The Two Teams

It Began With a Gray Sky

Chapter Twelve: The Two Teams

Looking out the window, Ji Hyo saw that the sky was a pale, dreary gray. Sighing, she glanced at the cellphone on the counter in front of her. One of the PTs had given her a laminated card, bearing the instructions for the first mission of the day. She was to remain at the hair salon until either Jae Suk or Jong Kook arrived to pick her up. Today, she was given the power of choice, where she could select which team to join.

Her first instinct said that she wanted to be on Jong Kook’s team. But she knew that the PDs didn’t like it when she and Jong Kook talked about being on the same team—most of her teasing with Jong Kook had been cut from the previous episode. Maybe she was supposed to choose the other team. Besides, she didn’t want to disappoint Jae Suk by choosing Jong Kook over him. Jae Suk had been nothing but a kind—if a little interfering—oppa since the start of the show. But Jae Suk was the one who had encouraged her to tell Jong Kook that she was a Turbo fan, so wouldn’t Jae Suk understand why she chose Jong Kook? After all, she had been determined to be on Jong Kook’s team for the past month. Not that Jong Kook wanted her on his team. He probably wouldn’t even come to pick her up.

“Ah, what to do?” Ji Hyo asked the camera. “It’s difficult, like choosing between one’s father and mother.”

“Which one’s the father?” asked Sung Gyu over the camera.

“Neither,” said Ji Hyo.

“And the mother?”

“Neither,” said Ji Hyo again and laughed. Her mother and father were irreplaceable. Besides, Jae Suk was more like an older brother, while Jong Kook was anything but a relative to her.

She stared down at the phone again and said, “I have a car. Can’t I just be on my own team?”

“No,” said Oh Hyun Sook PT. “You have to pick one of them.”

Sung Gyu made a face behind Oh PT’s back. Sung Gyu and Ji Hyo both agreed that Oh PT was too much of a stickler for the rules; they had both been disappointed when they found out that she had been assigned to them for the day.

“Shall we get started on your hair?” asked Young Mi. The stylist stood behind Ji Hyo, her heart-shaped face and dark bob reflected in the mirror.

Ji Hyo leaned back in her chair, trusting Young Mi to do her job.

“Who do you think Jae Suk-oppa and Jong Kook-hyung will go to first?” Ji Hyo asked Sung Gyu. “Jong Kook- and Haha-hyungs are close, but Jong Kook-hyung likes to pick Kwang Soo first for these things.”

“Kwang Soo is in Namyang-ju,” said Sung Gyu.

Ji Hyo laughed, picturing Kwang Soo stranding out in the cold so far away from everyone else. “Jong Kook-hyung is definitely going to Haha-hyung first then. After that, Gary-hyung.” She leaned back in the chair and frowned. “Jae Suk-oppa might call Haha-hyung first too…or Suk Jin-oppa. I don’t know who Kwang Soo and Joong Ki will choose.” She glanced at the camera. “I think I’m going to be last.”

She chatted with Sung Gyu and Young Mi while her hair was curled for filming. Other salon workers came to do Ji Hyo’s make up, and she forced Sung Gyu to leave so he wouldn’t see her beautification process. Sung Gyu complained about “high-maintenance women”, which caused Ji Hyo to snicker since they both knew Suk Jin was far more high-maintenance than she was.

After the makeup had been put on and Young Mi had almost finished with Ji Hyo’s hair, Sung Gyu returned. Ji Hyo looked at him and said, with a little laugh, “No phone calls yet. Like I said, I’m last to be called. I supposed I should just pick whoever calls first.”

“Jae Suk-hyung,” predicted Sung Gyu.

Ji Hyo scowled. “Jong Kook-hyung might call.”

“He says every Monday that he doesn’t want to be on the same team as you,” said Sung Gyu.

Young Mi was looking from Sung Gyu to Ji Hyo and back, curiosity in her dark eyes. However, Ji hyo trusted her not to say anything. She’d been coming to this salon for two years now, and Young Mi had always kept Ji Hyo’s secrets.

“I think Jong Kook-hyung will call,” said Ji Hyo, folding her arms across her chest. She had no idea why she was challenging Sung Gyu on this, since she didn’t think Jong Kook would call either, but she hated the certainty with which Sung Gyu spoke. There was always a possibility that Jong Kook would change his mind about being on the same team as her.

“It’s all Kwang Soo’s fault,” muttered Ji Hyo. “If he hadn’t read those stupid fan forums…”

“It’s always Kwang Soo’s fault,” said Sung Gyu cheerfully.

Their conversation was interrupted by the shrill ring of Ji Hyo’s cellphone. With an excited look in Sung Gyu's direction, she picked up the phone and read the caller ID. A wide grin spread across her face and she lifted up the phone to show Sung Gyu.

“Jong Kook-hyung called.”

She was pleased to see the surprise on Sung Gyu’s face. He really had thought that Jong Kook wouldn’t call her. Though, to be honest, Ji Hyo had thought the same thing.

