Lesson 3: The Match

The Ultimate Class

"Are you sure about this? I mean, you've felt how strong he is before." Wayne asked worriedly. Dawn assured him with a confident nod. "You want to take over King's position? You'll have to go through me first." Wes interrupted. "I am the Vice-Leader after all."

"What are you, her dog?" Simon rolled his eyes. The class gave him death glares simultaneously. "Watch your mouth, new face." Wayne defended on behalf of Wes. "If I were you, I wouldn't want to offend him in any way."

"If you can't win against me, you'll never be able to win King." Wes smirked. "Isn't it right that you go against me before you challenge King?" Simon thought for a second before giving Wes a confident look. "I'll take up your challenge then." He turned to look at Dawn before continuing. "Little King, don't get too frightened and wait for me patiently, alright?"

"We'll see about that." Wes scoffed. "The match will be set after school at the Shadowshade. It'll be a one-to-one so I expect no one's interference."

"Finally something interesting happening in our class! Everyone has to be there, alright? I can't wait!" Riley exclaimed before noticing Win watching Simon intently. "Hey, Nerd. Why are you looking at him like that? You aren't actually interested in him, are you?" Win blinks in confusion as RIley's imagination runs wild...


"Come catch me, Simon baby~" Win jogs lightheartedly, the wind lightly brushing through his hair. "You'll get a prize for catching me~"

"A prize, huh? I can't wait to know what's in store for me." Simon winks at Win as he tries to catch up with Win. "I'm going to catch you~" Simon reaches his arms out and manages to grab Win by his arm. "I caught you, little Win! Now where is my prize?" Win giggles and wraps his arm around Simon's neck. "Your prize is...My lips." Win winks at Simon before leaning in to...


Riley shivered at the thought, giving Win a weird look. "What?" Win asked, unable to comprehend Riley's sudden behavior.

"No-Nothing." Riley stammered.

"You must be thinking of something weird again, aren't you?" Win squinted his eyes in suspicion. Riley shook his head in denial before scurrying back to his seat. Win gave him a warning look and went back to reading his book.

With soft steps, Alice tip-toed next to Riley. "What were you thinking about?" Riley jumped in surprise and blushed when he realized Alice's face was just right next to his. Riley backed away almost immediately and quickly grabbed a book to look as if he was busy reading it. Alice giggled in amusement and pointed out that he was holding the book upside-down. Riley's face flushed in embarrassment. "Sometimes, you're just so cute." Alice giggles. Riley blushed even more. He felt as though his heart was going to burst. He could hear his heartbeat and his face felt so hot. He tried his best to hide his red face from Alice. Although he's brave when it comes to challenges, but he's the total opposite when it comes to anything that involves Alice.

"I still don't get why you wouldn't confess to her." Ian comments nonchalantly. Riley cups his mouth swiftly and shushed him. "Are you trying to announce to the whole world?!" Ian slaps his hand away and shook his head in disapproval. Riley watches as Alice hops around the class to join in the conversations going on. He let out a deep sigh before turning to stare at his book.


"So this is the Shadowshade." Simon scans and analyzes the building. Tall walls that block out any sunlight from coming in... And it's eerily silent here. This is an interesting place. Simon thought to himself.

"If you're done exploring, shall I explain the rules of this match?" Wes followed behind. "Like I said before, I admit that you're strong and I can feel that your ultimate point is higher than mine. So to make this a fair match, I suggest we blindfold ourselves."

"A match depending on hearing. What a brilliant idea, Wayne." Dawn said in amazement and continued, "And I was still worried Wes would be at a disadvantage." Wayne smiled proudly.

"Why blindfold yourselves when it's already so dark?" Sylvie adjusts her glasses. "Isn't that unnecessary?"

Wes smiled, and answered gently. "You'll see why." He gave Simon a blindfold and passed his to Wayne. "Help me with this, will you?"

Simon threw his towards Dawn and signal her to help him. Dawn glared at him before smiling playfully. "Beg me." Simon rolled his eyes and snatched the blindfold away. He tried to tie the blindfold himself but it kept dropping. Dawn watched impatiently but could not tolerate anymore. She took the blindfold and tied it tightly around his head. "Have you not tie a blindfold before."

"Why would there be a need for me to tie a blindfold?" Simon retaliated.

"Like when you're giving your friend a surprise birthday party?" Dawn rolled her eyes.

"I don't make friends." Simon replied.

"Alright let me rephrase, then. Like when your parents plan a surprise party for you and you have to blindfold yourself first because I don't know, they are busy preparing?" Dawn crossed her arms. There was a moment of silence before Wes interrupted. "Are you done with your talk because I can't wait anymore."

"Bring it on." Simon announced the start of the match and the audiences backs away. Wes started by attacking with a low kick which Simon manages to dodge before pushing a punch towards Wes but missed. "Not bad." Wes smirked. "Now let's see if you can dodge this." He creates a ball of fire in his right hand and throw it towards Simon swiftly. Simon shifts to avoid getting hit. This repeated a few times until Wes screams all of a sudden and throws a fireball which hits Simon on his left shoulder.

"Now I get why you suggested to blindfold ourselves." Simon smiled although he was hurt. "Now that you've revealed your Element power, I shall not hold back any longer." Just as he finishes his sentence, Simon reached his hands out to each side. Droplets of water hardened and turned into thousand of ice blades pointing towards Wes.

"He can create ice blades out of moisture in the atmosphere?!" Wayne watches worriedly. "I did not expect this. He is strong." Dawn gave him a pat on the shoulder and assured him. "Wes isn't weak either. Have some faith in him, will you?"

Wes caught a few ice blades clink and quickly comprehends the situation. He draws a large circle with his hands and for a shield of fire just in time to block the ice blades shooting towards him. All the ice blades hit the fire shield and melts immediately, forming a pool of water beneath him. Simon quickly took the chance to harden the pool of water and trapped Wes inside. Wes struggled to free his legs but to no avail. He crossed his forearms in front of him in defense as Simon charges a few ice balls towards him, leaving wounds on his forearms.

Wes quickly melted the ice around his legs and shifted away. He tried to stealth behind Simon but failed when he accidentally steps onto an ice blade which made a sound, revealing his location. Simon turned around and swinged his arms to hit Wes who managed to dodge. Both fought barehandedly before Simon backs away and creates an ice sword. Wes recognizes the sound and made a rod out of fire. Wes spins his fire rod to defend Simon's attack but Simon managed to hit his rod away but the sword just before Wes' neck. He pulls away the sword and give Wes a quick punch, causing him to fall to the ground.

"You won." Wes wipes the blood from his mouth. Dawn and Wayne rushes forward to help him up and made sure he was fine. "It's been long since I had such a good fight." Wes smiled as Wayne removes his blindfold. Simon smiled back and struggles to untie his blindfold. "I think he needs a little help there, Dawn." Wes lightly pushed Dawn forward and shooed her away playfully. Dawn rolled her eyes at Wes but helps Simon.

"We'll have our match another day. You guys need some rest." Dawn said as she checks on Wes' injury. "Bring him to the first aid room. Make sure you clean his wounds thoroughly. With lots of pressure. Make it as torturing as you can." Wes looked as Wayne and then to Dawn, fear reflected on his face. The class laughed at the scene.

"I'll go with you. I'm better at treating wounds. You have to do a thorough job for this kind of wounds or it'll leave scars." Sylvie stood forward. Wayne nodded and helped Wes to the first aid room with Sylvie following behind.

Dawn was about to speak when she noticed Simon leaving. "Hey. Wait up!" She caught up with Simon and stopped him from going any further. "You're coming with me." With this, Dawn grabbed Simon by his arm and pulled him along.

"Where are you bringing me?" Simon asked, trying to sound nonchalant.

"To the hospital, of course." Dawn answered. "You were burnt by Wes' fireball. Don't tell me it doesn't hurt because I experienced it before."

Simon looked at Dawn, slightly surprised. "You were hit by his fireball?"

"We were curious about our powers so we played around a little." Dawn replied. "We were very young then so don't judge."

Simon freed his arm from Dawn's grab. "But I don't see the need to go all the way to the hospital for a small burn. I can handle this."

"If you don't get it treated, the wound will only get bigger. The burnt doesn't stop until you cure it properly." Dawn warned. "And we're not going to just any muggle hospital. We're going to a hospital specially for Element users like us."

"There is a hospital specially for Element users? Why haven't I heard of it?" Simon asked.

Dawn rolled her eyes. "Just follow me."

Simon raised an eyebrow. "How did you know of this hospital?"

"My dad founded it." Dawn answered before she continues to walk. Simon notices a change in her expression but decided not to ask and followed behind quietly.