chapter four.

you can't have lightning without light

word count: 2.3k

pairings included: BAEKCHEN!! (finally) /mentions of xiubaek relating to the night before too/


 

The next morning, Baekhyun wakes up with a blistering headache. He rolls to his side with a groan as he notices a sleeping Xiumin laying next to him, and it hits him; he hooked up with one of the  elites. Baekhyun doesn’t remember much of anything, which he kind of regrets, seeing how he can’t even remember the last time he willingly bottomed for someone. He darts his eyes back at Xiumin’s sleeping body –yea, he definitely bottomed last night. Baekhyun rubs his eyes awake with another roll of his body. He manages to get up, feeling the weight of his head come down on him as he struggles to keep a steady position. Once he feels okay, he removes himself from the bed –the cool air hitting his whole body as he remembers that he’s still – and begins the search of his discarded clothes. He manages to find only his pants and boxers, but results to only wearing his boxers, seeing how tight and possibly shrunken his black jeans had become.

 

Baekhyun doesn’t know what he’s up to, but he decides to leave Xiumin to rest as he continues to go wherever this grand house decides to lead him to. He shuts the door behind him as softly as he can before turning back around towards the hallway –to which he comes face to face with Jongdae. Baekhyun can feel his own face flush as he makes eye contact with the latter even though his mind doesn’t think much about the fact that he is in front of the cousin of the guy he had just hooked up with, while wearing nothing, but a pair of boxers. Jongdae on the other hand, is wearing a pair of sweats, a white tank top with a loose and oversized sweater acting as outerwear, –which only helps distract Baekhyun with the sudden amount of exposed collarbones Jongdae has to offer– as well as a mug of coffee placed in his hand. Baekhyun notices Jongdae checking him out from top to bottom amidst his hazy vision, which makes him scoff. Jongdae’s lips break out into a smirk as he takes a sip of his coffee.

 

“Y’know, hearing my own cousin going at it for more than an hour isn’t exactly music to my ears, but I can’t really blame him,” Jongdae gestures his mug at Baekhyun as he checks him out for a second time.

 

“Thanks,” Baekhyun replies with a smug smile before his attention is diverted to the drink in Jongdae’s hand. “Is that coffee?” He asks, his words slightly slurred. Jongdae laughs at the sudden question and Baekhyun blames his hangover for wanting to hear it again.

 

“Yea. A cup of coffee seems like the proper thing to drink after a night with Xiumin,” Jongdae comments, which makes Baekhyun’s face heat up as he follows Jongdae into the kitchen downstairs.

 

Baekhyun takes a seat at one of the bar stools by the counter while Jongdae goes ahead to mess around with the coffee maker. Baekhyun rests his head on the counter as he slowly begins to remember that he hasn’t gone back to the dorms all night, which means Sehun is probably worried about him. “What time is it?”  Baekhyun mumbles into his arm. After a second without an answer, Baekhyun slowly rolls his head away from the counter and towards Jongdae, who had been looking over at him the entire time. “Well?” Baekhyun asks which makes Jongdae laugh before turning around to check the time. Baekhyun doesn’t care much about Jongdae’s small actions, but his heart thinks otherwise.

 

“It’s 9 in the morning,” Jongdae finally answers which makes Baekhyun’s eyes grow slightly wider. Jongdae lets out another small laugh and Baekhyun wants to ask why he finds every little thing to be so amusing to him. “Not used to waking up this early?” Jongdae asks and Baekhyun just closes his eyes and shakes his head against his arms.

 

“I didn’t tell my dormmate where I was going last night and he’s probably worried about me,” Baekhyun explains, his eyes fluttering open, as Jongdae begins pouring the coffee into a mug.

 

“Who’s your dormmate?” Jongdae asks. Baekhyun remembers Jongin talking about how Sehun and the elites have bad blood, but he thinks maybe now is a good time to clear things up.

 

“Oh Sehun,” Baekhyun says, closing his eyes again, so that it didn’t look like he had a biased opinion towards the younger. He hears the edge of the coffee maker clink against the mug before a small oh comes from Jongdae.

 

“Is he still a beginner this year?” Jongdae asks as he makes his way over to the seat next to Baekhyun and places the mug in front of him. Baekhyun nods his head, oblivious to the coffee sitting beside him. Jongdae taps Baekhyun’s nose once, making the older scrunch up and open his eyes only to be greeted by one of Jongdae’s signature smiles. Baekhyun closes his eyes again, afraid of the amount of damage Jongdae’s smile has already done to him this morning. Jongdae laughs. Baekhyun rolls his head back into his arms.

 

“I can see why Chanyeol likes you,” Baekhyun says, a little louder than he meant to be, as he brings his head up. Jongdae’s face softens at the comment and he tries to hide it with a sip of his coffee. Baekhyun takes notice of the burn marks against Jongdae’s neck that lead further down to his collarbones and is reminded of what Xiumin had said yesterday. Five, Baekhyun counts before taking his first sip of coffee.

 

“Can you?” Jongdae finally speaks up, his cheeks turning pink. Baekhyun nods his head, putting his cup back down on the counter. “I never thought about that,” Jongdae says and Baekhyun notices the change in mood around them. “Why I like Chanyeol..” Jongdae turns to face the living room across from them, Baekhyun following in suit, and looks over at Chanyeol sleeping on the couch. Jongdae giggles at the way Chanyeol has his limbs spread out on the small couch. Baekhyun quickly takes another drink of coffee, his insides feeling weirder than normal, before he feels the cool air hit his bare body, making him shiver. Jongdae takes notice of it as he turns back around and offers his sweater to Baekhyun, who gladly takes it from him –the embarrassment and coldness coming to a stop after he puts it on. Jongdae is more exposed this way, Baekhyun notices as he begins to study Jongdae’s burn marks once more. They’re not huge marks, but the reddish tint they have to them make it more noticeable.

 

“Do they hurt?” Baekhyun starts to think aloud. “Your burn marks,” He clarifies before bringing his eyes up to meet with Jongdae’s. The younger takes a look across his collarbones and shakes his head.

 

“No,” He answers. “I’m kind of used to it by now. Seeing them and feeling them; I can barely even sense the burn when he does it.” Jongdae continues to explain. Baekhyun can hear the uncomfortableness in his tone, but he brushes it off with another sip of his coffee. “Xiumin doesn’t hook up with just anyone, y’know.” Jongdae suddenly changes the subject, catching Baekhyun off guard. “You must have quite the power, especially for a beginner,” He continues. Are powers just a way of proving how good you are at around here? Baekhyun wonders. This school is a lot different than what Baekhyun expected, or maybe it isn’t. Classes haven’t begun yet, so Baekhyun shouldn’t let his thoughts get ahead of him.

 

“He did most of the work,” Baekhyun says, remembering the way he would flinch each time Xiumin grazed his finger against his skin. “It’s not like my power could do much to him anyway,” He looks down at his palms. Baekhyun has always been insecure about his power. He would doubt his abilities every time he compared it to powers like water or fire. Light didn’t do much, but turn the lights on and off, at least that’s how Baekhyun always saw it.

 

”Why is that?” Jongdae asks and Baekhyun results to just showing him why. Baekhyun’s power is considered a half mind, half spell power. Meaning that he’s able to use hands free spells as well as normal spells at an early stage. Baekhyun decides to go easy on Jongdae; he flicks his wrist up and then down in one quick motion, making the lights turn off in the kitchen. He kicks it up a notch and snaps his fingers together, which makes the light bulbs burn out and begin to flicker on and off. Jongdae sits there in amusement, looking up at each of the lights located in the small kitchen with his mouth hanging open. Baekhyun then goes for one of the hands free spells. He takes a quick sip of his coffee and focuses on the lights as well as a specific color. After a second or two, all the lights begin working again, but are set to the color green.

 

“It isn’t much,” Baekhyun says, bringing his hands back down to his lap. Presenting beginner skills to an elite made Baekhyun more nervous than usual, so mistakes were made. Usually he’d put on a literal light show for anyone who asked, but for an elite like Jongdae, he kept it to a minimum. Jongdae starts clapping which makes Baekhyun shoot his head back up with a look of confusion. Did he actually like it?

