Occupied Minds

Heritage

• THREE •

November 9th

The weekend spent with his parents passed largely in a blur of hugs, fur, food, and somewhat awkward silences to put it simply. A welcome change of pace from the previous weekend just gone, while he retained the title of being able to out drink anyone that didn't mean he didn't still suffer for it the next day. But seeing them would always be wonderful, the dogs too, and there was no way he could hold a candle to his mum's cooking just yet so visiting home was just just like this triple bonus of Xiumin's favourite things. The visit had helped whatever tension he'd been carrying around just fell away, he'd had a few deadlines that week and had just generally fallen behind on his notes but all that melted away the moment he melted back into his childhood bed. But it seemed that while his worries were falling away that wasn't the case for everyone, some old wounds didn't want to stay buried anymore apparently.

It was nothing they hadn't done a million times before, just sat in the front room with some game-show rerun on chatting away to drown out the exaggerated voice of the host but this time good old dad perked up and joined in. "You know I've got faith in you boy, you'll end up doing something big I know it, but how're you gonna keep yourself afloat working as a barista?"

Parents always had the best way of phrasing those most delightful questions. Therefore when Xiumin gave only a baffled face in response before turning to his mother who had a similar weird look of confusion come fear on her face his father only got more riled. So much like you would with a child he spoke very calmly and slowly to explain how the inheritance money from his biological parents did that, and how both of them were there when he turned eighteen and could first access it. Then came the er punch, which was just so confusing in itself, and looking back on it now what his mother later told him made Xiumin feel incredibly guilty about his anger. But in that moment he'd never quite felt rage like it.

The silence was strange and unpleasant as Xiumin remained perfectly still, spine like a chord of metal as nerves plucked through him because his father reminded him so much of a caged animal in that moment. One that had been backed in and had nothing to lose, like something had snapped deep inside. This dark look passed over his father's face and those brown iris' looked as if they flooded with silver for just a split second while that blank stare seemingly transported the man to an entirely different time. The wooden living room floor suddenly felt like ice even beneath his sock clad feet and the foam in the sofa cushion sounded like crunching snow as he shifted uncomfortably.

He'd never seen his mother look so tense, hands shaking in her lap and eyes darting about in tempo with the rising pressure filling the room until he was worried it was some kind of panic attack. Then his own part played in the crescendo as he called out in worry but she never took her eyes of her husband. The moment that sound filled the room it began; much like thin ice everything seemed to shatter.

"My god. The account, the account yes god yes, we were- we were there when you opened it, we were there! You're right, no of course you're right. Sometimes I just forget that- I forget that you're not a normal kid Xiumin, I forget where and who you come- like really came from. God Seoyeon we've been here too long, we've gotten old wasting our lives away my love, look at him, he's an adult now and the ki- his parents are dead, the ones who- who- they aren't coming back to get him, you know this, please I just want to go home one last time." As soon as the man had finished speaking, in that horrid nonchalant tone too, his face turned the palest shade of white Xiumin had ever seen.

Xiumin couldn't remember exactly what he said, but it was absolutely foul. And it was deserved at that moment in time. As his father spoke a flurry of emotions attacked his core, first and foremost being anger. Not a normal kid? What on ing earth was he then? Being adopted didn't make him different from anyone else, at the root of it he still had a mother and a father and a relatively normal upbringing, no hidden trauma lurking somewhere of an abusive biological mother or something like that.

Being realistic Xiumin knew he wasn't exactly fitting perfectly into society's little boxes, being an adopted gay Asian male that spent most his childhood home schooled until high school began it didn't really qualify him as fitting the mold but that didn't make him abnormal in the same breath. But before he even had time to linger on what that little jibe really meant betrayal quickly devoured that anger and turned it far uglier. Adopted children came from a place, an orphanage, Xiumin came from an orphanage, if anyone asked he would say the typical blurb of 'Yes I am adopted, I came from somewhere called Bethal's Home for Children up pretty far north'.

Adopted children didn't come from a person directly, and for his entire life -not that Xiumin had actually wanted to ask many questions when he was inevitably told as a teenager- he had fully believed his adoptive parents when they would cast their eyes down in a mixture of sadness and shame and say that though they had tried desperately they could never find anything on his real parents.

Who you came from, is what Daewoo had said, followed by an implication of an alleged shared knowledge that his biological parents were indisputably dead? It all just became too much. It was a massacre, tears streamed down Xiumin's face as he bellowed out curses towards his father, even his mother for now allegedly being involved and between the screaming, the barking, and the crying sounding from his mother he couldn't take it anymore. And he left, tearing off into the night down the street and through the trees. Lungs burning so badly as he heaved in cold air that it was only rivaled by the stinging in his eyes and the ache in his soul.

*

There was a sort of heap on the elevated porch to their home when he returned much later that evening, and upon closer inspection it was his mother amidst the dogs. It was a sneaky but smart move, Xiumin was far less likely to raise his voice at his mother and even less likely with the dogs right there. But he never got the opportunity to because his mother just spoke, softly, and didn't stop for several minutes.

He forgets things, is what she said.

Dementia is silent, and only over the beginning, is what that little voice in Xiumin's head says.

His mood just changes in seconds, and he snaps, it's like he forgets we've been married all these years and he just goes on and on about how we must have wasted our lives away, she warbled, voice thick with tears.

You should never have left her alone, his heart whispers, what if he really snapped and he hurts her? You know he could do it, it continued.

It's never been something as big as this before, its just been him losing the keys or being convinced I'd moved things or that I'd taken them away from him, little things like that. I never thought it was that serious!, she pleads with him, eyes almost searching for forgiveness and Xiumin doesn't understand until suddenly he does and his arms are holding her in the tightest hug for as long as she'll let him.

She blames herself, he knows in his heart of hearts, of course she would.

"We'll get through this, we'll get him help, it's early days yet." He says.

*

November 14th

The appointment had been set up after the two of them had had the displeasure of forcing that still wonderful man to sit down and listen, and in turn they'd had to listen as every excuse was thrown their way in denial. It took hours before an agreement of sorts had been met; Dad still didn't even think it was that bad but he would go to the appointment for them. Therefore all that was left to do was wait as time trickled on ever so slowly, the days passing in a never ending cycle of classes, workouts, and shifts at the cafe. It had been progressively driving Xiumin insane as he stared up at that foreign feeling white ceiling yet again with nothing to do and nothing to think about apart from his father. He was still texting Chen back and forth albeit with hours between each reply but he still tried to reach out to the other for some brief escape. However the cogs finally turned as to what day it was, spurring a flailing mass of limbs that tripped over scattered books and shoes to jump into motion and lunge for the phone on the kitchen counter.

That little text he'd been too distracted to answer was still sitting there in his notifications, 'I'll pick you up at seven yeah?x' Chen had typed, the little kiss on the end being a recent addition to their texting but a welcome one at the very least. But the clock reading five fifty-six was decidedly not so welcome. He'd been so distracted all week - and justifiably so- that Xiumin had completely forgotten that the date would physically be happening, and not just something to daydream about. God all this time had been spent so blissfully unaware.

Then for whatever reason, instead of asking Chen where exactly they were going and what he should wear as after some deliberation and protest on Xiumin's part the two had decided to go to a somewhat fancy sounding restaurant (with the bribe of being no kids allowed) that Chen thought he'd love, the panicking male proceeded to flit about the apartment doing a million different things at once. He was clearing the dishes off the drying rack, straightening up the cushions and books on the coffee table, hell even tidying his bedroom.

On every level apart from the one controlling his hands as he sprayed air-freshener in the bathroom he knew Chen was not going to come over, or come up for coffee, or come in just to talk for a little longer after their dinner as there was no doubt what that would lead to. And what unnerved Xiumin the most with a sick feeling bubbling happiness was how unopposed he was to that fact. But that did not mean that tonight should be 'the' night, absolutely not.

The couch cushion that had been picked up along the rapidly deteriorating train of thought was now fluffed into absolute oblivion so Xiumin returned it to its place and it up. Hitting send to Chen with some ty excuse of why he didn't reply and how he'd explain more on the date itself provided Chen told Xiumin where to meet him and what to wear.

To: Chen, [SENT: 6:12PM]

hey im reaaally sorry for taking so long to reply, i know its sort of been day after day of it at this point and i totally blanked you on sunday too but i promise i'll explain everything when i see you tonight at seven? please? i swear im not trying to just shrug you off, i really want go on this date with you, so please?

From: Chen, [RECIEVED: 6:18PM]

We already had a rocky enough start to all this and after spending that whole day with you I trust that you're somewhat serious Xiumin, getting my hopes up a second time would be a seriously cruel thing to do. Even for someone as mean as you, but I'm gonna need one damn good explanation. Meet me in front of your apartment building, or a road nearby if you'd rather, and yes still at seven, even with your late reply I should still have enough time to get ready, natural beauty does most of the work for me really. Oh, FYI, it's not casual wear tonight so get fancy, ish.

And with that Xiumin was a flurry of movement once more, easily navigating the now much more organised and adult looking apartment what with all the takeout boxes and dishes cleaned away among other things, yet it was a question of how long it'd stay that tidy considering there was about 40 minutes until he needed to be downstairs. Showering would only take maybe ten minutes max as it was impossible to be under that apparently permanently frosty water for much longer than that, although considering the length of his weird looking creepy moustache shaving would be top priority so make that a five minute shower. There would not be a single black prickly hair left on his face once he was through.

Now rubbing the dark strands dry with a towel he wandered back into his bedroom, bearing in mind to avoid the small puddles of water that had fallen during the short distance between his en-suite shower and actual bathroom. Xiumin then tossed the towel onto the brushed cotton sheets of his bed before dropping down onto the plush surface himself. Clothes were next, not forgetting deodorant and aftershave too of course, but how on earth do you dress for fancy ish? Just how ish was the 'ish'? Was it going to be more like casual but just no t-shirts and no hoodies, or fancy causal so no jeans and no trainers? If the dress code was that serious though it was likely that Chen would have said something, or so he hoped. All Xiumin wanted to do was to fall back and sink into the thick duvet and whine, but after all this flailing around there was only about twenty minutes left until he would be meeting Chen.

There was no doubt it'd probably be a near all black combo, most likely some black cigarette pants and again black high top converse, because they were comfy but not quite so obviously a trainer so it was vaguely sticking with the ish part. But the real question was whether or not to risk a button down and end up looking a total overdressed idiot. Although it was probably best to be overdressed than under dressed, besides his trainers in disguise would already dress down the outfit by quite a bit. After pacing in front of the mirror for another few minutes and after inevitably getting distracted by the fragmentation of his reflection as he walked past the wardrobe doors in the end it was decided that he'd risk the button down but go for a plain, relatively unbranded one.

So that left him with black or a colour somewhere between forest green and true emeralds, it wasn't a common colour which is why Xiumin loved it dearly and was exactly why he found pale fingers reaching out towards it. Gliding along all the other hoodies, jumpers, and dress shirts that he had hanging up in a bored manner until flesh met worn and soft silk blend. It looked just as good on as he remembered it, so with a quick glance towards the clock there were mere moments before he really ought to start heading down and locking up, which meant he actually had about fifteen minutes left.

After locating the rarely used little pot buried in a bedside table drawer Xiumin quickly scooped out a small amount of the product before running it through the slightly damp brown-come-black hair in front of the bathroom mirror until that 'just right' messy kind of look was sort of happening. Or at least he hoped it was before he very quickly blow dried it. Now all that was left was cologne and ring, both of which were thankfully much easier to find and slip on. It was just a plain silver band that he always wore on the middle finger of his left hand, it had some kind of inscription written on the inside but he'd never learnt what it meant, it was just in 'that' box that he'd been found with as a baby apparently. It didn't hold any sentimental value, just felt right wearing the boring old thing, odd as it was that it fit him perfectly.

*

Chen was already there and waiting after Xiumin had habitually double checked all his locks and made sure that a worn leather wallet was tucked securely in the left pocket of his coat while his phone sat in the front right of the slacks. The two were meeting a few roads over from the actual apartment building, but the cafe and those cherry blossoms were still visible in the distance which probably let Chen know he was trusted to be very close to the actual location. Shadows danced along brick walls when the occasional car crawled by with a crunch of gravel beneath the tires and there was an unforeseen crisp breeze which is what Xiumin hoped was causing this tightening around his heart and not just the nerves. But it was just far too late if it was nerves because Chen's happy little grin was becoming clearer with every step taken.

Neither said anything for a moment, it was like an awkward standoff with shoulders squared as they faced each other. That smug grin plastered on Chen's face indicated all kinds of mischief to come and it was met with a dusting of pink and a challenging gaze, though it faded as the distance between the two rapidly disappeared as the other purposefully strode over to him. One arm wrapped itself securely around Xiumin's lower back effectively bringing their bodies into alignment and the other came to rest on the back of his neck as warm breath fanned over his shoulder and neck. God why is my heart racing its just a stupid hug just hug him back and be normal!

"I'm so glad you came. A teeny part of me was actually worried you'd be a no show, even after seeing you during the week, but here you are in all your glory," Chen admitted as he pulled away from Xiumin, sending a soft smile to the other to let Xiumin know he wasn't that angry about the past week despite the slight dig.

Wincing visibly at the words but deep down he knew it was coming, "I am really sorry about this week, it's not exact a pleasant story so I'll get it out of the way now so it doesn't ruin our date-"

-"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. You're here and that's all that matters."

"I mean I have just realised there's a few key features of this story that are like about me that I've never mentioned to you before so I think I'll just like get it all out into the open now, oh which way is your car by the way? We might as well walk and talk," Xiumin said, glancing up and down the street before Chen told him it was just a little ways up and then down another street. "So, first and foremost, I'm adopted, and I have no idea who my biological parents are nor do I have any interest to know." Xiumin let his statement hang in the air for a moment to see if Chen had any reaction, even glancing at his date briefly to scan his features for any emotion present. The light from a streetlamp above danced across Chen's face as the two walked under it, almost playing tricks on Xiumin's sight as with every step it looked as if a new expression was forming under the differing placements of shadows.

