Epilogue

Bite Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun had been right. The council had been desperate in their attacks because they were being caged in. With Baekhyun’s lobbying and Kris’ significant old family clout, they’d managed to gather enough support for passing the Human Rights bill that legalized human-vampire relations. With it, the old cases where the vampires’ human mates had been murdered on orders of the purists were reopened.

It was messy. Nearly all the old families had members involved in these atrocities and it was a revolution in its own right, the judgement they were dealt. It set an example for everyone in the most effective way, highlighting that no vampire could escape the consequences of their actions.

Baekhyun was hailed as something of a hero for initiating it and Mei couldn’t have been prouder of him. He was given a huge monetary compensation – as were all vampires who’d lost the human members of their families to the purist cruelty. It gave him enough to make up for his lost inheritance and if he wanted, he could take his clan and be completely independent.

The brothers, however, decided differently. After huge arguments about who would officially head the clan, they settled on a compromise. Kris would remain the family head on paper as had been willed by their father and would be in charge of keeping check of the family properties and finances; Baekhyun, who’d become something of a public figure, would be the face of the family in all social and political affairs.

This was done to ensure that they would keep each other in check, on advice of their trusty butlers.

‘You’re too impulsive, sir,’ Suho told Baekhyun, who’d been pouting intensely at the suggestion. To think that his own clan would betray him like this, suggesting that he... he submit to Kris.

D.O rolled his eyes at his theatrics, pointedly staring at the expensive, completely exclusive, one-of-its-kind – ‘completely overpriced and useless, you mean,’ he muttered – brick he’d bought.

‘But it’s the only one of its kind!’ Baekhyun defended his choice. No one else in the world had a specially monogrammed couple brick to their name.

‘It’s not even gold,’ D.O retorted. ‘And technically, anyone can have it. People just aren’t that stupid to waste so much on something like this.’

Baekhyun whipped around to Suho as if it was all his fault. Which it was because he was responsible for the correct upbringing and teaching proper manners to his clansmen. ‘See? They have no respect for me!’ he whined.

Suho shook his head, glaring at D.O for effect. ‘My apologies sir, I’ll see that they learn their place. But I do agree with him on this – if you continue spending like this, your compensation is not going to last long.’

Kris had been grinning smugly throughout the interaction, gloating inwardly. Baekhyun had always been a loathe to admit Kris was good at anything but he knew business and could handle finances in his sleep. ‘Just admit it Baekhyun – I’m better at this than you are.’

Baekhyun shot him a glare over his butler’s head. ‘Shut up idiot!’

‘Stop calling me an idiot!’ Kris yelled, ready to throw something at his brother.

Lay held him back, patting his back until he’d relaxed.

‘Sire,’ he spoke up, hands continuing their soothing petting, ‘Baekhyun may be impulsive but he can speak in public without embarrassing everyone in the process.’

Kris hummed in agreement before his eyes shot open as the words registered. ‘Blasphemy!’ he exclaimed, ‘I will not stand by such irreverence!’ He glared at Lay for effect, but his butler rolled his eyes and ignored him, looking over at Baekhyun. ‘Kris is many things but graceful he is not.’

Kris sputtered as Baekhyun grinned, smugness dripping from his face. ‘You were saying?’ he asked Kris, buffing his nails.

‘I think it can be agreed upon that Baekhyun is far more suited for public relations and social affairs.’

Kris was looking at Lay as if he’d stabbed his favorite teddy bear – that had been Chen and Luhan’s doing – right in front of his eyes. ‘You’re ashamed of me?’ he asked, sounding heart-broken.

‘Not at all!’ Lay was quick to respond, hugging the rapidly-crumpling vampire. ‘But sire, you have to admit public-speaking is not your forte.’

He sniffed. ‘I have disappointed my clansmen…’ he mumbled, ‘I don’t deserve-‘

‘Ugh, cease your theatrics, Kris!’ Baekhyun spoke, more uncomfortable with Kris’ breakdown than he’d expected. ‘Leave that for me, please. I’ll have you know that I hate numbers and if I never have to look at the accounts book in my life, I’ll gladly take up public-speaking for it.’ He glanced at his step-brother before looking away. ‘So, just do your thing and I’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter