ROUND 4 : Bestfriends and the Past

REMATCH : Moody Kitty vs Bad-tempered Puppy

 

Why?

Why??

Why did he trust Sanghyuk to pick the rings??

Now Jaehwan is regretting it. He already losses count on how many times he hits his own head for his stupidity. He should have known better what kind of a kid Jung Sanghyuk is. Until now, nothing is filling his brain except Taekwoon’s ‘I told you so’ since last night after they got home from buying the rings.

 

“I did a good job, hyungs. Look! Like what Jaehwan hyung wants, those rings are cute! And Taekwoon hyung, just like how you said about cheap rings! Those are not that expensive!”

 

Jaehwan silently giggles at the running puppies engraved on his ring. The rings are indeed cute with puppies on Jaehwan’s and kittens on Taekwoon’s. But still, who in the world wearing this kind for an engagement ring?

Jaehwan rolls to his side to look at his phone. It is nearly 8 in the morning but he is too lazy to wake up. No sign of Taekwoon waking up either. Maybe a little more sleep will be better considering how late they got to bed after arguing about the rings tragedy last night.

Jaehwan yawns, feeling the heaviness on his eyes once more. He is almost gone to the dream land when he hears something that makes his eyes immediately open. He may hear it wrong, but it sounds so real. The sound of someone pressing the apartment’s passcode.

It could not be Taekwoon because he is sure the older is still soundly sleeping in his own room next to Jaehwan’s.

Sanghyuk?

After some moments, the apartment door opens and he hears some footsteps. Jaehwan rises up immediately, feeling the need to check whoever the guest is. Even if it is Sanghyuk, he needs to greet him too right? But somehow a soft mumble makes Jaehwan’s ears perk up. That is an unfamiliar voice he hears. An unfamiliar intruder? A stranger? A thief?

Many possibilities run around Jaehwan’s brain as he stands up, walking towards his room door and opening it carefully to find no one. He then takes a deep breath before stepping outside, looking around once again and there, someone is standing at the doorway, eyes widen as much as Jaehwan’s. The first thing Jaehwan notices about the guy is his tan skin, then his neat suits, and the last is his somehow harmless look.

They stand there facing each other awkwardly for a moment until the guy clears his throat.

“Uhm. Hi, sorry for intruding. I don’t know Taekwoon has a new roommate.” Jaehwan watches the guy smiles and waves his hand awkwardly and he, feeling pity of the guy’s situation, nods his head in return.

“I’m not a bad person. I’m just- I used to come here a lot so I know the passcode and yeah…” The guy rubs his long neck. “I’m not a stranger, ok. I’m Taekwoon’s bestfriend and his secretary too. So-” Jaehwan raises a brow when the tan guy slaps his forehead as he remembers something important. “Ah ! I’m sorry but I have to wake up my boss because we have a meeting in an hour! So excuse me!”

And he runs. He barges in Taekwoon’s room like it is not a weird thing to do and the next thing Jaehwan hears is some loud scream of how Taekwoon should wake his up now and the meeting and an angry mumble about Taekwoon not telling the guy about the new roommate.

Jaehwan sighs. It seems like they are really friends and Jaehwan can introduce himself later because hey, he did not even have a chance to say anything just now. So he decides to make breakfast. Luckily he and Taekwoon went to grocery shopping last night because the older literally does not have anything in his fridge except dozen cans of coffee and kimchi.

“Hey!”

Jaehwan almost drops the eggs because of the sudden voice. After making sure that the eggs are ok, he turns around to meet the tan guy smiling at him. He smiles back.

“Hi.”

“I’m sorry about earlier. I’m Hakyeon, Cha Hakyeon. I’m Taekwoon’s bestfriend and works as his secretary too.” Jaehwan do not know why but some weird feeling creeps up as the guy introduce himself with that cheery voice of his. Somehow, the name sounds familiar and so does his voice.

Have they met before?

Jaehwan does not even realize that he spaces out until Taekwoon’s hoarse voice brings him back to reality.

“He is Lee Jaehwan. He lives here with me.” Jaehwan sees a frown on Hakyeon’s face but he says nothing about it, only scolding Taekwoon about how he should be ready if they do not want to be late for the meeting. Taekwoon ignores him and looks at Jaehwan instead.

“What are you doing?”

“Huh? Oh I want to make breakfast. You want some? Do you want some too, Hakyeon-ssi?”

“No, thank you, Jaehwan-ssi. I’m full already.” Hakyeon rubs his stomach as if to show his ‘full’ stomach. Jaehwan smiles but Taekwoon frowns.

“What did you eat?”

“Some leftover pizza from last night.”

“How many times have I told you to stop eating junk food?”

“Look who’s talking! You should thank Jaehwan-ssi for cooking those delicious fried rice for you.” Jaehwan watches in amusement how the two elders argue with each other until Hakyeon turns to look at him. “Just pack him some, Jaehwan-ssi. I’ll make sure he’ll eat them later after the meeting.”

“No. I don’t need it.”

“Shut up and get ready! Why the hell are you still here?? Go!” Jaehwan laughs at Taekwoon and Hakyeon’s just-for-a-split-second derp faces. It looks so funny how close they are to each other but deep inside, the weird feeling is still there.

‘Have I met him before?’

 

---

 

“WOW. REALLY?!”

“I warned you to not be too loud. This is why I don’t want to tell you.” Taekwoon rubs his temple and chooses to look out the window with Hakyeon still spazzing behind the steering wheel.

“Waaah so he’s the one. Why don’t you tell me earlier? At least I can greet him properly!”

“Shut up and drive! I don’t want to go to the hospital when we still have an important meeting!”

“Ayee, captain~ I’ll keep you safe until your wedding of course!” Hakyeon giggles, stopping carefully at the red light. He glances at Taekwoon and catches something interesting.

“Woaah! Is this engagement ring?” He grabs Taekwoon’s hand, examining the ring only to frown. “kittens? Seriously Taekwoon? I know you have that undying love towards cats but for an engagement ring?”

“I’m not the one who picked it.” Hakyeon raises a brow.

“Huh? Ok. I don’t know Jaehwan-ssi has some unique taste. You two are match made in heaven then.”

Taekwoon groans, “Sanghyuk. It’s Sanghyuk!”

“Sanghyuk? Sanghyukkie- wait. He’s the one who picked this ridiculous ring?” Taekwoon nods.

“I thought you know what kind of person your brother is.” Hakyeon smiles amusedly as he starts to drive again.

“Jaehwan asked Sanghyuk to pick them.”

“I swear, Taekwoon. You have unique family! Even your bride to be too.”

“He’s a man, Hakyeon.”

“But still. He’s the ‘bride’ right? If you know what I mean…” He shrugs before gasps. “Oh. Are you-”

“Do you want to die?”

“Then, bride it is. Jaehwan-ssi is your bride!”

 

---

 

“Hello?”

“Where are you?”

“Uhm. I’m on the bus about to go home.” Jaehwan answers. His eyes narrow at the sounds before Taekwoon. “Where are you?”

“I’m in my office, about to go home.” Jaehwan nods. It may explain the shuffling sound. Maybe Taekwoon is still arranging some documents before going home. “Jaehwan-ah.”

“Hm?”

“Do you have free time after this?”

“Huh? Why?”

There is a silent for a moment. It seems like Taekwoon is hesitant to say something and it makes Jaehwan’s breath hitch in anticipation.

“My friends want to meet you.” Oh.

“Friends?”

“Yeah. They are my close friends. You met Hakyeon this morning and there is another one. She wants to meet you too.” A she?

Jaehwan bits his lips. Is he even ready to meet Taekwoon’s friends yet? They will get married, yes. But to meet people related to Taekwoon this soon, everything seems so real all of sudden.

“Jaehwan-ah, are you ok?” Taekwoon sounds worried and Jaehwan feels bad for thinking too much. “It’s ok if you can’t-”

“No. It’s ok. I have nothing to do after this anyway. Just text me the place and I’ll get there.” Jaehwan tries to sound as normal as possible but Taekwoon seems to doubt it.

“Are you sure ok with this? I can tell them if you’re not. I’m sure they’re ok with that.”

“No. No. It’s ok, Taekwoon. It’s good to make friends, right?” Again, there is silent before he hears Taekwoon sighs.

“Fine. I’ll text you the address and we’ll meet there. We can go home together after that.”

“Ok. See you.”

“Hm.”

 

---

 

Once Jaehwan steps inside the cozy café, he spots Hakyeon right away. The older is sitting beside a beautiful woman, chatting comfortably with Taekwoon who sits in front of them, back facing Jaehwan. That is until Hakyeon meets his eyes and waves excitedly at him.

“Hi.” Jaehwan bows to the three people before taking a seat next to Taekwoon. They look at each other but Taekwoon quickly turns to the lady.

“Noona, this is Jaehwan. Jaehwan-ah, this is Sojin noona.”

“Hi~ Aigoo, you’re right Hakyeon-ah. Jaehwan-ssi is very cute.” Sojin coos at the embarrassed Jaehwan. Truly tough, Jaehwan may act cute all he wants but when someone say that he is cute, he does not know what to do.

“Don’t worry, Jaehwan-ssi. She’s our mom. Our best of the best mom.” Hakyeon jokes but immediately shut up as a pinch lands on his cheek

“Say that again, Hakyeon. Hm? I’m what?”  

“Noona! You’re our kind, beautiful, and baby faced noona!” Hakyeon struggles to break free, “Taekwoon, you do something!”

“I’m not at fault. You’re the one who talk too much.” Taekwoon calmly sips his coffee before turns to Jaehwan who is smiling at the bickering Hakyeon and Sojin. “They’re my bestfriends since college.”

“College? That long already?”

“Yes. We met in college. Taekwoon and I were the same year while Sojin noona was our senior in dance club!”

Jaehwan does not remember how it all started but they end up talking about the three bestfriends’ college year and how Taekwoon, Hakyeon, and Sojin met each other. Both Hakyeon and Sojin compete to tell Jaehwan every stupid things Taekwoon had ever done that caused the CEO to blush and kicks Hakyeon’s feet under the table. Of course, they also do not forget to ask Jaehwan about his childhood with Taekwoon since they have heard about the two of them who have known each other since a child.

By the time they go home, Jaehwan knows that Taekwoon, Hakyeon, and Sojin met as members of dance club in their university. At first, Jaehwan got confused about Taekwoon joined the dance club because he never knows the older likes that kind of activity. He only knows Taekwoon loves sports. Turned out, Hakyeon was the one who forced Taekwoon to join the said club.

He also then finds out about Taekwoon’s low alcohol tolerant and his bad drinking habit. They never drank together before though.

“What are you laughing at?” Jaehwan turns to look at Taekwoon who looks unamused.

It was already 8 PM when they stepped out of the café and they are walking side by side to go home since Taekwoon did not bring his car this morning. It is weird but Jaehwan likes the feeling of having someone walks with him like this.

“Nothing.” Jaehwan shrugs, trying hard to hide his smile because he knows Taekwoon would not like it.

“That’s not something to laugh about! Besides they shouldn’t spill my secrets like that. Privacy exists for a reason!” Taekwoon speaks in one breath, visibly upset at his friends and Jaehwan finds it cute.

“Don’t worry. I’m not laughing.”

“You were.”

“I did?”

“Tsk. You’re just as annoying as them.” Jaehwan laughs. Taekwoon’s face is just too cute as his mood becomes worse. “Whatever let’s just take a taxi and go home.” Taekwoon walks away to stop a taxi but is stopped by Jaehwan.

“Don’t take a taxi. Let’s just walk.”

“Walk? Are you sure?” Jaehwan nods.

“The weather is nice and it’s been a while since I went to walk at night like this.” He closes his eyes to feel the wind. “and you’re grumpy. Going for a walk can make you feel better.”

“I’m not grumpy.”

“Then how do you explain that frown on your face?” Jehwan touches Taekwoon’s forehead only to get slapped away by the older. He laughs before taking the latter’s hand. “Let’s go to Han river!”

 

---

 

“I wish I can get an ice cream.”

“Don’t look at me. I won’t buy you anything.”

Jaehwan pouts while hugging his knees, glaring at the older who is lying on the grass beside him.  “Stop whining, Jaehwan. Here, lay down beside me and enjoy the nature.”

“Enjoying nature is the best with ice cream.”

“Then go buy yourself.”

“But I don’t have money.” Jaehwan pouts again, making a sad kicked-puppy looking with Taekwoon sneering beside him.

“Stop looking at me with that face!” He finally sits up, reaching into his pocket to pull out some money and shoves it on Jaehwan’s face. The younger’s face brightens immediately before taking it and standing up, signaling Taekwoon to do the same but he gets ready to lay down again instead.

“Yah! Come on~”

“What?”

“Let’s go buy ice cream together!”

“Go buy yourself, Jaehwan. I don’t want to.” Taekwoon is about to close his eyes but Jaehwan crouch down, shaking the older until he hisses in annoyance.

“We have to buy together. That’s what we call a date.” Taekwoon raises a brow at Jaehwan’s words.

“A date?”

“Uh?” Jaehwan feels his face become hot as he realizes what he just said. “Well, we’re engaged. So, a date is not weird. Right?”

“Yeah…not weird.” Taekwoon nods, scratching his head awkwardly. “Fine. Do what you want.”

That is how Jaehwan drags Taekwoon to the nearest shop to buy ice cream for the two of them. And some minutes later, they are back. Sitting on the same spot side by side with a happy face plastered on Jaehwan’s face.

“When’s the last time you went on a date?” Taekwoon asks out of nowhere, receiving a surprise look from the younger. “It obviously not five years ago right? With- you know…”

“Woah. Are we really going to talk about that?”

“Oh. I’m sorry if you’re uncomfortable with it. I was just asking.” The older quickly looks away, mentally slap his face for asking the sensitive topic.

“No. Not really. Actually I was thinking about it too.” Jaehwan bits his spoon. “It’s funny how we’re going to get married when we still have problem with each other.”

“You’re right.” Taekwoon chuckles. He looks at Jaehwan who is looking at him too and they smile.

“So, who should tell a story first?” Jaehwan asks in a kindergarten teacher tone earning another chuckle from Taekwoon.

“I’m not someone who can tell a story. You ask and I’ll answer.” Jaehwan nods.

“Fine. How long did you date that person?”

“Three months.”

“Three months? Are you kidding me??” Jaehwan now is facing Taekwoon, the ice cream totally forgotten on the side.

“No. That was three months.” Taekwoon replies calmly. Jaehwan frowns, trying to find the lie but he finds none.

“You broke up and separated just like that after three months?”

“No. We become bestfriends.”

“Huh?” Jaehwan frowns even deeper at Taekwoon’s explanation. But the latter only nods and turns to look at Jaehwan, smiling.

“It’s Hakyeon, Jaehwan-ah.”

“WHAT??”

“We were bestfriends in college. Somehow, we grew some feelings on each other and dated for only three months. But we back to become bestfriends after that.”

Jaehwan blinks. Hakyeon? Cha Hakyeon? No wonder the voice and the name sounds familiar to Jaehwan. So that was five years ago…

 

     "Great!! I’ve made your favorite foods. Just be careful on your way, ok? I love you!"

     "I love you too, Hakyeon."

 

 Jaehwan scoffs, feeling annoyed. “Wow. You’re impossible!”

“Jaehwan-”

“I must’ve looked like a fool this whole day.”

“No. He never knows about us.”

“What?”

Now it is Taekwoon’s turn to scoff. “He doesn’t know about our past, Jaehwan.”

“So, he didn’t know that you’re cheating on me when you two were dating?” Jaehwan feels annoyed. It is obvious but even he does not know why. Maybe because he knows that the person he is supposed to hate was in front of him this whole day?

“He knows that. But he doesn’t know that the person I dated at that time was you.”

“He knows that but still agreed to date you?? Woah!” Jaehwan bits his lips to prevent another harsh remark.

“We had a reason about that.”

“A reason to cheat? Yeah sure.”

“Jaehwan.” Taekwoon’s stern voice calling his name makes Jaehwan shut up immediately. He looks anywhere but Taekwoon.

“Lee Jaehwan!”

Still no reply.

“Are you angry now?”

“No, I’m not.”

“Good. You better not because you don’t have any right to.” Jaehwan’s head snaps up and glare at the older. “Judging from that same thing you did in the past, I think you have no right to get angry.

Jaehwan bits his lips. He is still annoyed but Taekwoon is right. He is no better than both Taekwoon and Hakyeon. He cheated too.

“Where are you going?” Taekwoon asks when he sees Jaehwan standing up. The younger shrugs, still avoiding Taekwoon’s eyes.

“Go home. It’s late.” And he walks away leaving a frustrated Taekwoon who finally follows him.

“Do you want to take a taxi?”

“I’ll walk. You can take taxi if you want.”

“Fine. I’ll walk with you.” Taekwoon says casually, shoving his hands into his pocket when Jaehwan suddenly turns around.

“You’ll get tired, CEO-nim. Go take taxi and don’t mind me.” Taekwoon chuckles, annoyed Jaehwan is a cute Jaehwan.

“Don’t get me wrong. I’m not doing this because I’m worried that something might happen to you.” He walks pass Jaehwan and smiling secretly when he feels the younger following him. “I’m still waiting because you haven’t told me about that blue hair kid from five years ago.”

“Oh.” Jaehwan stops and Taekwoon stops too. He then turns around, standing face to face with the younger. He waits patiently until Jaehwan opens his mouth.

“He’s Kim Wonshik. We dated for one and a half year.” Taekwoon’s eyes narrow at Jaehwan’s confession. One and a half year?