She held the phone up to her ear and said, “Hello?”

“The beautiful one!” Jong Kook’s voice came through the phone. “Beautiful Ji Hyo, where are you?”

Ji Hyo glanced at the camera and smiled. The reaction was half for the show and half out of her own feelings. She never thought she would hear Jong Kook call her beautiful—especially when he wanted to avoid a love line with her. Did that mean she had won? He had given up on avoiding her and wanted to be on her team.

She covered with one hand and said, “Say ‘Beautiful Ji Hyo, where are you?’ one more time.”

As ordered, he asked, “Beautiful Ji Hyo, where are you?”

She laughed. It would be killing him to have to pander to her like this. But he was the one who wanted her on his team this time—she had to take advantage it while she could.

“I don’t require any other members today,” said Jong Kook. “I only need you.”

Ji Hyo laughed even harder. “Hyung, you knew you could get me with those words, didn’t you?”

There was a chuckle on the other end of the phone line. “Well, Ji Hyo?”

“Give me a call when you reach Cheongdam-dong,” said Ji Hyo.

“Okay,” said Jong Kook, his voice falsely cheerful. “I want to see you as soon as possible.”

“Oppa,” said Ji Hyo, trying to use the sweetest tone she could. “I want to see you too.”

As she hung up, she noticed Sung Gyu rolling his eyes at her.

“What?” asked Ji Hyo. “He was very persuasive.”

“You should have at least gotten him to bring food,” said Sung Gyu. “I’m hungry.”

 


 

Jong Kook couldn’t believe the things he was having to do today to get teammates. Gary had declared that he would only join the team that Ji Hyo was on, so Jong Kook had thrown away his pride to call Ji Hyo. He was determined to earn a Running Ball and beat Jae Suk in the race to the aquarium, which meant that he’d pushed aside his fears of a love line and had pulled all the stops to get Ji Hyo on his team. Then, in order to get Haha, Jong Kook had been forced to do the Uri Hyung and Nae Dongsaeng routine.

“Do you know how tired I am?” Jong Kook asked Haha, who now sat in the passenger’s seat. “I even had to ask Ji Hyo.”

Haha laughed. “Why do you even care? So what if a couple people like you two together?”

Jong Kook gave his dongsaeng a sharp look. Haha had been around for the Yoon Eun Hye scandal during the X-Man days. He’d seen how the love line had affected Jong Kook and Eun Hye’s friendship after Jong Kook returned from mandatory military service. Surely out of anyone, Haha would understand why Jong Kook wanted to avoid love lines now.

“All right, all right,” said Haha. “I know why you care. But it can’t hurt you to have her on your team every once in a while.”

“I know,” said Jong Kook. “Which is why we’re going to pick her and Joong Ki up in Cheongdam-dong, and then get Gary.”

“Gary is pulling a Monday Boyfriend, isn’t he?” Haha snorted. “He’s milking his love line for all its worth.”

“Ji Hyo doesn’t like it,” said Jong Kook. He understood Ji Hyo’s reluctance all too well.

“Gary told me he talked to her about their love line last Monday,” said Haha. “Because he feels like he’s been doing the work all by himself. He told me, ‘If people think one-sided loves are hard, they should try one-sided love lines.’”

Jong Kook laughed. He had never been in a one-sided love line, unless Eun Hye’s crush on Shinhwa’s Eric counted. However, Jong Kook had been on the receiving end. There had been plenty of girls—Stephanie and Chae Yeon—who had tried to take him from Eun Hye on X-Man.

“The HaHyo was one-sided while it lasted,” said Jong Kook.

“That was the fun of it,” said Haha. “But imagine having to be the ‘boyfriend’ of someone, but they’re clearly not interested.”

Jong Kook shook his head. He didn’t want to imagine; he was done with love lines. “So what did Ji Hyo say?”

“She would try harder,” said Haha.

Jong Kook nodded in approval. While he understood Ji Hyo’s frustration with her love line, he disagreed with her lack of participation. It was part of her job. She had signed contracts knowing there would be a love line. She should address her hesitations off-camera, but act the part of Monday Couple during filming.

“We should try and pick up Gary now,” said Haha. “Since we’re in the area.” He glanced at Jong Kook. “You did say Ji Hyo is definitely coming with us, right?”

Jong Kook sighed. “I called her ‘beautiful Ji Hyo’ and told her I needed her on my team. Do you know what I’m risking? She’ll be in big trouble if she doesn’t join us.”

Haha laughed as Jong Kook picked up his cellphone. He glanced over at Haha and said, “I hope you understand that if I act affectionate now, it’s for the sake of our team.”

“Of course,” said Haha. He paused and then asked, “Were you as affectionate with Ji Hyo as you were with me?”

Jong Kook scowled and glanced at the camera that had been rigged in the van. “I did what I had to.”

“All you had to do was sing her a Turbo song, and she’d have come running to this van.”

Against his will, Jong Kook smiled. He had been surprised when last filming Ji Hyo had revealed herself to be a Turbo fan. Before then, he’d thought she despised his old group. He didn’t know how to describe the feelings that had hit him when he realized she liked—no, she loved—Turbo. He’d been happy, surprised, amused, and flattered, but mostly he’d felt relieved. Turbo was an important, painful, sentimental part of him; he’d joined the entertainment industry through Turbo and established himself as a singer through Turbo. It was important to him that Ji Hyo liked Turbo. But why? Jong Kook supposed it was hard to become friends with someone who disliked such a crucial piece of his past.

“I’ll try singing Turbo next time,” said Jong Kook finally. “It’ll be our trump card.”

He called Gary and placed the cellphone on speaker. The phone rang for a moment, and then Gary answered with a cool “Hello.”

Immediately, Jong Kook adapted a cutesy voice and cried, “My dongsaeng? Where are you my dongsaeng?”

“Aigoo, my hyung,” said Gary, snickering a little. “Where are you?”

“Oh, my dongsaeng,” said Jong Kook. “Right now I’m with our eternal friend, Haha.”

“Oh? Haha’s in the car with you?”

“That’s right.” Jong Kook held the phone out to Haha, who immediately shouted some nonsense.

“That’s Haha,” said Gary.

“Of course,” said Jong Kook. “We’re on our way to pick up Ji Hyo.”

“Hyung is on his way to pick up Ji Hyo?” asked Gary, using his eager Monday Boyfriend voice.

“Yes,” said Jong Kook. “But we figured we’d pick you up first since we’re passing Gangnam 6th Road right now.” 

“What?” Gary sounded shocked. “You’re coming here?”

Haha and Jong Kook exchanged glances. Haha covered up the speaker of the phone and said, “He’s acting suspicious.”

Jong Kook nodded. “We should just grab him and stuff him in the car.”

“Then we’ll get Joong Ki and Ji Hyo.”

After Jong Kook had said goodbye to Gary, Haha leaned back in his seat and said, “I don’t get why you’re so concerned about Ji Hyo, hyung. I think you’re overthinking things again. You did that with Eun Hye and Chae Yeon-noona—” He broke off when Jong Kook sent him a murderous glare. “Okay, okay,” said Haha, “we’ll forget I said anything.”

“Ji Hyo and I are working things out,” said Jong Kook, keeping his eyes on the road.

“Very, very slowly,” muttered Haha.

Jong Kook pretended not to hear him.

 


 

Ji Hyo was amused. Jong Kook and Jae Suk had spent the afternoon calling her while they picked up the other members. Ji Hyo had told Jae Suk that she was leaning towards Jong Kook’s team, which of course, had caused Jae Suk to panic and promise to do whatever she wanted. Sung Gyu had suggested food, and Ji Hyo had told Jae Suk to buy her coffee and grilled beef bibimbab.

“If Jae Suk-oppa really brings coffee and bibimbab, it’d be cruel of me to go with Jong Kook-hyung,” mused Ji Hyo. She was sitting on a leather couch in a private room of the salon, waiting for the other members to come.

“Unless Jong Kook-hyung brings you food as well,” said Sung Gyu cheerfully.

“It’s already a stretch for Jong Kook-hyung to want me on his team,” said Ji Hyo. “Imagine his reaction if I demanded food as well.”

“He needs teammates to win,” said Sung Gyu.

“True.” Ji Hyo checked her phone. There had been messages from Haha and Joong Ki. Apparently, Joong Ki had gotten into Jae Suk’s car, but he wasn’t happy. Haha had said that Gary was refusing to join a team without her. “I think I can make some demands of Jong Kook-hyung, right?”

They discussed the teams for a few more minutes, wondering if Kwang Soo would join with Jong Kook or Jae Suk, before their conversation was interrupted by the ring of Ji Hyo’s cellphone.

“Oh, Ji Hyo,” came Jong Kook’s voice through the speaker. “Where are you?”

“Oppa,” said Ji Hyo, remembering that she was on camera. “Jae Suk-oppa said he’s in the area. He’s buying the grilled beef bibimbab and coffee I wanted, and he’ll be here in five minutes.”

Ji Hyo glanced at Sung Gyu, who was silently laughing. She only hoped Jong Kook understood the meaning behind her words.

There was a pause, and then Jong Kook said, “Apart from bibimbab and coffee, is there any other challenge?”

“Challenges?” Ji Hyo tried to keep the excitement from her voice. He was playing along; he must really want her on his team today.

“What do you want even more?” asked Jong Kook.

It took all of Ji Hyo’s willpower not to grin with delight or let out a little shriek of triumph. She schooled her expression to one of calm confidence—she imagined she was playing the role of the boss lady—and leaned back in her seat. “Oh really? Then I want ddeokbokki, sausages, and fish cakes. Come over quickly. Within five minutes.”

“Within five minutes,” said Jong Kook. “That’s a bit short.”

“Oppa,” said Ji Hyo, barely holding back a smile. “I believe in you.” She pretended to check her phone. “Oh. Jae Suk-oppa’s calling. Remember—ddeokbokki, sausages, and fish cakes. I’m hanging up.”

She pulled the phone away from her ear, snapped it shut, and placed it on the table in front of her. There was no way to keep the smile off her face now. Today was hers. Despite all his grumbling, Jong Kook needed her on his team. She glanced up at Sung Gyu and saw the knowing look on his face. Her smile widened. “I’m in luck today.”

“You’d better share the fish cakes,” said Sung Gyu.

“I got them for you,” said Ji Hyo. “But I don’t know if he’ll have enough time to bring them.”

Sung Gyu looked disappointed.

“I’ll make sure you get your fish cakes,” said Ji Hyo. “You’ve been working hard today.”

“I’ve just been standing in a salon,” said Sung Gyu.

“Hard work,” said Ji Hyo, nodding and smiling.

It was also hard work to sit in a salon and be entertaining for the camera. Ji Hyo spent a few minutes speculating about the teams and whether she would choose Jae Suk or Jong Kook. Then, she ran out of things to say and sat on the couch, staring at the stairwell leading down to the first floor of the salon.

It was a relief when her phone started to ring. She checked the caller ID and saw the name “Lee Kwang Soo”. She answered with “Oh good. I was getting bored.”

Kwang Soo laughed from the other end of the line. “Has no one picked you up yet, noona?”

“They’re both on their way,” said Ji Hyo. “I told them to buy me food first.”

“You asked the hyungs to get you food?” asked Kwang Soo. He sounded both shocked and impressed. The dynamic between sunbae and hoobae was flexible during filming, but Kwang Soo sometimes still felt uncomfortable ordering the hyungs around.

“What about you?” asked Ji Hyo.

“Jong Kook-hyung called me first,” said Kwang Soo. “But then he said I was too far away and hung up.”

Ji Hyo laughed. She could picture Jong Kook doing just that, complaining to the cameras that he’d wasted time.

“Then Jae Suk-hyung told me to take a taxi,” said Kwang Soo.

“You’re in a taxi?” asked Ji Hyo. “Why—” She broke off at the sound of voices in the stairwell. Looking across the room, she saw Jae Suk, Suk Jin, and Joong Ki arguing amongst themselves. Joong Ki was carrying a bag of food.

“Ji Hyo, we really brought it,” said Suk Jin upon seeing her surprised expression.

“Jae Suk-oppa’s here,” Ji Hyo said into the phone before hanging up on poor Kwang Soo. Then, Ji Hyo turned to the bag of food placed one the table. “Did you really?” Ji Hyo opened one of the plastic containers and, sure enough, there was grilled beef bibimbab.

“The Americano got cold in the car,” said Suk Jin, sitting down beside her on the couch.

Ji Hyo glanced at him suspiciously. He was lying to her; there was no way they had time to buy both the coffee and the bibimbab. She was impressed they had bought even bibimbab, but that didn’t mean she wouldn’t tease them a little.

“But I like coffee cold too,” said Ji Hyo.

Suk Jin made a small noise of surprise. “You do?”

“Noona,” said Joong Ki. “I didn’t have time to do my makeup—do you mind?”

After Ji Hyo nodded, a little confused, he slipped into the back room, leaving Ji Hyo with Jae Suk and Suk Jin.

Ji Hyo was relieved Joong Ki needed to his makeup. She had decided to join Jong Kook’s team today since he’d called her first and had actually asked her to be on his team, and well, she wanted to be on his team. However, she felt she couldn’t abandon Jae Suk after he’d bought her grilled beef bibimbab. While Joong Ki was getting his makeup done, it gave Ji Hyo time to think. Haha had sent her a message on Jong Kook’s phone, saying they were on their way but didn’t have time to buy the ddeokbokki, sausages, and fish cakes; Ji Hyo resolved to buy Sung Gyu his fish cakes after filming.

“Where’s Jong Kook?” asked Suk Jin as Ji Hyo began to eat her bibimbab and side dishes.

“Jong Kook-oppa says he’s coming over with ddeokbokki already,” lied Ji Hyo. She enjoyed watching Jae Suk and Suk Jin squirm.

“Jong Kook is coming?” asked Jae Suk, nervously checking his phone. “It’ll be hard for us to leave once he gets here.”

“Yes,” said Ji Hyo. “But he bought ddeokbokki for me. I shouldn’t be rude and leave without it.”

“I bought you grilled beef bibimbab,” said Jae Suk.

Ji Hyo smiled and slowly ate her food. Jae Suk and Suk Jin sat on either side of her, watching her eat. Suk Jin asked for a piece, but Ji Hyo had swatted his hand away. It was her bibimbab. If they wanted some, they should have bought some for themselves. Besides, she had only to look up and see the amused expressions on the VJs’ faces to know she was doing a good job; the viewing audiences loved it when the cast cheated and betrayed.

“You know,” said Suk Jin. “Jong Kook still hasn’t called me.”

Ji Hyo looked up for her food, trying to mask a smile. “He hasn’t called you?”

Jae Suk was hiding a laugh too. “Kook Jong likes efficiency.”

“It would be funny to see you two on a team,” said Ji Hyo.

“The strongest and the weakest,” said Jae Suk. “You would never get to say a word, hyung.”

Suk Jin frowned. “He should at least call me even if he doesn’t want me on his team. He even called Ji Hyo.”

Ji Hyo pulled a face. It was no secret among the Running Man staff that she and Jong Kook argued about teams, but still she didn’t like hearing it said aloud.

“Yah,” said Jae Suk, nodding at the VJs. “Talk like that and they’ll cut your screen time.”

“They can’t show everything,” said Suk Jin.

Jae Suk shook his head.

Then, Suk Jin’s phone started to ring. Eagerly, Suk Jin pulled it out of his pocket, saying, “Is it Jong Kook?”

Jae Suk and Ji Hyo watched Suk Jin read the caller ID. His shoulders slumped a little and he refused the call. “It’s Hyun Woo.” He placed the phone back in his pocket.

Jae Suk glanced at his VJ and then at Suk Jin, a smile on his face. “Why don’t you answer your son’s call?”

“We’re in the middle of filming,” said Suk Jin.

With a little laugh, Jae Suk said, “You just told me they can’t show everything.” When Suk Jin still hesitated, Jae Suk added, “It’s fine. Just pick it up.”

“No,” said Suk Jin. “It might be my wife.”

In the end, Suk Jin did call his son back. At the same time, Joong Ki returned from makeup. Jae Suk jumped up from his seated and started to prepare to leave; he kept glancing at the door as if afraid Jong Kook would appear at the top of the staircase at any second and kidnap his entire team.

“No,” said Joong Ki abruptly. “I’m not done yet, hyung.”

Ji Hyo glanced suspiciously at her dongsaeng. Why was he delaying his team? Did he want to run into Jong Kook?

Jae Suk, who had been in the middle of zipping up his jacket, frowned and said, “Jong Kook’s going to be here any minute. Why do you care about your hair so much?”

He was interrupted by a call from Kwang Soo who must have finally reached his destination. Just as Suk Jin ended his phone call with his son and Jae Suk finished talking to Kwang Soo, Ji Hyo felt her own phone ring. She flipped it open, saw the name “Jong Kook-Hyung”, and pressed the answer button. “Hello?”

“Beautiful Ji Hyo,” said Jong Kook without missing a beat. “We’re almost there. Where are you?”

Ji Hyo fought back a smile as she said, “Second floor, second floor.”

“He’s here!” cried Suk Jin who had been eavesdropping.

Immediately Jae Suk and Suk Jin started to panic. Suk Jin rose from his seat and Jae Suk cried, “Ji Hyo, eat your rice quickly!”

“This is such a joke,” muttered Suk Jin as he started closing the food containers.

“Yah, Ji Hyo,” said Jae Suk. “How can you eat so slowly?”

They packed away her food and started heading for the door, ushering Ji Hyo out of her seat. Joong Ki was looking about nervously. He kept glancing down at his phone.

Jae Suk was already at the top of the stairs, carrying the container of rice that Ji Hyo hadn’t finished eating. He was desperately trying to get Ji Hyo in his car, and while she had been willing to reject Jong Kook since Jae Suk had bought her grilled beef bibimbab, Ji Hyo was starting to change her mind. She hated being pressured into doing things, and that was what Jae Suk was doing right now.

“Why are you taking my rice away?” Ji Hyo stomped her foot dramatically and then giggled at her own ridiculousness. “I was still eating it!”

“We have to go,” said Jae Suk. “And you’ve already had so much to eat already.”

Suk Jin nodded and went to join Jae Suk at the top of the stairs. They started chatting among themselves about how to escape before Jong Kook arrived.

“Fine,” said Ji Hyo, speaking as calmly as she could. “Then I’ll just eat my ddeokbokki and get in Jong Kook-oppa’s car.”

“What?” asked Jae Suk, his head snapping up.

“I said—I’ll just eat my ddeokbokki and get in Jong Kook-oppa’s car!” cried Ji Hyo.

There was a pause. Then, Sun Jin took the box of rice from Jae Suk and practically ran over to Ji Hyo. “Your rice is here.”

It was hard not to laugh at the meekness in Suk Jin’s voice. Ji Hyo tried to keep a straight face, staying in the role of the boss lady, but it was hard not to snicker when she caught sight of Sung Gyu’s amused expression.

She darted past him and then sat down on the coach. She had just opened the box of rice again when Joong Ki moved to join her on the couch.

“I’ve decided to go over to Jong Kook-hyung’s side,” muttered Joong Ki.

“Really?” Ji Hyo felt a thrill run through her.

“Jae Suk-hyung said I was the first,” said Joong Ki, “but Suk Jin-hyung was in the car already when they got to me.”

“Aren’t you being a little childish?” asked Ji Hyo.

Joong Ki elbowed her in the side. “I’m making it more exciting.”

Ji Hyo smiled. Joong Ki was always overenthusiastic in everything he did. It had become an exaggerated part of his character on the show, but it was also true part of his personality. Ji Hyo wished she could make the decision to betray as easily as Joong Ki. But she couldn’t abandon Jae Suk. But she also wanted to be on Jong Kook’s team. But she wasn’t close with Haha and Jong Kook. But it would be fun to mix up the teams. And she hadn’t even thought of her love line with Gary throughout the whole choosing process—and this was just after promising Gary that she’d work harder. Haha had said that Gary was refusing to join a team unless she was in the car. Perhaps Ji Hyo should have been playing up the role of the Monday Girlfriend this whole time. She should be demanding Gary to be in a car before she joined the team—that would have had Jae Suk and Jong Kook running around like crazy. But, well, it was too late to do that now.

Jae Suk and Suk Jin returned the rest of Ji Hyo’s partially eaten food. The private room was crowded with cast members and VJs, making it hard to move. It was a relief when Joong Ki excused himself into the hall to make a phone call, his VJ and Oh PT following him.

“Are you done?” asked Jae Suk, examining the food left over in Ji Hyo’s side dishes.

“Do you want some?” Ji Hyo stood up so that Jae Suk could take her place on the couch.

As Jae Suk dug into the food, Ji Hyo checked her phone for any messages from Haha or Jong Kook. Only Kwang Soo had texted her, complaining about the cold. Ji Hyo ignored his message and looked around the room. She caught sight of Joong Ki in the doorway, gesturing at her to come. Jong Kook was outside the salon.

It was a split second decision. Who’s team should she join—Jae Suk’s or Jong Kook’s? Ji Hyo’s heart skipped a beat and the answer came to her. Jong Kook. It had to be Jong Kook. She loved Jae Suk; he had been there to give advice when she needed it and he had always looked after her, but he would understand. Ji Hyo had to pick Jong Kook.

She walked quickly after Joong Ki, refusing to look back to see if Jae Suk and Suk Jin had noticed her suspicious behavior. Joong Ki led the way out onto the second floor balcony and then down a flight of stairs into the parking lot below. Ji Hyo was practically running at this point. She could hear Sung Gyu rushing behind her.

“I knew you would pick Jong Kook-hyung,” muttered Sung Gyu.

Ji Hyo was grinning when she caught sight of the black van. Joong Ki sat in the back, the door left open for her, while Haha and Jong Kook were in the front.

“Ji Hyo!” cried Haha, getting out of the car. “Over here!”

Abandoning Sung Gyu to find a ride with the other VJs, Ji Hyo hopped into the back of the van with Joong Ki. The door was slammed shut, and they fastened their seat belts.

“Yah, Joong Ki, Ji Hyo!” cried Suk Jin, trying to open the locked passenger door. “How could you do this?”

“Nice job,” said Haha.

Jong Kook waved cordially to the frantic Suk Jin as he put the car in reverse. Ji Hyo covered as she laughed. She couldn’t believe she’d just done that. She really had betrayed Jae Suk and Suk Jin, leaving them without any teammates. She would probably feel guilty about it later. But right then, as she caught Jong Kook’s gaze in the mirror, she couldn’t bring herself to regret the decision.

 


 

Jong Kook’s team ended up winning the race to find the manatee. In his excitement, Jong Kook high-fived Haha and hugged the Song-Song Siblings. He didn’t even think about the consequences of embracing Ji Hyo and promising to buy her and Joong Ki dinner.

“The Song-Song Siblings are evil,” complained Jae Suk as the cast gathered outside the manatee tank.

“If we didn’t have the two of them,” said Jong Kook, “we couldn’t have won.” He grinned at Ji Hyo and Joong Ki.

“I told you, hyung,” said Ji Hyo, “we make a great team.”

“Yah, Ji Hyo,” groaned Jong Kook. “Don’t bring that up. You have no idea what it cost me to call you.”

“It’s true,” said Haha, leaning around Jong Kook to look at Ji Hyo. “He was complaining the whole car ride, but he tried to do everything for you. We were even going to buy you the ddeokbokki but then Joong Ki told us Jae Suk-hyung was already there.”

“What?” cried Jae Suk, rounding on Ji Hyo. “I bought you grilled beef bibimbab and they bought you nothing, and you still chose them over me.”

Jong Kook couldn’t help the smug feeling that filled his chest. He didn’t know why it made him happy that Ji Hyo had picked him over Jae Suk—after all, he was the one who kept telling Ji Hyo that they shouldn’t be on the same team.

“Jong Kook-hyung promised to take us out to dinner after,” said Joong Ki.

“Steak dinner?” asked Ji Hyo, looking at him with big brown eyes.

“I’m grateful,” said Jong Kook, “but not that grateful.”

