Memories

The Lone Soldier

Jiyong slowly allowed himself to sit up from his mattress. The crimson sheets pooled into a pile on the floor. The elegant dragon designs carefully woven in were now folded into a contrasting array . He stepped over them as he made his way out of the bed and across his room towards the window.

He blankly peered out into the dark night and thought back. Back to her. For some reason he couldn't let it go. His duty was to deceive her then to leave just as fast as he had appeared. But she had managed to find a place in his heart. A heart he believed to be long gone for years now. He couldn't help the flood of memories that overwhelmed him.

 

"Oppa!" her voice had called out.

He turned to glance as she rushed towards him, a small basket in hand. A small smirk  crossed his face as he took in the sight of her.

"Chaerin-ah." he responded in an endearing tone.

Her thick dark hair had been left down flowing across her shoulders. It was the only thing that really stood out. She was clad in a simple servant's attire of a plain white underdress. It came with long sleeves that gave the appearance of an expensive garb when in reality it was not more than an average replica of the other thousands issued to the other servants. The underdress came down low on her and revealed her supple legs, the only bonus to the dreadful attire.

"I managed to bring over some leftovers from the kitchen. I know it's not much but-"

"But it's enough to get you killed! Why would you do that?" Jiyong had barked at her instantly.He noted how taken aback she seemed and softened his tone

He reached his hands to her own and them gently

"You know Madame Dong would have your head in a minute. And I told you I can provide for myself" Jiyong reminded her

"But- I just-," and she looked up at him with those large hypnotizing eyes, "I wanted to eat with you."

Jiyong couldn't resist her silent plea, and reluctantly indulged in the contents of the basket. Nothing more than a few half spoiled fruits and barely cooked meats. But he knew the moment mean the world to her and for that he pretended to savor every bite. "

 

Jiyong slowly slipped out of his reverie and reached into the side pocket of his tunic. He pulled out an exquisite looking amulet. A bright yellow stone acted as the center piece. It was carved into the shape of a star that bulged at the center. It's thousands of tiny surfaces instantly caught the faint moonlight and casted an ominous glow around Jiyong's bed chamber. The stone was flanked on all sides by smaller , but equally as luxurious blush colored diamonds that were engraved with words in a beautiful script. The chain that held the opulence together was made of a heavy brilliant gold.Yet the sight of it all made Jiyong sick

"It wasn't worth it." He spat into the quiet night as a lone tear streaked down his face and silently slithered down the chain of the amulet.

It was one of his many rewards. More like bribes. Bribes to leave her.

 

"Your mission was to recover and gain information quietly in some no name -hole of a village and then be on your way. I didn't need you to go falling in love." a loud voice had boomed at him.

Jiyong remembered being shackled in chains thrown against the floor and left to the mercy of his commander

The large brute of a man looked down at Jiyong with merciless eyes.

"All we needed you to do is keep your ears open for any news on those damned rebels. But because of your negligence we're even more ignorant on their plans than we were before. Do you have anything to say for yourself soldier?"

He remembered not even being able to respond because the beating he had received was that effective

"But I like you Kwon. I'll give you one last chance. If you forget about this little piss poor village and come lead our armies in the South against these rebels I'll give you a new title. Think of it as a promotion. You'll have all the power that you've worked your entire life for. I'll even throw in a few riches and trinkets."

Jiyong couldn't help but raise his head from the ground at the proposition.

"Of course it's a shame you'll have to leave such a beautiful young maiden behind, but I'm sure many of my men would gladly keep her company." The commander let the words out slowly to double the affect he knew they'd have on Jiyong.

"Dont..-Dont you dare touch her." A weak Jiyong had managed to utter between struggled breaths.

"Fine." the commander stated simply, "I'll leave this place alone and your woman alone if you pledge your loyalty to this army and to your country. It's time you return to your senses. Compassion and a conscience have no place in our soldiers. And it previously had no place in you Kwon. So I'd like to see a return to normalcy soon or I will make good on my promise to visit your woman."

And that was that. Jiyong's future had been decided not by him but by a threat. After his recovery from his beating he managed to see her one more time and whisper a promise After 2 years he was still haunted by the memories. By his desire to see her again. He knew he couldn't, but he still foolishly laid awake at night wondering if she still waited for him. If shes still cried a the thought of his leaving. If she still remembered their time together. If she still loved him...

He knew without the courage to defy his loyalties to the army and his country all this speculation was pointless. But he still pictured them together free of restrictions. So he mechanically walked back to his bed and sat there awake throughout the night until the sun arose to signal a new day.