Living the Cliché

Rap Mon (Kim Nam Joon) One Shots
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My life had always been a series of Clichés. No seriously!

Parents that dropped out of a drama movie? Check ...A pet dog named Snoopy and a cat named Garfield? Check

Sweet first love with a guitar playing hottie? Check... Horrible first breakup with Ice cream & sappy music? Check

Leaving home to live alone independently? Check... Still haunted by clichés even in college that drive me insane? Double check

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Yea, I have the notes for that class", I confirm into the phone, "Yes, you can borrow it. No I'm not at home running late. And Yes I'm on my way to the bus station."

"You are my saviour! I'll see yo- OUCH!" he screams a string of flowery curses.

"Nam Joon, I keep telling you to get your shoe rack fixed", I sigh, "Band aids, top shelf- cupborad beside the TV."

I hear a deep chuckle on the other end, "You know me so well! What would I ever do without you? You must know how much I love you!"

Inspite of hearing the same breezy confession from Nam Joon for probably the millionth time in last three years, I feel my pulse quickening. Despite knowing for a fact that he never really meant the 'I love you's' in more than a strictly platonic way, my face warms up ever so slightly.

"Spread your cheese on someone who'll like it, Nam Joon", I say nonchalantly. Well, atleast with as much nonchalance as I could muster, considering my situation.

I hear kissy sounds on his end, "I'm running out now! Hobi is on his way too. I'll see you at the bus station in two minutes."

Cue, more kissy noises and a click.

Girl hopelessly in love with her best guy friend? Check

The said guy friend not having a clue about it? Check 

Inspite of myself, a slow smile creeps on my face. But that's shortlived as someone whispers close to ear making me jump out of my skin, "When are you gonna tell Joonie you are in love with him?"

"Hobi! You retard, you almost gave me a heartattack", I sqeal, choosing to ignore his comment.

With a chuckle, Hobi falls into step beside me, "You know you can't hide love", and in typical Hobi fashion he starts singing Can't hide love in a squeaky, mocking voice.

"I'm NOT in love with anyone", I grit out.

Before Hobi can respond though, I hear his voice boom, "Love, Midgie?", he casually slides his both arms around our shoulders, looking at me questioningly.

I throw him a dirty look at the nick name he's given me, "DO NOT call me that." I can never get used to the name Nam Joon gave after knowing me for an hour after our first meeting- Midget. Which I seriously don't get cuz I'm not THAT short, even comparing to his 181 centimetres. 

He grins but dosen't let go of the topic, still looking at me he persists, "Midgie, what love?"

I freeze this time under his inquisitive gaze, scramming for a response. But before I can dash off his quiery with some sarcastic comment, Hobi interrupts, "Oh! Bus is here!", and drags us ahead. Once we are on the bus I stick my earphones, and hold my gaze firmly out of the window, to avoid any further conversation on the topic. I notice Hobi looking at me and turn towards him. He throws me a smug wink before resuming his conversation with Nam Joon.

Other best friend strongly convinced that you are in love with the other other best friend inspite of you trying your damdest to hide it? Check 

 _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Yo what's popping, Midgie", Nam Joon calls out, walking towards my locker and leaning against the wall beside it. 

It was lunch and Hobi was already waiting for us in the cafeteria. I was in the middle of ransacking my locker, trying to find my assignment paper which was due in two hours. It was important and made to almost 25% of my year grade. I coudn't find it and I was closing in on a nervous breakdown.

Which obviously made me snap at Nam Joon, "Oh wow, they taught you another word of fancy hip hop lingo in that wanna be hip hop class of yours?", which ended up coming out much harsher than my ususal sarcastic quips. I realize this and immediately feel bad. Nam Joon was serious about his music and he was extremely talented too. Inspite of much opposition, he had decided to pursude his Hip Hop dream even going as far as taking a double major of music with business just to convince his family. He was probably one of the most hardworking guys I've ever known too, him & Hobi. I look up at him, ready to apologize but he just shakes his head exasperatedly at me.

