Chapter 3

Fallen Leaves

The warm hot chocolate tasted sweet, too sweet for Hayoung's liking but she didn't complain. Instead, she smiled and said that the drink tasted good. Hana beamed at her as she was the one who made the drink. She thought that Hayoung liked it when deep inside, the poor girl was cringing because of the sweetness. Maybe the bitterness of coffee would taste better than the sweetness of Hana's hot chocolate.

 

Sehun watched with a scared face as Hayoung drank some more. He knew how much his sister liked to make her drinks sweet to the extent that you feel like cringing and it was not a good feeling. Although the boy had a sweet tooth, Hana was just too much and he often scolded the little girl about putting too much sugar, telling her that she would get diabetes if she kept this up. Hana would only roll her eyes at her brother.

 

“Is it good?” Hana asked Hayoung who finished the drink within three unforgettable sips. She tried to finish it as fast as she can so that it would end soon. Oh, how she wished life was like that but ending it wouldn’t be good, would it? Besides, what was the fun in that?

 

“It was very delicious.” Hayoung beamed. I wanted to cringe.

 

“Then I'll go make some more!” Hana excitedly announced but before she could run to the kitchen, Hayoung had already grabbed her wrist. Hana looked at Hayoung curiously.

 

“It's fine. Just get me water instead.” I don’t ever want to drink it again.

 

“Alright! Oppa don't bully unnie!” Hana warned her brother who felt wrongly accused.

 

“You brat! I'm not that type of person!” Sehun shouted back at the disappearing figure. He shook his head and shyly rubbed his nape. “Sorry about that.”

 

Hayoung only giggled. They were definitely siblings. Just earlier, she found out that the Oh Hana she met yesterday at the park was also Oh Sehun’s little sister. They didn’t really have that much similarities besides being good-looking and being trolls.

 

She didn’t get to see Hana yesterday because she was sleeping and her parents didn’t want to wake her up but when Hana met Hayoung, she immediately hugged the elder and clung unto her as if they were never going to meet again. Hayoung smiled.

 

Sehun studied her features as she smiled. Hayoung looked like a foreigner with her big eyes that didn’t really form into small little crescents like the others and tall nose bridge. Hayoung also had this aura that shouts mysterious. Like there was something more to her and it was definitely not good that her aura was alluring Sehun to know more about his neighbor. What was her profession? Where did she graduate? Does she have a boyfriend? Questions started to fill up Sehun’s mind and he went between wondering if ever it will get answered to scolding himself mentally for being this nosy. What was so different about Hayoung anyways?

 

While Sehun looked deep in his own thoughts, Hayoung had already stopped giggling She watched the boy in front of her furrow his eyebrows from time to time. He looked so deep in thought that he hadn’t noticed Hayoung’s eyes on him so when he looked up, he was surprised to meet a pair of beautiful brown eyes, staring into his own. Realizing what she was doing, Hayoung quickly looked away, faking a cough. It was awkward, they both knew that but it was a beautiful moment despite being short and Sehun wondered if he could ever stare into her eyes again.

 

“Here’s your water!” Just like every awkward situation, there would always be one person to break it. In this case, it was Hana who was oblivious of the atmosphere.

 

“Thank you.” Hayoung said. Not only did she thank Hana for the water but for saving her from the awkwardness too but Hana didn’t know that.

 

“Ah yes. Alright. No, it’s fine. Yes. Okay.” Sehun’s mom said as she held her phone to her ear. It seemed as if something bad just happened. She looked sadly at the confused Hayoung. “I’m sorry but something happened. Hana’s competition was moved to an earlier date and her coach has requested that she train today. Would it be alright if you just go with Sehun, Hayoung-ah?”

 

“Oh? It can’t be helped then.” Hayoung said. She shortly glanced at Sehun who looked at his parents in disbelief. Sehun knew that his parents were setting him up again. It’s not that he didn’t like Hayoung. Hayoung’s a great girl but he just didn’t want his parents to play matchmaker. He wanted to get the girl without his parents’ help.

 

“EH?! WHY?!” Hana whined loudly. She didn’t want to train today. Out of all the times she could train, why now? Her parents immediately dragged her, saying that they were in a hurry.

 

“Have fun!” Sehun’s mom grinned at the two before exiting. Hayoung and Sehun fitted each other in a lot of ways and she was definitely rooting for the both of them.

