Chapter 4

Fallen Leaves

Hayoung sat on her bed, beside the window. She turned her head to look at the tall oak tree outside. It was starting to bloom once again and a sudden feeling of nostalgia struck her. She reminisced the days when she would climb up that tree with her older sister and her childhood friends.

 

“Oh Hayoung come back down this instant!” Hayoung’s mother shouted at the little 8-year-old Hayoung who was sitting on one of the branches of the tall oak tree outside their house. She had a spatula on her hand and wore an apron over her gangly body. Hayoung’s mom used to be a model in her younger days but after her older sister was born, she quitted and resorted to helping her husband in their business instead.

 

“Eh? You might hit me with your spatula.” Hayoung said, terrified that her mom might hit her once she goes down.

 

“What made you think that? Go down now unless you want me to climb up there and drag you here!”

 

“Alright! Alright!” Hayoung quickly lowered herself down the tree and prepared to jump. She first checked if the distance between her and the ground was jumpable before she did so. She innocently smiled at her mother who looked furious.

 

“I told you not to jump! You little menace! You never listen to me, huh?!” Hayoung’s mother quickly went up to her youngest daughter and pinched her ear. Hayoung screamed in pain while her older sister and childhood friends just laughed at her.

 

“Good old days.” Hayoung heartily laughed. She was once a troublemaker when she was still a kid but as she grew up, she started to mature and behave more.

 

Hayoung checked the time on her watch only to see that the time was already 6:50 in the morning. She rushed downstairs and quickly went to the medicine cabinet. With her hand raised up, she reached for a certain glass medicine bottle and poured down a pill on her hand. The sight of the white circle pill disgusted her and it even disgusted her more that she had to put this inside . If it wasn’t for her doctor threatening her that she would guard her 24/7 and confine her in the hospital if she didn’t drink her medicine, she would never have even touched the bottle. Her nose scrunched up as she put the medicine inside . Its bitterness started to spread out on her tongue and she had to empty down a glass of water with closed eyes to lessen the bitter taste and help her swallow it.

 

><><>< 

 

“So what happened to you over the weekend?” Eunji, Hayoung’s roommate asked while they walked to their first class of the day.

“New people moved in and I told you that my parents were on a business trip right?” Hayoung asked Eunji who nodded. “They told me to give the welcome present alone to the neighbors. You know how I’m really shy with people I just met and awkward?”

 

“So you only gave them the gift and came running back home because you didn’t know what to talk about and you were really shy.” Eunji knew her best friend so much that she already knew what happened. She face-palmed and shook her head, ready to scold Hayoung about being so shy.

 

“No.”

 

“Then when you got home, you immediately called your parents saying that you, wait what?!” Eunji said, getting louder at the end. She stopped walking and so did Hayoung.

 

“No, that didn’t happen and besides I’m not exactly like that. You’re so mean to me.” Hayoung pouted at Eunji who was still shocked.  Eunji looked as if she had just seen a ghost pass by.

 

“So you mean tha-that you actually ta-talked to them a-as in co-conversed?!” Eunji stuttered with large eyes, making actions with her hands. It wasn’t like Hayoung to talk to people she isn’t close with. She would often just say a few words but to converse? That would so not be Hayoung.

 

“They were really bubbly and friendly.” Hayoung muttered. Eunji still couldn’t believe it and she continued to stare at Hayoung in disbelief. Hayoung rolled her eyes at her friend and continued walking. Eunji didn’t move an inch and followed Hayoung with her eyes, still in shock.

 

“If you’re still not moving, I’m going to leave you already. Bye.” Hayoung stated without looking back. Eunji came back to her senses and immediately rushed to Hayoung clinging onto the taller girl’s arm with a chuckle.

 

“Funny joke, Hayoung. I know you love me.” Eunji confidently said and puckered her lips as if trying to kiss Hayoung but Hayoung pushed her forehead and laughed.

 

“Alright. Alright. Stop it with those faces.” She said to Eunji who was trying to do aegyo which to Hayoung, looked really ugly.

 

“But serious-“ Eunji got cut off by a male who shouted Hayoung’s name. Hayoung and Eunji both turned to look at the owner of the voice. The male waved with a grin at Hayoung. Eunji gaped in shock once more.

 

“Sehun, what are you doing here? Don’t you have classes?” Hayoung asked the tall male who approached her. She knew that his building was quite far from hers and that he had nothing to do in her building unless he wanted to…visit her? Hayoung mentally shook her head. Impossible.

 

“I have a friend who has the same major as you and my next class is still two hours from now so I have time to roam around.” Sehun chuckled softly, his chest vibrating.

 

“Ah. Good for you.” Hayoung tried to find words to say. Told you. Stop assuming stuff Oh Hayoung!

 

“Hm? Why?”

 

“You get to have two hours for an interval. The maximum I have is an hour and thirty minutes.” Hayoung complained. Eunji continued to watch the two in disbelief, her eyes shifting from Sehun’s face to Hayoung’s then back to Sehun’s again.

 

“I guess I’m lucky then? By the way, what time does your class start? Do you want to hang out with us for a while?”

 

“In…” Hayoung checked her watch before continuing. “10 minutes. Right unnie, do you have something to cram?”

 

“Heol. You only noticed me now, huh?” Eunji pouted. Hayoung muttered a sorry. She knew that Eunji wanted to introduce her to the handsome guy in front of them and she got the signal.

 

“Um…Unnie this is Sehun. Sehun this is Eunji unnie.” Hayoung introduced the two. Eunji took her hand out, saying that they were probably the same age anyways so there was no need to bow. Sehun shook it and smiled.

 

“We’ll get going now.” Hayoung said after a while and dragged Eunji with her.

 

When they were finally seated in class, Eunji looked at Hayoung with narrowed eyes as if asking her to explain with crossed arms.

 

“Later.” Hayoung whispered when their professor arrived.


A/N: Short author's note since I'm posting on a weekend although I'm not supposed to. It's been long since I've updated. I'm really really sorry for the slow updates but school is just getting in the way of me updating huhu. But anyways, I hope you like this chapter. Please feel free to comment any suggestions or just whatever hehe^^ I made chapter 5 already but I'm not yet going to post it since it's still not final yet (yes sad to say that I am one of those authors who doesn't make a lot of chapters right away, I'm the type who does it as I go like one by one lol do you get me? haha XD) Oh and btw, the day for the giving of our report cards is on Friday and I'm so freaking scared for my life huhu. I don't wanna get a C nor a D. I'll be so dead if I get one. :(((

 

See you soon (hopefully)!!!