chapter one.

you can't have lightning without light

word count: 1.9k

pairings included: sekai/sebaek


 

"So, how exactly is this school run?" Baekhyun asks his tour guide, Xiumin, as he struggles to hold his schedule out in front of him along with the stack of books in his arms. It's Baekhyun's first day at EXO Academy of Supernatural Powers, or EASP for short, and he's just getting used to the grand school.

It wasn't too long ago when Baekhyun found out that he was special compared to the other kids. Light had always fascinated him as a kid, or so he was told from stories that his mom and dad used to tell him before they passed away, and as he grew older he learned that he possessed the power of light. His parents were aware of Baekhyun's powers even before he could walk and had also been born with their very own supernatural powers. They had both attended EASP and fell in love with each other in their last year, which is why Baekhyun had chosen to go there rather than a more prestigious and known school. Baekhyun's power wasn't much to begin with compared to the many other powers that he's read so much about in books –to which he brought along with him–, but this school was his only hope of being able to strengthen and put use to his mere power of light.

"The school is split up into three levels. What level you're placed in is based on your skill." Xiumin briefly explains with no plans on slowing down the speed at which he is walking. "The three levels are–"

"Beginner, Advanced, and Elite," Baekhyun answers, a little too eager to be starting his new life at EASP. Baekhyun has been wanting to attend this academy for as long as he was first introduced to the place. Growing up, he wasn't allowed to use his powers in front of anyone and would often play around with the lamps and lights in his home when no one was looking. The freedom of being at a place where everyone has similar abilities as himself and being able to use them freely –with a few restrictions, of course– was what Baekhyun had been dreaming of for the majority of his life. And now he is living that dream.

"Right." Xiumin responds, disregarding the fact that Baekhyun had known so much as he glanced at the doors they passed by in search of Baekhyun's assigned dorm. "Your skill levels are based on the five departments. Do you know what those are?"

"Traits that students are to excel in; behaviour, intelligence, strength, ability, and uhm.." Baekhyun answers, but it's always the last one that he forgets.

"Passion," Xiumin comes to a sharp halt. Baekhyun nearly bumps into him as he looks up from his stack of books and at the older. Xiumin studies the smaller with sharp eyes, Baekhyun feeling a bit uncomfortable, before he diverts his attention back to the room in front of them. "This is your dorm!" Xiumin's voice changes its tone, sounding more cheery. "Your roommate should be another beginner," Xiumin's statement turns into a short hum as he looks through the folders beside the room number at which Baekhyun reads as 18. "Oh Sehun?" Xiumin reacts as if he's never heard the name before. "Well, that's that. If you need anything come see me or any of the school's staff in the main hall." Xiumin hangs a key over Baekhyun's stack of books before putting it in the latter's left hand. "Good luck!" He finishes it off with a wink and, before Baekhyun could respond, starts skipping down the corridor.

Baekhyun takes a deep breath, mindful to the heavy books in his hands, as he faces the big door in front of him. He always struggled as a kid to make friends since he, and many others soon finding out, knew that he wasn't normal. Baekhyun never learned how to properly make friends growing up which left him as an outcast. He would always stay indoors, even when his aunt would ask if he wanted to go out to the park or to get ice cream. The outside world was indifferent to Baekhyun. It wasn't as free as he thought and it wasn't his world. But now, standing in the halls of an academy for supernatural powers, he already feels at home, like he belongs. The only obstacle now –as well as before– is making friends and not embarrassing himself in the midst of it.

Baekhyun turns the doorknob slowly, figuring that it'd be open, and enters the room before him. It's not too small and not too big, it's just right, Baekhyun thinks as he smiles to himself. There are two beds with matching side tables placed across from each other along with two study desks and drawers lining the rest of the wall. There's a single window that let's in a fair amount of light as well as a bathroom for him to share with his roommate. The first thing Baekhyun does when he enters the room completely is drop his books onto the floor with a thud.

"Holy !" Baekhyun hears from across the room as he closes the door. "Was I supposed to bring that many books too?" The guy, who Baekhyun supposes is Sehun, asks, dumbfounded by the plethora of books that Baekhyun had brought. His roommate is extremely tall, Baekhyun's 173 cm short self thinks, and is also very skinny –he's like a noodle. The way he had jumped from his seat and walked over to Baekhyun, stumbling upon scattered items around the room, was awkward and lanky –exactly like a noodle.

"Most of these are personal books that I brought from home," Baekhyun responds and Sehun ahh's in understanding. "I'm new here; Byun Baekhyun." He introduces himself and sticks his hand out for the other to shake. Sehun stares at him for a bit before breaking into a big smile and wrapping his arms around Baekhyun in a tight hug. Baekhyun feels at least three of his bones crack from the sudden hug as he struggles to wrap his arms around the other in a polite manner. Sehun lets go, his hands still tightly holding onto Baekhyun's shoulders, as he looks at him with delight.

