Chapter 1

Fallen Leaves

I do.

Hayoung shut close the book gently and closed her eyes. She lifted her head up and felt the cool gentle wind touch her skin. She checked the book on her book checklist mentally and made sure to buy a new one later. She also told herself to buy a hard cover one even though if it was more expensive than the regular ones. You could say that Hayoung wanted the best when it comes to books. No matter what the cost, she was willing to pay for it. She loved to read books anyways. Why? For the reason that it let her travel to different places and it let her feel different emotions. Some books made her cry, some made her laugh, while some made her feel like she was in love. Reading made her feel all the emotions that she had not yet felt in real life. The words just seemed to get to her, to open the locked parts that no one had ever opened of her. It made her drift away from reality for a moment but once the last page has been flipped, the last sentence has been read, she knew that she had to get back to reality. She had to enter the portal once again and get back. Sometimes, she would wish that books lasted forever, no ending pages nor sentences but sadly, everything must come to an end. Nothing concrete could stay forever.

“Excuse me unnie?” Hayoung heard the voice of a little girl near her but she wasn't sure if she was the one being talked to so she remained silent with her eyes closed.

“Unnie.” the little girl repeated once more. Hayoung knew at that moment that it was her that the little girl addressed. She opened her eyes and hummed at the little girl softly. The little girl had dark brown hair. She had big monolid eyes that were brown in color. Rosy cheeks, pale skin, and a small face. The little girl looked like a doll.

“I was just curious but I saw you here since earlier. You were reading a book. Aren't you bored?” the little girl questioned. Hayoung was shocked with her straightforwardness but then again she was a kid. Oh how she missed being a kid, innocentYy and carefree. She remembered how she used to put her tooth under her pillow before she slept and then the next morning, it would be replaced by a coin. She used to think that it was the tooth fairy who did this but as she grew older, she found out that it was simply her parents who were behind it. Believing in fantasies and not doubting at all, she missed that. She missed not being able to face the real world yet but then again she wasn't Peter Pan was she? She was Wendy. Wendy, who grew up, lived a normal life, and faced the harsh reality of the world around her.

“Bored? Nope. Not at all. Do you want to know why?” Hayoung replied with a smile on her face. The little girl gave an enthusiastic nod and Hayoung couldn't help but to laugh at her cuteness. She patted the space beside her, gesturing the little girl to sit down.

“Why not tell me your name first?” Hayoung asked after the girl sat down. This time it was Hayoung's turn to look curiously at the child.

“I'm Hana.” the little girl said cheerfully.

“Alright then Hana. I'm Hayoung.”

“We both have Ha in our names!” Hana exclaimed. Hayoung nodded and smiled.

“I'm sure you've read a book before right?” Hayoung started. Hana nodded at her and with that Hayoung comtinued “Remember that moment when you were reading the book. Didn't you feel entertained?”

“But that was just a short book. The one you were reading was way longer than what I read.” Hana replied, lengthening the word “longer”.

“Well yeah, it may be long but it's mot boring at all. The longer a book is, the longer a person could stay in this certain place I call “paradise”. Paradise is a place where people evacuate from reality. It's worry-proof and all your worries and problems get left outside from where you came from. You don't understand me, do you?” Hayoung said as she realized that she was talking to a kid. Hana shook her head with a pout on her face.

“It's because you're still young. Once you grow older, you will understand but for now you shouldn't worry about it. Enjoy the feeling of being a kid and don't worry too much.” Hayoung said with a soft pat on Hana's head. Hana pouted. Hayoung suddenly remembered how adults would tell her the same line. She would hate it how they wouldn't explain it to her and just tell her that line but as she grew older, she understood why. It was because she had yet to experience it. Age does indeed make a difference.

“Do you want ice cream?” Hayoung asked as she spotted the ice cream truck nearby. Hana's face lit up at the mention of ice cream. She nodded excitedly. Hayoung although a teenager, still had the same reaction at times. Most especially if her older sister buys her ice cream.

Hayoung stood up and held her hand out for Hana to hold. Hana reached up to hold Hayoung's hand. She started to drag Hayoung with her as she ran. So this is what it feels like to be an older sister, Hayoung thought.

 


A/N: I'm really sorry if I posted this more than a month late. A lot happened and you see, I have this thing like I get ideas and write descriptions and plot summaries but then I get writer's block whenever I try to write another chapter. I'll try to overcome this though. This is my first story here on AFF and I hope you guys would like it. Thank you for all those who have been waiting for a long time and have not given up on me or this story. I hope I didn't dissapoint you. Comment below what you think of this chapter!