 

“Light,” Jongdae says to himself, the green light making him look less attractive to Baekhyun. He changes the color again, this time making it blue. Jongdae looks around once more before locking eyes with Baekhyun again.

 

“Green is an unflattering color,” Baekhyun simply explains. The blue gave Jongdae more contour around his facial features, allowing for Baekhyun to study the curves of his cheeks and sharp definition of his jaw.

 

“You could set the mood with this kind of power,” Jongdae comments, making Baekhyun laugh. The dark brown of Jongdae’s eyes deepen in color with the shades of blue around it –Baekhyun takes note of it. “So it’s not entirely useless,” Jongdae tries to think on the positive side of things. Baekhyun watches how the shadows around Jongdae’s lips curve up, making them look fuller and smoother than normal. “Can you change the lighting to a dark purple?” Jongdae asks, startling Baekhyun as he diverts his eyesight from the younger’s lips to his eyes. “I want to test something,” He clarifies and Baekhyun just nods before changing the lights to a bright purple, then uses his hand to adjust the dimness. He can barely see Jongdae in this lighting, his silhouette outlined by a violet purple. “Sorry if this hurts,” Jongdae says amidst the darkness. Before Baekhyun can respond, he feels Jongdae’s arm attach itself to the back of his neck before a pair of lips connect with his. Baekhyun’s body stiffens at the action, but the shock of lightning that leaves Jongdae’s body and transfers over to him has him dizzy with power. Jongdae backs away, streaks of lightning still coming from his body and connecting to Baekhyun’s. Baekhyun on the other hand, is glowing. Instead of violet purple, a light shade of silver outlined with purple streaks surrounds Baekhyun. “Amazing,” Jongdae whispers. Baekhyun’s vision grows blurry, the bright light surrounding him making his head throb as the sparks of lightning begin to sting just a little too much. Baekhyun has no choice, but to perform a blackout for it to stop.

 

“Baekhyun are you okay?!” Jongdae jumps up from his seat, realizing now that the combination of light and lightning might have been too powerful for Baekhyun to handle. Jongdae holds on to Baekhyun by his waist, the older starting to lose his balance. Performing a blackout is harder when you’re so full of energy Baekhyun regrets ever falling for Jongdae’s harmless smile. Jongdae turns Baekhyun’s head around to face his once more before he leans down and kisses him for a second time, this time a little longer, allowing for the lightning stored up in Baekhyun’s body to transfer back over to his. “You’re gonna have to kiss me back if you want all of this power out of your body, Baekhyun,” Jongdae says before attaching himself to Baekhyun’s lips once more. Baekhyun complies to Jongdae’s comment and brings his hands up to the younger’s face and deepening the kiss. The two soon begin to get a bit carried away. Jongdae’s hold on Baekhyun’s waist tightens as he pulls the latter closer to him while Baekhyun wraps his arms around Jongdae’s neck. Baekhyun’s pretty sure all of the lightning is out of his body, but he doesn’t have the desire to pull away just yet. His insides are still going wild as he begins to fumble around with his sleeve. “Don’t do it,” Jongdae suddenly pulls away and whispers to Baekhyun. “You’re gonna pass out either way. Don't waste the spell.” Jongdae continues to kiss Baekhyun, the younger beginning to forget about his plan..

 

“There’s gonna be a blackout, either way too,” Baekhyun pulls away this time, their lips still centimeters away from each other. “If I do it this way, it won’t be as bad,” He explains. Jongdae brings his hand up to where Baekhyun’s hand is around his neck and takes it in his before turning the older around and pushing him up against the wall.


“Just shut up and kiss me,” Jongdae says, annoyed at Baekhyun’s protests. Baekhyun doesn’t think twice about it as he picks up from where they left off. After a minute or so, Baekhyun pushes Jongdae away from him, a little harsher than he wanted to, and falls to the ground, the lights in the kitchen, as well as the lights on their entire half of the campus, going out with him.