Chapter 5

Tales of Love and Loss

   

  A double update!

  Imp cleared his throat. "Thank you everyone for sharing your stories. It confirms what I've been told. Now that I've heard yours, may I tell mine?"
  Jinki nodded. "I think that's only fair. Don't you everyone?" At the others' agreement, Imp began to speak.
  "When I say it's my story, that's only partly true. Most of it is really my father's. Well, I call him my father, but he isn't really. He's scarely older than I, but when I was thrown out of my village, , beaten nearly to death, and shivering from cold even though it was a hot sunny day due to being cursed through no fault of my own, he came along and cared for me as though he were a parent. He dressed me, and taught me how to survive when the whole world seemed against me.
  "I've already said my father was cursed. It manifests as mine does, as extreme cold, except mine seems to have affected my memory as well. As far as we can tell, mine will be broken if I find and remember what I've forgotten, but with his, he was destined to fall in love three times and break their hearts. If he ever meets the most devoted again, his curse will be broken. He's always felt horrible it happened that way, that he couldn't even apologize. He managed to find his loves and from behind the scenes help two of them meet partners that were worthy of them. He was always close, though didn't dare make contact, but when he heard his first love's husband as well as his friend's fiancee had been kidnapped, he swore to find and bring them back alive." Key and Heechul looked startled, while Taemin leaned forward, looking thoughtful.
  Imp put his glove clad hands to his hood and pulled it back to show his face for the first time. He shook his overlong hair out of his face and smiled, which made him look like a devilish owl. "Before I go on, my real name is"
  "Kyungsoo? Is that you?" The one who hadn't spoken and who might have been Taemin's twin jumped up and went to hug the cursed boy.
  "That's my name. I'm sorry, but do I know you?"
  "It's me, Jongin! I've been looking for you for so long, to apologize."
  "I'm sorry, but I don't remember you. Apologize for what?"
  Jongin pulled the boy now known as Kyungsoo closer. "For not being there to protect you. We were in love, but our village didn't approve of same- pairings. As the elder's son I was sent away to school, and by the time I escaped and came back for you, you'd been cursed and abandoned. I begged my father and everyone else to try to find you, and to curse me instead, but they wouldn't hear of it. I was to be the next head of the village, but since I refused to go back to that school, I was to be wed to a girl of their choosing so she could birth many heirs, the stongest of who would be raised as leader instead. My friends here happened to be passing through the night before my wedding and Taemin heard me crying in the cell I was locked in so I couldn't escape. Once I managed to explain, he went and got Heechul, who used a bit of his magic to free me and I've been with them ever since, looking for you. You're still the finest person I've ever known, and my love hasn't dimmed."
  Heechul flipped his hair back. "It was child's play really. I'm sure that other boy enjoyed bedding that girl, who was pretty but dumb as a brick. Those idiots will have their heirs, and they'll be known as the Village of Fools."
  "Father said I looked as though I might have hit my head, probably as the part of the curse so I wouldn't remember. I'm sorry, but I really don't remember you at all."
  "That's okay my beloved. I'll help you find your memories, or we'll make new ones. The important thing is, I'm free and I'm never letting you go again" Jongin declared before taking Kyungsoo's face in his hands and gently kissing his lips.
  There was no magical lifting of the curse with their kiss, and Kyungsoo started shivering, so pulled his hood back over his head and wrapped his cloak closer to him as he finished his story. The only difference was he was now in Jongin's lap, with the other boys arms around his waist.
  "I'm sure by now you all have realized that the one I call Father is the Jonghyun from your past. Jinki, he helped you and Minho find each other, and talked Key's now husband into "casually bumping into" him. When he heard that man, and Heechul'd fiancee had been kidnapped, he managed to rescue them while the majority of the pirates were out plundering and the ones on guard duty were good and drunk. Your loved ones are waiting with him to be reunited with you. I was only meant to make sure we had the right group since he'd lost track of you while on his rescue misson. He also sent me to find out if Taemin still wanted him, or if he should let him go as well."
  Taemin had teared up, and dried his eyes on his sleeve. "I never stopped loving him, no matter how much it hurt or how hard I tried. Where are they?"
  "In a cave not far from here, but we must hurry. It wasn't without cost to his health that he accomplished all he did. He's deathly ill, but worse, both a group of pirates and two groups of villagers are searching for you all. I just didn't understand why until I heard the full stories."
  With that, the entire group jumped up, and with the aid of a few lanterns borrowed from the inn began hurridly picked their way through the darkness, following Kyungsoo who was still wrapped in Jongin's arms. It didn't take them long to spy the flickering of a firelit cave.
  Once the party reached the mouth of the cave, Kyungsoo gently untangled Jongin's arms from around his waist and softly called out, "Father?"
  "Kyungsoo" a voice croaked. "Did you find them?"
  "I did, all of them."
  "Well done my child. Come in, all of you. Jinki, Kibum, I can't tell you I'm sorry for everything you've gone through much less my part of it. I can only hope you're happy now. Taemin, I hope someday you can forgive me for leaving. I didn't want to, but you would have been in danger had I stayed. As it was, the magic that cursed me killed my people."
  At the sound of his name, Taemin let out a sharp cry and wiggled through the others to kneel before the shrouded figure that was lying close to the fire. He knelt down and threw his arms around the other man, crying even as he spoke. "Jonghyun, oh Jonghyun you idiot! I didn't care. I'm just happy to see you again."
  Meanwhile, a man and a woman who had been seated on a rock nearby stood up and made their way toward the others, falling into the arms of Kibum and Heechul, who proceeded to kiss the stuffing out of them both.
  Taemin gently removed Jonghyun's veil, eager to see the face of his beloved for the first time. He was shocked. Though a trace of what had obviously once been a handsome man remained, the hair was limp and white, the skin parchment thin and wrinkled, stretched over the bones underneath. There was little light in the dull eyes. The boy had never seen such an old looking man in his life.
  Heechul had come forward, holding hands with his pretty Chinesee fiancee. He snorted.
  "Oh, one of those. Gypsies are getting lazier every year with their curses. No wonder your people died. The one who cursed you probably forgot to renew the containment and it let loose, seeking to destroy. Fortunately, they have a limited area. Tae would have only been affected had he stumbled upon the camp before it was destroyed. You probably thought to use the part of the curse in your body to frighten off the drunk pirates. Not bad, but it does take a toll on your soul if not done properly. I suggest you leave magic to the professionals from now on. It can be undone easily enough. Hell, I can do a two for one. Imp, front and center! Fixing this won't even make me break a sweat."
  "You can do that?" Kyungsoo asked, going to stand next to Jonghyun, once again wrapped in Jongin's arms.
  "Child's play. It's almost embarassing. I did say I was talented, and I'm not an idiot, just that damn good. Okay, Tae, Jongin step away for a minute please. You can your boyfriends later." Cracking his knuckles, Heechul raised his hands and said a few words, then everyone was temporarily blinded as a bright white light filled the cave, then funneled itself into the cursed pair.
  "There, that should do it. I swiped the energy from the hunting parties. They should be too weak to hunt anyone for a while, and they'll find their life spans a few years shorter. Now, shall we return to the ships, or have an right here?" Heechul seemed quite pleased with himself as he moved to claim his fiancee's lips.
  "I vote for the ships. The only one I want to see is my husband" Kibum said, snuggling into the man in question's arms.
  Everyone's attention turned momentarily to Jonghyun and Kyungsoo. They were no longer bundled up, now clad in the same loose shirts and pants most of the others wore. The younger laughed happily as he threw himself into Jongin's arms and started kissing his face. "I remember you! Jongin, I remember!"
  Jonghyun slowly stood and watched Taemin for his reaction. He no longer looked like an old man, just a lost puppy.
  "Jonghyun?" Taemin sounded unsure, as though he couldn't believe the man was real.
  "Yes Taemin, it's me, if you still want me I'm all yours. From the feel, this is what I really look like. He opened his arms, only to find himself suddenly holding his greatest love.
  "I'll always want you Jonghyun" Taemin said before Jonghyun's lips met his for the first time.
  "I refuse to walk back, and it's time to make with the people" Heechul declared before casting another spell. Each couple found themselves in their own room on their own ship and were happy enough to do as the witch, er talented indivdual suggested. It was only several days later, after the unmarried couples had a triple wedding and were off once again in search of adventure, happily sharing their stories to all they met on their travels.
  Well, that's it. I hope you all enjoyed this silly thing, and I'll see you all again with my other stories.KE