Chapter 7 : Miracle

Poison Flower (ExoVelvet fic)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Aachooo..." Seulgi sneezed so loud coming out of her house in the morning.

Her mother followed her, came out of the house and locked the front door behind her.

She looked at her daughter who was carelessly wiping her nose with her sleeve.

"Aish! Aren't you a disgusting child...here...," she handed a handkerchief to Seulgi who took it looking away.

 

"...And why are you going to work so late? Normally you would disappear before I even wake up. Did they kick you out? They did, didn't they?"

"No! I quit the lame job," Seulgi said in a low voice walking down the uneven steps together with her mother.

Last thing she wanted in the morning was her mother to keep asking about her milk delivery job, which reminds her about her 'alien friends' and the ever so annoying 'Kim Jongin'.

"Hm... Do whatever you want..." Her other said sighing, to which Seulgi felt bad although she should feel glad her mother said so giving her the freedom.

"...By the way, Seulgi-ah. I'll be working over night today. I left the dinner in the fridge. Eat it, okay? Don't you dare skip meals," Her mother nudged her wanting her to say something in return.

Seulgi just nodded. 

Mrs. Kang was a nurse at the city hospital. She would often work over night leaving Seulgi home alone. But Seulgi didn't mind, for she'd feel more peaceful without having her mother nag over and over when she's at home.

 

She and her mother separated at the bus station. And Seulgi walked to school alone. She felt her mother's absence, for till the bus station her mother was blabbing away but now she felt more peaceful and she could hear her own conscience. 

 

Seulgi wasn't the first to come to school that day. There were children out on the road getting to school with her. It was the first time in a long time that she'd be coming to school together with her schoolmates.

She stood at one side of the crosswalk waiting for the light to turn green so she could walk in through school gates , which were in front of her.

Seulgi looked up to see a familiar figure standing right next to the school gate.

"Gosh.." she rolled her eyes and looked away irritated.

It was Jongin and Taemin. They were standing there and talking.

She's been wanting to avoid them as much as possible since the time Baekhyun forced her to join them at the school grounds the other day. And she's been successful so far. She even managed to avoid Baekhyun when he chased her around school that same day wanting her to join them after-school. 

Seeing Jongin right in front of her made her want to just walk back home. But there was also some kind of a feeling like she just wanted to know what would happen if she did just walk in to school passing him. Will he stop her? Or will he just look at her walk by him?

 

At that time she heard a vehicle on the far end horn so loud and pass by.

Everyone on the road looked about to see why it was so loud.

 

"Aye, what is he doing?" a student next to Seulgi asked.

She followed his gaze to see a boy who seemed to be drunk walking across the road. He looked almost dead, like he had given up on life. His half open eyes moved so fast. He looked exhausted. His hands were shaking. His hair was falling to his eyes making it impossible to see ahead. 

Some of the kids on Seulgi's side called the boy to get away from the road. But he didn't seem to hear them for he kept on walking like he couldn't care less.

 

So many vehicles were horning from all over. Seulgi watched as he wobbled his way in the middle of the road while most vehicles tried their best to avoid him. The shouts became louder. Everyone was shouting at him, but no one was willing to go there and get him to safety. Seulgi too just watched him without a word for it wasn't her business.

Suddenly he stopped in the middle of the road and took a U turn. And without a second passing by he knocked hard on the vehicle that was speeding from the opposite side. The sound of him knocking on the vehicle echoed making chills run down Seulgi's back. Her eyes saw the vehicle punch him hard on the stomach and his head hit hard on its bonnet. He dropped on to the ground with a thud.

Everyone gasped. He laid on the ground just next to the wheels of the car that stopped the instant it knocked on the drunk boy. Blood was spilled on the road. Those who were shouting before ran out now.

Seulgi felt her knees give up. She could feel her blood turning into water. She squat down right where she was while everyone else was gathering up around the accident that occurred few seconds ago.

"Call an ambulance!" Seulgi heard the familiar voices of their teachers shouting out.

The atmosphere was in total panic. Everyone was shaken up. Seulgi felt like she was been pulled back to earth for she didn't expect something like this early in the morning. She didn't expect to see someone die in front of her eyes in the morning. She suddenly felt like it was her fault. She looked away when she could have joined into shout louder at him before to get away from the road, or she could have just gone in and dragged him with her to safety. But it was too late now.

She suddenly couldn't breathe properly. She was choked up. She saw some of her schoolmates covering their face like they were already .

"Seulgi..." a hand grabbed her shoulder and squat down next to her.

She looked at the person with tears in her eyes.

It was Baekhyun. He was surprised to see Seulgi like that. 

"What happened?" He asked patting Seulgi.

The ambulance passed by them in a whisk and Baekhyun saw the crowd that was gathered on the road make way. Baekhyun just arrived, and he had already missed a good chunk of what happened. But after seeing a body been taken into the ambulance he guessed as to what may have gone down.

He made Seulgi stand up and held on to her while they both watched the ambulance rush back to the hospital.

 

"It's okay, he'll be fine. I'm sure," Baekhyun said looking at Seulgi who wiped her teary eyes.

She then nodded and let go of Baekhyun picking up her bag that seemed to have fallen onto the ground without her even knowing.

Baekhyun let her go in first for he was sensing something. He was feeling like he missed something important. That he was just seconds away from something that was very very important to him.

 

***

 

That day, the entire school seemed like it was been gobbled up by sadness.

Even the weather seemed gloomy. Everyone was in a bad mood. No jokes, no laughter. Almost everyone in the school saw what happened in the morning.

It was during their math period before the lunch break that an announcement was made regarding the situation.

"...The last announcement is regarding the accident that occurred in the morning. No one from our school was injured. The hospital let us know that the person who got injured today is doing fine. That's it for now."

 

Seulgi felt a bit relieved but as the scene started replaying over and over she felt unsure. She saw how hard the vehicle hit him. She even remembered the sound of the hit.

He couldn't have survived the blow. He should be dead.

The bell rang and everyone hurried to grab lunch.

Seulgi was too engrossed in her own world, she didn't even realize that she was already eating with Baekhyun who sat down next to her at the cafeteria. Jongin and Taemin joined

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter