Chapter 3

Tales of Love and Loss

 Double update! I have a new laptop so hopefully I'll be able to update more regularly.

 

  "There's not much to tell really for my story. I kept falling in love with Chinese men, and they kept dying on me. First Hangeng, then Zhoumi, then Zitao, then the oddly named Henry. I thought maybe it was a curse because it was men I loved. So I went looking for a love I wouldn't accidentally kill. When I fell in love with my beautiful XueFu, she disappeared. Some say she died, others say she was kidnapped by pirates. I'm going with the pirate theory since there's a chance she's still alive then. I still believe I'm under a curse, or perhaps some sort of taboo against loving the Chinese." Heechul took out a white lace hanky and dabbed his eyes. "As I stated earlier, I'm magically gifted, so I suppose it's possible I accidentally offended someone when I was still learning."

  Imp had a feeling there was far more to the story that Heechul wasn't telling, plus he was really curious to know what kind of powers the man had. He wasn't someone the traveller in the cloak had ever heard of. He chose instead to ask a question that he hoped wasn't nearly so intrusive. "Xue Fu? But I thought, aren't you and KEy together?"

  "He's married Imp. I'm no homewrecker. He tolerates my clinginess and habit of wearing dresses. We're just friends, and cuddle buddies until we get his husband and hopefully my fiancee back."

   Key spoke up then."We have some things in common as well. My first husband died. Woohyun and I met on a passenger ship, when he was a passenger and I worked as part of the crew. It was a sweet whirlwind romance, and we fell in love and married quickly. What we didn't know at the time was, he was already very ill. We only had less than three years together until I lost him."

  "Eventually my grief subsided, or at least it dulled enough that I was willing to try love again. That was a giant mistake, but after a valuable life lesson, I met my current husband, who is an absolute sweetheart. I cannot pronounce the name of his home country properly, so I've given up trying. His people all seem to be obsessed with maple trees and beavers though for some reason. I don't know why, but he was kidnapped by the same group of pirates who are rumored to have Heechul's Xue Fu. That's how we met actually, when I decided to cease being a merchant captain until I got my husband back and become a pirate hunter, and went looking for more crew. I met Onew, and Taemin around the same time and they offered to help me. We've just known as the merchant fleet Shinee, despite only being three small ships, because not everyone needs to know our business."

  "That's really all we have to say. Tae, you ready?"

  "Define ready" one of the maybe twins said.

  See, that is why there are no Canadians in this story darling boy. He's been kidnapped by pirates and Key hasn't found them to take him back yet.