"What did you lose now?" he gives a world-weary sigh.

"Huh? How did you kno-?" I start but he gives me a wry glance so I croak, "My literature assignment."

"We'll find it, chill. Or we'll just help you do it again", he says consolingly.

Now in full panic mode I whine, "No we can't. I clearly remember stuffing it in the locker before going home yesterday. It's not here! It's all over! It's due in an hour. I'm dead now, I'll fail and you & Hobi will graduate without me and I'll have to stay back in college and die. Old & unsuccessful."

He chuckles at my dramatic outburst and holds out his hand. I look at it sceptically, wondering if I should take it. He signs again, "Your bag, midge. Not your hand."

I hand him over my bag, still confused. He opens it and feels around before taking out a folder- my assignment! 

"You found it!" I snatch it, relief washing over me, "How did you!?"

"I can't believe you did all that drama and never once thought to check in your bag... you get weird around exams and assignments", he rolls his eyes, "And FYI, midgie, I happen to know your pea-brain inside out.. I'm awesome like that."

And it was true, I think, as we start making our way to the cafeteria. He did know me well and vice-versa. It had always been that way since the first time we met on the first day of college- both of us lounging behind the last book row at the far end of the library (him listening to music, me reading) while skipping the orientation. I had glared at him because the music from his head phones was way too loud and Nam Joon, noticing my glare had taken out the ear phones and asked me, "You seem to have a problem with me? What did I do wrong?", making me smile. We've been friends ever since. And I had my pathetic cliché crush ever since.

"Earth to, midge!", Nam Joon's voice cuts through my thoughts as we enter cafeteria, spot Hobi and make our way to the table, "Have you even been listening to a word I just said?" 

Seeing us approach, Hobi pushes a chair out beside him and I plop down, "Thanks, Hobi. I was starving!"

I waste no time digging into my sandwich and look accross at Nam Joon, "No sorry...What were you saying, Joon?"

He hesitates, rubbing his neck awkwardly, "Um.. I invi-", he starts saying but a gorgeous brunette, with a food tray in her hands, interupts him.

"Hi Nam Joon", she smiles at him before sliding into the seat beside him. 

"-Invited Stephanie over to have lunch with us", Nam Joon finishes, now smiling back at her. 

"I hope you guys dont mind me joining! Joon asked and I couldn't say no", Stephanie winks conspirationally accross the table at us as she casually brushes his arm, "Honestly, I did not want to say no."

My heart drops on its own accord. I feel Hobi's hand slightly brush my shoulder. I quickly try to control my expression before smiling politely and going back to my sandwich. Just that now, instead of eating it I resort to stuffing my face with it. Over the next forty five minutes I realize with sinking heart that Stephanie, in addition to being drop dead gorgeous, is also a really nice person. I realize that they suited each other well. I also realized that Joon seemed to think so too. 

Any hopes of running away, burying myself 10,000 miles under the see when the lunch ended, were dashed when Nam Joon offered to walk me to my class. I turn to Hobi as a last resort but he was already discussing his next class with Stephanie. They apparently shared the class. With no other choice, I walk out with Nam Joon, ready for a painful talk about the girl- which I knew was coming. It always did. 

But to my surprise, he just walked beside me in silence. Not even a single mention of Stephanie. Being the masochist that I am, I broach the topic first, "So... she seems nice."

Joon gives a sidelong glance and smiles, "Yea, she is amazing."

I nod, not trusting my voice. But he dosen't push me for a response and instead continues, "I'm gonna ask her out, I think. Girlfriend and everything."

I halt in my tracks causing him to turn back and give me a questioning look, "You ok, midgie?"

"Um... yeah", I manage, smiling feebly, "That sounds wonderful... good luck!"

He just smiles and gestures me to go ahead into my class before turning and walking away to his class. I look at his receeding back and it all sinks in. 

Best friend (who knows me better than anyone else) who does not realise I like hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter