Chapter 8

Bite Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mei wouldn’t stop crying and Kris was beginning to lose his mind. He’d already brought her giant tubs of ice-cream, put on one of Tao’s favorite princess cartoons on TV and even piled all the plushies from his secret plushie closet in her – his, technically but who cared? – bed but she just wouldn’t stop tearing up.

She sat with an obnoxious – -ly cute, his brain supplied but he pushed it away – pout on her face, hugging his favorite teddy and stuffing with chocolate. Tao sat beside her comfortingly patting her shoulders and wiping her tears ever so often. It was an adorable picture and he kind of wanted to join them because they looked quite cozy and snuggly and he felt like he was missing out, but he had a reputation to uphold.

Also, what was so amazing about Baekhyun anyway?

‘Good riddance!’ he exclaimed, running his fingers through his hair and resisting the urge to pull on them and tear them out. ‘Why is she still crying over that insensitive baboon? He didn’t even court her properly!’

Lay pursed his lips, holding his tray full of sweet delicacies – ‘Ice-lollies’, Lay corrected – for Kris as he ranted, pacing in the corridor outside his room.

‘Sire, may I remind you that she is bonded with your brother?’

‘NO, YOU ABSOLUTEY MAY NOT!’ Kris yelled, irritated. His own butler kept rubbing it in his face.

‘I will, nevertheless.’ Lay responded calmly, depositing his tray delicately on the cupboard and marching up to Kris. Kris stopped his pacing to prevent Lay from being bowled over. All he got for his efforts was a deliberately painful jab to his chest. ‘The blood bond cannot be formed until it is mutually consensual, so whether you agree with Baekhyun’s courting manners or not, the fact is that Mei accepted him. Of course, his abrupt departure is going to hurt her, especially since he completely misunderstood her intentions.’

Kris rolled his eyes.

He understood that, of course, but seriously, just how long was Mei planning to cry? It had already been over an hour and her tears had yet to cease.

It wasn’t that he had a problem with crying per se – he was practically raising Tao – but that the crying was, after Baekhyun’s own stupidity, partially his fault. It made his mouth bitter with the taste of unwanted guilt and he wanted nothing more than to wash it away with blood – preferably his Bride’s but of course, he wasn’t that lucky, so he’d taken to these sweet delicacies (‘Ice-lollies,’ Lay reminded him patiently. ‘Or popsicles.’ As if he’d ever stoop to something that sounded so childish!) instead.

There was another quiet sniffle from inside his room and Tao’s gentle murmuring before Mei broke out into another loud sob.

‘Ugh!’ Kris smacked a hand to his face, dragging it down slowly so his eyelids pulled down. He’d worry about wrinkles but with all the frowning he’d been doing lately, he was doomed anyway.

‘We don’t wrinkle, sir.’ Lay muttered quietly.

Kris glared at him side-ways. Lay pretended not to see him, focusing on his nails instead, buffing them casually against chest. Kris sighed in defeat.

‘Stop her,’ he begged, giving up on his pride. ‘Please, just make her stop! I can’t take her tears any longer. I’ll kidnap Baekhyun if I have to, just tell her to stop!’

‘I think, sir, that it would be best if we stayed out of this.’ Lay finally deigned to look at him. ‘It seems that we’ve done more harm than good.’

And while Kris may hold a lot of grudges against Baekhyun, coming between him and his Bride had never been his intention. He would never stoop so low.

Kris sighed. ‘You’re right, of course.’ He bit his lip, blinking his eyes rapidly. Lay looked up at him. ‘Are you okay, sir?’ he asked, stepping closer.

Kris nodded but his vision blurred. ‘’M fine,’ he mumbled.

Lay’s hand running soothingly over his back was the last straw. He let out a choked sob, burying his face in his hands. Lay closed in, pulling him into a comforting hug and barely letting out a sound when Kris decided to put his entire weight on him, letting himself go.

‘There, there, sir.’ Lay soothed. That only made Kris sob harder. Lay continued his ministrations, used to these mood outbursts. The brothers shared an undeniable bond, which tied them closer than either liked to acknowledge. But it was no secret to their clansmen that if either Kris or Baekhyun was upset, the other would be too. That’s just how things were.

‘Come on, let me tuck you in,’ Lay cajoled.

Kris slowly looked up at him. His reddened eyes would make him look fierce if he didn’t look so pitiable. ‘Will you also sing me a lullaby?’

Lay smiled, cheek dimpling beatifically, taking his hand and leading him. ‘Of course.’

Kris followed contentedly.

……………………………….

Mei begged Tao to take her to Baekhyun’s place. She needed to talk to him, to make him hear her out, clear the misunderstanding.

Reluctant at first, he finally agreed to ask Lay about it.

‘Why not Kris?’ she asked, curious.

Tao shrugged. ‘He’ll be indisposed. He always is after fighting with Baekhyun.’

Mei’s eyes expanded. ‘Is he hurt?’

‘Emotionally.’ Tao nodded, looking sympathetic.

Their conversation was interrupted by the rest arriving.

‘Pay up,’ Chen demanded gleefully while Xiumin and Luhan sulked, reluctantly handing him money. ‘Told you Baek would forget about his vow and storm over!’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter