chapter two.

you can't have lightning without light

word count: 2k

pairings mentioned: chansoo/chenyeol


 

That night, Sehun brings Baekhyun to a nearby bar –"It's the top hangout place around here," Baekhyun quotes Sehun from earlier. He isn't expecting much, however. If they're going to an actual bar, all Baekhyun could hope for is to not get wasted and pass out in the midst of it all. They end up being the last two to make it there, despite Sehun being the one to make the plans in the first place. There are only two other people who Baekhyun isn't used to besides Jongin to which he's glad about. Fewer people, meant less talking and socializing, Baekhyun thinks. They all find a table by the window and Sehun orders a couple, less alcoholic, drinks to start off with as well as a couple of appetizers. It's then when Sehun decides to introduce everyone else to Baekhyun.

"You know Jongin already, no?" Sehun begins, pointing across from him at Jongin, who sends another wave and warm smile towards Baekhyun. Baekhyun simply nods, well aware of the events involving Jongin from earlier. "He's in the advanced level; aged 19, power of teleportation, one of the best in his class." Sehun boasts for Jongin at which the latter blushes and protests at.

"I'm not the best!" He argues and Sehun playfully sticks his tongue out, disregarding him and his protests.

"He uses that damn power of his to go just about anywhere," Sehun leans over and whispers to Baekhyun. "Doesn't even get away with it," Sehun sits back up. "If not the best, then clearly the professor's favorite," He declares, a mischievous look on his face. Jongin jumps up from his seat, but stops himself before things got too carried away. Sehun brings his hands up in a "whatever you say" kind of manner, though deep down, he stays by his statements.

"This, small, but angry-looking guy, is Kyungsoo," Sehun introduces the next person who is seated next to Jongin. Baekhyun waves at Kyungsoo, the latter doing the same. "He's in the beginners level along with us –you'll probably catch him around campus with a sketch book, drawing whatever and whoever interests him." Sehun adds, which makes Kyungsoo sheepishly smile down at his lap. Sehun leans over once more. "Clearly, ashamed of how great he is at drawing," He whispers before cocking an eyebrow back up at Kyungsoo. "As well as his power, strength! Aged at only a mere 20 and he's already beaten the three of us out of anger. I suggest you don't get on his bad side, unless you want to be the fourth." Sehun flashes a smile at Baekhyun.

"Last and, yes, least," Sehun snickers. "We have Junmyeon, our lovely mother," He gives Junmyeon a dear smile. Junmyeon is the one to initiate a handshake between him and Baekhyun, to which the latter is taken a bit off guard to as he manages to give Junmyeon a sweet smile amidst their awkward leans across the table. "Another one in the advanced level," Sehun gives the smaller man the credit. "He's basically the leading man before Jongin," Sehun whispers to Baekhyun once more. "The man means business when it comes to his university ways," He smirks before his attention is diverted to the food and drinks they had ordered arriving. Sehun takes it upon himself to set out the food before continuing on with Junmyeon's introduction. "Anyway, Junmyeon," He begins again as he stuffs his face with nachos. "23 years old, the oldest of us all, and holds the power of water." He quickly finishes with a final crunch to his nachos.

"Why don't you introduce yourself, Baekhyun?" Kyungsoo chimes in before taking a sip of his beer. Baekhyun stops mid crunch at the offer before dusting his hands of the nacho's excess and swallowing whatever pieces he had left in his mouth.

"I'm a first year, –beginner, obviously– aged 21, and have the power of light," Baekhyun starts off, hearing ooh's at the mention of his power. Junmyeon, specifically, edges closer to Baekhyun.

"Isn't light a rare power?" Junmyeon asks to no one in particular, though his view is only directed at Baekhyun. Baekhyun doesn't think much of it as he takes a sip of his own drink.

"Is it?" He asks after putting his glass down, his eyebrows furrowing at the burning alcohol streaming down his throat.

"Isn't the ratio like 2 every 10 persons or something like that?" Jongin joins in on the conversation. Of course, the two people who are placed in advanced would know. The books they study are far more detailed than the ones Baekhyun has ever read. Still, Baekhyun doesn't think much of it.

"That's not too bad," Baekhyun says, reaching over to grab a chicken leg from Jongin's side of the table –unaware of the stares of disbelief he's getting. It's when he takes a bite into the fried goodness when he notices. "What?"

"There's only 10 students in this whole university that posses the power of wind and our ratio is 5 every 10 persons." Sehun clarifies in a way for Baekhyun to get the picture. Baekhyun's chewing grows slower as he processes the information in his head.

"You might just be the only one with the power of light in this academy," Kyungsoo adds as Baekhyun takes another bite, but then stops in awe at the whole situation.

"I can't possibly be the only one with the power of light!" Baekhyun tries to defend himself before he continues eating.

"Looks like we weren't the only ones who planned on going out before classes started either," Jongin manages to change the subject as he watches another group of students walk into the bar and towards a table farther across –but still in full view– from them. All five of them turn their heads to see the small group of three across from them before four out of the five of them turn back with a scoff.

"Who are they?" Baekhyun asks, finally finishing his chicken leg and gesturing it at the group. Baekhyun glances back over at them, one of the three looking oddly familiar to him, before his curious eyes land upon his own group, who seem too occupied to even bother.

"They're the elites," Jongin is the only one who speaks up, a chicken leg now placed in his hand. "Of course, elite is its own level of many students, but those three are the elites of the elites." Jongin says, already halfway done with his chicken.

"The best of the best," Kyungsoo adds.

"The top of the academy," Junmyeon, specifically, adds.

"Call it what you will," Sehun finally speaks up. "Either way, they're all a bunch of snobby s who think they're better than everyone," He grumbles and Jongin –who has already devoured the chicken leg– rubs the sides of Sehun's arms in a way of comfort.

"They picked on Sehun the most last year," Jongin clarifies. "Sehun isn't the brightest of students–" Sehun kicks Jongin from under the table, but Jongin refrains from acknowledging it as he continues. "And the elites don't take people who "don't care" or "slack off" on university work lightly,"

"They're not called elites for nothing, you know," Sehun speaks up again. "That bunch in particular –all three of them getting up there in less than three years, and have stayed there since– are elitists to put simply," He ends with a glare to the opposing group.

"Who are they, exactly?" Baekhyun questions once more for specifics. The rest of them look at each other in hopes of one of them having a less negative perspective on the elites to explain each of them to Baekhyun. Sehun and Jongin both glance over at Junmyeon while Kyungsoo is busying himself with the remaining nachos.

"Mother knows best," Sehun singsongs which makes Jungyeon roll his eyes. Junmyeon knew everything about everything when it came to the academy, even if he wasn't an elite. He was part of the helping staff in the main hall which is where he gets all the information. The only thing that's actually stopping him from becoming an elite is his department ranking in strength –he's on top of every other department ranking chart, but that one.

"Xiumin, Jongdae, and Chanyeol," Junmyeon begins and Baekhyun remembers one of the names very clearly.

"Xiumin?" Baekhyun interrupts. "He was my tour guide earlier. I didn't know he was an elite." He says and the others look at him with a shock. 

"Xiumin, a tour guide?" Sehun scoffs in disbelief.

"Well, yea, he was the one who took me to my dorm," Baekhyun acts calmly about the whole situation. Xiumin seemed like a nice guy from what Baekhyun had seen, a little rushed, but nice.

"Xiumin works as a helping staff in the main hall like me," Junmyeon adds. "Though, I don't remember him volunteering to do any tour guide work. He usually just sits there sorting out papers and such." He explains. "It's not like you'd be able to tell he's an elite at first glance, either. He's nicer than the other two, but that's only because he wants you to think that. Deep down he's a sly fox with that devious, yet sweet, smile of his." Junmyeon sounds as if the only thing he likes about Xiumin is his smile. It's a nice smile, Baekhyun thinks as he remembers when Xiumin had smiled down to him before giving him the key to his dorm. But, if Xiumin is as sly as Junmyeon says he is, maybe Baekhyun shouldn't get too close to him –not that they were close to begin with.

"What about his powers?" Baekhyun questions on, taking a sip of his beer. Going to this academy is a lot more complicated –and interesting– than Baekhyun thought. It's almost like high school all over again, except with powers and weird potions that you have to drink before you step in.

"Xiumin?" Junmyeon asks for clarification; Baekhyun nods his head. "He holds the power of frost. Ratio: 7 every 10 persons, so it's not that rare, but it's definitely one of the harder ones to control. All three of them have that in common, their power isn't rare, but the ability to control that power is beyond what our powers are like, hence why everyone was so impressed when they got up to the elite level in less than three years and named them 'the elites'."

"They got up there together?" Baekhyun interrupts with another question. He glances over at them, they all seem like best friends. It must be nice to attend the academy along with close friends, Baekhyun thinks.

"All three of them knew each other even before they came here." Kyungsoo decides to join in on the conversation, the nacho plate completely empty. "Jongdae and Xiumin are cousins–"

"And Chanyeol and Jongdae are dating each other," Sehun adds with a smirk directed at Kyungsoo. The latter sends a sharp glare at Sehun, which makes the younger back away in fear.

"Kyungsoo has a crush on Chanyeol," Jongin chimes in with a snicker. It probably wasn't the best choice for him to do, considering he was seated next to Kyungsoo. The older stands up from his seat at the statement and "accidentally" slams his fist on the table, smashing the ceramic plate in front of him.

"You've done it now, Jongin," Sehun spits at Jongin who is busy cowering under Kyungsoo to care. Before things got too heated, a staff from the bar comes over to the table and asks them to leave –as well as pay for their cheap plate and now dented table. The majority of them attack Kyungsoo on paying for it. Baekhyun simply watches the show go down as, the once tough and strong, Kyungsoo turns to the manager with apologetic eyes and gives him the money.

"Nice going, Jongin." Sehun complains once more to him as they leave the cramped bar. They begin walking on the cold sidewalk along the small campus of EASP, all four of them seeming to forget about Kyungsoo as he is busy saying repeated sorry's to the managers and signing various papers in the bar.

"What?!" Jongin laughs at the sudden blame game Sehun is playing. "It's not my fault Kyungsoo has a short temper that goes in hand with his power!" Jongin defends himself just in time for Kyungsoo to come back running down the sidewalk. He manages to kick both Jongin and Sehun in the back of their knees, making them fall to the ground at the sharp tingling feeling.