Hyerim, August 2015

Jinwoon's Angels

Hyerim is staring at the blonde guy in front of her

"Idiot, why you're not wearing any disguises?"

"are we dating right now?"

"NO! And I don't want Dispatch to think that we are. I'm in the middle of album promotion, you know"

Zico laughs "Any publication is a good publication, I thought you know that already", Hyerim snorts.

"Don't get mad at me baby girl, this place is my territory, nobody will take no photos here. Trust me"

They are sitting at a cafe on the 3rd floor, while in the basement is Zico & gang's favorite club, Cakeshop. As Zico said, nobody seems to go to this cafe, other than those who seem to know Zico personally

"So what is it? What is the hottest words on the street about me that you've heard, and in dire need to tell me in person?"

"Hmm... How long since we've been close friends like this, babe?"

"3 or 4 years, I guessed"

"And that's because?"

"We've met on a Hip Hop concert. You did solo numbers as Zico, not as a Block B member, and I greeted you backstage"

"And I was amused by your wide knowledge for Hip Hop. I might've fallen for you, Woo Hyerim, but somebody got in the way that time"

Usually when a guy said those words to a girl, things will become awkward, it's almost like a confession. But not with Hyerim and Zico, it's just a casual talk. Zico declared his love to Hyerim since the second they met, but she knows guys like him, they are masters of hiding their true feelings. And she's right, throughout the years of their friendship, Hyerim discovered that Zico is powerless in front of the girl he truly likes. He became quiet and keep looking down to the ground. She loves to during those periods.

"you mean, San E oppa?" Hyerim rolls her eyes. It's not that she hates San E, no. But he's sort of telling everyone about his feelings towards her, even to her mom, and it's quite hard to face everyone after that. Especially when they both at the same company at that time

"Yessss. And last week, me, San E hyung, Dok2 hyung, The Quiett hyung, Mad Clown hyung, Don Mills hyung...."

"You mean, almost all the rappers that are featured on that rap survival show?"

"Yes, and several others were out drinking. Suddenly Loco hyung read an online poll about the best looking rapper in 2015, and guess who sits on number 1?"

"Please don't tell me it's you"

Zico laughs "unfortunately not, but i did have high hopes. It's San E hyung! And we all cheered in disbelief. It was all laughing and cheering until he raised his glass, and made a speech"

Hyerim freezes "what speech?"

Zico's lips widen, he cannot hide his amusement "he was quite drunk at that time though. It was like : thank you all for voting for me, but really, the one I should really thank to is Woo Hyerim. If it's not for her, i'd never upgraded my looks. In the end, even though she still rejeceted me, let's remember her as the girl who makes San E handsome. And that's how it is, now you're known as the girl who makes San E famous". After finishing his words, Zico realizes that all the colors on Hyerim's face are gone. "Yah! Are you okay?"

Hyerim still freezes. She really wants to choke Zico at the moment but she doesn't have any reason to do so. It's not his fault, not at all. She really wishes she could flush San E in the toilet right now and seeing him gone along with the spiraling water

Zico looks at her with worry face. He wasn't expect her to be this shocked, he thought she would only yapping, cursing and laughing it off with him like the usual. "Hyerim-ah? Are you......"

"I'm going home", Hyerim gathering her things

"Hyerim-ah, I'm sorry"

"You don't need to say sorry, it's not even your fault. I should be thanking you, for telling me all of this", says her without even looking to Zico

"But if it hurts you..."

"It would hurt me more, if I don't know about this", she gets up from her seat. "See you Z"

"Let me drive you home"

"I drive my own car. Don't worry"

"Then I'll drive your car"

"What about yours? Idiot"

"I'll take taxi from your place, then back here again"

Hyerim lets out a sigh "Z, please. I need to be alone. I don't know, maybe I'm overrreacting, but.... You know how I like to be a plain Jane, right? Too much attention kills me. And now, I have this label on me, which I think kind of put me in the shallow-girl area. Labeled by people whose talents that I truly admired".

"Come here," Zico takes her hand and pull her into a hug "how dare you leave without a hug. I thought it's our thing". Hyerim tries her best not to cry. More than sad or angry, she feels exhausted, but not physically.

"I'll text you when I got home, okay" says Hyerim while releasing herself from Zico's embrace

"Give my hello to Hatfelt please" Zico smirks, but his ears are fiery red

"I will"

"No, please. I'm just joking. I'll...... I'll go get her myself"

Hyerim gives Zico one last wave before she goes into her car and drive home. She then rushes into Sunmi's room, sits on the floor and cries.

 

****

"San E oppa is quite mean. Now that you're labeled as the girl who makes San E handsome, the other guys will think twice to make a move on you" whispers Sunmi. Wonder Girls are taping for Music Bank today, and they are in their waiting room, waiting for their taping schedule. Hyerim did not tell ther unnies about Zico's story, she only told Sunmi that night, then they passed the story to Sohee via video call.

"Yes. Especially from that circle"

"Do you expect to date someone from that circle?", asks Sunmi

"No, I don't know. Maybe, but I don't know. Zion T is kinda cute, but I don't know. Honestly I don't know who to date right now"

"You have 5 2PM members for a start" Yubin chirps, she heard the last bits from her dongsaengs conversation. Sunmi claps in amusement.

"Or 7 GOT7 Members. 6! Sorry, my bad, you've already dated one" Yeeun winks

"Unniesss, please. I don't think same-company relationship will be a good idea"

"Are you talking bout meeee, hun??" Yubin runs to give her a playful choke

"Or you can date Jinwoon! He's not in JYP anymore" Yeeun pushes already-there-and hanging-out-at-Wonder Girls-dressing room-Jinwoon to her. Jinwoon gives Hyerim the cheekiest smirk ever, and she returns it with a cute smirk

"Wonder Girls, it's time" said the staff

"Let's gather for praying", said Yubin

"And how about us, Hyerim???" protests Jinwoon

"Pray first, maybe I can find a spark with you, oppa"

"issh, you and your spark"

 

***

"Hyerim, there is a package for you from your brother" says her manager when she stepped down from the stage

"I know what it issssss" she rushes to the dressing room and finds a wine bottle, wrapped beautifully. She carefully opens the wrappers, there, a 1999 Romanee Conti sits. One of the expensive wines, and also her favorite. "GOD I LOVE MY BROTHER!", She squeals "I need to call him right now". 

KBS building has one of the worst reception in Seoul, so Hyerim needs to get out. But due to Music Bank taping & several famous idols are also promoting with them, it's hard for her to get out without being recognized by fans. She remembers there is hidden balcony on 5th floor where other idols are using it for smoking without being seen, that place may have good receptions. That balcony is not like the usual pretty balcony. It has no chairs, and the floors are full with cigarrette butts. It's just a quick escape place for smoking, because unlike the image that most people know, many idols, girls or guys are heavy smokers. When Hyerim enters the balcony, for a second she thought none one is there, but then she realizes there's a guy on her far left. She knows the guy, not personally, and she gives him a slight bow. He's her sunbae after all. He replies with a smile and cigarrette still hanging on his mouth.

She tries to call her brother, but he doesn't answer. After several time calling, she calls her home in Hong Kong

"Oemma, is Oppa there? Oh, he's out teaching? Okay, I'll just text him then. No, nothing urgent, I just want to say thank you for the package. Okay, bye Oemma, I love you". Her phone call with her mother only lasted for several seconds. She stands quietly while typing nice words to her brother before heading back to the dressing room.

"What is it?" a voice comes from her left, Hyerim looks around to see if there's another person that he's talking to, but nope. Only her.

"Excuse me?"

"The package. The wine" He walks towards her, ditching his cigarrette. "I'm sorry, I saw your package when they delivered it to you. I knew it was a wine". He smiles, smells of alcohol are circling around him

"Romanee Conti"

"Year?"

"1999"

He moves closer "you're a lucky girl"

"Thank you" Hyerim smiles, tries to still look cool and polite "Not as lucky as Chateau Mouton Rothschild, though"

His eyes widens "wow, you really know your wine, miss"

"Thank you sunbaenim"

"Hyerim-ssi, you really amazed me. Are you that into wine?"

He knows my name? Hyerim asks herself. It's not that they ever bump into each other, in broadcast or in daily life

"Yes, I'm quite a wine enthusiast, Sunbaenim"

"Hyerim-ssi, I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself properly earlier. I'm..."

"I know who you are, Sunbaenim" she gives him a small smirk. Only a small one, just to see his reaction. He stops for a while before shyly smiles "Sorry, but for a second I think you look like a painting. You know, the girl with pearl earring, Johannes Vermeer. Sorry, silly thought"

"Well, thank youu. I heard about that painting is open for a short exhibition next week in Seoul National Gallery, I was planning to see it. Now you gave me more reason to visit."

"Me too. I was there when they decided to bring that painting here"

"Woah, so cool"

"Painting and wine" he blurts

"and cheese" continues Hyerim. Then they smiles to each other

"I think I should go back, it's almost time for winner announcement"

"Yeah me too".

 

***

"AND THE WINNER IS..... BIG BANG - ZUTTER"

The Wonder Girls smiles to the camera, bowing then walk out of stage. Hyerim sees him from the corner of her eyes, she almost walks past him. He's getting near. Right in front of him, she gives him a short bow and a subtle smile.

"It's a date then" he whispers, so subtle that his lips barely move. She just nods and keeps walking.

When her unnies are inside the dressing room, Hyerim grabs Sunmi and brings her to an empty hallway. She moves closer to Sunmi's ear and whispers "I think I like Big Bang TOP"