Time to Pay the Piper

Let Me Save You

Charges were filed against Ah Seong-ho... that was the name of the Bastard!!! It had been two hours since the incident and Dongwoo had yet to calm down. The happy go lucky doctor was not one to get angry, but when he did... Everyone stayed out of his path. His beautiful pink hair was standing up in all directions from him running his fingers through it, in frustration. It was a wonder there wasn't a path carved into his floor from all the pacing. Being this angry, he had to get away from Miho, until he was feeling a little bit cooler again. Abuse of women and children were his pet peeves. Aigoo!! Children!!  That's what he needed to calm down.... Pulling out his Dino costume, Dongwoo got ready to go down to the pediatrics ward for a natural cure to his anger. Nothing could calm him down like his babies. 

Her arm was throbbing again, that's what woke Miho up this time. She had been right, she had broken her arm again, hurting some ligaments in the process too. Her arm had had to be reset for the new break. She pressed the button for assistance as she needed help now with the pain. A smiling Nurse Lee came in "I come bearing gifts of pain relief" she teased. Miho smiled in appreciation. "Don't worry babe, I'll have you pain free in no time" she promised, pushing Miho's hair behind her ear. She sighed at the instant relief "Gomawo..," Miho started to apologise for Seong-ho "Mianhae..about" Nurse Lee shook her head as she patted Miho's shoulder "Annio, you are not responsible for that maniac's actions. Do not give him that power" she said. Miho lowered her eyes but nodded sadly in agreement. "It is my fault though" she thought. "Doctor D?" She asked timidly. Nurse Lee shook her head ruefully, "We know to stay clear of him if he ever gets angry and this is the worse I have ever seen. Don't worry he'll be back once he has gotten everything under control". Miho's last thought as she let the meds take over was that she hadn't done a great job protecting anyone.

"The dinosaur was back" was Miho's thought as she struggled against the medicine induced sleep. "And why is he... I think it's a he... Why is he checking my drip? A Dinosaur doctor?" She tried to speak through dry lips and only managed a small groan, to which the dinosaur turned. "Ahhh you are awake? Are you in any pain?" Doc D asked, raising a brow at her silence. Minho's mouth dropped open as she realized so many things. "The Dinosaur was Doc D... Doc D was  the dinosaur... It was a costume... She hadn't dreamed him...Omo!! He was the one who caught her in the parking lot.. He prevented her from hitting the ground" she tried to focus and realized that Doc D was talking to her. "Are you okay? Here have some ice chips, your mouth must be dry" he said as he placed some ice into her open mouth and then closed it with the tip of a finger, grinning at her.

Feeling more like himself, Dongwoo finished checking up on Miho, glad that he had been able to prevent greater damage. The stunned look on her face he assumed was from his Dino costume. He hadn't taken the time to change out of it, before coming to her room. "Are you feeling okay" he tried asking again and smiled at her nod. "Your vitals are all stable. Are you in any pain?" At the shake of her head "No? Ok then it's time you answered some questions for me" he stated emphatically with no room for negotiations. He decided to stand for this inquisition as the Dino tail didn't allow for much sitting. "Seong-ho" he grunted the name out "He is your boyfriend?" She shook her head again, not speaking. He decided to try another question "Who is he to you?" He asked.

"Time to pay the piper" Miho thought looking at this hot doctor. "How the hell can he still look hot, dressed in a dinosaur costume?" She shook her head to clear her thoughts blushing as he waited patiently. "Step-father" she said through gritted teeth. "Step-father" Doc D cursed at that. Miho decided that he deserved to know the whole sad story. "I lost my dad, in a car accident when I was seven. He was our whole world, but not very practical it seems, cause we were left destitute. My mother fell apart or off the rails as it were. From being a housewife, she became no better than a " Miho spat out angrily. She started drinking and went from man to man, as long as they could keep the alcohol flowing. I became the parent making sure she ate and still ensuring that I went to school." 