"One whole year without a roommate," Sehun says shaking his head. "And now, in my second year at this academy," He brings up one of his hands and gestures in a "would you look at the stars" kind of way. "I finally have you!" He sounds as if he were squealing as he pulls his hand back down and into a fist, covering his wide smile, with twinkling eyes. "You're just my size, too!" He adds before encasing Baekhyun in another tight hug, his head nuzzling the older's.

Baekhyun wonders if this is what it's like to have friends. To have someone who genuinely wants you around, no matter how boring you may be. To have someone who can make you smile even when there's nothing to smile about. To simply have someone in his life.

"I must warn you, though," Sehun removes himself from Baekhyun, a slight blush and small smile unconsciously coming from the older. "Since I had no roommate last year, I actually went out and made friends for myself, one of them happening to be my best friend." Sehun begins and walks across the room to sit at his bed. Baekhyun stays standing, a little lost as to how this could be a threat to him. "Anyway, long story short, he comes over unannounced and without knocking so if he ever pops in while I'm out, don't worry. He might stay even when I'm not here and he hates awkward silences, so –you know what?" Sehun stops mid sentence, suddenly coming up with an idea in his head. "We should all go out tonight, yea!" He gets up from his bed, another gesture to the air and bright smile. "Since you're new, I should help you meet some people and make friends! I mean we're all second years, but we're still beginners –wait, no Jongin is in advanced already, hm," Sehun begins rambling and Baekhyun figures it's something he does often and should get used to it. "Nonetheless, we should go. It'll be fun!" Sehun begs and Baekhyun is quite surprised at how Sehun already has his hands interlocked with his, even when he was at his bedside no less than a moment ago.

"I don't mind," Baekhyun simply answers, Sehun tightening his grip on Baekhyun's hands and jumping up and down like a five-year old. Sehun talks a lot, Baekhyun notes. Baekhyun is the opposite, unless it's something he's passionate about, keeping his thoughts and concerns to himself. It doesn't help him move forward in his life as many other tactics would, but he'd rather not bother anyone with his words. Sehun is clearly younger as well, maybe not physically, but definitely personality wise. He is energetic, outgoing, and easily excitable, traits Baekhyun keeps inside and doesn't let just anyone see them play out.

"Great! Now I just have to tell everyone about it–" There's a sudden knock at the door which catches Sehun off guard. He finally let's go of Baekhyun's hands and heads towards the door. Just as he's about to turn the doorknob, a guy who is just a bit shorter than Sehun pops up behind him as if he teleported there. Baekhyun is taken aback by the sudden visitor –probably the 'best friend' Sehun had been talking about earlier– and backs up into the edge of his bed, holding tightly onto the frame. Sehun seems to notice even before he turns the knob all the way and stops before turning around and facing the guest with an annoyed look.

"Stop tricking me into opening the door when you can just pop right in whenever you want!" Sehun whines as he folds his arms across his chest and pouts cutely with his eyebrows furrowed. The male opposite of him just smiles, his eyes curving up slightly, causing creases to form at the corners, and spreads his arms out with a nod of his head and a wiggle of his fingers, inviting him in for a hug. Sehun rolls his eyes at the other's actions before bringing his arms down and sluggishly walking into the male's open arms with a snuggle to the crook of his neck. Baekhyun, on the other hand, feels uncomfortable as he witnesses the "more than friendly" relationship between Sehun and his 'best friend' going on in front of him.

"I hate you," Sehun mumbles into the shirt of which his face is nestled in. Baekhyun watches as Sehun's body jumps a bit before he shoves the shorter male away from him. The guy falls to the ground with a groan at Sehun's push which looked powerful enough to knock the wind out of him. "Baekhyun!" Sehun suddenly blurts out, darting his head toward said male. "I-I, uhm," Sehun begins to stutter, his face completely flushed. He picks up the brunette boy from the ground and nervously smiles. "This is Jongin –the friend who pops in from time to time that I was talking about earlier," Sehun's voice is uneven as he tries to recover from the sudden embarrassment. "Jongin, this is Baekhyun." He gestures his hand at Jongin's chest and then at Baekhyun's. Baekhyun gives Jongin a short wave, the clear look of annoyance, directed at Sehun, on Jongin's face makes Baekhyun think twice about holding his hand out for him to shake it. Afterwards, however, Jongin's eyesight lands on Baekhyun, his face softening up as he gives him a warm smile and wave, in hopes of not leaving a bad first impression.

"Now, about tonight's plans,"