For when you're coming to see me

For when you need me

“Mom, are you ready to go?” Myung looked at his mother as he placed her coat over her shoulders, watching her put one of his father’s notes into the pocket. He smiled.

 

“Another note from dad? Did he write for this too?”

SunHee smiled and nodded at him, “He wrote for everything, remember?”

Myung nodded, stepping in front of her to open the front door. “Are you sure you’re ready?”

SunHee nodded once more at him, having the sudden feeling of guilt overtake her.

“It’s been way too long since I’ve gone. I’m sure he’s quite lonely up there...even if you go to see him every now and then…”

Myung nodded again, watching his mother’s eyes as they slowly drifted off into nothingness. “Shall we go, then? I’m sure he’ll love to see your beautiful face again,” he smiled, teasing his mother and gaining himself a grin from her.

“Just get in the car,” SunHee mumbled and watched as Myung grabbed the keys from the plate on her desk beside the front door and made his way out.

Looking up at the sky SunHee could see it slowly turning dark. The clouds were turning into a gray color and the wind began smelling of fresh rain about to hit. She smiled to herself and got into the passenger seat of the car.

“What a perfect day to come and see you, don’t you think?”

Myung started the car and SunHee watched the sky for a bit longer before grabbing the letter from her pocket.

“You’re going to read it now?” the boy questioned his mother and she turned to look at him, holding the letter up for him to see.

“For when you’re coming to see me’. I can only imagine he meant for me to read this before I got there, not after.”

Myung nodded and turned his gaze back to the road ahead of him. He reached and turned the radio on to fill the silence, leaving his mother at peace to read the note his father had left for her.

Looking down at the envelope, SunHee could feel a small smile cross her lips once again. She could only imagine what Kyung had to say to her this time. Tearing it open, she took the letter out and started to read once more.






Annyeong, my angel

 

How long has it been since you’ve decided to come see me? I’m quite curious….I don’t blame you if you haven’t come at all, and after all this time you’ve finally decided to come see me. I’m not sure I would have been able to come to see you, either. Looking down at a pile of dirt where supposedly my beautiful wife was buried underneath….I completely understand. It would break my heart all over again, just like yours probably will. I’ll need you to realize that yes, I’m actually buried under all of that dirt...or at least what’s left of me. Yes, that skeleton down there was once me. Yes, I’m still dead, but no, I’ll never stop loving you. I won’t tell you not to cry. I’d be asking too much of you if I did that. I also won’t ask you to come and visit me more often. I know you probably can’t bring yourself to come too often. I would like to ask you for a small favor, though. Do you remember that flower that I used to always stick in your hair during the spring time, and you’d always blush before smiling and turning your head? Would you bring me one of those and stick it into my grave? I would really love to see you with them again. They looked so beautiful on you.

When you get there, remember. It’s just a pile of dirt now. I’m long gone, but I’m still watching over you, making sure you live the rest of your days out happily until you don’t need me anymore. Don’t be too sad at the grassy space with the headstone that reads my name, okay? If you’re happy, I’m happy.

 

                I will love you until you won’t need me anymore, your Kyungie




 

SunHee sniffed away the tears threatening to escape and smiled sadly at the note, holding it tightly to her chest.

“Kyungie, I’ll always need you, idiot.”

Myung turned to look at his mother. Upon seeing the sad smile combined with the teary eyes, he began to worry. “Are you okay?”

SunHee smiled and him.

“We need to stop and pick up some Korean hibiscus before we go. Please? I know the perfect field for them.”

Myung, not questioning his mother’s request, nodded. Following her directions, the pair took a few turns until they arrived at a beautiful field that he could have sworn had jumped straight out of a story book.

A small, now broken down fence surrounded the area with hibiscus plants growing along it. A single, large tree stood in the middle on top of a hill. The wind blew lightly as the smaller flowers in the field swayed along with it turning the sight into one of the most amazing things Myung had ever set his eyes upon. His mother smiled as he parked the car and opened her door. Looking at the memories ahead of her that spread all along the field, SunHee could feel her heart starting to ache.

“It’s been years since I’ve seen this place. Good to know it hasn’t changed too much.”

“Mom, was this….”

SunHee grinned and nodded, “Mine and your father’s secret hiding place? Yes. It was. We spent many days, and sometimes even nights, here doing absolutely nothing. Sometimes we had picnics and talked about our future together, while other days we just goofed off and fell asleep staring at the stars. It was beautiful.”

Myung stared at the field, his gaze only turning to his mother as she she approached the fence.

“Are you sure it’s okay to just go in there?”

“Why wouldn’t it be? It’s in our name.”

Myung’s eyes widened and he became silent.

“I’m sorry I never told you about this place….after so long I forgot about it myself, honestly. Kyung, back when he was alive, had saved all of his money just to buy this place from its original owner. He knew how much I loved it because I told him every time we passed it, so he made it his goal to buy it for me one day….and he did. This is ours….and once I’m gone, it’ll be yours. I’m sure your wife and kids will love it just as much as we have at one point.”

“When you’re gone? What do you mean?” Myung questioned his smiling mother.

“Myung, I love you, but...I won’t live for forever, ya know. Everything and everyone dies one day,” SunHee mumbled under her breath as she picked a few flowers off of the shrubs, holding one up to the sun and staring at it.

 

‘They’re beautiful...but they’ll never be as beautiful as you’

 

SunHee could hear his voice in the back of her mind and smiled.

“Let’s go. He’s waiting,” she said quietly, holding the flowers closely to her on their way back to the car.

Myung stared at the field for a few more minutes before following his mother back. Watching her, he saw her eyes glow at the sight of those flowers, a smile crossing his own face before he even knew it. Starting the car once more, they followed the road back as it slowly lead them to their destination.

As they arrived, SunHee looked over the graveyard, her heart feeling as if it weighed ten tons at the moment. The gray skies easily matched her emotions as the raindrops slowly fell and landed on the windshield of the car. She smiled and shook her head.

“And here I thought you’d be happy to see me, Kyungie. Have you missed me that much?” Grabbing the umbrella from the back seat, SunHee opened it and stepped out of the car.

“Do you want me to come with you?”

SunHee shook her head at Myung and smiled a little. “I want to do this alone. It’s been years since I’ve been here, but I’m positive I still know my way there.”

Myung nodded at his mother. “Please, mom, don’t stay out for too long. It’s starting to rain and I’d hate for you to get sick. We can always come back tomorrow when the weather's nicer.”

She smiled and looked up at the sky, feeling the raindrops hit her face now.

“He won’t let me come here on a nice day. He’s still crying over the fact that it took me so long to come see him. Crying because he had no choice but to leave us. Crying because he never got to meet you. He’s too sad to let it ever be nice when I come here.” She grinned brightly, hoping that her own tears would go unnoticeable in the rain.

Saying goodbye to her son who promised to wait for her until she came back, SunHee made her way through the graveyard, reading a tombstone or two every now and then as she went further and further.

She stopped at a tombstone in the back. It was one that was very well kept with several different flowers beside it, none being the one he wanted to see, though. The one Kyung had asked her to bring. Kneeling in the grass in front of the tombstone, she stuck all but one of the flowers into this grave, keeping the last one to put into her hair just like he used to do for her. She smiled sadly this time, feeling her tears drip from her eyes and fall onto his grave one after another until they turned into a waterfall being covered up by a terrible smile.

“Park Kyung. My one and only love. Do you still think I look beautiful with these?”




 

“Come here! I want to try something.” Kyung smiled brightly and grabbed one of the flowers from the shrubs before heading back up the hill to where SunHee was sitting on a blanket under the tree. She eyed him for a minute but grinned as he put the flower into her hair. “Absolutely beautiful. Even though no flower will ever be able to compare to you.”

SunHee blushed at his words and turned her head staring down at the ground to hide her red face. Gently placing his hand under her chin, Kyung pulled it back to face him looking directly into her eyes and smiling.

“You really need to stop doing that. You look so pretty when you’re blushing.”

“Yah. Stop being cheesy,” SunHee mumbled under her breath, lightly punching his arm.

Kyung laughed at her and pulled her tightly to him. Falling backwards, she landed with her head on his chest. Looking up at the beautiful sky, she laughed.

“You’re such a dork.”

Kyung smiled and nodded as he wrapped his arm around her. “Yeah, but I’m your dork. Yours and yours alone, while you’re my beautiful angel. What did I ever do to be this lucky?”

SunHee smiled and curled into him. “I could ask you the same thing.”

“SunHee….let’s stay together forever. Okay?” Kyung’s grip tightened around her and she nodded into his chest.

“Forever and always,” she whispered before looking up at him with a smile. She could see the small smile on his face and grinned brighter. “That serious look doesn’t suit you at all. Let me help you.”

Leaning up she gently placed her lips onto his, pulling him in for a deep, sweet kiss. She could feel him smiling into it as he held onto her, never wanting to let go. Pulling away she stared up at her now brightly smiling boyfriend.

“See, that smile looks so much better on you!”

Kyung stared at her. “Seriously, how did I ever get this lucky?”

Grinning, he placed SunHee’s head back onto his chest. She listened to his heartbeat while watching the wind sway the flowers back and forth throughout the field.

“I hope this never ends, Kyung. I love you,” she mumbled under her breath before falling asleep in his arms.

He smiled and kissed the top of her head before running his hand through her hair. “I love you more.”