Dongwoo's heart was breaking more and more as she spoke. Tears had already formed in his eyes and he reached for her clenched fingers, rubbing them soothingly, hoping to give some comfort. "I knew that my education was my only means of survival of escape. I guess the one good thing she did was that she never brought them home, but then she was very loose with her fists instead...clever though... Never where anyone could see any marks" she said emotionlessly. Dongwoo automatically tightened his grip on her hand. In his line of work he had heard his share of horror stories, but this was personal. He already felt like he had a vested interest. Intertwining his fingers with hers, he held that hand with both of his.

She was so deep into her memories, but Miho still felt the comfort coming off in waves from this warm man. "It was a tough childhood, no doubts, there were days with no food, but I survived... I am a survivor" she said looking into his wet eyes. He smiled at her and nodded "You are a survivor" he agreed. "When I was old enough or looked old enough" she said shrugging "I got a part time job, so no more dieting for me" she grinned in self derision "as long as I could hide the money.. There were some close calls, but I passed and got a full time job. By this time she was a full blown alcoholic & I was her only chance at survival. Until six months ago that is.Enter Seong-ho stage left. He is a private investigator. Can you believe that?" She asked in disgust. Not waiting for a response she continued "Seems like mother dearest was the long lost heir to a little money. Seong-ho was hired to track her and he found the perfect opportunity. While I was away on business, he had tracked my mother and by the time I got back they were married and I had a step-father. A very clever step-father, one who was even more loose with his fists. So I became his personal punching bag."

Tears were freely flowing down Dongwoo's face as he listened to his brave broken angel. "Waeyo? Why couldn't you leave?" He whispered desperately. He was stunned that she could still smile, as she leaned forward using her plastered hand to wipe away his tears. "Because he threatened to kill her. She's may be broken but she's still my mother" she said with a sad smile. "I was a cocky one, so I tested him, I left." She closed her eyes and leaned her head back, squeezing his hand before continuing "She landed in hospital in a worse condition than me. Apparently she missed a step and fell down a flight of stairs, but I knew better. I saw through his worried husband routine. I moved back in. I couldn't understand why he just didn't kill her and be done with it.. That is until a few days ago. It appears that in one of her lucid moments, my mother had made me her sole beneficiary. She had moved what money he hadn't wasted into a secure account and given me Power of Attorney. But now she's disappeared and I don't know where she is. I hope that she's getting help, but I don't know....When he found out, that's when he went ballistic and here I am" she said sighing. It actually was a relief to get that off her chest. 

Dongwoo reached over and took her into his arms in the gentlest of hugs. He couldn't believe how much she had survived and swore to himself that she would never suffer again, as long as he was around and he planned to be around her for a long time.  She held herself stiffly, not rejecting yet not accepting his hug either. Dongwoo maintained the hug and stayed still hovering over her. He was still crying in sympathy and saw his tears fall in slow motion onto her face. 

Miho felt like she was telling this story about someone else, as a third party, like a robot. She was still in shock she thought as Doc D, leaned over her. She pulled back defensively only to realize he was hugging her. This was so alien to her,  she was a child when she got her last hug... When her dad was still around. Holding herself still, she closed her eyes as she didn't know how to react. Ottoke!! Miho felt something wet and warm on her face and opened her eyes... Omo!! Tears, it was tears.. This beautiful human was crying. Crying for her worthless self. Annio, he shouldn't... He mustn't. Something burst within her. She reached awkwardly around this dinosaur man, barely able to get her hands as far as onto his arms, in a return hug. Her body started to shake... Getting worse until it was like she was having convulsions. And then the dam burst allowing her to release the floodgates on her tears. She cried for her past and she cried for her mother. Miho cried for all that she had endured and she cried for the hurt that this gentle angel was feeling on her behalf. She just let go and cried out all her pain and sorrow and through it all, she was held and comforted by a dinosaur doctor.