Unaware of how to delicately respond to something as important as that Chen just went for the blunt response of, "Xiumin I could care less about where you came from so carry on."

"Alright, uh, thanks, but yeah I'm adopted and I've been raised by the Kim's, who I just see as like my actual parents since I was three um maybe- maybe four when they took me in and signed all the papers I think. Anyways I was visiting this weekend as you know, and then like out of nowhere my dad started asking me why I thought I could survive and pay rent as 'just a barista' or whatever- Oh! I have a trust fund too, I forgot to mention that, from like my biological parents- so I said to my Dad that like as much as I hate using it I use the trust fund to pay my rent and bills and the part time job pays for everything else." Briefly pausing to ensure the other was still following Xiumin became aware of a warm hand loosely clasping his wrist to guide him towards the car, as his eyes traveled back up the other's body he was met with that same soft smile from earlier. That smile only getting wider as their fingers became intertwined.

"I'm still here, still listening I mean so carry on, just planning on how to get you to be my sugar daddy now that I know about the trust fund." Grinning as he spoke Chen watched some of the tension just melt out of Xiumin as he threw his head back to laugh openly, clearly not caring about the other pedestrians staring at him.

God Xiumin hadn't laughed in days, not properly like this, just falsely at customers stupid jokes. "Anyways, you gold digger, back to the story, so yeah he just like got all weird after that saying he'd forgotten I wasn't some 'normal' kid and that he'd forgotten who's child I was as well, and to make it even worse he made it out as if he knew like properly and fully knew that my biological parents were dead, so naturally I completely freaked because I thought they knew nothing about them because that's what they've been telling me for years and after screaming the house down I just stormed out." His eyes were glued to the pavement below him in embarrassment, watching small stones bounce along the floor as the toes of his shoes scuffed the ground.

"Oh god, no wonder you've been all over the place this week, did you find out why they lied to you about not knowing them?" Chen asked, praying for once he'd managed to convey a sympathetic tone.

"No no it gets worse, when I eventually came back to confront them my mum told me that she thinks my dad might be getting dementia or something like that. She said its only been like forgetting where his keys are, just little things so far, nothing big until that. So we had to sit him down and convince him to go and get an appointment about it. Worst part is I think she blames herself somehow."

Ironically Chen always forgot about the diseases that humans got with age, especially ones like what Xiumin had mention that just stole everything away from a person. "My god I am so sorry, that is not at all how I expected that story to end, and not that it's my place but please don't feel guilty over yelling at him, you didn't know at that point that something was wrong with him. Anyways, were here, this is me, my car, so uh..." He let the implications dangle in the air as he waited for Xiumin to make a move.

"Well I can safely say that I didn't either, and thank you, I know I shouldn't feel guilty but its just one of those things. Don't worry though, he's got his appointment so there's no use me agonizing over it any longer," Xiumin insisted, only looking at Chen who still looked hesitant about the whole thing. "I promise you it's fine, I'm fine, I've been looking forward to this date all week I just wanted to tell you all this sooner rather than later." The other visibly relaxed at that and finally looking more at ease, so now that that was finally and painfully dealt with he turned his attention to the sleek masterpiece in front of him. "You want me to be your sugar daddy but this is what you drive around?!" Xiumin cried incredulously, gawking at the black sports car, clocking the emblem on the hood. He wasn't a 'petrol head' by any means but he knew that this car must have been ridiculously expensive.

Immediately Chen deflected the accusation as he reached into his jacket pocket to procure the keys and unlock the car. "Who said it's mine, maybe it's a friends, maybe it belongs to a relative, maybe I borrowed it because I wanted to impress you hmm?"

Xiumin neglected to respond to the teasing but still rolled his eyes as Chen came round to open the passenger door for him. And when he sunk into the plush leather seats it was promptly decided that he didn't care who the car belonged to. Unfortunately though being too distracted by the amazing features of the pricey car meant Xiumin failed to notice that Chen had clambered into the vehicle as well, though when the idiot revved the engine he certainly snapped out of his daze.

"What was that for, you scared me you idiot!" Xiumin exclaimed, body jumping and a hand colliding with the interior of the door with an audible thud.

"You weren't listening to me, I asked if you were ready to go?" Jingling the keys for added emphasis apparently was the key to gaining Xiumin's full attention. Dog person my .

"Yeah I am, let's go to wherever you're taking me then," he practically ordered while still cradling his poor arm, curiosity was both killing him and driving him insane but he wouldn't have it any other way, Chen would always keep him coming back for more after all. There was something enticing about the man and Xiumin just couldn't get enough of him. For someone who didn't have the best track record with relationships Xiumin was certainly an odd case as of late. Just last night he'd remembered seeing glimpses of a dream where they had just woken up together, but not in a lustful way, it was calm and it just felt safe there in Chen's arms on a dimly lit morning. His little day dreams were all filled with such mundane things as that, just little slices of life.

"Alright, yeah, let's go," Chen announced, noting the distant look in Xiumin's eyes. After setting out towards the restaurant eventually they were out of the winding roads contained within Xiumin's area and the wheels met the smooth tarmac of the open main road instead. Now that the road was much calmer he took a hand off of the steering wheel and placed it on Xiumin's thigh, just above the knee and squeezed. He didn't like the look that had over taken Xiumin's pretty features, was Xiumin not happy to be here, or was he still torturing himself over his father?

Xiumin felt his breath catch at the sudden touch but he did not comment on it at all. Instead he looked out the window in an attempt to distract himself with the endless darkness that could be seen expanding above him. Stars littered the sky and passing cars were now just a blur, the red and yellow lights were becoming streaks of colour and they sped down the highway. Every once in a while the hand would gently squeeze his thigh or rub small circles onto his skin. The touch was making Xiumin forget about every single worry he had currently plaguing him and he nearly groaned aloud as Chen added a much firmer grip. Seeing as Xiumin didn't want the hand to go away anytime soon he did try to subtly slide further to the left so that Chen wouldn't have to lean as far over, noting the awkward position Chen was in. But as soon as he shifted in his seat Xiumin knew that Chen had spotted it. After glancing over he saw that the other had this stupidly and irrationally smug look on his face, clearly becoming a frequent thing. The grip on his thigh was now tugging him over, spreading his legs open slightly.

"Thanks, my side was starting to ache from leaning over so much but I guess I at least now know you appreciated it," Chen teased, tightening his grip and completely loving how Xiumin had been borderline squirming in his seat and how he had moved in towards the touch.

Though he winced as Xiumin crossed his legs over Chen's hand, trapping it between the two thick thighs and clamping powerful muscles down on it harshly. A small cry left his mouth as Xiumin nearly crushed his poor hand and as he tried to wiggle his hand in order to set it free.

Xiumin froze. "Uh, Chen, if you are trying to get your hand out, then moving it further up is probably not the best idea- for the love of god quit moving your ing hand!" Xiumin hissed, his voice breathy and barely audible but rising to a shout at the end out of panic.

Chen then proceeded to look down quickly before focusing on the road again and instantly shared that feeling of terror, he had indeed only moved his hand further up into much more dangerous territory. "Xiumin I'm sorry I genuinely didn't mean to -it wasn't on purpose I swear, oh my god- I'm so ing sorry." The car swerved almost a foot to the right as Chen yanked his hand free and returned it to the wheel with the such a fierce grip that his knuckles turned white.

"Chen. Shut up. It's fine, I know it wasn't on purpose I just think I'd appreciate it if you- you like didn't do it again unless well uh, you know, but um like yeah, the-the hand on my thigh is like fine just, yeah. Just drive, are we close?" Xiumin mumbled with a blush on up his face, unclamping his legs and stretching them out.

"I was just worried you'd freak out and think the worst of me, I don't know what you want from this, or what limits and stuff you have so I don't want to scare you off that's all. Uh we're like ten minutes away, maybe more if I can't find somewhere to park," Chen mumbled quietly and Xiumin sat there in complete silence.

"I know you didn't mean anything by it, you wouldn't do that, I'm sure to begin with you were just trying to get me to relax, and it worked, I'm a- uh, tactile person?" Xiumin strained out, the words physically not wanting to pass his lips because god he was not ready for that conversation just yet.

"Alright, tactile person, I'll keep that in mind, I still am really sorry, I just wanted to cheer you up a bit, maybe after a few drinks we can laugh about this yeah?"

Relief flooded through him as Chen's grin though a little unsure and wavering came back to its rightful place. "You just planning on getting me all liquored up tonight are you? It won't happen that easily I'll warn you now."

"I'll buy you that top shelf stuff babydoll, get you the good stuff, then we'll see how strong you're tolerance is because I can guarantee you won't out drink me," Chen warned, knowing it was dangling in Xiumin's face like a challenge but it really was true, down to simple biology. Does it still count as biology if you're dead?

"Oh ho ho, we'll explore that avenue another time, a weekend maybe when I don't have to be functioning the next day. So, what kind of restaurant is it? Have you been here before?"

*

Eventually Chen arrived at the restaurant and parked his car after doing a few rounds of the immediate area. The ever gentlemanly person that he was quickly pulled the keys out of the ignition, jumped out of the car, and rushed round to the other side to open the door for Xiumin. His date rolled his eyes in response but Chen had a feeling that the other loved being treated like this. From what Xiumin had told him when he stopped by the coffee house, he hadn't been in many relationships and the ones that he had hadn't been the most pleasant and largely ended badly or quickly, so Chen was determined to show Xiumin one good date at the very least. And if that didn't satisfy his curiosity about why on earth he was so drawn to the little human then he'd be taking Xiumin on many more.

