Sunmi, August 2015

Jinwoon's Angels

They say the quiet one keeps the most secrets. Hyerim is considered the quiet one among us. Not silence-quiet, but more like not pouring everything inside her head blatantly. That’s why I make her my confidante, along with Sohee of course. Her task is a lot bigger than Sohee actually, since Hyerim needs to cover me from the unnies at home, while Sohee is just there to confirm our story.

My trusted confidante is now right beside me, driving her car with half of her face hidden under the bucket head. She’s more cautious than me. While I put my hair down, shiny and wavy on my shoulder. I put a light make up on and cannot stop checking on my compact mirror.

“You’re going to ruin you perfectly framed lips if you keep checking in the mirror and erasing and re-applying your lipstick every 5 minutes”, said Hyerim without looking away from the road

“AHA! You got your point! But I can’t help it, I’m sorry”

“Remind me, what is our excuse to the unnies today?”

“It’s maknaes day out!”

“Out doing what exactly?”

“We’re going to watch some movies, hanging out at cafes and waiting for Sohee to join us. We are going to play some puzzles, have some wine and just hang out at Sohee’s place”

“Let’s just hope Yubin unnie and Yeeun unnie won’t ask us to join like the last time. I have to rush and pick you up, luckily I didn’t violate any speed limits”

“You did, actually. But there was no police present at that time”, I can’t help myself not to giggle, innocent-faced Hyerim is actually a law breaker

“Yes, and Sohee had to act that we were actually hanging out at her place, so she ordered some food, opened a wine bottle and put some pillows in front of the TV”

“It was fun, wasn’t it?” I cannot stop my giggle

Hyerim sighed “yes, but aren’t you worried that he will talk to Yubin or Yeeun unnie? Like when they bumped into each other, and he casually tell them that you’re visiting him regularly”

“We’ve talked about this, right? They will bump to each other, but they don't really talk. It’s been years.”

“I know, I’m just worried. What excuse do you give to see him this time?”

“I want to learn to use turntables. For our new album materials’ sake”

Hyerim laughed “turntables?! Whoa I didn’t get the memo about any turntable involvement in our new album”

“Pshh, it’s just an excuse”

“Are you running out of excuses?”

“Sort of”

“Then, tell him that you like him!”

“I can’t… You know that he’s being affectionate with me because I’m like his little sister. I saw him with the girls he like, his mannerism is totally different. He treats me like a baby”

“But he never turned down your excuses to meet him. That’s a sign”

“He’s a good oppa. I’ve known him for a long time. He’s the kind of guy that puts his friends above everything. I’m one of his oldest friend, that's why”

Suddenly my phone rang, could it be him? It took me a while to find my phone inside my bag, and it’s not him. It’s Jinwoon oppa.

“Sunmi-ah, where are you?”

“I’m going to the cinema with Hyerim and then meet up with Sohee. What is it oppa?”

“You’re with Hyerim now? That’s perfect. Can we meet today? What time your movie starts? I’m asking Yubin noona to come too”

“Wait, I’ll ask Hyerim” I put him on hold so that he cannot listen to our conversation. “Jinwoon oppa wants to meet us, he’ll bringing Yubin unnie along. What are we gonna do now?” I bit my lip, I don't want my original plan to ruin.

“Let’s go and meet him now, then. After that I can drive you to his place. It’s better for you have more time with him after meeting Jinwoon oppa, rather than you have to cut your time with him in the middle”

I’m so going to kiss Hyerim if she’s not driving the car right now.

“Jinwoon oppa, I can see you now. What about Yubin unnie?”

 

***

 

15 minutes later, here we are, sitting in a stylish café around Garuso-gil.

 Yubin unnie came to us first, “I thought you guys are watching a movie right now?”

“Jinwoon oppa called right before we bought our tickets” said Hyerim

“And Sohee still have schedules too, so we have plenty of time later” I added

Then Jinwoon oppa came. I spot several girls are bewildered when they saw him walking. He really is getting more handsome and manly. I hope he finds a good girl for himself.

“Thank you girls to come in such a short notice”

“What’s wrong oppa?” I kinda worry about him

“Should we wait for Yeeun unnie?” asked Hyerim

“No, she’s not coming. It’s about her actually. I’m stuck. I don't know who to set her up with” said Jinwoon oppa, frustrated

Hyerim, Yubin unnie & I said “oooh” in unison

“what’s the problem actually?” Hyerim leans to Jinwoon, tries to get the story clearer

“I have several candidates. I think they’re nice but I’m not sure Yeeun noona will like them”

“I think that's the reason why you set her up with just anybody, right? So she will experience interacting with guys that are not her ideal type”

“That’s true Sunmi-ya. But still, it has to be someone who can understand our world right?”

