand, Mir." Again, he repeated his words. "It's better for us to keep away from each other."

Mir's features slowly turned fiercer as he looked to his side in annoyance. "Yah! You come down this instance. Talk clearly to me!" He scolded.

GO was kind of startled at first but slowly lowered himself to the ground. However when Mir approached him, he stepped backwards, away from the younger, keeping his distance.

Annoyed, Mir stayed in his spot, rubbing his temple as he felt pulsing headache incoming. "Now talk clearly so I can understand. I had enough of people coming and talk random things as if I can understand them and leave me in the dark! If you do that to me as well, then I... I don't know what I will do! Just don't okay. Just don't do that. At least not you." Mir nagged. Well... He could just take so much in one day.

"When that happened..." GO started after the tense in air around them disperse. "I feel warm." Mir frowned but waited patiently for GO to finish. "But in exchange to that... You become cold. I... I stole away your warmth."

Mir inhaled and approached GO. This time, GO didn't back off. He let Mir took his hand in a gentle hold. "Didn't I say before that I'll share my warmth with you whenever you want?"

GO looked up with wide horrified eyes and yanked his hand out of Mir's grasp harshly, stumbling backwards. "Don't say that! You don't know what you're saying. You didn't see yourself when you fainted. You were pale. Paler than me. And I'm supposed to be the dead one!"

"Hyung. You're overthinking."

"Ani. Mir. What I'm afraid the most is that... It wasn't enough."

"W-what?"

"What I'm afraid the most is, I think I will never stop taking away your warmth until you're just as cold as me. I'm afraid if that time come again, I will not want to pull away from you. I'm afraid I can't stop..."

A defeaning silence followed after. Mir felt his heart dropped and Sanghyuk's words rung once again in his ears."Sooner or later, his instinct will turn him against you."

Was this what Sanghyuk meant? GO... Him... But how? They were friends. Even with GO's distrust towards himself, Mir would never hesitate to put his trust on GO. As much as he didn't want to hurt GO, he hoped the other was having the same mind. But GO said he might not be able to stop... And if that happened. If that really happened, what would become of Mir?

After a long moment, GO turned around, deciding it was better for him to leave for now eventhough he knew well he would eventually come back to Mir since they were bonded anyway. Even just for a day. Maybe it was better for him to go away. He felt disgusted of himself for having that unrepressable greed to feel the living warmth he felt when his and Mir's hands became one again. He was afraid of what he would do. Of what he could do. He was afraid of himself. He hated himself for might being able to hurt the younger. But as he was leaving, Mir's small voice called for him.

"I know your brother." And that tied GO to his spot. "Don't leave. We still haven't find out about what happened to you in your past life."

"Mir-"

"Just. Just stay."