“When I caught you guys on the train. How long you’d been together at that time?”

“Seven months, I think.” Jaehwan answers softly before asking the same question. “How about you? At that time…”

“Barely a month.” Taekwoon sees Jaehwan nods, biting his lips. “Did he know about us?”

“Huh? No. Wonshik knew nothing. He didn’t even know that I was dating another person at that time.”

“Woah. You’re a pro two-timer, Lee Jaehwan.” Taekwoon claps his hands as he turns around and starts walking again. Jaehwan follows behind.

“He was so upset when he found out. And that’s how we broke up. He told me to settle everything with you but we’d already separated at that time.” Taekwoon can hear a hint of sadness in Jaehwan’s tone. He snorts.

“What will you do if you meet him again?”

“I want to apologize.”

“And?”

“And?”

“That’s it? Only apologize?”

“What do you mean?”

“I thought you want to get back to him.” Taekwoon shrugs, crossing his hands at the back of his head. He hears rush footsteps behind him and the next thing he knows, he feels a painful hit on his back.

“What the ??”

“That’s for saying nonsense! There’s no way I’ll get back to him after I hurt him like that!”

“Ooh but you have no problem to get back to me after you hurt me too?”

“Seriously, Jung Taekwoon. What are you trying to say?” Jaehwan stands in front of Taekwoon, hands resting on his own hips with eyes piercing on the older’s. Taekwoon looks around awkwardly for a moment before clearing his throat.

“Whatever. Sorry for saying nonsense.” And he walks pass Jaehwan just like that, ignoring the latter’s groan as his shoulder bumps with him purposely.  

 

---

 

“Do you know the passcode to Hakyeon-ssi’s apartment?” Jaehwan asks as they step into the elevator. Taekwoon raises a brow at the question.

“Why are you asking?”

“No reason. Just want to know since he knows the passcode into our apartment.” Jaehwan shrugs. Now, he feels like burning everytime he hears or says that name.

“I know. We used to go to each other places a lot.” Taekwoon replies. “Seems like we need to change our passcode so no one will come in and out all they want.”

“You sure? I mean Hakyeon-ssi will-”

“Jaehwan-ah, it’s not only Hakyeon. It happens for Sanghyuk and my parents too.” Taekwoon sighs. “Do you hate Hakyeon that much? That was in the past. He’s my bestfriend now.“

“Bestfriends who were each other’s ex-es. Yeah, right.”

“Are you angry now?”

“I’m not!”

“You are.”

“Then why did you get angry over Wonshik?”

“When did I-”

“Just now! On our way back you didn’t even talk to me!”

Taekwoon scowls, he huffs in annoyance before sighing. “Fine. Forget it. We don’t get angry over anything and stop talking about them.”

“Deal.”

A ding sound stops their argument and they steps out of the elevator. They walk directly to their apartment to find the usually-empty next door apartment is opened. Maybe someone is moving in? But this late?

Taekwoon and Jaehwan look at each other and decide to visit the new neighbor first. Indeed, someone is moving in from the way dozen of boxes filling the apartment’s living room. Seems like this person is just coming in so he or she does not have time to unpack yet. But no one is seen around.

“Hello?” Jaehwan knocks politely. No reply. He looks at Taekwoon, signaling the other to do the same. He then clears his throat before speaking in his soft voice.

“Excuse me?”

“Oh, wait!” Both of them raise a brow at the somehow deep voice. So, a guy it is. Some moment later, a guy who is obviously younger than them, runs out from seemingly the bathroom and stumbles to stand in front of them. Their eyes widen at the sight and so as the guy’s as he speaks awkwardly.

“Hi, I’m uhm- I just move here. Do you live next door?” This kid is so handsome, Jaehwan thinks. But Jaehwan feels uncomfortable by the way those big brown eyes keep looking at Taekwoon and not even spare him a glance. Anyhow, both Taekwoon and Jaehwan nod at his question and Jaehwan internally squeal at his big smile, cute dimples showing on his cheeks.

“Then I’m your new neighbor, Lee Hongbin. Please take good care of me.”

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Finally Wonshik’s name is being mentioned! *sobs* and welcome to Hongbinnie~ *throws confetti*

Hakyeon too! He’s finally back after disappearing for two chapters!!

As usual, thank you for the new subscribers and KTsuki-chan, GavrieLagusty, and Randall98 for the comments! You guys are wonderful!! :* :*

So this chapter is about a little bit story about Keo's past relationship and we'll get to know more about the new neighbor in the next chapter.

I hope you enjoy this new chapter. See you~