Ji Hyo laughed. “You at least have to buy fish cakes for poor Sung Gyu.” She gestured to her VJ. “He’s been asking for fish cakes all afternoon.”

“They probably sell some in the aquarium cafeteria,” said Kwang Soo.

“I want fish cakes,” said Gary.

“Me too,” added Joong Ki.

“And ddeokbokki?” asked Ji Hyo. She looked hopefully at Jong Kook.

Jong Kook fought back a sigh. He had promised to buy Ji Hyo ddeokbokki, sausages, and fish cakes if she joined his team. And poor Sung Gyu did look famished.

In the end, the Running Man cast and their VJs went down to the aquarium cafeteria during the break between film segments. Jong Kook got Ji Hyo her ddeokbokki and Sung Gyu his fish cakes. Suk Jin also bought Ji Hyo an Americano as apology for not getting it for her earlier. Then, because his other teammates kept pestering him, Jong Kook bought them food as well.

As they sat and ate, crowded around three plastic tables they had pushed together, the cast members talked about the afternoon’s filming. Kwang Soo grieved over being left in the cold for hours, and Haha described his dream scenario of Jae Suk and Jong Kook fighting over him on the bridge. Ki Jin complained about following Jong Kook in a car all day, while Sung Gyu complained about standing in a salon the whole time. And apparently, Gary had been hiding in his restaurant when Haha and Jong Kook had gone to pick him up. He had also attempted to hide when Jae Suk, Kwang Soo, and Suk Jin came for him, but they’d found him, picked him up, stuffed him in the trunk, and then drove to the aquarium. That was his fate, it seemed, since that had been Jong Kook and Haha’s plan for Gary as well.

After changing into their new outfits (all of them wearing different red and white tops with blue jeans), the cast gathered in front of the manatee tank to hear their next mission. Jong Kook liked aquariums well enough, but Ji Hyo seemed excited about being at the COEX Aquarium, clapping eagerly during the introduction.

“I like being here,” said Joong Ki, who had been prompted by the staff writers. “But I’m a little sad. I wanted to come here with my girlfriend.”

“Why are you always copying me?” cried Ji Hyo suddenly. “I’m always saying I want to come here with my boyfriend.”

Jong Kook thought he saw a bit of blush appear on Joong Ki’s cheeks. But it didn’t matter if Joong Ki still had a crush on Ji Hyo, because Gary suddenly declared, “Right here! I’m right here!”

Ji Hyo smiled at him but kept firmly closed.

Jong Kook grimaced, silently willing her to encourage the love line, say something, flirt back.

However, Jae Suk took over the job for her, saying, “Yes, it’s nice that you two are together here now, but next time you two are alone, you should come here.”

After that, Cho PD went on to explain the next mission. Each person had to take pictures of marine life that look like the other cast members. Then, after picking the best photo, each person could create a profile. After being given their cameras, the cast separated into the aquarium. Jong Kook, Gary, and Haha headed in the opposite direction to the rest of the cast, looking for the turtle tank so they could find one that looked like Gary.

“What fish looks like Jong Kook-hyung?” asked Haha.

“Is there a muscle fish?” asked Gary, inspecting one of the tanks as they passed.

“And what about Jae Suk-hyung,” added Haha. “When I look at him, all I see is a grasshopper.”

“They don’t have insects in the aquarium, do they?” wondered Gary.

They passed into the mammal room where Jong Kook caught sight of a beaver. If he was being honest, Jong Kook had always had a bit of a weakness for cute, fluffy animals. He made a beeline for the beaver enclosure and started taking pictures. His camera was still flashing when Ji Hyo, Kwang Soo, Suk Jin, and Jae Suk entered the room.

“I don’t look like a puffer fish,” Ji Hyo was saying.

“It has the same blank expression,” explained Suk Jin. He stopped by the beaver enclosure to watch one of the creatures play on the rocks.

Jong Kook moved next to him, saying, “So cute.”

Ji Hyo giggled as she peered over Suk Jin’s shoulder at the little beaver. “It is really cute.”

“I want to take him home,” admitted Jong Kook.

“You said your place doesn’t allow pets,” said Kwang Soo. 

“It doesn’t,” said Jong Kook. “Which is why Nibbles is staying here.”

“You named the beaver Nibbles?” asked Jae Suk, joining them at the glass and looking down into the beaver enclosure. “You’re ruining your commander image.”

“It’s funny though,” murmured Suk Jin.

Just as Suk Jin said that an idea struck Jong Kook. He glanced over at Jae Suk and saw that the same idea had occurred to him. The characters on a long-running variety show were always evolving. Yes, Jong Kook was the Commander but that didn’t mean his character had to be one-dimensional. Who had ever heard of a commander who liked cute things? Commander… Commander Kookie. Jong Kook had been running around all afternoon acting as Uri Hyung, and today he felt like Commander Kookie.

“I think you should use a picture of the beaver for your profile,” said Suk Jin, interrupting Jong Kook’s thoughts.

“They don’t look alike at all,” said Jae Suk. “Kook Jong isn’t cute.”

“Oh,” said Suk Jin suddenly, pointing to the other side of the aquarium. “That looks like Gary.”

As his hyungs hurried to the other side of the room, Jong Kook looked around the aquarium, searching for the other cast members. Kwang Soo and Joong Ki had wandered off together, looking at the shark tanks, and Haha was off in a corner, performing a one-man art show. Gary soon joined Haha, and the two friends were taking pictures of each other while lying on the floor. Ji Hyo seemed to be talking to a turtle as she took pictures.

Jong Kook followed his hyungs to the tank where Jae Suk found a stingray that looked like Gary and a pretty fish that looked like Ji Hyo. Suk Jin insisted that the blank-faced puffer fish was a perfect fit for Ji Hyo. Jong Kook disagreed, but he wasn’t going to say in front of the cameras that he thought Ji Hyo was pretty.

Jae Suk and Jong Kook were looking at an octopus that kind of reminded them of Haha when Jong Kook spotted Gary sneaking up and snapping a picture of an unsuspecting Ji Hyo. Ji Hyo turned to Gary surprised, but then she smiled. They talked for a minute and then started walking around together.

“Aw,” said Jae Suk. “They’re on a date.”

Jong Kook grinned. “That’s good. Ji Hyo looks like the Monday Girlfriend for once.”

“She’s becoming more comfortable with Gary.”

“I remember the first day of Monday Couple,” said Jong Kook.

“She begged Suk Jin-hyung and me not to leave,” said Jae Suk, nodding. “And look at her now. Flirting as if she really was dating the guy.” Jae Suk beamed at her like a proud older brother.

“She is an actress,” said Jong Kook.

Jae Suk snorted. “There’s a difference. You’re a terrible actor, but you’re good at love lines.”

Jong Kook didn’t deny it. He’d done some acting during his Turbo years, and now, well, now his acting career was nothing more than embarrassing videos that he didn’t like to talk about.

They watched as Gary surprised Ji Hyo near one of the fish tanks, causing her to yelp. They laughed over their own silliness before Gary left to find Haha. Ji Hyo stood there for a moment, talking to her VJ, and then she turned and caught sight of Jong Kook and Jae Suk watching her.

“You two are adorable,” called out Jae Suk. “You make me want to bring my wife on an aquarium date!”

Her face turned red. She glanced at Jong Kook, and he realized she expected him to say something. For a second his mind went blank. What did she want? Did she want a compliment on her developing variety skills? Or did she expect him to like Jae Suk? Or did she expect him to talk about something else entirely? Jong Kook had never understood women. He’d had no sisters growing up and no female friends in school. And after dating a few women, he understood them even less.

“Have you gotten all your pictures?” asked Jong Kook finally. He figured changing the subject was the safest bet.

“Yes,” said Ji Hyo. “What about you, hyung?”

As Jae Suk wandered off, probably to bother one of his dongsaengs, Jong Kook said, “Yes. Jae Suk and I were just killing time.” He hesitated and then added, “What’s your picture for me?”

Smiling a little, Ji Hyo pulled out her camera and started flipping through the pictures. Jong Kook peered over her shoulder, laughing at the picture of the manatee she took for Suk Jin and the sculpted human picture she took for Gary. She stopped on the face of a thin blue fish. It had small, dark eyes and an almost fierce look. Jong Kook laughed aloud; it really did look like him.

“It looks valiant,” said Jong Kook. “I think it’s the best one yet. You should see the photo of the robot Kwang Soo took for me.” He pulled out his own camera and started looking for the picture of a pink fish he took to represent Ji Hyo.

“Didn’t Jae Suk-oppa pick the same fish?” asked Ji Hyo.

Woong PT signaled that the cast should regroup in front of the manatee tank, and Ji Hyo and Jong Kook headed in that direction.

 “I thought it suited you well,” said Jong Kook. “At least, I didn’t take a picture of a puffer fish or eel like Suk Jin and Haha.”

“Haha took a picture of an eel for me?” cried Ji Hyo.

“He said eels are strong,” said Jong Kook. He figured it was better not to tell Ji Hyo that Kwang Soo had photographed a shark.

“Today’s been fun,” said Ji Hyo suddenly.

Jong Kook glanced sidelong at her as they walked. “Because I asked you to be on my team?”

She nodded. “It’s not every day you treat me to ddeokbokki.”

“Don’t get used to it,” muttered Jong Kook.

“I know, I know,” said Ji Hyo with an exaggerated sigh. “You don’t want a love line.”

Jong Kook grimaced and glanced over at Ki Jin. He had the feeling that behind the camera Ki Jin was secretly laughing at him. Trying to ignore his VJ, Jong Kook turned back to Ji Hyo and said, “Thanks for picking my team.”

Ji Hyo smiled. “It’s not like I had much of a choice.”

And then she quickly walked ahead of him before he could ask what she meant by that.