Better Half

BY HOOK OR BY CROOK (EDITING)

have you read chapter 57?

 

“Good morning Princess.” Yoochun said trying to make voice sound cheerful as possible. But to his dismay, Rei remained staring in world of nothingness.

But he never lost his hope.

He decided to bring his family home and promised Jaejoong to take care of his sister with all his might. Rei took care of them with all her heart and soul; it was about time to pay her back.

One problem though…. He didn’t know how to start.

He was used on being awakened by Rei’s touch and kisses every morning before he goes to work. Hectic schedules were no match for him because his wife will surely be waiting for him and his lovely daughter with good food specially cooked for him.

But everything was changed with one single mistake.

 

He stood and saw his wife already seated at her chair near the window. The morning wind sent some serious goose bumps on his skin so he immediately went to their walk-in closet and got his favorite coat and gently places it on her shoulders. She didn’t give him any reactions, not even a thank you was here form her lips. Yoochun sighed and kneeled in front of his depress wife.

“I hope you can feel the warm from my coat. I love you princess.” He said and kissed her lips. His eyes instantly watered when coldness welcomed him. So he just stood and went to see YooMi, who was still sleeping at her crib and kissed her forehead.

 

His legs carried him to their kitchen afterwards- Rei’s favorite part of the house next to their room. He opened the refrigerator and found all the foods neatly arranged inside. He smiled and commended his wife for keeping their house spic and span.

He then got three eggs from the rack and the pan on the cabinet. But there was a problem… he wanted to make something special for his wife… actually it was the first time he’ll be cooking for Rei… he badly wanted her to be okay and come back to normal after having a taste of his food.

He sighed in desperation… he cant even cook a single egg… how can he make a whole special dish for Rei? But… it’s worth a try. He skillfully put on his apron and lay the pan on top of the stove.  He gently cracked the egg on the side of the pan, spilling half of it. It took him a few minutes before the egg was cooked-fully cooked…. A fried egg with a broken yoke and burned sides. He felt a little relief as he placed it on a plate… one egg down… one to go…. A simple thing that made him proud of himself….

He was about to do the other one when someone knocked on the door. He immediately went for it, leaving the egg frying on the fan on high heat.

 

“Hyung!!!” he happily greeted Jaejoong who was bringing a pot with him.

“You look so happy.” He smirked.

“Yah…. Rei is responding well today.”

With those words, Jaejoong’s mood lightened up.

“Seriously?” he cling on his brother in law’s arm “Tell me what happened.”

“Ah well… she woke up early today….and sat on the chair by herself.”

“Ah Yah!” Yoochun earned a smack from Jae.

“Why?!” he squirmed in pain.

“She does that everyday you pabo!”

“Hyung!”

Jae was about to say something back when something entered his nose.

“Yah…” he scratched. “Are you cooking something?”

Yoochun’s eyes instantly widened.

“Eggs!” he yelled, running at the same time.

 

 

 

“Hyung….” Micky mouse sadly threw his egg away… it was really such a waste but he cannot do anything about it… it was burnt to ashes… black as coal… Jaejoong can't even recognized it.

“You really are planning to serve this to my sister? Jae eyed the egg he first cooked.

Yoochun smiled proudly. “I’m sure she will be okay after eating that one.”

Jae laughed sarcastically. A half burnt egg will be served to Rei. For him, that was just ridiculous. He slowly pulled his sleeve up and got an apron. His skill will be put on a test. He will show Yoochun what cooking was all about.

“Watch you useless mouse.”

And the useless mouse was taken aback so he side stepped his way to the counter and watched Jae in envy as he expertly cracked two eggs with both hands on the pan.

“Whoah!” His face showed a genuine picture of amazement. “You can fry two eggs at the same time?”

Jae let go of a laugh.  If cooking is a subject… he will surely get an A for excellence without a sweat.

 

 

“There…” plate landed in front of Yoochun with two perfectly fried eggs. “If you will still insist on letting Mimi eat those horrendous eggs of yours…. She will surely loose her mind and never to return again.”

Yoochun’s stomach automatically growled with those, Jae even added the soup he cooked for his sister. He woke up early for that soup. It was full of love and cheer.

“Thanks hyung.” Mr. Park grinned as he put the food on the tray.

 

 

Jaejoong watched with arms crossed as Yoochun served his wife. He carefully fed her and Jae saw the sincerity and love with what Yoochun was doing.

“Princess… the doctor said you have to eat a lot.” He smiled as he wiped her lips.

Rei just stare at him blankly.

Yoochun smiled but there was sadness that he cannot hide, even to the eyes of Jaejoong who was watching them at the door. When he said that he will watch Yoochun’s actions… he meant it.

Yoochun was about to put another spoonful of soup to Rei’s mouth but she didn’t open it.

“Princess what’s wrong… there’s still more.” He said as he still tried to feed her but she was not opening .

“You have to eat this all up.”

But still…

He sighed. Actually, he was trying to convince himself that Rei was somehow showing signs of progress. He hated to see her in that situation. She was showing no sign of development at all. And it was breaking his heart slowly.

“We have to meet manager hyung in two hours. You have to prepare.” Jaejoong stopped his thoughts.

“Nah… I can’t leave my wife like this.”

“But we have schedules to attend today. We-“

“Hyung.” He cut him off. “Please tell manager hyung that I can’t make it. I want to spend my time with my wife and daughter.”

Jaejoong couldn’t do anything but to nod. There was nothing he can do for him to leave that house. He was determined to take care of his wife until she gets better and Jae also wished that it will be soon.

 

 

 

“Where’s Junsu and Yoochun?” Mr. Kang, the manager glared as there were only three DBSK appeared in front of him.

“Hyung hurt his knuckles.” Changmin told him.

“Yoochun is taking care of Mimi.” Jae followed.

“Aish! You funk! We have an important photo shoot today.” Manager was once again furious. His chubby cheeks became mush bigger as he gets angry.

“Hyung… you have to understand. They’re having a difficult situation. I’m sure they want to be here but since…”

But Yunho was interrupted their manager.

“…but since Junsu is still heart broken and Yoochun was trying to make up with his wife that’s wife they’re not here.”

The three nodded and waited patiently for their manager’s last words.

“Okay.” He sighed. “Yunho, I’m giving you three days to fix this all up. Tell Junsu to wake up. That funk... he should take advantage of his situation. He can surely write songs out of his loneliness.”

“Hyung!” Yunho yelled.

“Huh? Alright.” He looked down in shame. “Just fix this up.” And left.

 

“Ah that old man!” the maknae couldn’t hide his frustration. “No wonder he ended growing old and bald!”

Jae and Yunho laughed. But their problem was sure big.

 

 

“Junsu stayed inside his room after your conversation.” Yunho told Jae. They chose to hang out at his house since they were free for three days.

“He even broke his knuckles off.” Changmin added.

“I won’t be surprise if he hates Yoochun for going to Japan without informing him.” Jae commented as he took a sip from his banana milk. After the Wine bribing thing, he didn’t dare to bring up the subject anymore or even talked about wine.

“Yah.” Yunho agreed. “He hates him. He kept on yelling everytime he remembers it.”

The maknae then said something that made Yunho uneasy.

“That’s what you get when you fall in love and leaving the girls heart broken afterwards. Girls’ heart should be handled with all care and gentleness.” He said.

“I hope you won’t fall on your knees Changmin.” Jae hissed. “How can you say something as stupid as that? You haven’t fallen in love yet.”

“Look whose talking. How can you say that it’s stupid when you haven’t tried it yourself also?” If fight was what Jaejoong wants…. Changmin was more than willing to give it.

“It’s because I don't have time.” Jae defended but he was actually taken aback with their maknae’s words… he was just afraid to admit though.

“Whatever.” He rolled his eyes. “And one more thing, Dongsaengs and Noonas needed different kind of attention.”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“Noonas wanted to take care of us. So we just basically just sit and relax while they pour all their love on us while Dongsaengs are the one to take care of.”

“I would have to disagree.”

“Why… I’m right. Right?”

With that… Yunho, who was quiet the whole time, suddenly stood and went out.

“Hyung!” Changmin called but he didn’t even look back

“What’s wrong with people?” He growled.

 

 

 

 

 

Days passed and it slowly turned to weeks and eventually months. DBSK was preparing to wrap up their final activities and currently having their rehearsal for the goodbye stage for their song that broke a new record. Cassiopeia will be so sad, but they will just have to wait for a little while because the company was preparing a much bigger album for their next comeback.

“Hyung!” Yoochun bowed and said goodbye to his hyungs. He was still in sweat when he quickly picked his bags and keys and headed for the door. He had to be home soon because Rei and YooMi were only left to Mr. Lee who happily volunteered to take care of them while he was away. it had been like that for the past months.

“Yah! Careful!” Yunho warned as the mouse nearly tripped at the door.

“Hyung looks so tired today.” Changmin noticed. “His mind seemed far away. He was not even synchronizing with us during our last choreography.”

“What’s wrong with him?” Yunho asked.

“He’s having a hard time being a full time performer and a full time husband.” Jaejoong said casually but deep in his heart and mind, he was also getting worried.

Almost everyday for the past few months, Yoochun’s routine was to wake up at exactly 4 in the morning, 3:00 if they have a schedule, then he will cook something for his family. Jaejoong thought him how to make simple dishes for them. And then, he will give his wife and his daughter a bath… putting their clothes and combing their hair. He was basically a house husband. He will start to clean the house at exactly 6 if they don't have much to do. Cook lunch at 10:30… put YooMi to bed for an afternoon nap at 1:00, talking to Rei to make her remember things and freshen her mind, read books for her… play with YooMi…. Wash their clothes during the weekends… make sure that the garden was in good state… wash the car...cook dinner… feed his wife and baby… tuck them to bed…. And write songs for a while to finish his activities for that they. He goes to bed at 12:00 midnight except when the times when YooMi was being playful and didn’t want to sleep yet, he was awake till 3:00 in the morning. That’s what he does when he is free… it becomes worse if they had to do fan meetings… concert… live performances… and meetings…. He’s almost dead when he reached home…. but despite all of that, getting a made never entered his mind. He promised to take care of his family and he will do it alone.

It would be okay if Rei was waiting for him and ready to give him a big hug and soothing massages… his tiredness will surely be history with his wife’s sweetness. But for the past months, he hadn’t received anything from her. But then again, he wasn’t loosing his hope.

 

 

“I’ll go too.” Junsu bowed and left.

“And where is he going?” Yunho scratched his head.

“Banpo bridge.” Changmin hissed. "As if you don't know."

 

 

 

And he was right… Junsu went straight to the place that gave him peace and comfort.

“Should I follow her?” he asked Goon Yoo, the little boy.

“Noona?” he mumbled as he the lollipop Junsu gave to him.

“Ah huh.”

“Sure thing. You said you wanted to see her.”

“It’s been a year Goon Yoo…. And for one year… my heart didn’t stop beating for her.” He said, half sobbing. “I don't even know why I am still alive… I lost everything… even my closest friend because I love her so much. Right know... my heart is like being ripped apart." he said, which was true.

He wasn’t talking to Yoochun after his visit to Japan, their closeness faded with what the latter did. He only talks to him if needed. He never asked questions, he didn’t answer his queries. They suddenly became strangers to each other. He refused to come to Jaejoong’s house if Yoochun was also coming. Things that they usually do were suddenly forgotten.

“Hyung…. Is Japan that far away?” Goon Yoo innocently asked.

“Not that far.”

“I want to go there.”

“Why?” he frowned. He was surprised that Goon Yoo suddenly showed interest to go to Japan.

“I want to see Noona… I want to tell her that you love her so much.”

He laughed sadly and ruffled his hair. He was amazed of his innocent and courage, the courage he wished he had. And that moment… his mind  took him to his past… to the time when he was still with her… he missed everything in her… her smile… her cuteness… her kisses… he once tried to move on but he failed right away. Looks like his heart could only beat for her.

Jaejoong went to her and failed to bring her home… Yoochun also tried… and also failed, that made him scared… what if he also fails?

Will he ever gather himself again?

What if Saki refuses to come home? What will happen to him?

What if she’s still angry with what he did?

What if she refuses his heart? Will he able to stand it?

Millions of questions flooded his confused mind… but none of them was answered. He had to make a decision. He already wasted one year of his time without her. He once said that not being with her was time wasted. He had to prove it more than ever… and from those thoughts… he finally made a decision.

 

 

 

At the same time… not far away from that beautiful place… someone was also crying on someone’s shoulder over 15 bottles of Soju.

“I’m a great loser Geng.” Zhang laughed bitterly and took another drink. “One year had passed but I haven’t still got my first base on Xiah.”

“I told you to stop.” Hankyung pitied her. But he cannot do anything but to listen to her miserable bestfriend.

“No…” she shook her head frantically. “I will not stop Geng… even if it takes me forever.”

“Junsu never love you and never will.”

“Yah!” she suddenly slapped his arm.

She was drunk and her voice was groggy. Hankyung just let her in that situation. He knew that she will just go straight to bed after she let all her sadness out… she will not have the time to think of ‘him’ anymore… For the past year… spoke of only one name, Xiah.  And Hankyung was hurting for her. She stooped down to unbelievable level just for Junsu to fall for her but she was a big failure. Any guy would fall for her beauty but obviously not ‘him’. And that was making the ever trusted bestfriend sad. She maybe bad and selfish… but still… she’s his bestfriend.

“Xiah will soon have his eyes on me… he will soon see my worth.” She whispered before she dropped her head on the table and dozed off.

 

 

 

 

Another morning, another empty and cold morning welcomed Yoochun. Their activities finally wrapped up and he will have all the time in the world to take care of his family.  The other guys felt sorry for him but they couldn’t stop him for doing what he does. So they just did everything to help him except for Junsu, who was still in estrangement with him. Yoochun understood and tried to accept Junsu’s decision of ignoring him. He care about him but he knew what he did was wrong. He tried to apologize but Junsu just ignored him so he just continued living his life. He knew that his friend will soon forgive and talk to him.

Little by little, exhaustion was taking its toll on him. No matter how high his love for his family was, no matter how strong his mind was, his body was not doing the same thing. He almost collapse during one of their last performance. And that day, he woke up with such high fever but his undying love made him stood and did his usual task. He dizzily walked his way to the kitchen and made some soup for his wife.

 

“Y-yah…” his voice was shaking as well as his hand when he tried to put the soup on his wife’s mouth.

“H-how’s your sleep… did you dream of me?” he smiled in between heavy panting.

Rei blinked but no words came out from her lips.

“Me, I’ve been dreaming of you… always. Princess… please don't be angry anymore… I miss talking to you. I miss your sweet voice. I’m so sorry for causing much pain. Please wake up.” his shaking hands gently touched and caressed her face.

He was sick and that made him missed Rei so much. He was anxious and desperate to hear her voice again. He then tried to stand but his feet felt like jelly and he was breathing heavily. He prayed that his asthma won’t attack him again. He had to take care of his family and he didn’t have the plan to rest that day.

He slowly reached for the bed for support and grabbed the empty plates. He was about to take his first step when he felt his world wobble. Plates instantly flew on the floor, leaving them broken. He fell on his knees and his hand supported his body. He was freaking hot and dizzy. He could even stand no matter how hard he tried. He suddenly heard YooMi cry and he became worry so he gathered all his strength to stand only to fall again, but that time, to Junsu’s arms.

“Hyung… we have to talk.”

 

 

***************************************************************************

Hi…. Sorry for the late updates…..

Just had a major break up…

Have you read 57?

Hope you like this one….

Please leave your comments….

 

TT

 

aejae22

BY HOOK OR BY CROOK