 

“Let’s go?” Hayoung unsurely asked after Ji Eun exited. Truth to be told, Hayoung didn’t want to be left with Sehun alone. They were mere acquaintances and she was afraid that the atmosphere would be awkward from start to end. These were the times that Hayoung hated being an introvert.

 

“Let’s go.” Sehun smiled and stood up, leading Hayoung on.

 

><><>< 

 

“Do you want to grab some bubble tea for a while?” Sehun asked Hayoung as he saw his favorite bubble tea shop near them. He was hoping that Hayoung would agree.

 

“Sure.” To his desire, Hayoung agreed.

 

“Let’s go over there!” Sehun happily said and dragged Hayoung along by circling his large hands on Hayoung’s tiny wrist. It was a simple and common gesture yet Hayoung felt weird. The warm feeling of Sehun’s hands on her wrist made her heart flutter. It made her feel secure for some weird reason.

 

“Good afternoon!” a waitress greeted the two a few seconds after they settled down to a table beside the glass window. She handed Hayoung and Sehun a menu each.

 

“We have a bubble tea set for couples. Would you like to try that?” She asked and turned Hayoung’s menu to the page where the couple set was located. A blush suddenly crept up to Sehun and Hayoung’s cheeks with the waitress giggling.

 

“We-we’re not a couple!” Hayoung immediately denied. They weren’t even friends yet so how could they be called a couple?

 

Sehun nodded vigorously at what Hayong said although he found it cute for the waitress to mistake them as a couple. Did they really fit each other that much?

 

“Oh? You look like one though.” The waitress was obviously disappointed. “Then please choose what you want. I’m sorry.”

 

With that said, Hayoung and Sehun started to order their drinks. They stayed at the store for quite some time chatting. They found out that the both of them attended the same university. While Sehun took business as his course, Hayoung took fine arts as hers. They weren’t shocked that they didn’t knew each other since their buildings were quite far from each other. Sehun also learned Hayoung’s older sister was currently on a business trip with her parents, explaining why she was the only one who went to their house yesterday.

 

Throughout the time they spent together while chatting in the bubble tea shop, Sehun felt that Hayoung was a bit distant. There were times that she would stare deeply into the glass window like she was thinking about something serious. Hayoung knew that and she tried her best to focus on their conversation but she just can’t help but to stare at the blooming plants. It was spring and everything was starting to bloom again, giving hope. She also can’t help but notice the people passing by outside. They walked fast. Most people did. It was as if they were always in a hurry. With that therefore, they don’t really get to appreciate much of their surroundings. They don’t really get to appreciate the small things in life such as how the flowers would bloom during spring. It was a beautiful sight but unfortunately, only a few could see it. It was like trying to see the good in a criminal behind bars. Most people like seeing what they only can and they never try to get past that. They think that it’s useless to find out the good in a criminal behind bars since he is already a prisoner but Hayoung was different. She tried to see past her line of vision and only a few were like her. They don’t last long, however…

 

><><>< 

 

They were only supposed to go around the center of the town but Sehun insisted that they go to the peripheries of it. They ended up in the hillside of the town. It was one of the attractions there but only a few visited it. There, they got to see the stars better.

 

“Do you often go here?” Sehun asked. He was amazed by the view. It was lovely in all aspects and Sehun knew that he was going to come here often.

 

“Mm hm. Sometimes, I come here to see the sunset or I just go stargazing. Other times, to see the sunrise or to just simply escape from life for a moment.” Hayoung said with her eyes twinkling. She often came here alone and it was her secret place but now that Sehun knew about it, it wasn’t that secret anymore. Unexpectedly, she was fine with Sehun knowing about it though. Hayoung had always thought that she would need to find a new place if someone knew about this paradise of hers but surprisingly it wasn’t true. Maybe it was because of the reason that it was Oh Sehun who found out about it or maybe it was fate. Either of the two, it’s peculiar.

 

A large blanket of silence enveloped them moments after. It felt nice to their ears. It wasn’t deafening nor was it sweet. It was just comfortable and the both of them felt that.

 


 

A/N: Belated Merry Christmas to everyone! So, how did you guys spend Christmas? Honestly, I didn't feel Christmas at all. Time flies by so fast and it's hard to get used to. I feel like every year it speeds up, don't you? 

 

I dropped a few somethings in this chapter lol. I'm sorry if the updates are quite slow but I will try to update faster although I can't promise that I will update on a regular schedule, I'll do my best to finish this fanfic. Fighting!

 

 

I'm so proud of Taemin!!! *claps wildly like a seal*