“So it has to be an idol?” said Yubin unnie

“Doesn't have to be an idol right? As long as Yeeun unnie can chat freely with that person, I think it’s fine.”

“She likes Shinee’s Onew, right? I was thinking about contacting Onew…”

“Jinwoon ah, she likes Onew’s features, but Onew is not that, well, clicked with her when they are conversing.  Also, she’s aware that she’s not Onew’s type. So... Hey, why don’t you ask her out? You’re single, and you guys will look cute together” Yubin unnie, she’s still trying to fish the truth about Jinwoon oppa’s affection towards us, especially Yeeun unnie

“Please, she’s like a sister to me. Nothing more”

I’m looking at Hyerim, exactly like the conversation we had in the car. Some guys are nice to us because they’re just plain nice. She’s looking at me with sympathetic glance. She gets me.

“Whoever he is, he has to be smmm….. aaa who is this?!”, suddenly someone closes Hyerim’s eyes from behind, and he’s giving us signal not to tell Hyerim about him

“who is this? Is it Jia unnie?”

“YAH! So you think my hands are like girls”

Hyerim chuckled, she figures out who the culprit is “not your hand, but your fragrance is like a girls’ perfume, Zico”

Block B’s Zico, stands beside her and smiling ear to ear. Then he greets us “Jinwoon hyung, hello. Yubin noona how are you? It's been a while since unprettu rapstar 2 taping. Sunmi, hello”. He’s glaring at Hyerim

“What? I don't get a hello from you?”

“And I don't get a hug from you?” said Zico, putting his hand around Hyerim’s shoulder. I know Zico is a flirt, but I don't know he’s that close with Hyerim

“I think Sunmi is burning with jealousy right now” said Yubin unnie, laughing

Jinwoon oppa pats Zico’s arm “Yah, she’s not your property”, and pointing his hand at me

“You can put your hands on her but doesn't mean you have her” I play along, and everyone’s laughing

“It’s wonder4 minus one, I see” said Zico

“Stop acting like you’re just realized that Yeeun unnie isn’t here. If Yeeun unnie is here, you wouldn’t dare to flirt with me like this”

“Hyerim-ah!!!”

“Wait, what?” Yubin unnie’s radar is on

“Zico here is a big fan of hmmphhh hmhhhh”, Zico covers Hyerim’s mouth with his hand

“Do you like Yeeun noona, seriously?” asked Jinwoon

Zico sighed and his face turns red, as red as his lips “what can I say, she’s cool, smart. No, she’s a genius. And she’s hot”. He releases Hyerim’s mouth from his hand

“Zico, gotta go.” His manager came to him

“Okay, see you guys. And please don't tell Hatfelt about what I said”

“WHOAA” Yubin unnie claps her hands

“Did you hear that? He even called her Hatfelt”, said Jinwoon oppa, pretty much amazed

“Guys please… Hyerim-ah, I really can’t get my hug, can I?”

Hyerim gets up and walk with Zico to the door, after a short hug, she gets back to hear seat.

“I think Zico pretty much solves my problem”, said Jinwoon oppa, “Hyerimmie, can you share his number to me? And oh, your lipstick, it’s ruined. You better wipe it clean anyway. colors suit you better.”

 

***

 

We are saved by Yubin unnie’s facial treatment reservation, so we finished Jinwoon oppa’s emergency meeting quickly. After Hyerim shared Zico’s contact to Jinwoon oppa, we immediately left the café and Hyerim is rushing to get me to his place.

“Yeeun unnie and Zico? I don't know, he looks like a big flirt, Yeeun unnie doesn't like that kind of guy”

“Zico is actually nice. He flirts with girls he comfortable with, or with strangers when he’s nervous. It’s his defense mechanism in an awkward situation” said Hyerim

“I don't know you are that close with him. I know that he’s you friend, but not that close. You get me right?”

“Because he’s the middle man between me and San E oppa. Zico helps a lot”

“Oh okay…” I almost forgot about Hyerim and San E oppa. So it’s Zico who help Hyerim to convince San E oppa that they’re better off as friends. “You don’t want to ask Jinwoon oppa, whether he can set you up with some guys or not?”

We have arrived at our destination. Hyerim stopped the car and smiles “I’m fine, I think I’ll just wait for the right guy”

“Waiting for the sparks, huh?”

“Yes, just like you. You’ve known him since forever, but the sparks just hits you last year. I don't want to rush it.”

I hugged her, she’s my anchor right now. And also Sohee, my protector.

“What time should I pick you up?”

“I’ll text you. You’re going to Sohee’s now?”

“Yeah, I think. Have fun, Mi”

I close my eyes and smile excitedly, I haven’t seen him in 3 weeks and I’ve been waiting for this day to finally arrived.

One last goodbye wave to Hyerim from the lobby, now I’m standing in front of the elevator, hitting the usual button “4th floor – AOMG Head Quarters”.