Chen tried to convince himself that it wasn't cruel, he was very undoubtedly very attracted to the other, and they did both have a good time together as far as one could when he was so starving merely being near the other. Like a moth to a flame, and Xiumin burned so brightly he couldn't help but begin to fall- even just a little, even if he couldn't really have a life with him, he could have a good few years at a push. Chen was a good liar, he could convince them back home that it was purely academic spending so much time among humans.

Even from the outside of the building Xiumin knew Chen had downplayed the restaurant by dubbing it 'fancy ish'. It must have originally been one of those old historic come Victorian looking buildings. It had these stained glass bay windows with beautiful flowerpots lining their external windowsills, and beneath every window was a stone placard with something in probably Latin that he could never dream of understanding. It was three stories high and tables could be seen on the first two floors with most likely storage on the third, even the front door was intimidating as before you could get to it you had to pass through a large metal gate with again more Latin with climbing plants threading themselves into any gap possible.

Next came the outdoor seating area lining either side of a paved walkway, though few would be brave enough to risk it with how cold the nights were becoming and it would surely be packed away soon. Then finally came the large dark oak-wood door with these beautiful carved panels containing more flowers and vines. Just when it couldn't get intimidating enough even with Chen's arm firmly around his waist Xiumin had to stifle a gasp as the door was opened for them from the inside just as he was about the reach for the handle. Full on Scooby Doo please enter my haunted mansion kind of vibe. But he couldn't deny that it was absolutely stunning inside and out with the interior decorations being just as rustic and elegant as the outside.

The two of them were sat down at a table by the stunning windows, it was a very busy restaurant but an slightly upscale one none the less. Not one pair of trainers in sight bar his own. . Xiumin was beginning to feel slightly uncomfortable, just by looking at the other patrons he knew that half of these people were snobs with more money than sense. The two of them just chatted about everything surrounding them until the menus finally arrived with a list of the specials being delivered to them by a pretty and young waitress, though the list was mostly being directed towards Chen who just smiled politely in response and nodded when appropriate until she finally stopped talking. God it shouldn't have even bothered him but it infuriated him to no end.

Xiumin really did try to ignore the childish and territorial feeling he had however he really didn't like the way the girl was looking at Chen, but he didn't know if he had any right to do or say something about it. Were the two of them even an item yet? Or maybe becoming one? Did he even have any right to be jealous over someone who wasn't even his in the first place? An increasing feeling of anger at the entire situation now bubbled inside him that contrasted greatly with the sudden chill rolling throughout the room. Only worsening when the girl placed her hand on Chen's arm and that's when he realised that at least one of his issues could be resolved with minimal effort. So reaching over and in between the stupid amount of cutlery and wine glasses he placed his hand over Chen's and smiled sweetly at the girl.

"I'd like to order now if that's okay?" Xiumin asked, he made sure his tone of voice remained normal and that it sounded somewhat friendly. He may dislike the girl but there was no need to be rude towards her, no matter how much he quite literally wanted to rip her arm off so that she could never touch Chen again.

"Uh yeah that's fine, what can I get you?" The waitress replied, her eyes flicking downwards to gaze at the joined hands before she just went straight back to gazing lovingly at Chen.

"The herb encrusted wild salmon with garden vegetables please? We'll order desserts later on." He listed, "What about you Chen?" Xiumin continued with as he stretched his legs out underneath the table until he found Chen's and proceeded to rest their limbs together under the cloak of the thick white tablecloth; obscuring the small act of affection from any prying eyes. But after removing his dagger like glare from the girl he threw a glance over at Chen he found the man not even looking at the menu or himself but instead at their joined hands instead with wide eyes. "Chen, babe?" Babe was definitely too much. "Are you ordering?" He asked gently while he quickly squeezed Chen's warm hand.

"Oh uh yeah, I'll just have whatever he's having," Chen muttered out, finally tearing his eyes away from Xiumin's smaller hand engulfed by his own. He was nervous to say the least, but the fact that a warm leg was resting against his own, and a pale hand was placed in his made him settle just a little bit.

The food arrived quickly and the two began to eat though Chen didn't pay much attention to the meal as instead he was focusing entirely on Xiumin, how he was animatedly talking about anything and everything the whole time and Chen found himself replying with just as much enthusiasm. Food from human restaurants was just never the same as food back home, but this dish truly did taste unpleasant. They had eventually circled back around to the cats versus dogs debate they always ended up having, Xiumin just couldn't get over the fact that Chen hated dogs; "because how could anyone hate dogs?!" to quote his date. Supposedly even if you hated poodles and German shepards, maybe you'd like labradoodles, or huskies, or pugs. There would always be one breed that you fell in love with. Although Xiumin apparently loved anything with four legs that specifically barked, not meowed. Cats were a whole other subject. But Chen just claimed to hate all dogs, every last one of his beloved creatures.

So in order to get revenge Xiumin had just rebounded with a snide remark about how Chen liking cats reflected in his personality, "Just like a cat then, stuck up and a bit of an arsehole really," he had expected a witty reply, that's just how things went, but instead all that had happened was Chen abruptly leaving the table and scurrying towards the bathroom. Xiumin just sat there completely shocked, in a full fledged panic that he had somehow genuinely offended the other but he decided to wait for Chen to come back rather than going after him. However after twenty minutes and a lot of pitying looks from the other couples and waiters Xiumin finally got up and warily walked towards the restrooms.

He quietly crept into the bathroom and a look of disgust overtook his features when all that greeted him was the sound of dry heaving and the smell of vomit. It's putrid stench was like a kick in the nose, ever since he was a child he had been sensitive to smells and often got migraines if he came across a particularly strong scent and his head was throbbing as he approached the row of stalls. Though the look began to soften when he saw Chen sat on the floor next to the toilet, sweat dripping down his face, his skin deathly pale and tears in his eyes.

" I'm not sure what's worse, me doing this or you seeing me do this, my god this hurts, both physically and emotionally- ego-iscally, egotist- egostistically? It hurts me in my big-boy ego," he whined, hand clutching his stomach. Though all forms of communication were cut of for the moment as Chen proceeded to practically throw his head back down the toilet and let out yet another flow of vomit. After moments which seemed like hours to the spectator he seemed to have momentarily stopped so Xiumin gingerly approached and laid a hand timidly on Chen's back.

"Chen what hurts? Just your stomach? Because it looks like you've got a fever or something too?" Xiumin asked stepping closer to the other and gently placing his other hand on Chen's shoulder. The other only nodded in response which was oh so helpful before vomiting in the toilet again. Xiumin remained quiet, rubbing soothing circles on Chen's back. Once the other had stopped throwing up he pulled off a few sheets of toilet roll and handed it to the other for Chen to wipe his mouth with it. "I'm gonna quickly disappear for a bit but I'll be back in like ten minutes okay?" Xiumin whispered before standing and leaving the bathroom. Momentarily stopping as Chen began whimpering and reaching for him again but he couldn't resist and quickly ran back as Chen was making desperate grabby hands at him. "Chen? What's wrong?" He inquired, now that he was back to his originally position of crouching next to Chen enveloping him in his arms.

"It's fine- this- this has happened before, it's just a really bad food intolerance, it just ing hurts, I'm sorry," Chen whined as tears now streamed freely down his face.

"Hey it's okay, nothing to apologise for, I know it hurts but I have to go for like five minutes, I promise I'll come right back, I'm not leaving you for any longer than I have to okay?" Xiumin insisted, worry lacing his rushed words.

Chen only nodded in response and rolled his shoulder in an attempt to get Xiumin's arm off who finally got the hint and backed away. Chen meanwhile had to fight off the screams. But he couldn't hold back the tears that streamed down his face, he should of paid attention to what he was eating, how the hell could he not have smelt it?! But deep down he knew why, he had been too distracted by Xiumin to even notice it and it wasn't potent enough to set of warning bells as he ate it but it was still just enough to cause this monstrous incident. And now he was stuck practically throwing up everything that he had eaten in the last few days along with his stomach and lungs into a public toilet. With his very attractive date less than a meter away.

The utter humiliation that he felt was quickly silenced by the blinding pain that sliced through his abdomen and seemed to be flowing through his very veins, transporting the powerful feeling into every millimeter of his being. His throat burned, his stomach was clenching and then unclenching with every breath much like a spasm, air wheezed in and out of his constricted throat, and to top it all off there was the joyous addition of blurred vision and a spinning room. He weakly tried calling out for Xiumin but only the sound of his retching could be heard. So he lent his forehead against the cool porcelain and prayed that the other would return quickly, hopefully before he passed out, or died.

Xiumin walked up to the till and paid for the meals first and foremost, thankfully not as crazily expensive as the grand location might suggest with a brief apology to their server and a promise that the food was indeed lovely and the vomiting did not reflect on them. Although physically walking up to the counter and asking to pay there and then seemed to shock the staff member more than the vomiting thing anyways, knowing his luck he'd probably just broken like three etiquette rules all at once by doing that.

So after immediately turning tail and hiding in the stairwell leading to the second floor he pulled his phone out of his pocket and quickly dialed the number for a taxi and gave them the name of the restaurant. The man on the other side of the line said a driver would be there in about fifteen minutes which was better than the half an hour or more that Xiumin had predicted. So once again he walked back up to the till, unfortunately still the same horrified and snooty server, and asked with aggressive politeness because he was truly growing tired of being looked down upon: "If you could please, if its not too much trouble, please come fetch me from the bathroom please, when the taxi has arrived. Please."

After receiving a very frightened look and alarmingly fast nod he quickly explained how his friend was still currently being sick in the bathroom so they could hardly wait in the lobby, which again the mere thought of visibly horrified the poor man. Xiumin then apologised again for the trouble that they were causing but the staff member just brushed it off saying that they were no trouble and that he'd send someone once it had arrived, probably just desperately wanting to be rid of them. A more senior member of staff then asked if he could assist in any manner but after Xiumin declined he then asked for both of their names so that if they ever came back they would get a free meal for all their troubles and inconveniences that night, Xiumin was unsure if he'd ever want to come back but gave the man his name none the less.

Xiumin then finally returned to the dreaded bathroom and crouched down next to Chen, not quite wanting to reduce himself to sitting on a bathroom floor no matter how badly their date had been ruined. After running his fingers through the other's thick hair to try and calm him for a few moments it unfortunately seemed that nothing could pacify the other, Chen only seemed to get worse and worse. There was less vomiting and more cries of pain as of late, his temperature had spiked to a worrying level and his skin had turned deathly pale. Eventually a very timid looking waiter came in the bathroom, face turning green when he saw Chen hanging over the toilet vomiting.

"The uh, the taxi is, uh sir, it's here, the taxi I mean, but um are you okay sir?" The young boy asked, he obviously didn't want to be here any longer so Xiumin quickly nodded and told the boy he could leave now.

"Chen, we've got to get up now, I'm going to take you to hospital I think you might seriously have food poisoning come on," Xiumin whispered gently, before he turned the handle on the toilet and flushed the chunky mix of oranges and putrid yellows away down the toilet. He wrapped his arms carefully around Chen and starting lifting him to his feet.

"No! Wait, sorry, just, no hospital, I promise it's not food poisoning- I mean we had the exact same thing, it's just an intolerance type thing to something in the food, sensitive stomach I promise," Chen protested loudly. Xiumin didn't know what to do, it was obvious that Chen was seriously ill, but he couldn't force the other to go to hospital. But he didn't want to leave him alone so there was regrettably only one thing left he could do. Therefore as much as he'd have liked to just go and drop Chen off wherever he lived the fact that Chen was only getting worse seemed to flick a switch in Xiumin. Now he wanted nothing more than to take care of the sick male and make sure that he was okay, even if it may cost him a carpet or two. "Fine, then I'm bringing you back to my apartment where I can take care of you, you're sick Chen, you need someone to help you, please," Xiumin begged.

"No! No way, you shouldn't be around me like this-"

-"Do you have literally anyone else that you can call right now to come over to your place and watch over you, huh? Do you? No, you don't, I won't lie this is probably the last way I'd ever want to spend our first date but you stuck with me when I went awol after that thing with my parents, so I'm sticking around now."

"Okay okay, just no hospital, promise?" Chen decided after a lull as he thought things over. He didn't really want to be around Xiumin while he was up to his elbows in his own vomit but he didn't really have a choice. He could not go to the hospital no matter what. So begrudgingly he allowed Xiumin to pull him to his feet and help him walk to the taxi. Both of them tried to ignore the disgusted looks they were getting as he stumbled through the restaurant and out the door but luckily the cab was only a little ways down the road. 

For Chen however each step was agony, with every moment the muscles in his abdomen would stretch and twist bringing fresh waves of pain ripping through him. No amount of leaning on Xiumin managed to alleviated even the slightest amount of the pain he was experiencing. He practically fell into the cab as soon as the door was opened, curling up in a little ball on the seat and even allowing Xiumin to baby him by tugging his seat belt over his hunched form and balling up his jacket to place it under Chen's head as a pillow. The entire drive home was spent in silence and Xiumin gazed out of the window at the endless black for the second time that night.

Chen dazedly watched as Xiumin handed the taxi driver the money for the fare, though he was completely shocked when Xiumin quickly got out, ran to the other side, and very slowly and awkwardly lifted him up bridal style out of the taxi. The other had been holding his keys in his mouth but he dropped them into Chen's lap once he had a secure hold.

"You're in charge of doors, okay? Can you do that for me?" Xiumin asked gently.

"Yeah sure, just go slowly though, I don't think I'm gonna puke again but just in case," he groaned out quietly. So Chen did exactly as Xiumin instructed, fumbling for the correct keys to unlock each door and then held on for dear life which thanking whatever god above for the elevator. If he knew what would unfold from the night ahead, Chen would have just got up and left right then, but instead he curled up in the safety of Xiumin's arms as the other carried him into the elevator. When they eventually entered Xiumin's apartment and he was placed on the floor Chen felt the entire room spin. It was the beginning of second wave of whatever sickness was plaguing him, and it was definitely worse than the first. This would be a hell of a long night.